PDA

View Full Version : Kurkjian on the AL Central

Spicoli
02-08-2005, 02:52 PM
During his online chat session today, ESPN's Kurkjian answered a Sox fan's question:

Chris D., Madison, Wis.: It kills me to see the White Sox being bashed. Considering what Ken Williams has done -with the pitching staff since midyear last year -- adding Freddy Garcia, Contreras and El Duque -- you'd think he'd get some kind of credit. They'll miss Lee and Ordonez, but you say they'll challenge in the Central?

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Tim Kurkjian: (2:12 PM ET ) Yes, I think the White Sox are a solid contender in that division but I still think the Twins are the team to beat. The White Sox, despite the losses of Lee and Ordonez, have added a bunch of helpful players including 2B, C and 2 outfielders. One of their guys told me the other day that he thought the White Sox would win the division mainly b/c John Garland -- a decent pitcher -- is their FIFTH starter.

mjharrison72
02-08-2005, 03:05 PM
All valid comments... the Twins are the team to beat until proven otherwise. But at least he acknowledged some good maves the Sox have made, as well as what should be a decent pitching lineup... a nice nod to Garland.
-M

Iwritecode
02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
During his online chat session today, ESPN's Kurkjian answered a Sox fan's question:

Normally I don't listen to he (or any other ESPN employee) says but it's hard to argue with his logic. Seems like he at least managed to do his homework before commenting...

spawn
02-08-2005, 03:12 PM
I've always liked Kurkjian. And he's absolutely right. Until they are toppled, the Twins are the team to beat.

Soxzilla
02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
:threadrules:

Kurk. really hit the nail on the head with those comments. It's about time a sports analyst got the white sox right.

JKryl
02-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Absolutely, the Twins are the team to beat, but with the moves KW made in the off season, they have to be considered contenders.

Rush20
02-08-2005, 03:46 PM
I've always liked Kurkjian. And he's absolutely right. Until they are toppled, the Twins are the team to beat.

I agree 100%. Hopefully this spring, no one talks about how much more "talent" we have than Minnesota, etc. That so called "talent" never won the division.

SoxFan76
02-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Holy cow, that guy actually made sense! What a relief to know that not all sports writers are complete idiots. I have NO problem with sports writers not picking the Sox to win the division. If we sat here and complained that Joe Columnist didn't pick the Sox to finish 1st, that's just crazy. But I like what he said. The Twins are the team to beat until somebody beats them. That's how it goes.

Baby Fisk
02-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Holy cow, that guy actually made sense! What a relief to know that not all sports writers are complete idiots. I have NO problem with sports writers not picking the Sox to win the division. If we sat here and complained that Joe Columnist didn't pick the Sox to finish 1st, that's just crazy. But I like what he said. The Twins are the team to beat until somebody beats them. That's how it goes.
I like the idea of going into the season under everyone's radar. There's more of a "shock the world" potential if/when the Sox run wild in the division and beyond. But now that a couple of reporters have keyed into Kenny's offseason moves and see the Sox in a positive light, watch for more wagon chasers to start writing up the Sox in a big way, as if they just discovered them. :rolleyes:

OEO Magglio
02-08-2005, 03:55 PM

I must say I'm impressed that an espn analyst actually did some hw, well everything except his name is Jon Garland but good none the less.

SOXintheBURGH
02-08-2005, 04:09 PM
I never minded Kurkjian too much.. one of the parts of Baseball Tonight I can stomach.

Kurkjian > Boston + Reynolds IMHO...

StillMissOzzie
02-08-2005, 04:33 PM
At least he acknowledged the moves the Sox made, unlike the other moron, Rob Neyer (sp?), who wasn't fully aware of the post-season moves made. (And the craven coward blamed the lack of research on an assistant...)

However, it still remains to be seen if:

More hits + more stolen bases + improved pitching staff - fewer home runs = More victories

SMO
:gulp:

SoxxoS
02-08-2005, 04:38 PM
At least he acknowledged the moves the Sox made, unlike the other moron, Rob Neyer (sp?), who wasn't fully aware of the post-season moves made. (And the craven coward blamed the lack of research on an assistant...)

And I just realized this:

Jermaine Dye was Rob Neyer's "free agent bargain of the year." He is definitely going to get an e-mail now, after I realized that. :o::rolleyes::D:

spawn
02-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Amen to that. Not picking us to win the division is one thing. Saying we don't have a shot is an entirely different matter all together.

NonetheLoaiza
02-08-2005, 04:45 PM
I agree with what Kurk said, and what many people have said already. The White Sox are not a lock to win anything...it's been proven in the past. The Twins are the Central champs right now, and it is up to the White Sox to knock them from their perch. Most of the "analysts" look at the White Sox from one perspective: They lost Maggs and Carlos, and thats the end of it. Like has been brought up so many times on this site, trading Carlos (who has the potential to be a great player in the game) allowed us to make our team stronger by going out and filling the holes. At least Tim didn't pull a Neyer and take a nap instead of actually finding out the White Sox offseason acquisitions.

Hokiesox
02-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Is this the first analyst calling our C position a strength?

hold2dibber
02-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I agree with what Kurk said, and what many people have said already. The White Sox are not a lock to win anything...it's been proven in the past. The Twins are the Central champs right now, and it is up to the White Sox to knock them from their perch. Most of the "analysts" look at the White Sox from one perspective: They lost Maggs and Carlos, and thats the end of it. Like has been brought up so many times on this site, trading Carlos (who has the potential to be a great player in the game) allowed us to make our team stronger by going out and filling the holes. At least Tim didn't pull a Neyer and take a nap instead of actually finding out the White Sox offseason acquisitions.

I missed the Neyer gaffe -- what happened?

Mickster
02-08-2005, 05:35 PM
I missed the Neyer gaffe -- what happened?

First thread HERE (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44793&highlight=neyer)

Second one HERE (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45005&highlight=neyer)

Vestigio
02-08-2005, 06:19 PM
For a 5th starter, Garland is above average

OEO Magglio
02-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Since when is Jon Garland decent?
Are you joking?

nccwsfan
02-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Very fair assessment of the division- to be the best you have to beat the best. I can live with this for now...

Church Turtle
02-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Very fair assessment of the division- to be the best you have to beat the best. I can live with this for now...

yeah, for now. Man, I'm ready for opening day. I don't think I've ever been this ready to see some baseball this early in the year. (Oh, and next year they can write that the SOX are the team to beat until proven otherwise. That'd be ok with me.):D:

batmanZoSo
02-09-2005, 03:54 PM
But now that a couple of reporters have keyed into Kenny's offseason moves and see the Sox in a positive light, watch for more wagon chasers to start writing up the Sox in a big way, as if they just discovered them. :rolleyes:

What do you mean as if?

Kurkjian sure seems to know what he's talking about. It's good to see that. I can't argue with anything he said.

wdelaney72
02-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Not a fan of his, but this was well said.