PDA

View Full Version : Who is the dumber team?

gosox41
02-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Now that Magglio signed that big contract with the Tigers, I'm trying to figure out who has the worse run organization: Detroit or the NY ets.. In both cases ownership was caling the shots forcing the GM's to go out and make big acqquisitions. In the case of the Mets it was to geneate a lot of interest and sell air time on the new Mets TV network. In case of the Tigers it was an issue of a bored owner who had too much money sitting around from not having his Red Wings who decided to make the Tigers a rumored player in every big name Free Agent.

It should be noted that while the Met's GM (Minaya) seemed to be in favor of his moves, according to Phil Rogers, Dombrowksi is "less then thrilled" with the Magglio signing.

So to review their major off season moves:

Detroit
-Signed a washed up Troy Percival to a 2 year $12 ill contract.
-Signed Magglio to a 5 yaer $75 mill contract. While only 1 year is guaranteed if Magglio is healthy, the Tigers didn't see Magglio performa any baseball related activity and th deal could be worth $105 mill if certain clauses are met.

NY Mets-
-Signed Beltran, the best FA on the market.
-Signed Kris Benson for a 3 year/$22 mill contract. This seemed to set a new scale of salary for medicority.
-Signed Pedro Martinez to 4 year/$52 mill contract. Keeping in mind that Pedro is a 6 inning pitcher at best and had close to a 5.00ERA if he makes starts every fifth day like a number 1 starter should. His numbers improve dramatically if given more time off between starts.

Bob

Clembasbal
02-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Although I would like to say the Tigers because they are idiots in signing Magglio, I just can't get over how sad the Mets are and have been for a number of years. For heaven's sake they won in 1986 but nobody remembers that in NY and elsewhere. They are just a sad franchise.

samram
02-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Very difficult decision, but I had to go with the Mets because they're the defending champs in this category, and made two really bad deals this offseason (Pedro and Benson). There's no doubt the Ordonez deal is bad for Detroit because even if he's perfectly healthy, he won't put up $15 million numbers.

However, the Orodonez deal really only affects Detroit, and I don't think anyone but a bored owner with money to burn would have given him this deal. The Mets' deal with Benson inflated the pitching market this offseason, driving up prices for guys like Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright, who have each had one good season. Even Kevin Millwood got a $7 million reward for his prior two seasons of mediocrity. Furthermore, the Mets' rotation is almost exclusively five inning pitchers and their bullpen is bad- maybe they should have thought about that. Decision to the Mets, although the Tigers are certainly gaining ground and I fully expect them to have legal issues at some point early this season when Maggs needs to take 10 days off and he complains about possibly going on the DL.

Ol' No. 2
02-08-2005, 10:19 AM
The Mets have the resources to recover from stupid moves. The Tigers don't. Dumbrowski wins.

wdelaney72
02-08-2005, 10:38 AM
The Answer is "C" - Baltimore.

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 10:55 AM
The Answer is "C" - Baltimore.

1) Sosa at a total cost of about $9mil including the buyout is a decent deal, especially since he'll likely better 35HR in Camden

2) Sosa the name will almost certainly sell enough tickets as he makes a run at 600HR to more than cover his salary

The correct answer is, as ON2 points out, that while one team (the Mets) may spend more money foolishly, they have a lot more to spend. It's the difference between Bill Gates buying a $10,000 pair of socks and me buying a $1,000 pair of socks. Mine is a much worse decision.

Plus the Mets also can say that they generated a lot of buzz to fuel up their cable channel. If/when the NHL strike ends, by 2006, no one in Detroit will care about the Tigers except to participate in the towns new favorite debate "will Maggs ever play again?".

ChiSoxRowand
02-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Now that Magglio signed that big contract with the Tigers, I'm trying to figure out who has the worse run organization: Detroit or the NY ets.. In both cases ownership was caling the shots forcing the GM's to go out and make big acqquisitions. In the case of the Mets it was to geneate a lot of interest and sell air time on the new Mets TV network. In case of the Tigers it was an issue of a bored owner who had too much money sitting around from not having his Red Wings who decided to make the Tigers a rumored player in every big name Free Agent.

It should be noted that while the Met's GM (Minaya) seemed to be in favor of his moves, according to Phil Rogers, Dombrowksi is "less then thrilled" with the Magglio signing.

So to review their major off season moves:

Detroit
-Signed a washed up Troy Percival to a 2 year $12 ill contract.
-Signed Magglio to a 5 yaer $75 mill contract. While only 1 year is guaranteed if Magglio is healthy, the Tigers didn't see Magglio performa any baseball related activity and th deal could be worth $105 mill if certain clauses are met.

NY Mets-
-Signed Beltran, the best FA on the market.
-Signed Kris Benson for a 3 year/$22 mill contract. This seemed to set a new scale of salary for medicority.
-Signed Pedro Martinez to 4 year/$52 mill contract. Keeping in mind that Pedro is a 6 inning pitcher at best and had close to a 5.00ERA if he makes starts every fifth day like a number 1 starter should. His numbers improve dramatically if given more time off between starts.

Bob

Pedro had a 3.90 ERA last year.

MUsoxfan
02-08-2005, 12:04 PM
I've gotta go with the Mets. The Tigers have become a bottom-feeder that needs to take chances to get to the top. The Mets aren't a team that's all bad and went all-out in overpaying (Benson, Martinez, Beltran-sort of, and Mientkiewicz)

jackbrohamer
02-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Both teams foolishly signed Boras clients at inflated prices, though in Beltran's case Boras seems to have had more teams competing to sign him. Detroit at least didn't guarantee as much as the Mets did, I expect the mets to try to dump the contract in a few years, like the teams that signed inflated contracts for ARod, Manny Ramirez and Mike Hampton before the 2001 season.

gosox41
02-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Pedro had a 3.90 ERA last year.

But if he started an every fifth day his ERA was closer to 5. He had some starts where he had 5-7 days off between them and his ERA was under 3 in those.

It basically comes down to paying $13 million for a 6 inning pitcher who if you expect him to pitch like a true #1 then he's going to wear down or giving him extra rest and screwing with the rest of the rotation so he can make 20-25 starts during the course of the season.

Bob

mjharrison72
02-08-2005, 12:35 PM
The Mets are clearly dumber because they signed two super-duperstars to bloated contracts this offseason; one is a career .284 hitter who, in my opinion, has still not totally proven himself, and the other is an aging pitcher on the decline.

The Tigers, on the other hand, were smart... they get a great player if Ordonez ends up healthy, and they have outs built into the contract if he's not healthy. They covered their behinds, and that was the key to the Ordonez situation for whatever team signed him. They could still end up getting screwed, but I think it was a good deal for a team that, let's face it, has a fairly lackluster OF.

MRKARNO
02-08-2005, 01:23 PM
I like the Pedro and Beltran signings personally, especially the Pedro one (I think his 2004 was a fluke). The Maggs contract might be one of the worst in MLB history though. Percival is only a decent reliever who is getting a lot more dough because of sheer volume of saves.

OurBitchinMinny
02-08-2005, 03:01 PM
How do you figure detroit is dumb? If maggs gets hurt or isnt recovered they can void his contract. Its a slight gamble due to the signing bonus, but if he is healthy, the tigers have the best offensive player in the AL central.

gosox41
02-08-2005, 03:04 PM
How do you figure detroit is dumb? If maggs gets hurt or isnt recovered they can void his contract. Its a slight gamble due to the signing bonus, but if he is healthy, the tigers have the best offensive player in the AL central.

:hurt

Ahem...Aren't you forgetting someone?

Bob

Jabroni
02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
How do you figure detroit is dumb? If maggs gets hurt or isnt recovered they can void his contract. Its a slight gamble due to the signing bonus, but if he is healthy, the tigers have the best offensive player in the AL central.Because if he gets through his first season the other 4 years are guaranteed. Magg$ will be determined to keep playing, even if he is injured. How much duct tape is Magg$ going to be wrapping around that knee of his?

OurBitchinMinny
02-08-2005, 03:32 PM

Ahem...Aren't you forgetting someone?

Bob

Nope, last I checked it was 2005, not 1993. And in my book to be the best player in the division you have to play the field to, and actually play on top of that. Maggs was the sox best player for the last 4 years. So no, im not forgetting something. And from what I hear maggs is ready to go opening day, thomas is still hurt till june.

OurBitchinMinny
02-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Because if he gets through his first season the other 4 years are guaranteed. Magg$ will be determined to keep playing, even if he is injured. How much duct tape is Magg$ going to be wrapping around that knee of his?

He will be fine. Im sure they examined him. And if maggs is good to go its a great signing. You know he is not the first player ever to have a knee injury.

34 Inch Stick
02-08-2005, 03:43 PM
He came back quickly from the original knee injury in 04 because he was in a contract year. I imagine he will not complain about an injury until about 3 days after the season is over.

This is really going to be a pathetic ending to a great career. He will never hit 30 home runs again, he will never play for a winning team again and if he thought he didn't get recognition here, wait until he sees the Tigers play second fiddle to the striking Red Wings.

SoxFan76
02-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Nope, last I checked it was 2005, not 1993. And in my book to be the best player in the division you have to play the field to, and actually play on top of that. Maggs was the sox best player for the last 4 years. So no, im not forgetting something. And from what I hear maggs is ready to go opening day, thomas is still hurt till june.

Dude, you said best offensive player. Are you just another one of those Frank haters? If you are, I feel sorry for you.

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 03:59 PM
He will be fine. Im sure they examined him. And if maggs is good to go its a great signing. You know he is not the first player ever to have a knee injury.

You do realize that the reports are that they didn't actually get to work him out, just give him a physical, right?

And that that simple "knee injury" required an experimental treatment not approved in the US and that despite his earlier statements, Maggs has admitted that he only now is ready to begin baseball-related activity (and not even all of that depending on which report you believe).

But I'm sure you're right. Maggs is healthy, but he didn't want to prove it to any other teams because he just always had a hankering to move to Detroit, even back when he was a lad in Venezuela. He was willing to take a non-guaranteed, lower money deal just to achieve that dream.

MRKARNO
02-08-2005, 04:32 PM

Thomas:

A. Is a hall of famer, unlike Magglio
B. Had a better year than Magglio last year (even playing-time adjusted)
C. Had a better year than Magglio in 2003
D. Has much higher potential than Magglio (look what he was on pace for last year. Those numbers would have won him MVP)
E. Is one of the top 5 most patient hitters in baseball
F. Is being paid about 2/3 of what Maggs is getting
G. Isnt signed to a 105 million dollar contract
H. Has actually won the MVP award twice and should have won the third time, while Magglio never even deserved it
I. Can singlehandedly carry a team offensively, unlike Magglio

"Damn straight"

JKryl
02-08-2005, 04:49 PM
This was a tough one. Vote for a team that spends the better part of $100 million on a player who has never hit well in the home park, and has a questionable knee, or a team that thinks it can contend head to head with the Yankees. I had to go with Detroit just because Mags pi**ed me off.

Hangar18
02-08-2005, 05:11 PM
The NY METS are hands down the DUMBEST team in baseball,
the Pirates are 2nd in this category. From Overpaying for FreeAgents,
to Signing anyone that happens to be a FA, to being in love with AL players,
to changing their uniforms to that horrid Black Blue and Orange, this
organization is BOGUS.

The Tigers arent bad, they have an out Clause with Magglio if hes hurt
still this year. How can that be bad? If Maggs puts up Consistent
Numbers thru his contract, people will start saying Hall Of Fame ......

StillMissOzzie
02-08-2005, 05:15 PM
The Mets' errors keeps coming back to overspending. They overspent to get Beltran, they overspent (and, drove up the market price) to keep Benson, and they overspent (and over-guaranteed an extra year) to get Pedro. The fact that they can afford to overspend doesn't entirely get them off the hook, because of what they've done to the price of ALL MLB pitching.

Detroit, on the other hand, made the more serious error, by overbidding against themselves, over-guaranteeing (by making only 2005 a voidable event year), overspending, AND hamstringing the team for years to come, a la A-Rod's deal with Texas, by not leaving any money in the piggybank for pitching help.

Enjoy battling for 3rd or 4th place for the forseeable future, Maggs.

SMO
:gulp:

zach074
02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
The Tigers are dumber, then have less money to spend and they spent it on someone who may not even play alot of games.

Ol' No. 2
02-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Wow. This poll is dead even. When's the last time you saw that?

Maybe it should have been titled "Dumb and Dumber".

maurice
02-08-2005, 05:31 PM
The Tigers arent bad, they have an out Clause with Magglio if hes hurt still this year. How can that be bad?

Easy. If he gimps his way through virtually all of the 2005 season batting .260 with 15 HR and then never plays again, it appears that the Tigers are on the hook for the full $75MM.

Meanwhile, even if he fully recovers, it's extremely unlikely that he'll be earning his keep at an advanced age in year 5 of the deal (not to mention the potentially triggered option years). Meanwhile, some huge percentage of the payroll for a low-attendance team will be tied up in an aging DH who'll struggle to hit 30 HR in Comerica under the best case scenario, ensuring an absolute maximum of three potentially competitive teams in the AL Central for years to come.
:bandance:

OurBitchinMinny
02-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Dude, you said best offensive player. Are you just another one of those Frank haters? If you are, I feel sorry for you.

Im not a frank hater. Frank thomas is probably the best player to ever put on a white sox uniform and should be a first ballot HOF'er. However since 2001 maggs was this teams most consistent player. I just cant believe how much venom is being spewed at magglio because he took a bigger deal. This is America. Maggs didnt grow up a sox fan like the rest of us. he is doing what is best for his family. JR said they offered him 60 mill and he turned it down. He got 75 mill.

Frank is on the downside of his career. He cant even stay healthy as a DH. As good as he is and was he doesnt do a damn bit of good on the DL for months at a time.

Frank GP avg HR obp ops
2001 Throw out, only played 20 games. .221 BA in those 21 games
2002 148 .252 28 .361 .834
2003 153 .267 42 .390 .952
2004 74 .271 18 .434 .997

Maggs GP avg HR obp ops
2001 160 .305 31 .382 .914
2002 153 .320 38 .381 .978
2003 160 .317 29 .380 .926
2004 52 .292 9 .351 .836

Throw away the 2004 season too since neither played in half the teams games. Plus maggs played the field. Also franks obp is not a valuable to the team because he is not as much of a threat on the bases. To score from first he needs a HR or a triple. To score from second, a double, or very long single.

Listen Im not trying to say maggs is the greatest sox player ever or has had a better career. He is not a HOFer yet like thomas. But maggs has been this teams best player for the last few years. Thomas was off to a good start last year, but he was only hitting .271. Thomas needs to stay healthy. Maybe he will rebound this year. You all act like maggs sucked and was to our team what sosa was to the cubs. Thats just not true. Maggs played his ass off here. He tried to come back last year, yes in part because it was a contract year, but he also wanted to help the team. I dont begrudge him for making a business decision. He didn grow up watching the white sox so I dont expect him to show loyalty when he can get more money. I understand the sox going in another direction. Its not like dye is that pansy borchard out there. But to act like we are better off because we dont have maggs is just stupid. The same people are saying that scotty p is a better player than lee. Its just asinine. I wish maggs the best except when he plays the sox. He will help the tigers immensly if healthy. To wish him to stay injured or get hurt like some of you have done is just wrong. He did his best for this team. Hes moved on. Lets move on. Im sure he will get booed, but whatever. I wont be doing it. Im in the minority I know, but I appreciate his contributions to the white sox. Just like I do Clee, who I hope wont get booed. I hope they both have good seasons. just like I hope dye and posednik do

Jabroni
02-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Im not a frank hater. Frank thomas is probably the best player to ever put on a white sox uniform and should be a first ballot HOF'er. However since 2001 maggs was this teams most consistent player. I just cant believe how much venom is being spewed at magglio because he took a bigger deal. This is America. Maggs didnt grow up a sox fan like the rest of us. he is doing what is best for his family. JR said they offered him 60 mill and he turned it down. He got 75 mill.Best for his family? Good Good, please don't play that angle. :rolleyes: Anyone earning over $1 million doesn't have to worry about "what is best for his family." Not to mention $60+ million.
Also franks obp is not a valuable to the team because he is not as much of a threat on the bases. To score from first he needs a HR or a triple. To score from second, a double, or very long single.Frank's OBP is not valuable to the team? :?: Ever heard of a pinch runner?

nccwsfan
02-08-2005, 08:46 PM

And how long will Magglio remain healthy? Some may think he'll be fine- I say that he's destined to be a career DH that plays 100 games per year at best. When it's all said and done I'll take Frank Thomas in a heartbeat thank you.

Magglio's professional baseball career has jumped the shark.

The Wimperoo
02-08-2005, 10:03 PM
The best thing that could happen to the Tigers is that Mags is hurt this year, and they void his contract. That has to be one of the worst contracts ever. Paying 18 million dollars for a 35 year old player is ridiculous. That is a franchise crippling contract. Mags is barely worth that money fully healthy.

OurBitchinMinny
02-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Best for his family? Good Good, please don't play that angle. :rolleyes: Anyone earning over $1 million doesn't have to worry about "what is best for his family." Not to mention $60+ million.
Frank's OBP is not valuable to the team? :?: Ever heard of a pinch runner?

I didnt say it wasnt valuable to the team. Obviously a walk is better than a strike out? What are you gonna PR for him in the first inning. And obviously his family is doing ok, but its his right to go where the most money is. Obviously he felt disrespected by the white sox, which is not surprising just ask fisk and thomas about the white sox respect. Thats why I really respect frank for still being here even with all the bull**** he has put up from fans and the ownership

SoxSpeed22
02-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Although you can make an excellent case for either team, I still gotta go with the Diamondbacks. The Tigers can no longer rebuild via free-agency because of the Ordonez contract, so they gotta do somethin else to come even close to Us, Minny or Cleveland. The Mets overpayed everyone they signed and try to win Yankee style, but fail miserably.
The Diamondbacks is a completely different story. After riding Schilling and Johnson to a world title. They not only sank into the toilet last year, but tried to rebuild by giving giant contracts to guys like Troy Glaus and Russ Ortiz. You don't know what you'll get from Glaus because he has had many shoulder problems and Ortiz did not take enough of Leo Mazzone's Cy Young Powder. His WHIP is way too high for an ace. And he gets a lot worse in the second half.
Whats even worse with these contracts is they are long and GUARANTEED. I also read in SI that they are over $170 Million in debt. I'm sure none of us here has ever seen that kind of money before or even close to it.

OurBitchinMinny
02-08-2005, 11:30 PM
And how long will Magglio remain healthy? Some may think he'll be fine- I say that he's destined to be a career DH that plays 100 games per year at best. When it's all said and done I'll take Frank Thomas in a heartbeat thank you.

Magglio's professional baseball career has jumped the shark.

A healthy Frank thomas at age 30 vs an injured maggs at age 30, no question you take frank. Im talking now. And the whole thing is moot anyway. Its not like it came down to frank or maggs. Im not trying to compare there careers. No question who has had the better career even with his inconsistency as of late, its frank thomas. My issue is that people all of a sudden act like maggs did nothing for this team. Maggs was a fan favorite and a very clutch player. People are talking like he is some journeyman scrub. The fact is if he is healthy, he will be an absolute pain in our ass for the next 5-7 years. Im not trying to say maggs is the better white sox player. Frank is the best, at least in the modern era. But Im realizing (and im a kid who had frank thomas posters all over my room) that frank is coming to the end of his career. I hope he can get healthy and put in a few more good years to restore his good name to baseball. To me its a joke, but many people question whether he is a HOFer. One or two more good seasons and 500HR should lay to rest any doubt. I do not hate frank thomas. I just think maggs as his sidekick early in his career and best player in the past few years is getting a raw deal. He did a hell of a lot for this team. He left for greener pastures. Sure I wish he handled the past few days differently, but I also know that the white sox have a track record of lying to the public and treating players like crap. Its just my opinion. Frank thomas is the best white sox player of all time. But there arent too many guys who put together a strectch like magglio ordonez either. And carlos lee was no slouch either.

OurBitchinMinny
02-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Although you can make an excellent case for either team, I still gotta go with the Diamondbacks. The Tigers can no longer rebuild via free-agency because of the Ordonez contract, so they gotta do somethin else to come even close to Us, Minny or Cleveland. The Mets overpayed everyone they signed and try to win Yankee style, but fail miserably.
The Diamondbacks is a completely different story. After riding Schilling and Johnson to a world title. They not only sank into the toilet last year, but tried to rebuild by giving giant contracts to guys like Troy Glaus and Russ Ortiz. You don't know what you'll get from Glaus because he has had many shoulder problems and Ortiz did not take enough of Leo Mazzone's Cy Young Powder. His WHIP is way too high for an ace. And he gets a lot worse in the second half.
Whats even worse with these contracts is they are long and GUARANTEED. I also read in SI that they are over $170 Million in debt. I'm sure none of us here has ever seen that kind of money before or even close to it.

Look at what illitch spends on the red wings (when they are playing of course). He has decided he wants to win. Detroit is a major market. I dont think they will be hampered by this. Detroit is a good baseball town. Like the south side, win and they will come out. They are likely a year or two away, but they are heading in the right direction

Mohoney
02-09-2005, 05:19 AM
The Maggs contract might be one of the worst in MLB history though.

Second only to Benson's contract, which is proof-positive that baseball either needs to change, or it will die.

Yes, the Magglio signing is going to bog Detroit down, but as was stated earlier in the thread by samram, Detroit is the only team affected. Magglio was pretty much the last "big name" still without a home, and his signing won't affect market values until next offseason at the earliest, if at all. Benson's signing gave every pitcher out there with a resume better than an under .500 record and a mid-4s ERA a starting point of $7.5 million dollars. Jaret Wright, Matt Clement, Carl Pavano, Russ Ortiz, etc. all probably got millions of dollars more than what the market would have otherwise dictated had Omar Minaya not been so dumb.

Put it this way: if I'm willing to pay $5 dollars for a cracker covered in dog poo, and I'm so motivated to lock up my dog poo cracker that I do this before other crackers with better condiments go on the market, it will force you and everyone else buying crackers later to pay significantly more than $5 dollars for a cracker covered in, say, peanut butter, because peanut butter and his agent can now say "I'm better than dog poo, and therefore I should be worth more."

If, however, I have missed out on all the other crackers, there's only one decent cracker left but it's got a crack in it and it might crumble at any minute, the cracker has enlisted Satan as his negotiator, and I either have to overpay for it or go hungry for 6 months, I really have no choice but to overpay for it and hope for the best. Since there are no more crackers left, though, my foolish actions won't affect anybody else.

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Second only to Benson's contract, which is proof-positive that baseball either needs to change, or it will die.

Yes, the Magglio signing is going to bog Detroit down, but as was stated earlier in the thread by samram, Detroit is the only team affected. Magglio was pretty much the last "big name" still without a home, and his signing won't affect market values until next offseason at the earliest, if at all. Benson's signing gave every pitcher out there with a resume better than an under .500 record and a mid-4s ERA a starting point of $7.5 million dollars. Jaret Wright, Matt Clement, Carl Pavano, Russ Ortiz, etc. all probably got millions of dollars more than what the market would have otherwise dictated had Omar Minaya not been so dumb.

Put it this way: if I'm willing to pay $5 dollars for a cracker covered in dog poo, and I'm so motivated to lock up my dog poo cracker that I do this before other crackers with better condiments go on the market, it will force you and everyone else buying crackers later to pay significantly more than $5 dollars for a cracker covered in, say, peanut butter, because peanut butter and his agent can now say "I'm better than dog poo, and therefore I should be worth more."

If, however, I have missed out on all the other crackers, there's only one decent cracker left but it's got a crack in it and it might crumble at any minute, the cracker has enlisted Satan as his negotiator, and I either have to overpay for it or go hungry for 6 months, I really have no choice but to overpay for it and hope for the best. Since there are no more crackers left, though, my foolish actions won't affect anybody else.I don't understand this logic. How are you "forced" to overpay? Just say no.

By definition, overpaying means you don't get equivalent value in return, which is another way of saying you could get more value by spending the same money on one or more other players. A smart owner will spend the money where it will do the most good. A dumb one will allow the agent to manipulate him into overpaying. You can't protect people from their own stupidity.