PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi projections....

OzzieBall2004
02-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Don't know if anyone posted this....so I apologize in advance if it's old news, but I found this particular interesting.....

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/coming-to-america

I'm excited, and I'll take our chances with pods and him at the top of the order....

Jabroni
02-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Gleeman projects the following numbers for Iguchi in 2005...

.300 AVG
.345 OBP
.425 SLG

These are similar to Placido Polanco's and Chone Figgins' numbers from last season. Not bad. I hope he's right.

NSSoxFan
02-09-2005, 02:13 AM
:threadrules:

Mohoney
02-09-2005, 04:48 AM
Gleeman projects the following numbers for Iguchi in 2005...

.300 AVG
.345 OBP
.425 SLG

These are similar to Placido Polanco's and Chone Figgins' numbers from last season. Not bad. I hope he's right.

Maybe I'm nuts, but that's more than solid-yet-unspectacular production for his sticker price. The .345 OBP might look a little low, but add in 10+ home runs and 30+ (hopefully 40+, because I would run him like hell if I had my way) stolen bases, and that will definitely work for me.

How many everyday 2B in our league will match or surpass these numbers?

balke
02-09-2005, 06:06 AM
Maybe I'm nuts, but that's more than solid-yet-unspectacular production for his sticker price. The .345 OBP might look a little low, but add in 10+ home runs and 30+ (hopefully 40+, because I would run him like hell if I had my way) stolen bases, and that will definitely work for me.

I wouldn't count on 30+. It's not unreasonable to hope or ask, but I wouldn't expect that many. 25 is what we should expect, and 20+ is what we should demand imo.

Mohoney
02-09-2005, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't count on 30+. It's not unreasonable to hope or ask, but I wouldn't expect that many. 25 is what we should expect, and 20+ is what we should demand imo.

I don't expect it, I just want it!

34 Inch Stick
02-09-2005, 09:57 AM
There was another post on here yesterday that projected him with a .270 average.

As for me, I think he will have a rough April and May as he learns the league and culture in which he is living. It will be a test for Ozzie and fans to stick with him during these hard times. He should take off in the second half. I would be a little suprised if his year average is above .280 with 25 steals and 10 HR's.

Tekijawa
02-09-2005, 10:27 AM

And we have him locked up for around the same cash for 3 years!

mweflen
02-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Average seems to translate well from the Japanese leagues (which makes sense, because many of their pitchers seem to be MLB caliber).

So hopefully we can look forward to a .300 hitting 2B!

Dadawg_77
02-09-2005, 10:37 AM
So Ron Beilard or Hudson last year with more speed. They were 6,7 out of 14 in OPS in the Majors for qualified 2B last year. It is a step up from last year with the power. The one thing I don't like is Iguchi didn't walk much in Japan and struck out a lot. Seems to be a bit of free swinger which doesn't matter if you make contact like Ich or Vlad, but doesn't look like Iguchi does that.

OzzieBall2004
02-09-2005, 11:58 PM
The one thing I don't like is Iguchi didn't walk much in Japan and struck out a lot. Seems to be a bit of free swinger which doesn't matter if you make contact like Ich or Vlad, but doesn't look like Iguchi does that.

He batted lower in the order in Japan, and has been quoted as saying he was trying for the homerun in Japan. Batting higher in the order will allow him to relax more and focus more on OBP.

MRKARNO
02-10-2005, 12:06 AM
I think Iguchi's translated numbers dont take into account the fact that he was playing in number one pitchers' park in Japanese baseball and I think he will outperform projections. All of the previous Japanese players were coming from more favorable offensive parks while such is not the case for Iguchi. I think his power numbers won't tank as some of the others coming over have and I think he'll outperform the flat translation.

Jabroni
02-10-2005, 12:24 AM
I think Iguchi's translated numbers dont take into account the fact that he was playing in number one pitchers' park in Japanese baseball and I think he will outperform projections. All of the previous Japanese players were coming from more favorable offensive parks while such is not the case for Iguchi. I think his power numbers won't tank as some of the others coming over have and I think he'll outperform the flat translation.I remember another thread where this was discussed. Iguchi's home stadium in Japan, the Fukuoka Dome, has similar dimensions to the Cell...

Fukuoka Dome's dimensions (http://www.baywell.ne.jp/users/drlatham/baseball/yakyu/stadium/hawks.htm)
LF Corner - 328 feet
RF Corner - 328 feet
Alleys - 387 feet
Center - 400 feet
Fence Height - 19 feet :o:

U.S. Cellular Field's dimensions (http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/USCellularField.html)
LF Corner - 330 feet
RF Corner - 335 feet
Alleys - 375 feet
Center - 400 feet
Fence Height - 8 feet

http://www.baywell.ne.jp/users/drlatham/baseball/yakyu/stadium/hawks.htmFollowing a recent trend, Fukuoka Dome offers "Major League" dimensions. But in their zeal to catch up to North American standards, the ballpark's architects went a wee bit too far.

The 5.8 meter (19 foot) outfield wall lies 100 meters (328 feet) from home plate along the foul lines, 118m (387 ft.) in the power alleys and 122m (400ft) to straight-away center field. Few Major League parks have deeper alleys. Not surprisingly, fewer home runs are hit at Fukuoka Dome than any other Japanese park.The Fukuoka Dome is the biggest pitcher's park in Japan. It has deeper alleys and only slightly shallower corners than the Cell while center is exactly the same but the Fukuoka Dome has a 19 foot wall in the outfield! :o: That definately makes the Fukuoka Dome more of a pitcher's park than the Cell. The only thing that Iguchi has to worry about when hitting at home is his adjusting to MLB pitching. Iguchi may not lose as many home runs as some people expect. :bandance:

SOXintheBURGH
02-10-2005, 12:58 AM
I remember another thread where this was discussed. Iguchi's home stadium in Japan, the Fukuoka Dome, has similar dimensions to the Cell...

Fukuoka Dome's dimensions (http://www.baywell.ne.jp/users/drlatham/baseball/yakyu/stadium/hawks.htm)
LF Corner - 328 feet
RF Corner - 328 feet
Alleys - 387 feet
Center - 400 feet

U.S. Cellular Field's dimensions (http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/USCellularField.html)
LF Corner - 330 feet
RF Corner - 335 feet
Alleys - 375 feet
Center - 400 feet

http://www.baywell.ne.jp/users/drlatham/baseball/yakyu/stadium/hawks.htmThe Fukuoka Dome is the biggest pitcher's park in Japan. It has deeper alleys and only slightly shallower corners than the Cell while center is exactly the same but the Fukuoka Dome has a 19 foot wall in the outfield! :o: That definately makes the Fukuoka Dome more of a pitcher's park than the Cell. The only thing that Iguchi has to worry about when hitting at home is his adjusting to MLB pitching. Iguchi may not lose as many home runs as some people expect. :bandance:

All I have to say is:

OOO-EEEE-OOO
Tada-hito!

I'm getting more and more excited to see him play for us. Damn.

JUribe1989
02-10-2005, 09:07 AM
As far as being a replacement for Harris goes, all he needs to do is run the bases and field his position well. I think he has a natural ability to hit in the .280-.290 range. I can't wait to have that great bat hitting ninth with all that speed he has to offer at the bottom of the order. Now we won't have to assume that when we get to 7,8,9 that it's an automatic 1-2-3 inning. Now we will have AJ, Crede, and Iguchi. If Crede has a year that I am expecting him to have (.260 26 HR) then look at all that hitting at the bottom of the order.:bandance:

MIgrenade
02-10-2005, 09:26 AM
I love that the article mentions not knowing anything about the move because it was "under the radar."