PDA

View Full Version : Southpaw

soxfan123
02-08-2005, 09:50 PM
What is the origin of our new mascot, "southpaw"?

Anybody know what's going on there?

Parrothead
02-08-2005, 09:58 PM
He was a left handed pitcher in the farm system who blew out his arm.:tongue:

SoxFan76
02-08-2005, 10:03 PM
I assume it's another step in creating the family atmosphere at The Cell. I got no problem with Southpaw, but some people here seem to think he's the worst thing that's happened to this team since Todd Ritchie. These might be the same people who are against FUNdamentals. Who needs kids anyways? What have they done for us lately?

steff
02-08-2005, 10:21 PM
I don't mind a mascot.. but he's scaaaarrryyy. :o:

JUribe1989
02-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Ya gotta love Southpaw, and for all of you haters at least he doesn't get in your way when you are watching the game. He just wanders the concourse.

basilesox
02-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Ya gotta love Southpaw, and for all of you haters at least he doesn't get in your way when you are watching the game. He just wanders the concourse.

Does anybody have a picture?

soxfan43
02-08-2005, 11:58 PM
i was at the bears packers game and they had some bizarre mascott football game during half time. hate to say it, but there were more boo's for Southpaw than for the blackhawks mascot

HebrewHammer
02-09-2005, 12:14 AM
:LTP
"Kenny, you said I could stay with the team, but...yeah, I deserve this. Hand me the head."

soxfan123
02-09-2005, 12:17 AM
:LTP
"Kenny, you said I could stay with the team, but...yeah, I deserve this. Hand me the head."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

soxfan123
02-09-2005, 12:23 AM
If you want to see some pictures of southpaw..go to www.whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com) and click on the southpaw gallery just below the main headline...theres a few of them...hilarious

Jjav829
02-09-2005, 12:27 AM
I'm just hoping Southpaw doesn't get caught selling weed one day.

Church Turtle
02-09-2005, 12:30 AM
I say anything that interests the kids, give them something to remember fondly about attending the game, great. When they're a little older they won't care about a mascot one way or the other, but hopefully by then they'll want to come to the Cell to see the SOX play ball. Wouldn't you rather have that than seeing kids pursue other interests.

Same thing goes for dog day and the shower and the rain room and you name it. If my kids remember doing fun things at the ball park, they'll equate going to the ball park with having a good time. Then, by the time they start playing little league and collecting baseball cards no other team will have that long-term attachment for them.

FightingBillini
02-09-2005, 12:49 AM
I say anything that interests the kids, give them something to remember fondly about attending the game, great. When they're a little older they won't care about a mascot one way or the other, but hopefully by then they'll want to come to the Cell to see the SOX play ball. Wouldn't you rather have that than seeing kids pursue other interests.

Same thing goes for dog day and the shower and the rain room and you name it. If my kids remember doing fun things at the ball park, they'll equate going to the ball park with having a good time. Then, by the time they start playing little league and collecting baseball cards no other team will have that long-term attachment for them.

<[Ignorant tyrannical blowhard rant]> NO! Southpaw is garbage. I hate him because the Cubs fans make fun of him. We should not appeal to kids. We shouldnt market to them. They dont care anyway. When I was a kid we used to have to walk to the park 20 miles, up hill both ways. And we watched the game because it was baseball, not because of a damn mascot or a playpen. My father would beat me if I didnt pay attention to the game, so I never needed fundamentals to get interested. I hate all improvements to the Sox experience that dont revolve around me. Instead of Southpaw, they should have Hooters girls that give out free beer. Instead of fundamentals, they should have put a giant beer garden. Then they could put a Hooters in where fundamentals used to be, and build a RF home run porch slash beer garden. Beer beer beer. Cant get enough beer. Oh God, I hate myself. Im an alcoholic. I hate my life , I hate baseball, and I hate children. <[/Ignorant tyrannical blowhard rant]>

jabrch
02-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Does anybody have a picture?

Are you talkin to me?

SoxxoS
02-09-2005, 01:19 AM
I think he is hella cool looking.

nccwsfan
02-09-2005, 06:30 AM
Why didn't they just bring back Ribbie and Roobarb? Why did they leave in the first place???

Church Turtle
02-09-2005, 07:02 AM
<[Ignorant tyrannical blowhard rant]> NO! Southpaw is garbage. I hate him because the Cubs fans make fun of him. We should not appeal to kids. We shouldnt market to them. They dont care anyway. When I was a kid we used to have to walk to the park 20 miles, up hill both ways. And we watched the game because it was baseball, not because of a damn mascot or a playpen. My father would beat me if I didnt pay attention to the game, so I never needed fundamentals to get interested. I hate all improvements to the Sox experience that dont revolve around me. Instead of Southpaw, they should have Hooters girls that give out free beer. Instead of fundamentals, they should have put a giant beer garden. Then they could put a Hooters in where fundamentals used to be, and build a RF home run porch slash beer garden. Beer beer beer. Cant get enough beer. Oh God, I hate myself. Im an alcoholic. I hate my life , I hate baseball, and I hate children. <[/Ignorant tyrannical blowhard rant]>
LOL :D:
(and a little 24-0 "how about that!" to you, too.)

PaleHoseGeorge
02-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Why didn't they just bring back Ribbie and Roobarb? Why did they leave in the first place???

Ribbie & Roobarb have a whole new gig (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/Fun&Games/RibRoob.htm). It pays better than the Sox, too.
:wink:

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 10:20 AM
What is the origin of our new mascot, "southpaw"?That's easy.
:bong:

I want Mags back
02-09-2005, 12:12 PM
i was at the bears packers game and they had some bizarre mascott football game during half time. hate to say it, but there were more boo's for Southpaw than for the blackhawks mascot

I think all of Chicago's mascots kick ass

ode to veeck
02-09-2005, 12:44 PM
That's easy.
:bong:

Had to have been stronger stuff that just weed, more likely a combination of heavy synthetic hallucinagens derived from ergot molds. Southpaw is truely pathetic and embarassing to Sox fans everywhere. What's next?, more dot races, a return of 'the wave', yuppie Passat races in the parking lot!?

Gimme a break. I have plenty of better material for fond memories of games I attended as a young kid, the games, the players, hanging out with dad and grandpa's friends, etc. I'll take Yago Sangria seat cushion night anytime over a friggin' goofy distraction of a mascot.

FightingBillini
02-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Had to have been stronger stuff that just weed, more likely a combination of heavy synthetic hallucinagens derived from ergot molds. Southpaw is truely pathetic and embarassing to Sox fans everywhere. What's next?, more dot races, a return of 'the wave', yuppie Passat races in the parking lot!?

Gimme a break. I have plenty of better material for fond memories of games I attended as a young kid, the games, the players, hanging out with dad and grandpa's friends, etc. I'll take Yago Sangria seat cushion night anytime over a friggin' goofy distraction of a mascot.

Thank you for demonstrating my point. See above^^

jabrch
02-09-2005, 03:40 PM

Are you kidding? As a kid, I loved watching R&R roll around on their tricycle. It was a cool distraction to me. Just cuz it doesn't make me happy as a 35 year old, doesn't mean I don't think it is a good thing to have at the park.

Kids pay (via their parents) the same thing for tickets (in general) as adults do. And a kid today will become an adult tomorrow. Marketing the product to children, IN ADDITION TO ADULTS, is a good thing.

As far as Southpaw goes - who cares if he looks like a cross between Barney, Oscar the Grouch, and Snuffalopogos? It's not for you at all. Obviously he was designed to be kid friendly and to satisfy them. I went to probably 25 games last year - and didn't see Southpaw ONCE interfere with the game, be on the field during the game, or have any negative impact on my baseball experience.

mweflen
02-09-2005, 03:47 PM
This one's so easy I can't believe everyone has missed it.

The TRUE origin of Southpaw::kermit

FightingBillini
02-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Are you kidding? As a kid, I loved watching R&R roll around on their tricycle. It was a cool distraction to me. Just cuz it doesn't make me happy as a 35 year old, doesn't mean I don't think it is a good thing to have at the park.

Kids pay (via their parents) the same thing for tickets (in general) as adults do. And a kid today will become an adult tomorrow. Marketing the product to children, IN ADDITION TO ADULTS, is a good thing.

As far as Southpaw goes - who cares if he looks like a cross between Barney, Oscar the Grouch, and Snuffalopogos? It's not for you at all. Obviously he was designed to be kid friendly and to satisfy them. I went to probably 25 games last year - and didn't see Southpaw ONCE interfere with the game, be on the field during the game, or have any negative impact on my baseball experience.

<[Ignorant tyrannical grizzled blowhard rant]> NO! You are wrong! Kids shouldn't go to games unless they are going to watch the game. We dont need them as fans! Kids dont make their parents buy tickets. Parents take their kids just because, and not because the kids want to go. We never had any new fangled mascots when I was a youngin'. We would either watch the game, or get a good butt whoopin' from our pappies. I dont want Sox fans who ever liked mascots. If you cant focus on 3 hours of baseball when you are 5, then the Sox dont need you no matter how old you are!!! I dont want the Sox doing ANYTHING that doesnt directly benefit me or catch my interest. I dont care that I have never once seen Southpaw at the Cell. I know he is there, I can feel him, and I am disgusted by his mere presence. He embarasses me because the Cubs fans drunkenly make fun of him, and I have an inferiority complex to the Cubs. Southpaw gives Cubs fans the upper hand! Instead of a damn mascot, they should have Hooters girls that walk around. They could carry beer gun backpacks, and pick random people to give a beer shower. THAT WOULD BENEFIT EVERYONE IN THE PARK.<[/Ignorant tyrannical grizzled blowhard rant]>

JB98
02-09-2005, 06:21 PM
<[Ignorant tyrannical grizzled blowhard rant]> NO! You are wrong! Kids shouldn't go to games unless they are going to watch the game. We dont need them as fans! Kids dont make their parents buy tickets. Parents take their kids just because, and not because the kids want to go. We never had any new fangled mascots when I was a youngin'. We would either watch the game, or get a good butt whoopin' from our pappies. I dont want Sox fans who ever liked mascots. If you cant focus on 3 hours of baseball when you are 5, then the Sox dont need you no matter how old you are!!! I dont want the Sox doing ANYTHING that doesnt directly benefit me or catch my interest. I dont care that I have never once seen Southpaw at the Cell. I know he is there, I can feel him, and I am disgusted by his mere presence. He embarasses me because the Cubs fans drunkenly make fun of him, and I have an inferiority complex to the Cubs. Southpaw gives Cubs fans the upper hand! Instead of a damn mascot, they should have Hooters girls that walk around. They could carry beer gun backpacks, and pick random people to give a beer shower. THAT WOULD BENEFIT EVERYONE IN THE PARK.<[/Ignorant tyrannical grizzled blowhard rant]>

I think the Cubs fans are the ones with the inferiority complex. After all, Southpaw has a higher IQ than the average Cubs fan; therefore they are just jealous of him.

Fenway
02-09-2005, 06:22 PM
The Red Sox mascot is just bland

http://www.bosoxclub.org/images/clinic7_2003_wally_250.gif

SOXintheBURGH
02-09-2005, 06:45 PM

Works with cigarettes. Get em started when they're 8, right?

cubhater
02-09-2005, 08:42 PM

It's Kermit the Frog on 'roids! I wonder if Canseco injected some in his butt?

nccwsfan
02-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Ribbie & Roobarb have a whole new gig (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/Fun&Games/RibRoob.htm). It pays better than the Sox, too.

:smile: Very funny PHG! Glad to see they're doing well with their second careers...

jabrch
02-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Works with cigarettes. Get em started when they're 8, right?

It works with lots of things... If kids grow up liking something for one reason, they often continue to find other reasons to like it as they age.

Southpaw does NOTHING bad for anyone. He doesn't stand on the dugout. He doesn't run the bases. He doesn't clown with the players. There is absolutely no reason anyone should be anti-southpaw. Those with kids, or even those without kids interested in seeing the game promoted to youth (I fall in this group) see Southpaw as a great way to keep kids interested in baseball.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Southpaw does NOTHING bad for anyone. He doesn't stand on the dugout. He doesn't run the bases. He doesn't clown with the players. There is absolutely no reason anyone should be anti-southpaw. Those with kids, or even those without kids interested in seeing the game promoted to youth (I fall in this group) see Southpaw as a great way to keep kids interested in baseball.

Yeah, but Southpaw looks a little paunchy in that picture. Call up BALCO and get him a tube of the clear. That ought to fix it.

SpammySosa
02-10-2005, 07:51 AM
It works with lots of things... If kids grow up liking something for one reason, they often continue to find other reasons to like it as they age.

I fell in love with baseball as a 5 year old and I didn't need some silly green Barney wannabe to keep me interested. I think the game sells itself,no matter what age you are.

jabrch
02-10-2005, 10:38 AM
I fell in love with baseball as a 5 year old and I didn't need some silly green Barney wannabe to keep me interested. I think the game sells itself,no matter what age you are.

That's great - we are happy for you. Now if the "silly green Barney wannabe" does attract other young fans, in addition to those as noble and mature as you obviously were AT AGE 5 then how is it a bad thing?

jackbrohamer
02-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah, but Southpaw looks a little paunchy in that picture. Call up BALCO and get him a tube of the clear. That ought to fix it.

Be sure to tell him it's linseed oil, in case anyone asks...or was it flaxseed oil

wulfy
02-10-2005, 11:06 AM
I have no issue with the concept of a mascot, kids do like those things .... but I just don't understand why he's a furry lizard. Although, I guess a gigantic white tube sock walking around the concourse may be a bit dis-concerting.

http://www.neitherland.com/hyperballad/images/gallery/halloween_2002/sock.jpg

jabrch
02-10-2005, 11:07 AM
I have no issue with the concept of a mascot, kids do like those things .... but I just don't understand why he's a furry lizard. Although, I guess a gigantic white tube sock walking around the concourse may be a bit dis-concerting.

http://www.neitherland.com/hyperballad/images/gallery/halloween_2002/sock.jpg

*****....very nice!

rdivaldi
02-10-2005, 11:38 AM

Unfortunately I head the same exact thing at that game. But then again I figured it made sense, the Flub fans booed him and so did all of the WSI'ers...

jabrch
02-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Unfortunately I head the same exact thing at that game. But then again I figured it made sense, the Flub fans booed him and so did all of the WSI'ers...

I was at that game. That Mascott Football was HYSTERICAL. Watching the Viking get clobbered by a bunch of 8 year olds...priceless!

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2005, 11:41 AM

Hangar doesn't speak for WSI. Furthermore most WSIers don't have a problem with the Fundamentals area either.

Those who speak in generalities are generally wrong.
:cool:

Cubsuck_a_lot
02-10-2005, 11:50 AM

but at least the bosox mascot makes sense. it's a 'green monster". it's clever. but what does a large, fuzzy, neon green being have to do with anything White Sox? i dont even think southpaw is left-handed.

Ol' No. 2
02-10-2005, 11:54 AM
I don't have any problem with having a mascot. It's just that Southpaw seems like an unnecessarily pointless one. I'll bet Rob Gallas dreamed him up. I could think of two or three better ideas. I'm going to email Brooks....:D:

HebrewHammer
02-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Mascots are fun, especially ones as goofy looking as Southpaw. Does he make the team better or the game more interesting? No. Can he make a ballpark experience more fun for some kids? Sure.

Hangar18
02-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Hangar doesn't speak for WSI. Furthermore most WSIers don't have a problem with the Fundamentals area either.

Those who speak in generalities are generally wrong.

Uh oh, when people start generalizing, things are bound to be misunderstood.
Hangar hates Fundamentals, therefore Hangar is Anti-Children/Anti-Fun.

Correction. Hangar hates the PLACEMENT of the Fundamentals area, right
on top of the concourse. Hangar loves kids and often takes the time
to play catch with kids etc.

I didnt BOO SouthPaw at the Bears/Packers game, because I wasnt there.
However, I dont mind SouthPaw at all, because as some posters noted,
hes not overbearing and the kids like him. Id much rather have Ribbie
back, his look was instantly Recognizable. I surely hope noone mistook
my Anti PlayPen statements as representative of WSI. :rolleyes:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Uh oh, when people start generalizing, things are bound to be misunderstood.

Thank you for that clarification, Hangar. Perhaps rdivaldi read it, too, and will know and appreciate the same point. That is if he isn't too busy beating back the nonsense on the troll board where he apparently enjoys wasting his time.

steff
02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
I was at that game. That Mascott Football was HYSTERICAL. Watching the Viking get clobbered by a bunch of 8 year olds...priceless!

We were there also and didn't hear any booing. The kids were great as well.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2005, 01:09 PM
but at least the bosox mascot makes sense. it's a 'green monster". it's clever. but what does a large, fuzzy, neon green being have to do with anything White Sox? i dont even think southpaw is left-handed.

HELLLLLLLLLLL-OOOO? Anybody home? He's named Southpaw because the Sox are South Side????
:kukoo:

Southpaw stays off the field and doesn't do anything except meet and greet kids on the concourses and outside the ballpark. This is totally different than the bad vaudevillian shtick of Ribbie and Roobarb.
:R&R
"You wear the bag on your head so we won't have to!"

Southpaw is meant for kids... though judging by some of the juvenile opinions I've read here I have my doubts about this, too.

And finally, the Red Sox mascot is a very poor ripoff of H.R. Puffinstuff. If anyone ought to be embarrassed it is all those old school baseball purists back in the Hub.

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/images_tv/kids/puffie2.gif
"Southpaw sucks, but I'm the greatest!"

jabrch
02-10-2005, 01:12 PM
I can just imagine it now...

"The Three Stooges Meet SouthPaw, Ribbie and Roobarb"...imagine that?

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-10-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't mind a mascot.. but he's scaaaarrryyy. :o:

Not as bad as R & R, but close.

BRDSR
02-10-2005, 01:48 PM
In general, I'm not a big fan of baseball mascots. In fact, I'm not a big fan of pro sports mascots in general. Give me college mascots all day, but theres something a little disengenuous about professional sports mascots. That said, if the kids like Southpaw, I think its a great idea. If the kids like the FUNdamentals area, I think its a great idea. If the kids like the wave...go to Wrigley! (Do they do the wave at Wrigley? I don't even know. Seems like they would.)

On the topic of mascots, does anyone remember that goofy guy who used to get up and dance on top of the dugouts between innings. His name is on the tip of my tounge...Steven! or Stephen. My Lord, he was awful.

DC Sox Fan
02-10-2005, 01:57 PM
what does a large, fuzzy, neon green being have to do with anything White Sox?

He is representative of our triumphant campaign to get the cell's biggest improvement ever: GREEN SEATS!!!!

rdivaldi
02-10-2005, 02:48 PM
That is if he isn't too busy beating back the nonsense on the troll board where he apparently enjoys wasting his time.

Talking with fans of other teams isn't what most would consider "wasting time". Every once in awhile it's interesting to hear what the enemy thinks.

As for generalizing, yeah, it's a bad thing. Why else would my out of town friends think I'm crazy for spending half my summer at "DANGEROUS" US Cellular Field which is located right in the middle of gang controlled territory.

SoxxoS
02-10-2005, 02:54 PM
"DANGEROUS" US Cellular Field which is located right in the middle of gang controlled territory.

I heard Blue and Red are the gang colors around the Cell, wearing those can get you shot.

Maybe that shouldn't be in teal. :D:

Maximo
02-10-2005, 03:41 PM

And.....most importantly......it's one less guy collecting unemployment.

zach074
02-10-2005, 04:04 PM
If he cheers up just 1 sick kid in a hospital then he is worth it.

chaz171
02-10-2005, 06:02 PM
If he cheers up just 1 sick kid in a hospital then he is worth it.

Perhaps he should do this during game time......

SpammySosa
02-10-2005, 06:14 PM
That's great - we are happy for you. Now if the "silly green Barney wannabe" does attract other young fans, in addition to those as noble and mature as you obviously were AT AGE 5 then how is it a bad thing?

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me or even finding my comments offensive.However,my original comment was meant to proclaim how great the game is, not a testimony of nobility and maturity at age 5. While some kids might find Southpaw fun to interact with, I seriously doubt the ones who remain fans into adulthood are going to say,"The game and the experience with my family was great and all but what really sold me on baseball was Southpaw." You are making him out to be the main attraction instead of a minute part of the experience. The way you fervently defend him, you would think you ARE Southpaw.

Hangar18
02-10-2005, 06:20 PM
........... but what does a large, fuzzy, neon green being have to do with anything White Sox? i dont even think southpaw is left-handed.

Reminds me of something funny from SoxFest this year.
I saw that SouthPaw actually had his own autograph line, and there he was
sure enough, behind a table with little kids all waiting to meet him and take
pictures. I waited for him afterwards and joked with him WHY he was
giving Autographs Righthanded when his names SOUTHPAW. People
laughed at that one heh heh heh.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2005, 06:25 PM
I waited for him afterwards and joked with him WHY he was
giving Autographs Righthanded when his names SOUTHPAW. People
laughed at that one heh heh heh.

Are you sure? How do you know he wasn't just using his other left?