PDA

View Full Version : 2007 All-Star game site

NUCatsFan
02-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Just heard the report on ESPN Radio, and saw this (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050208&content_id=940943&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp) on MLB.com

San Francisco will host the 2007 ASG. Hope I'm still out here then :)

GiveMeSox
02-09-2005, 01:28 AM
Just heard the report on ESPN Radio, and saw this (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050208&content_id=940943&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp) on MLB.com

San Francisco will host the 2007 ASG. Hope I'm still out here then :)

Thats retarded cuz it means the NL has the ASG two years in a row. Its in Piit in 06 and now SF in 07, not fair.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Thats retarded cuz it means the NL has the ASG two years in a row. Its in Piit in 06 and now SF in 07, not fair.
It is silly because they're breaking a tradition that's been around since the original ASG at Comiskey in 1933. Also, this is a major disadvantage to the AL because THIS TIME, IT COUNTS! Darn you, Bud Selig! :angry:

NSSoxFan
02-09-2005, 01:35 AM

:tool
"Hey security, get this GiveMeSox out of her please. Next Question..."

chisoxmike
02-09-2005, 01:44 AM
I heard last year that they wanted to show off a lot of the new parks in baseball so they were going to stop the AL to NL locations for a while. I heard about Pittsberg in 2006, San Fran in 2007, and then in 2008 Tropaicana Field???????? Thats what I remember from a baseball tonight segement last summer. We all know who 100% correct Baseball Tonight is.

NSSoxFan
02-09-2005, 01:51 AM
I heard last year that they wanted to show off a lot of the new parks in baseball so they were going to stop the AL to NL locations for a while. I heard about Pittsberg in 2006, San Fran in 2007, and then in 2008 Tropaicana Field???????? Thats what I remember from a baseball tonight segement last summer. We all know who 100% correct Baseball Tonight is.

Home Run Derby 2008

Chris Berman: "Back, back, back, back, and it hits the catwalk. I'm an idiot."

Viva Medias B's
02-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Will this mean two consecutive years of the pitcher batting in the ASG or will Uncle Bud come up with some inane thing to get around that?

Max Power
02-09-2005, 12:16 PM
This is retarded. MLB makes a big deal about how the ASG counts now (which is a whole other debate) and now they're going to put the AL as the road team- and a competative disadvantage- for two years in a row! Either treat it like a real game or treat it like an exhibition, but you can't have it both ways.

SOXintheBURGH
02-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Who has it in 05?

Cell - Houston - ? - PNC - SBC...

Mickster
02-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Who has it in 05?

Cell - Houston - ? - PNC - SBC...

Detroit Tigers.

SOXintheBURGH
02-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Detroit Tigers.

Lame. Could be worse I guess, better than say Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Tropicana or Skydome aka Rogers Centre.

Brian26
02-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Lame. Could be worse I guess, better than say Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Tropicana or Skydome aka Rogers Centre.

Fenway just had it in '99.

ewokpelts
02-09-2005, 02:09 PM
The thing I dont like is that pittsburgh will have 2 all star games in a 12 year period(1994 and 2006)...meanwhile it took them 35 years to get the tigers another asg...

Gene

chisox2005
02-09-2005, 02:24 PM
The next two all-star games are basically in the best AL pitchers park and the best NL pitchers park. Should be a couple low scoring homerun derby's after Houston.

jortafan
02-09-2005, 04:03 PM
I guess it's a good thing we got the game in 2003.

It probably doesn't hurt our chances of seeing an All-Star Game anytime soon, since we're (likely) not getting it again until 2033. And no, I refuse to see an all star game played on the North Side.

RKMeibalane
02-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Once again, Selig proves just how big of a piece of **** he is by allowing this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There was nothing wrong with alternating AS Game sites from year-to-year. If Bud is worried about showing off the new parks, I don't see how waiting until 2008 will hurt anything. Sheesh!

:tool :jerry

"If it's fixed, break it."

AZChiSoxFan
02-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Once again, Selig proves just how big of a piece of **** he is by allowing this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There was nothing wrong with alternating AS Game sites from year-to-year. If Bud is worried about showing off the new parks, I don't see how waiting until 2008 will hurt anything. Sheesh!

:tool :jerry

"If it's fixed, break it."

MLB wants to showcase new ballparks, nothing wrong with that, IMO. The simple fact of the matter is that there are a greater number of new parks in the NL, compared to the AL, and that's why MLB went away from rotating on a year to year basis. In the AL, there are only 2 completely new stadiums that have yet to host an AS game, Tampa and Detroit. Detroit gets it this summer, and Tampa, well I think that goes without saying. By the way, if you are thinking of Anaheim, while it had an extensive renovation, it is technically not a new ballpark. In the NL, Arizona, San Diego, San Fran, Cincinnati, Pitt, and Philly all have new stadiums that have yet to host the AS game. Plus, within a few years, there will be new stadiums in St. Louis and Washington.

I want Mags back
02-10-2005, 01:48 PM

I think they may be having 2 straight NL's to get on track to have the 100th game(in an even year) back here at the Cell, as we should have it.

YOU CAN PUT MY 100th POST ON THE BOARD

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2005, 01:52 PM
I think they may be having 2 straight NL's to get on track to have the 100th game(in an even year) back here at the Cell, as we should have it.

That's an interesting theory. However we have plenty of empirical evidence to suggest NOTHING in MLB is planned beyond the horizon of the next network TV deal or CBA negotiations with the players union.
:cool:

ewokpelts
02-10-2005, 02:10 PM
That's an interesting theory. However we have plenty of empirical evidence to suggest NOTHING in MLB is planned beyond the horizon of the next network TV deal or CBA negotiations with the players union.
:cool:
:tool :reinsy

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

oeo
02-10-2005, 04:48 PM

Wow, they better not put it in Tampa, what a dump that place is. It hurts my eyes to look at Tropicana Field.

ewokpelts
02-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Wow, they better not put it in Tampa, what a dump that place is. It hurts my eyes to look at Tropicana Field.
they need it more than pittsburg or san francisco...the number of ST packages sold for ASG tix can give than team a quick shot in the arm...the marlins need one too...they were SUPOSSED to have the 2000 asg, but it was given to atlanta when florida wouldnt give the marlins a stadium

Gene

SABRSox
02-10-2005, 05:18 PM
MLB wants to showcase new ballparks, nothing wrong with that, IMO.

I think there is a problem with that. Selig is using the all-star game as a reward to teams who are successfully able to lobby local governments into building stadiums for baseball teams, and thus pressuring cities like Miami and Oakland and wherever else Selig has deemed the stadium "ecconomically disastrous" to the ballclub, to build new ones. The game is supposed to be a reward for the fans, not the owners and, there should be some sort of regular rotation on where the game is played. It is crazy that a place like Detroit has to wait 35 years (and build a new stadium) in order to get the game.

AZChiSoxFan
02-10-2005, 05:26 PM
I think there is a problem with that. Selig is using the all-star game as a reward to teams who are successfully able to lobby local governments into building stadiums for baseball teams, and thus pressuring cities like Miami and Oakland and wherever else Selig has deemed the stadium "ecconomically disastrous" to the ballclub, to build new ones. The game is supposed to be a reward for the fans, not the owners and, there should be some sort of regular rotation on where the game is played. It is crazy that a place like Detroit has to wait 35 years (and build a new stadium) in order to get the game.

Just my opinion, but I would rather see AS games in nice stadiums such as those in San Fran, Pittsburgh and Detroit as opposed to the dumps in Tampa and Minnesota or multipurpose venues like the one in Miami.

SABRSox
02-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Just my opinion, but I would rather see AS games in nice stadiums such as those in San Fran, Pittsburgh and Detroit as opposed to the dumps in Tampa and Minnesota or multipurpose venues like the one in Miami.

What's the difference? No matter where they play it you see the same thing: some idiot on a cell phone waving, and a giant, gaudy ad behind home plate for some stupid FOX reality show.

AZChiSoxFan
02-10-2005, 05:38 PM
What's the difference? No matter where they play it you see the same thing: some idiot on a cell phone waving, and a giant, gaudy ad behind home plate for some stupid FOX reality show.

Well, you make a great point!

NSSoxFan
02-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Well, you make a great point!

Why hasn't there been an ASG in Arizona??

AZChiSoxFan
02-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Why hasn't there been an ASG in Arizona??

There's been a lot of discussion about that on the local sports scene in Phoenix. Officially, Selig has told D-back execs that it's simply a case of a lot of new stadiums opening up, etc. etc. However, several stadiums that opened after Bank One Ballpark have already hosted the game, or are scheduled to host. Most people believe that Selig is "punishing" the franchise for all of the deferred contracts they gave out in 2000 and 2001 and for the fact that MLB had to guarantee a large loan for the team back in either 2002 or 2003 (I forget exactly when it was). When the D-backs started operations in 1995 (first season on the field was 1998) a lot of their front office people were pretty arrogant and rubbed some key people in MLB the wrong way. Plus, even though they have a retractable dome, it's typically about 105-110 degrees in mid-July, so it's not exactly a prime vacation spot in the summer.

FedEx227
02-10-2005, 07:04 PM

Yeah that is NO DOUBT the ugliest/most boring field in baseball...i hope to GOD they don't put an ASG there. They might as well put it in the AllState Arena.

Hangar18
02-14-2005, 10:47 AM
:tool " Beginning after the 2007, the All-Star Games will be held every other year at Beautiful Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. I believe fans will appreciate this as its good for the game"

Hangar18
02-14-2005, 11:31 AM
There's been a lot of discussion about that on the local sports scene in Phoenix. Officially, Selig has told D-back execs that it's simply a case of a lot of new stadiums opening up, etc. etc. However, several stadiums that opened after Bank One Ballpark have already hosted the game, or are scheduled to host. Most people believe that Selig is "punishing" the franchise for all of the deferred contracts they gave out in 2000 and 2001 and for the fact that MLB had to guarantee a large loan for the team back in either 2002 or 2003 (I forget exactly when it was). When the D-backs started operations in 1995 (first season on the field was 1998) a lot of their front office people were pretty arrogant and rubbed some key people in MLB the wrong way. Plus, even though they have a retractable dome, it's typically about 105-110 degrees in mid-July, so it's not exactly a prime vacation spot in the summer.

This is the Franchise that pushed Bud Selig around and DEMANDED they be placed in the National League, and NOT the American League, despite the fact that Expansion dictated the next 2 teams be American League teams.
Bud of course, was looking out for his own interests at the time and "let"
the DBacks go to the NL, knowing he could finally make true his perverse dream of owning a NL team

Ol' No. 2
02-14-2005, 11:38 AM
This is retarded. MLB makes a big deal about how the ASG counts now (which is a whole other debate) and now they're going to put the AL as the road team- and a competative disadvantage- for two years in a row! Either treat it like a real game or treat it like an exhibition, but you can't have it both ways.Why is the road team at a competitive disadvantage in the All-Star game? Aren't the players pretty much all on the road?