PDA

View Full Version : Good catcher available...

Jabroni
02-09-2005, 07:20 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=7116Latest News Feb. 9, 2005 - 4:03 am et

Probably because he had surgery to repair a torn labrum last week, Robby Hammock cleared waivers and became a free agent on Tuesday.
No wonder all the interest in Hammock dried up. He won't be able to resume baseball activities for three months after surgery on his throwing shoulder. The Diamondbacks could re-sign him to a minor league deal, but he's no longer a sleeper for fantasy purposes.

Source: Arizona Republic (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0209dbnb0209.html)Robby Hammock's career numbers:
http://www.sports-wired.com/profiles/HA/tbc5578.asp

I would sign him to a minor league deal and let him rehab for next season just like Alex Escobar. I think we will re-sign Pierzynski for 2006 depending on what he does this season but Ben Davis will probably be gone. We could use another good catcher and Hammock can also play LF, RF, and 3B a la Jamie Burke. Hammock seems to be Josh Paul with a good bat. :tongue: He definately fits Ozzie's style as he has good speed for a catcher and he's a good contact hitter.

gosox41
02-09-2005, 09:20 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=7116Robby Hammock's career numbers:
http://www.sports-wired.com/profiles/HA/tbc5578.asp

I would sign him to a minor league deal and let him rehab for next season just like Alex Escobar. I think we will re-sign Pierzynski for 2006 depending on what he does this season but Ben Davis will probably be gone. We could use another good catcher and Hammock can also play LF, RF, and 3B a la Jamie Burke. Hammock seems to be Josh Paul with a good bat. :tongue: He definately fits Ozzie's style as he has good speed for a catcher and he's a good contact hitter.

I think the Sox should be looking at any and all alternatives to finding a good long term catcher for this team. Even if they find a kid who has to back up AJ for the next few years, it'd be nice not to see players that resemble the jokes the Sox farm system and KW has forced down our throats the last few years: Josh Paul, Mark Johnson, and Ben Davis to name a few.

Bob

SOXintheBURGH
02-09-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey, why not? Plus, like you said, can play elsewhere around the park other than behind the plate, if he can be anything like Rob Mackowiak for the Pirates, who essentially is the same thing, its a huge signing.

SoxFanTillDeath
02-09-2005, 10:08 AM
M. Johnson, J. Paul, and B. Davis have all been stop-gaps (and S. Alomar for that matter). None of them was even considered to be a long-term solution to the position. M. Olivo was supposed to be our long term answer at catcher, but he was transformed magically into Freddy Garcia. I have heard that we have several talented catchers in the minors, so we're not completely devoid of talent there.

I think we ought to sign this guy and let him rehab. Give him a few months to see what he's got. If he's better than Davis, we let Davis go next offseason. If not, than vice-versa. It's pretty much a win-win situation. (low risk-decent reward)

gosox41
02-09-2005, 01:48 PM
M. Johnson, J. Paul, and B. Davis have all been stop-gaps (and S. Alomar for that matter). None of them was even considered to be a long-term solution to the position. M. Olivo was supposed to be our long term answer at catcher, but he was transformed magically into Freddy Garcia. I have heard that we have several talented catchers in the minors, so we're not completely devoid of talent there.

I think we ought to sign this guy and let him rehab. Give him a few months to see what he's got. If he's better than Davis, we let Davis go next offseason. If not, than vice-versa. It's pretty much a win-win situation. (low risk-decent reward)

The day a player drafted and devleloped and makes a positive impact on this team will be the first under the KW regime.

I've heard about prospects the last few years that never amounted to much (Borchard comes immediately to mind). All the tools in the world just don't throw him too many curves.

So I have my doubts about the Sox farm system. The fact that the Sox have had stop gap players at the catching position since 1998 says a lot. Where are Jorge Fabregas and Brook Fordyce when you need them?:D:

At least the Sox have AJ. Hopefully he won't be a cancer and can stick around more then a year or 2.

Bob

Flight #24
02-09-2005, 01:53 PM
The day a player drafted and devleloped and makes a positive impact on this team will be the first under the KW regime.

:rowand :burly

"Where the heck did WE come from anyway?"

TheBull19
02-09-2005, 02:01 PM

I don't think they were drafted under this regime - though its a little early to criticize KW for none of HIS picks coming up. If not in the next year or two, though...

Flight #24
02-09-2005, 02:06 PM
I don't think they were drafted under this regime - though its a little early to criticize KW for none of HIS picks coming up. If not in the next year or two, though...

If you want to call "regime" as when KW became GM, then you have to allow at least a few years for "his picks" to develop (as you say). And even then, when you can trade a guy drafted in your regime for an impact player, I'd call that as getting value from your draft picks - see Reed, Jeremy traded for Garcia, Freddy.

The well-publicized failures from the Sox org were all drafted before KW took over as GM: Borchard, Crede, and the numerous pitchers - Rauch, Stumm, Ginter, etc.

gosox41
02-09-2005, 03:28 PM

I see what you mean.

But those guys were drafted/developed while Schu was GM. Maybe KW is in the draft room on draft day, maybe he's out at the beach. But as long as he is in charge of the players that come in/out of this organzation I think he should get the credit/blame for the effectiveness of the Sox farm system.

Bob

gosox41
02-09-2005, 03:32 PM
If you want to call "regime" as when KW became GM, then you have to allow at least a few years for "his picks" to develop (as you say). And even then, when you can trade a guy drafted in your regime for an impact player, I'd call that as getting value from your draft picks - see Reed, Jeremy traded for Garcia, Freddy.

The well-publicized failures from the Sox org were all drafted before KW took over as GM: Borchard, Crede, and the numerous pitchers - Rauch, Stumm, Ginter, etc.

I realize it takes time to revamp a whole farm system. But shouldn't there be be at least a player or 2 out of 4 drafts that should be ready (or close) to contribute to the Sox. While it takes time to fill the holes Schu left and build up depth, it seems a little odd that not one player has made it up to play for the Sox.

It kind of ties in with the trades KW made in 2003. Those guys haven't amounted to anything. But no one thought that highly of them to begin with (outside of wasted first round pick Royce Ring.)

Bob

Flight #24
02-09-2005, 04:38 PM
I realize it takes time to revamp a whole farm system. But shouldn't there be be at least a player or 2 out of 4 drafts that should be ready (or close) to contribute to the Sox. While it takes time to fill the holes Schu left and build up depth, it seems a little odd that not one player has made it up to play for the Sox.

It kind of ties in with the trades KW made in 2003. Those guys haven't amounted to anything. But no one thought that highly of them to begin with (outside of wasted first round pick Royce Ring.)

Bob

Well, Exhibit A would be Jeremy Reed, who resulted in Freddy Garcia. Exhibits B, C, D will be Anderson, Sweeney, BMac and we should know what they're like in about the next year, which would be about right from a timing perspective.

gosox41
02-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Well, Exhibit A would be Jeremy Reed, who resulted in Freddy Garcia. Exhibits B, C, D will be Anderson, Sweeney, BMac and we should know what they're like in about the next year, which would be about right from a timing perspective.

I hope you're right on exhibits B-D. Obviously Exhibit A never played for the Sox. In fact, if the Sox could have any ability to develop a starting pitcher the last 4 years not named Buehrle then it can be argued that Reed would never need to be traded as the Sox were desperate for pitching. But that's another debate.:D:

I look forward to the days when those guys make a positive impact on the Sox.

Bob

JKryl
02-10-2005, 11:11 AM

We haven/t had a decent catcher since Fisk, and please, don't even bring up Karcovice.