PDA

View Full Version : Beefs with Blue Jays 2005 Jackets

Hangar18
02-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Pretty disturbing that a team allegedly calling themselves the "Blue" Jays,
has a jacket that is Black & Silver, and the White Sox have no such jacket.
I think MLB (and other pro leagues) are overdoing the use of Black bigtime.
Discuss.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=2MUw5SkKqQk&offerid=61222.13732&type=15&subid=0

doublem23
02-08-2005, 02:22 PM
The White Sox have black jackets.

Mickster
02-08-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't know where this thread belongs, but I'm sure it's not in the clubhouse.

Baby Fisk
02-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Discuss.

Totally agree. The Jays have tossed away their rightful colours (blue is supposed to be dominant) even tho you could argue that real-life blue jays (http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/phil_myers/ADW_birds_3_4_03/bluejay7709.jpg/view.html)also have some black plumage. But still, blue is the dominant colour!

Even more outrageous in my mind is that the Jays also got rid of the maple leaf on their uniforms. That's a real shame as they are now the only Canadian team in MLB.

But why do I get the feeling the only people interested in this conversation are Hangar and myself? :?:

Hangar18
02-08-2005, 03:41 PM
I have a tree outside my office window, and all the MLB Bird Teams
are represented during the Spring and Summer months. The only
BLACK birds I see around here, are crows, and theyre pretty big sized.
The Blue Jay and the Cardinal are also pretty large birds, but one
thing is for sure, the Blue Jay is 100% BLUE, with a little black and
white trim. Its a good looking bird, and its BLUE. Not Black. Idiots.

Rocky Soprano
02-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Is it really that serious?

Wear whatever Sox stuff you can and be happy.

:supernana:

ChiSoxRowand
02-08-2005, 04:02 PM
The Blue Jays new uniforms suck, period. The old ones were better and the best ones were the ones they wore during their world series years.

Baby Fisk
02-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Is it really that serious?

Wear whatever Sox stuff you can and be happy.

Good point. I have just one Blue Jays article of clothing: a crappy "trucker-style" retro cap with the original team logo that they gave away at a game last year. I will never wear it in public.

Meanwhile, I have an arsenal of about 12-14 different Sox hats to choose from on any given day... :cool:

Brian26
02-08-2005, 05:22 PM
The Blue Jays new uniforms suck, period. The old ones were better and the best ones were the ones they wore during their world series years.

Agreed. And there should be a rule that says you can't change your unis for at least 20 years after winning a World Series.

SoxEd
02-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Discuss.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=2MUw5SkKqQk&offerid=61222.13732&type=15&subid=0

Whilst you're right about the Jays' choice of colours not reflecting their uniforms, the Sox actually have two black jackets on sale, from the same (http://www.starstruck.com/whitesox.asphttp://www.starstruck.com/search_results.asp?keyword=XOUTWX+XMLBCWS,COOPCWS) site.

Lots of teams overdo the black thing, e.g. Birmingham City FC's Home strip is blue shirts & white shorts, and our Away kit is all red, but there is a load of black clothing on the BCFC.com 'Shop' website.

It's all down to the power of the Marketing Dept, and the fact that black clothes sell more because they make the wearer look thinner :D:.

Besides, if they didn't all do black, other teams' fans could end up wearing some truly ghastly colours - I mean, the Marlins' turquoise/aquamarine ain't doin anybody any favours, is it?

Who would want to look at that walking towards them on a Floridan sidewalk?

It could adversely affect the State's income from the tourism dollar!

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-08-2005, 05:56 PM
The Blue Jays changing their uniforms was a terrible decision. It's easy to mistake the "Jays" for "Rays" now. What team would want to be mistaken for the DEVIL RAYS? :?:

NSSoxFan
02-08-2005, 06:03 PM
I agree with most of you that the old color scheme the Jays had was much better.

batmanZoSo
02-08-2005, 10:57 PM
I have a tree outside my office window, and all the MLB Bird Teams
are represented during the Spring and Summer months. The only
BLACK birds I see around here, are crows, and theyre pretty big sized.
The Blue Jay and the Cardinal are also pretty large birds, but one
thing is for sure, the Blue Jay is 100% BLUE, with a little black and
white trim. Its a good looking bird, and its BLUE. Not Black. Idiots.

Ha. Trim. Is that the proper ornithological term?

JUribe1989
02-08-2005, 11:14 PM
I agree with most of you that the old color scheme the Jays had was much better.

The 1993 logo can't be beat, but when they wear their black alternate jerseys they look very cool.

WinningUgly!
02-08-2005, 11:59 PM

LMAO! :rolling:
A White Sox fan bitching about the Blue Jays stealing black & silver.:)

FightingBillini
02-09-2005, 02:02 AM
Let me first say that the uniforms and logos the Blue Jays used from 95-03 were horrible. Those were some of the worst jerseys I have seen. I really liked the original Jays logo/unis. They were classy an unique. The color scheme was distinctive. I liked the royal blue with the lighter blue, and of course the red of the maple leaf in the logo. They used the soccer style numbers on the jerseys, which worked with the style. Those by far were the best all time Blue Jays unis.

I do, however, like the new color scheme. The colors are from the actual blue jay bird:
http://a1410.g.akamai.net/f/1410/1633/7d/216.109.89.105/birds/birds_l/BD0026_1l.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:history.back())

The blue jay isnt royal blue, but the color they now use. There is also black in the bird, so it works. However, the uniform designs are horrible, with a ridiculous number font and a very bad logo. The new logo is REALLY bad. Most importantly, the biggest flaw is making black the dominant color. Marketing study anfter marketing study have been done on sports uniforms. They are deciding that people like black, so the Jays went with black. However, people do like uniforms that are bright and distinctive. If the Blue Jays changed the numbers on their home and road jerseys to blue, and made their alternate jersey that shade of blue, it would be very distinctive. No other team has that shade of blue. Right now, the Jays are just like the Marlins, Rockies, Mets, Diamondbacks, Astros, and Royals. All of those teams have ditched former color schemes and shifted towards black. Hell, the Marlins stopped wearing teal hats in 96 and now the remaing teal has been relegated to the 4th level of outline on numbers. Too bland. Silver and black looks good, but certain teams should not use it. The Marlins need more aqua in their jerseys, the Rockies need more purple (which they actually started to do), the Astros need more brick red, the D-Backs should move back to the teal and purple with a little black, and the Mets should eliminate black all together. Instead of trying to make their jeseys "colors that people can wear everyday with jeans", they should try to be distinctive and make their own identity.

dcb33
02-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Let me first say that the uniforms and logos the Blue Jays used from 95-03 were horrible. Those were some of the worst jerseys I have seen. I really liked the original Jays logo/unis. They were classy an unique. The color scheme was distinctive. I liked the royal blue with the lighter blue, and of course the red of the maple leaf in the logo. They used the soccer style numbers on the jerseys, which worked with the style. Those by far were the best all time Blue Jays unis.

I do, however, like the new color scheme. The colors are from the actual blue jay bird:
http://a1410.g.akamai.net/f/1410/1633/7d/216.109.89.105/birds/birds_l/BD0026_1l.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:history.back())

The blue jay isnt royal blue, but the color they now use. There is also black in the bird, so it works. However, the uniform designs are horrible, with a ridiculous number font and a very bad logo. The new logo is REALLY bad. Most importantly, the biggest flaw is making black the dominant color. Marketing study anfter marketing study have been done on sports uniforms. They are deciding that people like black, so the Jays went with black. However, people do like uniforms that are bright and distinctive. If the Blue Jays changed the numbers on their home and road jerseys to blue, and made their alternate jersey that shade of blue, it would be very distinctive. No other team has that shade of blue. Right now, the Jays are just like the Marlins, Rockies, Mets, Diamondbacks, Astros, and Royals. All of those teams have ditched former color schemes and shifted towards black. Hell, the Marlins stopped wearing teal hats in 96 and now the remaing teal has been relegated to the 4th level of outline on numbers. Too bland. Silver and black looks good, but certain teams should not use it. The Marlins need more aqua in their jerseys, the Rockies need more purple (which they actually started to do), the Astros need more brick red, the D-Backs should move back to the teal and purple with a little black, and the Mets should eliminate black all together. Instead of trying to make their jeseys "colors that people can wear everyday with jeans", they should try to be distinctive and make their own identity.
There's no doubt that the Jays previous uniform design is as hideous as the one they use now.

A point I feel has been overlooked in this thread is that the Sox have used black in their uniforms before, during the Go-Go Era. Even though we are the White Sox, the use of the color black is a part of our heritage, which certainly makes it more justifiable for the franchise to use black in uniform/jacket designs than it does for other franchises like the Marlins, Jays, D-Backs, Rockies, etc.

Realist
02-09-2005, 09:04 AM
I just gotta say that that is one pretty picture of a pretty bird.

RichFitztightly
02-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Besides, if they didn't all do black, other teams' fans could end up wearing some truly ghastly colours - I mean, the Marlins' turquoise/aquamarine ain't doin anybody any favours, is it?

Who would want to look at that walking towards them on a Floridan sidewalk?

It could adversely affect the State's income from the tourism dollar!

HAHA! I don't know, have you seen the color of some of the buildings down there?

Brian26
02-09-2005, 01:23 PM
I really liked the original Jays logo/unis. They were classy an unique.

I didn't mind their tweaking of the uniform in the mid 80's. Remember, the first uniform was a softball style pullover with the Jays logo in the center of the jersey (modeled after a traditional hockey uniform). Sometime around '88 or '89, they switch to button-down jerseys and slid the jays logo to one side of the jersey, just beneath the name "Blue Jays". I think this was the same time their road unis switched from powder blue to grey.

Baby Fisk
02-09-2005, 01:26 PM
I didn't mind their tweaking of the uniform in the mid 80's. Remember, the first uniform was a softball style pullover with the Jays logo in the center of the jersey (modeled after a traditional hockey uniform). Sometime around '88 or '89, they switch to button-down jerseys and slid the jays logo to one side of the jersey, just beneath the name "Blue Jays". I think this was the same time their road unis switched from powder blue to grey.
I believe those tweaks were made for 89. They also switched to an all-blue road cap, and wore the one with white on the front crown only at home. Damn, those were fine lookin' unies... *getting wistful*

Brian26
02-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Damn, those were fine lookin' unies... *getting wistful*

Until those unis beat our brains in at the end of '93.

Baby Fisk
02-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Until those unis beat our brains in at the end of '93.

Yeah, but our unies were still better [grasping here].

longshot7
02-09-2005, 02:43 PM
I agree with everyone else. WAY too many teams are overdoing the black thing - mostly I think it's because it's more "cool" on the "street" - they want to sell more merchandise and you don't see rap guys wearing a lot of stuff that isn't black. I remember being in the minority when I protested the Bulls creating their alternate black jersey - which I still hate.

batmanZoSo
02-09-2005, 05:01 PM

http://a1410.g.akamai.net/f/1410/1633/7d/216.109.89.105/birds/birds_l/BD0026_1l.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:history.back%28%29)

You can wear anything with jeans. They're about as basic an versatile as you can get. I certainly wouldn't want my team to drench themselves in black and gray just to match my casual wardrobe. That's pretty stupid.

As for the Marlins which you brought up, I swear they look exactly like us on TV. So do the Rockies at home. From a distance, the hat logos could easily pass for the S-O-X in old english.

I want Mags back
02-10-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't know where this thread belongs, but I'm sure it's not in the clubhouse.

U ARE IN TALKIN BASEBALL

Jjav829
02-10-2005, 04:25 PM
U ARE IN TALKIN BASEBALL

Don't scream. The thread was moved here from the Sox Clubhouse. At the time Mickster posted that, the thread was in the Clubhouse.

FightingBillini
02-10-2005, 04:47 PM
You can wear anything with jeans. They're about as basic an versatile as you can get.

I know, but apparently the marketing research/fashion designing groups that have been designing the recent unis in most sports dont know that. Mark Cuban was talking about the nasty unis the Mavs have been wearing for a few years now, and he said they were going for a color scheme that could be worn with jeans. They didnt want anything too bright or outlandish.

IMO, teams should go for a "brand identity". They should come up with unique logo and color scheme. Like I said, the Marlins should use a lot more aqua, and a LOT less black and silver. The Mets should get rid of all the black in their jerseys. The D-backs should go with less black and a more teal. If a design is unique, and the color scheme goes well, it will sell.

Just look at the Charlotte Hornets of the early- mid ninties. Teal and purple work together. Their stuff sold like hotcakes. I think pretty much every girl and half the guys in school had Hornets Starter jackets. If their colors were, say, red and black, I doubt they would have sold that much anywhere, let alone in Bulls Country. When I was a kid I really liked the Phoenix Suns because they had kick ass unis. The NFL has done a good job of distinguishing the team's color schemes, but their newer jerseys are absolutely god awful. With a few exceptions, baseball's jerseys are generally very nice and classy. Now maybe if baseball would lead a few teams away from using black, and the NFL would realize that it looks horrible having stripes running up the sides of the jerseys, and FOR GOD SAKE, no more dark pants with dark jerseys, then maybe we would have some better looking designs.

Baby Fisk
02-11-2005, 09:46 AM
IMO, teams should go for a "brand identity". They should come up with unique logo and color scheme. Like I said, the Marlins should use a lot more aqua, and a LOT less black and silver. The Mets should get rid of all the black in their jerseys. The D-backs should go with less black and a more teal. If a design is unique, and the color scheme goes well, it will sell.

I like that proposal. A litmus test could be to see if people can identify a team based on the colours or design of their uniforms if all words/logos were removed.