PDA

View Full Version : Randar

Vsahajpal
10-24-2001, 02:43 AM
What's the story on Valenzuela?

I believe he's the oldest prospect at Mesa, and fared pretty well at Birmingham and briefly at Charlotte. Obviously the OBP needs to improve greatly (in a short time), but are the Sox still high on him?

Personally, I don't see him being rostered, so he may get drafted in the Rule V shortly by some team needing a Rosey Brown type.

He's got tremendous power, and surprisng speed, much better in the outfield than Rosey Brown.

Randar68
10-24-2001, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
What's the story on Valenzuela?

I believe he's the oldest prospect at Mesa, and fared pretty well at Birmingham and briefly at Charlotte. Obviously the OBP needs to improve greatly (in a short time), but are the Sox still high on him?

Personally, I don't see him being rostered, so he may get drafted in the Rule V shortly by some team needing a Rosey Brown type.

He's got tremendous power, and surprisng speed, much better in the outfield than Rosey Brown.

Personally, I believe he may have been placed in the AFL not because of his prospect status, although he did perform well, but instead because they wanted to showcase him. There is no position for him in Chicago in the near future with Lee, Rowand, Maggs and Borchard all ahead of him, added to his inability to play CF and likely too-weak arm for RF.

As far as I can tell, the Sox are intrigued, but as he is older and was late to develop, I think they are showcasing him to raise his trade value and interest. He could then be used as secondary-value in a big trade or part of a smaller deal...If Rowand was traded, I believe Mario could fill that void, but you are correct, his plate discipline needs some real work, he never saw a pitch he didn't think he could hit...

duke of dorwood
10-24-2001, 11:04 AM
In the AA wrap-up on WS.com, he doesn't get a mention for any special accomplishments, nor shows up in any statistical team leaders areas. Sounds like a showcase to me. That performance just got him noticed.

Randar68
10-24-2001, 11:23 AM
In the AA wrap-up on WS.com, he doesn't get a mention for any special accomplishments, nor shows up in any statistical team leaders areas. Sounds like a showcase to me. That performance just got him noticed.

Well he spent most of half the season in Charlotte, so his season totals as far as RBI, HR's, etc, aren't that high in AA, and he had too few AB's to qualify for batting average leaders in either league...

Vsahajpal
10-24-2001, 03:52 PM
ok, thanks Randar. He went yard again last night...and even drew a walk.

here's a list of the Sox 6 year ML free agents:

CHICAGO-AL (19)
Pitchers: Travis Baptist, Kirk Bullinger, Archie Corbin, Denny McDaniel, Geronimo Mendoza, Mike Porzio, Steve Schrenk, Jason Secoda, Steve Sinclair, Eric Weaver.
Catcher: Mark Dalesandro.
Infielders: Amaury Garcia, Jason Hardtke, Aaron Miles, Liu Rodriguez, Toby Rumfield, Chris Saunders.
Outfielders: Jeff Barry, Rick Prieto.

I don't see them rostering any of them...maybe Jeff Barry, heh.

FarWestChicago
10-24-2001, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I don't see them rostering any of them...maybe Jeff Barry, heh. Damn, that was cold, Vic. But, it was a good one. :)

Randar68
10-24-2001, 04:14 PM
CHICAGO-AL (19)
Pitchers: Travis Baptist, Kirk Bullinger, Archie Corbin, Denny McDaniel, Geronimo Mendoza, Mike Porzio, Steve Schrenk, Jason Secoda, Steve Sinclair, Eric Weaver.
Catcher: Mark Dalesandro.
Infielders: Amaury Garcia, Jason Hardtke, Aaron Miles, Liu Rodriguez, Toby Rumfield, Chris Saunders.
Outfielders: Jeff Barry, Rick Prieto.

I don't see them rostering any of them...maybe Jeff Barry, heh.

None of those guys are likely to be Rule V pickups, they all pretty much suck.

Baptist, McDaniel, Mendoza, and Liu are the only ones there with really any chance of ever seeing future MLB playing time...