PDA

View Full Version : Where to sit, if you get a choice.

Church Turtle
02-09-2005, 08:25 AM
OK. I will admit that my experience in the Cell is limited. When you live where I do, making it to Chicago is a special occurance. This year I have to attend a couple of conferences in shakeytown - the conferences are dull, but there is an upside. The SOX are in town, so I'm hoping to make it to 4 games, maybe even 5. But I don't know where I should try to get seats.
Things to keep in mind...
1) These are all night games during the week. (No Mondays)
2) I am on a budget.
3) I am not afraid of the upper deck despite all the trash talking it gets.

So taking all of these things in consideration, where do you think I should try to get my seat? Where do I get the "most bang for my (limited) buck". Where would you sit if you were in my shoes?
Thanks in advance.

SOXintheBURGH
02-09-2005, 08:29 AM
OK. I will admit that my experience in the Cell is limited. When you live where I do, making it to Chicago is a special occurance. This year I have to attend a couple of conferences in shakeytown - the conferences are dull, but there is an upside. The SOX are in town, so I'm hoping to make it to 4 games, maybe even 5. But I don't know where I should try to get seats.
2) I am on a budget.

So taking all of these things in consideration, where do you think I should try to get my seat? Where do I get the "most bang for my (limited) buck". Where would you sit if you were in my shoes?
Thanks in advance.

Being that you rarely go to Chicago, its an absolute essential that you go to beautiful Wrigley Field, a shrine to baseball and the best park in the league, full of history, tradition, and the best fans around.

jlim
02-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Being that you rarely go to Chicago, its an absolute essential that you go to beautiful Wrigley Field, a shrine to baseball and the best park in the league, full of history, tradition, and the best fans around.

:angry: I think you forgot the teal.

QueerGirrl
02-09-2005, 08:43 AM

:tealpolice:

That's the first time I've ever used this, and I hope it's the last.

Sad
02-09-2005, 08:47 AM
if you're on a budget & don't mind the UD, buy the reserved seats(s) and ask for Sec. 520 or 544. Pretty decent view & affordable I think...

JKryl
02-09-2005, 08:50 AM

Are you out of your mind? I think you're on the wrong web site. :angry:

But, to answer the original question, I like right field. The price is almost reasonable, and you get a good view of everything. If you get there early, enter the sportsbar (if you don't have kids with you) and pay a couple of bucks extra for the picnic seats right over the field.

Jerko
02-09-2005, 08:50 AM
I would say sit in right field near section 105. You're close to 2 beer stands, food, and the ramp that leads down to the bullpen bar if you're so inclined. Don't get seats too close to center field or the fan deck will impair your view. Check out the fan deck if you can (I'm assuming that since these games are during the week it won't be rented out). The upper deck is fine but if you go to a beer or food stand up there you can't keep an eye on the game like you can in the lower bowl. Plus, if it's not that crowded of a game, a lot of the stands up there may not be open so if you want something specific to eat or drink you may have to search around for a while. Hope that helps a little.

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 09:00 AM
:angry: I think you forgot the teal.You forgot this, too. :chunks

jabrch
02-09-2005, 09:36 AM
If you are on a budget, show up to the park without tickets...someone in the lot will sell you cheap tickets unless you are talking about a Flubs game.

mweflen
02-09-2005, 09:40 AM
if you're on a budget & don't mind the UD, buy the reserved seats(s) and ask for Sec. 520 or 544. Pretty decent view & affordable I think...

I second this emotion.

Section 520 seats are $14 (still slightly unreasonable, but the most "reasonable" deal in the park), and on the days you specify, you can get rows 1-3 easily. Great view, right at 1st base. And on many of the weeknights you refer to, you will probably be able to "upgrade" to behind home plate if you like.

Why the bias against mondays? I have all nine, section 520, rows 1-6. $7 apiece, baby!

SoxFanTillDeath
02-09-2005, 09:40 AM
About 80% of the time I sit in the upper deck directly behind home plate. I know the ticket pricing is different than it was last year so I don't know if it is as good a deal as it was last year. I was usually faced with choosing between a seat in the corner behind the foul pole, or sitting right behind home plate for a whole lot less/seat. For less money you get a better view of the game from those seats. Also, the incline is nowhere near what everyone says it is. As a matter of fact, it's kinda nice because if you are stuck behind someone like me who is 6' 3", you can still see everything thanks to the "horrible" incline.

That being said, I think you have to sit in the lower deck at least once. I've tried to sit all over the park because I've found the atmosphere and game experience changes depending on where you sit. I've sat everywhere in the park except lower deck, right behind home plate. (A friend used to have season tickets right behind the visitor's dugout...I miss him!) You have to experience the fan deck for at least a few innings. It's a great time.

Hope that helps...

MushMouth
02-09-2005, 09:43 AM
If you'll be solo, you can probably scalp a pretty good seat in the outfield, reserved or bleachers. Also, if you get there early enough, you can nab a seat down in the bullpen bar, which are pretty sweet seats imo.

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 09:45 AM
If you're going on the cheap (and are over 21), the Bullpen Sports bar is a good buy. Any ticket gets you in, so buy the cheapest ticket available. The upper level costs an extra $10 per person, but with the cheap tickets, it's still a bargain overall. Get there when the gates open if you want the upper level, though. It's first-come-first-served, and it fills up. The food is Bertucci Bros. and not the usual ballpark fare, and there's waitress service, so you don't need to get up except to get rid of the excess beer.

Edit: It ought to be especially busy for the Detroit and Baltimore series.:cool:

Dadawg_77
02-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Well why not five different places for five different games. This way you can get a better feel for the park. I have sat everywhere in the park and I love the seats behind Home Plate, which you can usually buy day of. Seeing the pitches coming at you is a cool view. These tickets are $41 dollars. Then get a game in Upper Deck reserve $14. Bleacher are good place to watch a game but are crappy physical seat so if you are concerned about your back, I would avoid them, $24. Lower Deck reserve with is the outfield seat are $2 more but a better seat. Remember if the Sox keep the same policy as previous years, you have to buy a lower deck seat to access the lower deck.

mweflen
02-09-2005, 10:00 AM
About 80% of the time I sit in the upper deck directly behind home plate. I know the ticket pricing is different than it was last year so I don't know if it is as good a deal as it was last year. I was usually faced with choosing between a seat in the corner behind the foul pole, or sitting right behind home plate for a whole lot less/seat. For less money you get a better view of the game from those seats. Also, the incline is nowhere near what everyone says it is. As a matter of fact, it's kinda nice because if you are stuck behind someone like me who is 6' 3", you can still see everything thanks to the "horrible" incline.

Shoot, I have access to Sec. 150 Row 8 seats (3B side, down the line), and half the time I STILL go to the UD to sit behind home plate, just because the view is so much better. Craning my neck at a 60 degree angle for 3 hours AND looking through an aisle of vendors and fans all game just gets to be a bit too much. in 533, you never have to look around someone in front of you, and you can always see what happened on the play.

Sad
02-09-2005, 10:30 AM
agreed mweflen... most of my seats this season are Sec. 146 & Sec. 544... I found I don't enjoy the lower deck if I'm much past 147/117 for the same reasons you stated.

I also prefer to sit closer to the infield (& back several rows if necessary) vs. in the first few rows & down the line...

the outfield offers an entirely different sightline and you don't have that problem, but then I personally don't like OF seats (picky, picky...)

each to their own...

soxrme
02-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I would say sit in right field near section 105. You're close to 2 beer stands, food, and the ramp that leads down to the bullpen bar if you're so inclined. Don't get seats too close to center field or the fan deck will impair your view. Check out the fan deck if you can (I'm assuming that since these games are during the week it won't be rented out). The upper deck is fine but if you go to a beer or food stand up there you can't keep an eye on the game like you can in the lower bowl. Plus, if it's not that crowded of a game, a lot of the stands up there may not be open so if you want something specific to eat or drink you may have to search around for a while. Hope that helps a little.
Either right or left is good,what is different is the beers of the world stand is in left field. You should go down to the bullpen bar though.

HomeFish
02-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Section 159.

You're right behind the bullpen door; various relief pitchers and coaches will come in and out and entertain you (purposefully or otherwise) during the course of the game. I'm not sure if Podsednik is going to be the crowd-pleaser that Carlos Lee was, but who knows.

mweflen
02-09-2005, 10:43 AM
agreed mweflen... most of my seats this season are Sec. 146 & Sec. 544... I found I don't enjoy the lower deck if I'm much past 147/117 for the same reasons you stated.

I also prefer to sit closer to the infield (& back several rows if necessary) vs. in the first few rows & down the line...

the outfield offers an entirely different sightline and you don't have that problem, but then I personally don't like OF seats (picky, picky...)

each to their own...

Yes, I have sat in the OF a few times - it eliminates the angle/people obstruction problem, but it's so far! The infield basically looks like a small patch of dirt, and you can't really see the plays develop with any real sense of depth perception. OF seats are best for... watching the OF.

Any time you have the option for LD seats within the bases, you should take them - actually, row 30 is in some ways better than row 1 - you have a slight elevation which allows you to watch plays better.
But basically, there is no bad LD seat within the bases (120 to 144 or so).

For any budget minded attendee (minus scalping, as mentioned above) I would absolutely recommend 544 or 520.

I want Mags back
02-09-2005, 10:54 AM

***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUsoxfan
02-09-2005, 11:25 AM

SOXintheBurgh has a pretty good reputation (at least with me) around here, so I doubt that he meant that in a serious manner. In the early morning hours I can see where he forgot to click the teal button.

SOXintheBURGH
02-09-2005, 11:28 AM
SOXintheBurgh has a pretty good reputation (at least with me) around here, so I doubt that he meant that in a serious manner. In the early morning hours I can see where he forgot to click the teal button.

Thanks MU.. thats exactly correct.

Sorry everyone.. after nearly 700 posts on this board its time to come clean, I love the Cubs.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-09-2005, 11:28 AM

He's teal-challenged.

:cool:

ewokpelts
02-09-2005, 11:51 AM
If you're going on the cheap (and are over 21), the Bullpen Sports bar is a good buy. Any ticket gets you in, so buy the cheapest ticket available. The upper level costs an extra $10 per person, but with the cheap tickets, it's still a bargain overall. Get there when the gates open if you want the upper level, though. It's first-come-first-served, and it fills up. The food is Bertucci Bros. and not the usual ballpark fare, and there's waitress service, so you don't need to get up except to get rid of the excess beer.

Edit: It ought to be especially busy for the Detroit and Baltimore series.:cool:
dont forget you can get the granton coupon books and use those cheap tix and get int eh bullpen bar too..
Gene

GiveMeSox
02-09-2005, 03:00 PM
2) I am on a budget.

Thanks in advance.

I am always on a budget and manage to get to games. Id say the best bang for you buck is bleacher seats or box seats in the outfield. I love being out there. I dont hate the upper deck, its very nice, i just like being in the lower bowl where all the action is and attractions are. Being close to the outfield concourse is great, pitch speed, fan deck, gathering areas, all the food amenties of the lower deck. I love it. I like the view too, I think we have one of the most underrated outfield seating areas. The upper deck is actually very nice and good view too, I just prefer the outfield area as my choice seating.

jake27
02-09-2005, 04:57 PM
i dont mind the upper deck at all, the bathrooms and concession stands are always open. my favorite seat is sectoion 158 or 159. i love watching the bullpen guys warm up (good place for home runs too). carlos was entertainint out there too. but for me, nothing beats sitting againt that rail and watching the bullpen acton while watching the game.

soxwon
02-09-2005, 06:45 PM
on a sunny day left field reserved outfield

20 rows up, paradise to me.

soxwon
02-09-2005, 06:46 PM
2) I am on a budget.

Thanks in advance.

oh sorry night games, anywhere lower deck.

spawn
02-09-2005, 06:57 PM
I guess I'm spoiled. I like down the right field line, but I get my company seats a lot, which are in section 135. The bad part is, I usually get 6 tickets, but most of my friends are Cub fans, so I usually waste 3.

fed ex 4 pasqua
02-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Left Field Bleachers. Good View And Good Crowd To Talk Baseball

SpammySosa
02-10-2005, 06:56 AM
I guess I'm spoiled. I like down the right field line, but I get my company seats a lot, which are in section 135. The bad part is, I usually get 6 tickets, but most of my friends are Cub fans, so I usually waste 3.

WASTE 3???????????? Why dont you hook up your White Sox brethren on here?:cool:

BainesHOF
02-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Of course the best seats are between the bases. After that, I don't like the seats down the line at all. The seat angle sucks, the vendors are in your way half the time and you get no perspective on pitches. My second choice is the bleachers, the closer toward center (provided you are not being being clocked by the fan deck), the better. You get a great view of pitches and how the hitter reacts to them, and can read where the ball is going off the bat. Plus you're right by beer and food stands and the bathrooms. And it's usually a fun atmosphere. Plus you can spread out a little in your "seat."

I can't imagine anyone prefering the upper deck, unless you're on a budget. The first row in the upper deck is farther away from the field than old Comiskey's last row.

mweflen
02-10-2005, 02:35 PM
I can't imagine anyone prefering the upper deck, unless you're on a budget. The first row in the upper deck is farther away from the field than old Comiskey's last row.

Well, imagine it. The first 5 rows of the UD behind home plate (or anywhere inside the bases, really) are far preferable to me over bleachers. The first row of the bleachers is farther from the action than the last row of the UD inside the bases.

As someone who has actually sat in both places, I can say without hesitation that I'd take any UD seat, any row, within the bases over the best possible bleacher seat - monetary benefit aside.

C-Dawg
02-10-2005, 05:18 PM
I can say without hesitation that I'd take any UD seat, any row, within the bases over the best possible bleacher seat - monetary benefit aside.

For some reason, I like the close-up rows in the bleachers, and on the other side of the fan deck (102, 103, etc.). The last few years, I think I was in 107 more than anyplace else (just above the bullpen bar upper level).

cwsfannick
02-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I like the section I am in. Section 158 a few rows up from the bullpen. You have all the action in front of you and vendors are not walking in your sight line. Another plus is interaction with the guys in the bullpen. This is especially true with Man Soo Lee the bullpen catcher. Very outgoing guy. :smile: Good luck with your search.

Palehose13
02-10-2005, 07:34 PM

Yeah, spawn....let us know. We don't want those tickets to go to waste. :cool:

spawn
02-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Now that I know about this site and I'm member, when I get these tickets, I'll let you guys know. And I won't sell them...they will be for first come first serve.:D:

npdempse
02-11-2005, 12:53 AM
I like the section I am in. Section 158 a few rows up from the bullpen. You have all the action in front of you and vendors are not walking in your sight line. Another plus is interaction with the guys in the bullpen. This is especially true with Man Soo Lee the bullpen catcher. Very outgoing guy. :smile: Good luck with your search.

Yep. My wife and I were in 159 the last couple of seasons (no STs this year with a newborn) and had an absolute blast. The view of the game is great--IMO, it's the best place to judge fly balls--and you tend to be sitting amongst die hards and ST folks. The only problem we had was that Monday and Tuesday nights tend to attract some real jag bags to that area of the park. We've even taken to saying that particularly disheveled people in general look like "half price night at the ballpark."

Now if only I could get everybody else to call Timo "T-Bone"...

BainesHOF
02-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Well, imagine it. The first 5 rows of the UD behind home plate (or anywhere inside the bases, really) are far preferable to me over bleachers. The first row of the bleachers is farther from the action than the last row of the UD inside the bases.

As someone who has actually sat in both places, I can say without hesitation that I'd take any UD seat, any row, within the bases over the best possible bleacher seat - monetary benefit aside.

To each their own. I prefer to look up at fly balls.

mweflen
02-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Church Turtle:

May I direct your attention to the "Friends and Family" sticky thread on the main page. Ewokpelts has graciously posted his code to allow "family" of season ticketholders a $10 per ticket per game discount on tickets, when ordering online for April and May dates, including weekends.

I just ordered 3 games in 520 (I am on a budget, too). It works out after fees to be $7 a ticket. If you prefer UD behind home, it should work out to about $12 per ticket after ticketmaster gouging fees. OF should be about $16 after fees, LD Reserved should be about $18. It's a sweet deal, though it will be for "cold" games. Detroit and Baltimore games are included in April and May, too!

Church Turtle
02-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks to everyone that posted. I've got my tickets and I tried to spread them all over. AND thanks to "uncle Gene", Mr. Ewokpelts, I was able to save 30 bucks on three of the tickets. I'll be at 2 of the Royals games and 2 of the Angels games. For one of the Angel games I will be the "Scouting Seats Turtle of Section 533" :D:

Thanks again.

StockdaleForVeep
02-16-2005, 02:52 PM

http://home.planet.nl/~huijs090/files/exclusive/references/simpsons/04-05-s03.jpg
"chk....chk"

Gremlin3
02-17-2005, 02:40 PM
I never liked the upper deck. I went to the 1st game at the new park and was way up in the nosebleeds. I think it was in one of the rows they removed. I had the 9 game pack last year and was all over the lower deck. It was great.