PDA

View Full Version : Troll (cyber)city, USA

DC Sox Fan
02-08-2005, 12:11 PM
I will start off by admitting that I have been cheating on WSI :redface:

I check the nationals mlb.com boards from time to time. This site has gotten HILARIOUS. It appears there's an instant rivalry with the Orioles fans. What I love is now it includes Scrubs fans (after the sosa trade and subsequent trash talking). Sox fans, Mets fans and yankees fans are all joining in the fun. I recommend the site for 1) a good laugh and 2) to appreciate the stellar job our mods do of hunting down and destroying trolls!

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/listsf.asp?webtag=ml-washington&gfc=1&sts=2%2F8%2F2005+1%3A03%3A35+PM

MUsoxfan
02-08-2005, 12:21 PM
No thanks....I wouldn't be able to control myself in the zoo that is mlb.com boards

wdelaney72
02-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Agreed.

I'd like to encourage everyone to immediately start applauding for our moderators. Wow, that site needs some help.

What's next, a big rivalry between the Devil Rays and the Marlins?

mjharrison72
02-08-2005, 12:29 PM
It appears there's an instant rivalry with the Orioles fans.
I have to admit I am wondering if I will ever wear my Orioles hat again now that they have Sosa. Probably only if they're playing the Yankees. The Orioles will clearly have the better team this year, but I can see a healthy rivalry with the new DC team. I started looking at the schedule today to decide which days I'm going to play hooky from work and go to a day game!
-M

Baby Fisk
02-08-2005, 12:31 PM
mlb.com boards = landfill site

An alternate site for Nats followers: Natfanatics.com (http://www.natfanatics.com/index.php)

SOXintheBURGH
02-08-2005, 03:31 PM
A question in regards to troll sites..

What does it mean when someones post simply says:

bump

cubhater
02-08-2005, 03:36 PM
There's no way I could become a full-fledged Nat fan in DC because of the questions regarding their long-term stabililty no stadium deal on the table. Why get so emotionally involved with a new team when they could take off after 2005?

StillMissOzzie
02-08-2005, 03:37 PM

bump

I think that it bring that topic back to the top of the list, which are sorted by most recent post. Here, threads usually crawl off and die after 3-5 days, unless they're about Sosa or Maggs.

SMO
:gulp:

Rocky Soprano
02-08-2005, 03:38 PM

bump

They are just "bumping" the thread to the top.

Tekijawa
02-08-2005, 03:57 PM
What's next, a big rivalry between the Devil Rays and the Marlins?

What sport do they play?

Iwritecode
02-08-2005, 04:22 PM
They are just "bumping" the thread to the top.

We do the same thing here but it's called

:spam

Some people just like to up their post counts... :D:

mweflen
02-08-2005, 04:35 PM

Hey, that's a good idea!:tongue:

SOXintheBURGH
02-08-2005, 05:09 PM

Sure, why not?

HebrewHammer
02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
That site, just wow. I've never seen such a large infestation of trolls.

Who would've thought the Nats and O's would have such a rivalry?

Clembasbal
02-08-2005, 05:55 PM

Seriously? I really never knew what that meant. Sometimes I just avoid crap talking all together (it hurts my pretty little eyes :nuts: )

hsnterprize
02-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Here's some interesting pictures of RFK Stadium being dolled up for the Washington Nationals. These pics come from the site, "ballparkguys.com"

Enjoy the pics...they're looking pretty good to me. (http://www.ballparkguys.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=41;t=003047;p=)

It looks like they're doing a TON of work to get ready for the season.

nccwsfan
02-08-2005, 07:50 PM
There's no way I could become a full-fledged Nat fan in DC because of the questions regarding their long-term stabililty no stadium deal on the table. Why get so emotionally involved with a new team when they could take off after 2005?

There should finally be long term stability with the DC Nats. They did sign off on a stadium deal right before the 1/1/2005 deadline, and it will be on the Anacostia Waterfront in time for the 2008 season.

On another note, has anyone 'in the know' heard when they're putting single game tix on sale? I'd like to try to go to that inaugural game on 4/14....

cubhater
02-08-2005, 08:18 PM
There should finally be long term stability with the DC Nats. They did sign off on a stadium deal right before the 1/1/2005 deadline, and it will be on the Anacostia Waterfront in time for the 2008 season.

On another note, has anyone 'in the know' heard when they're putting single game tix on sale? I'd like to try to go to that inaugural game on 4/14....

I thought some DC pol convinced the city council to vote against public funding for their new ballpark? Thanks for the clarification!

SOXintheBURGH
02-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Here's some interesting pictures of RFK Stadium being dolled up for the Washington Nationals. These pics come from the site, "ballparkguys.com"

Enjoy the pics...they're looking pretty good to me. (http://www.ballparkguys.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=41;t=003047;p=)

Thanks for the pics.

Reminds of me of going to Three Rivers Stadium for baseball games.. and once we got PNC Park, looking at those pics makes me think of how we used to have it. I hope they don't have to play there for very long.

DC Sox Fan
02-09-2005, 10:06 AM
cubhater, they did indeed get the funding passed. They're currently looking into private financing options, including development rights and parking rights.

As far as "emotional attachment", let me re-profess my allegiance to the Sox. They have ALWAYS been, and ALWAYS will be my true team. I am excited about the option to see some NL games, and to not have to drive 3 hours to go 40 miles to see some major league action, fighting traffic the whole way. It will also be fun to shove it up Angelos' ass after all he's done to alienate DC based fans (move up the start time for O's games, take away transportation options, and publicly claim that "There are no baseball fans in DC") and while he still claims us as his "property". Pete Angelos makes Uncle Jerry look like Jesus.

Another great move the Nats made was making the Potomac Cannons their "A" affiliate in the Carolina League. Their park is easy to get to. I LOVED it when they were the sox affiliate about 10 years ago.

With regards to the new stadium, there was a good article in the post on Sunday emphasizing how they don't want the new park to be one of the typical "retro" parks that have been popping up everywhere since Balmur built their new one. I do love the new retro parks, but would also love for us to have somethign original.

NCC- partial game plans go on sale next week, individual games should be shortly after that. I wouldn't hold my breath for a tick to opening day though, as it is rumored STHs will have first dibs on buying additional seats for that game. We're having our lottery next week (I bought in with a group of 15 others for about 5 games each) and I have my fingers crossed that I get the first game...

AZChiSoxFan
02-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Who would've thought the Nats and O's would have such a rivalry?

Well, they do play in the same city.

DC Sox Fan
02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
There are a couple new conceptual designs out there too. These are FAR from concrete or official proposals... But I LOVE this one, and it reminds me a LOT of what should have been "Armour Park" Anyone else notice the similarities???

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/washington803.jpg

Clembasbal
02-09-2005, 11:40 AM

That place must have a ton of dead rats there and cats living within its walls. I mean, it hasn't be used regularly for years. Oh man, I would not want to work at that site.

It still looks like there is a ton of work needed, here's to hoping that they just blow it up in the future and get a new one. And then they can get the All-Star game in 2008 and have three NL teams in a row!

DC Sox Fan
02-09-2005, 12:08 PM
it hasn't be used regularly for years. While RFK has seen better days, it has been home to the MLS Cup Champion DC United for years. Many soccer games (national team, MLS cup all-star/championships) have been played there as well.

I will be sad to see her go. I will never forget watching and feeling the stadium literally shake as Redskins fans chanted "We want Dallas."

Everyone says it wasn't that bad of a place to watch baseball. It was actually the first of the "cookie cutter" stadiums.

delben91
02-09-2005, 12:08 PM

From today's Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9334-2005Feb8.html). (I read it online every day once a DC resident, always a DC resident)

Single-game tickets won't go on sale until mid-March. The club has sold more than 17,000 full season tickets.

delben91
02-09-2005, 12:09 PM
While RFK has seen better days, it has been home to the MLS Cup Champion DC United for years. Many soccer games (national team, MLS cup all-star/championships) have been played there as well.

I will be sad to see her go. I will never forget watching and feeling the stadium literally shake as Redskins fans chanted "We want Dallas."

Everyone says it wasn't that bad of a place to watch baseball. It was actually the first of the "cookie cutter" stadiums.

Ah, beat me to it DC...took the words right out of my mouth.

Baby Fisk
02-09-2005, 12:22 PM
There are a couple new conceptual designs out there too. These are FAR from concrete or official proposals... But I LOVE this one, and it reminds me a LOT of what should have been "Armour Park" Anyone else notice the similarities???

Any more links?

The stadium being wrapped-around by buildings is peculiar... right away I thought of the building you see behind RF at Camden Yard.

mweflen
02-09-2005, 01:26 PM

I love this concept drawing. Think of all the great things you could have in the wraparound buildings - shops, year round restaurants, Nationals hall of fame (or shame, as the case may be) etc.

I wish we could have even one of these building rows (like along Wentworth where it will be visible on the Dan Ryan) at Comiskey. A Sox HOF, OF entrance, gift shop, and restaurant/bar would be awesome connected to the park like that. Plus, it might offer a little nicer backdrop in the OF than currently exists.

DC Sox Fan
02-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I love this concept drawing. Think of all the great things you could have in the wraparound buildings - shops, year round restaurants, Nationals hall of fame (or shame, as the case may be) etc.

I wish we could have even one of these building rows (like along Wentworth where it will be visible on the Dan Ryan) at Comiskey. A Sox HOF, OF entrance, gift shop, and restaurant/bar would be awesome connected to the park like that. Plus, it might offer a little nicer backdrop in the OF than currently exists.

The shame is that the Sox could have easily had something that looks VERY similar to this. Here's what Armour Field was supposed to look like. Note the field in the foreground- it's the footprint of Old Comiskey, preserved as it should have been :(: The outfield faced North to the Loop, providing dramatic views of the Sears and the rest of the skyline.

I'm guessing the "wraparound" buildings would be mixed use- office, retail and parking. Man, I hope this is what they go with here in DC...

http://www.thursdayassociates.net/images/13-AF_Model-1.JPG

Nick@Nite
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM

Bro, thanks for the link! :cool:

My mug will be at RFK, but I'm no Nats fan, thats for damn sure. Not sure if I mentioned this already, but I talked my sister & brother-in-law into going half-sies on season tickets. Our seats are first row, right field line near the fair pole.

It'll be fun as hell parading around D.C. in my Sox hat and WSI t-shirt... spreading the gospel. :redneck

mweflen
02-09-2005, 02:12 PM
The shame is that the Sox could have easily had something that looks VERY similar to this. Here's what Armour Field was supposed to look like. Note the field in the foreground- it's the footprint of Old Comiskey, preserved as it should have been :(: The outfield faced North to the Loop, providing dramatic views of the Sears and the rest of the skyline.

I'm guessing the "wraparound" buildings would be mixed use- office, retail and parking. Man, I hope this is what they go with here in DC...

http://www.thursdayassociates.net/images/13-AF_Model-1.JPG

Well, parking is an issue, and the lots to the west and south of the field would definitely still be needed, so two of the "building walls" would probably not be feasible. Tailgating is a tradition here, too, so we need some open-air parking lots close to the park. (this is also a seeming problem with the Washington concept drawing - where will people park?)

But currently there's a whole lotta nothing on the Wentworth side of the Cell. Why not jazz it up to increase the 'destination factor' of the park?

DC Sox Fan
02-09-2005, 02:43 PM
I guess tailgating isn't too much of an issue here. Big for the 'Skins. for NBA/NHL there are a ton of bars around the MCI Center we hit up. That part of town used to be run down as well- I'm guessing that a similar revitalization is planned, so we should see plenty of bars around the field. The area where the new park will be built is pretty damn run down right now. Those wraparound buildings will contain SOME parking spots, but there will also be a metro (subway) stop a couple blocks away at the Navy Yard. There is also talk of running "shuttle boats" up and down the Potomac/Anacostia from Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria (VA) since the stadium is a block off the river. Now THAT sounds like fun...

mjharrison72
02-09-2005, 03:53 PM

Check out all the great boat parking!

hsnterprize
02-09-2005, 05:23 PM
With regards to the new stadium, there was a good article in the post on Sunday emphasizing how they don't want the new park to be one of the typical "retro" parks that have been popping up everywhere since Balmur built their new one. I do love the new retro parks, but would also love for us to have somethign original.

You know something...when I read this paragraph, I got to thinking. When this "retro" ballpark trend eventually dies, with as much flack as the Sox took for NOT starting the trend when they had the chance, I think people will actually start publicly saying great things about U.S. Cellular Field...particularly about how "unique" it is compared to all the other "cookie-cutter retro" ballparks that went up since New Comiskey's opening.

All the Cell's renovations and such considered...I think people are going to start praising that place en masse pretty soon.

nccwsfan
02-09-2005, 07:22 PM
NCC- partial game plans go on sale next week, individual games should be shortly after that. I wouldn't hold my breath for a tick to opening day though, as it is rumored STHs will have first dibs on buying additional seats for that game. We're having our lottery next week (I bought in with a group of 15 others for about 5 games each) and I have my fingers crossed that I get the first game...

Thanks- I've read more or less the same thing, but I read that the STH would get an option for an extra ticket (Wash. Post?). I'll try my best one way or another....I agree, Angelos has jobbed the DC/Virginia area, and it will be much more convenient for me to save the 2 hour drive from Potomac Mills to Camden- ridiculous! I'll always make that trip to Camden for the White Sox series :bandance: