PDA

View Full Version : Who preceded DJ in Sox booth?

white sox bill
02-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm brain cramped this AM..was is Wimpy or did he leave in '98 and it was another announcer in '99? IIRC, DJ came aboard in 2000 correct?

samram
02-08-2005, 08:51 AM
No, DJ took over the season after Wimpy left.

white sox bill
02-08-2005, 08:55 AM

So DJ started in 2000 then right?

AZChiSoxFan
02-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Why did Wimpy leave?

MIgrenade
02-08-2005, 12:18 PM
I think he left because he felt the Sox were pushing him out. He didn't retire, he went to another team in some capacity. All I really remember is that he started talking about how he was abused as a child and I never figured out why.

white sox bill
02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
IIRC he went to Detroit. He was supposly molested as a alter boy.:whiner:

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 12:53 PM
I think he left because he felt the Sox were pushing him out. He didn't retire, he went to another team in some capacity. All I really remember is that he started talking about how he was abused as a child and I never figured out why.

I believe he started a foundation to help such kids, or at least he worked with one. He came public to help make others feel better about doing so as well.

And I believe there were some rumors about worsening relations between him & Hawk.

popilius
02-08-2005, 01:26 PM
I remember reading in the papers that the reason for firing Wimpy was that he was "not adequately prepared for broadcasts." Otherwise, he was not doing his research on players before the games, etc.

I don't know if this is actually true, but that's what was said.

:gulp:

TDog
02-08-2005, 04:06 PM
I remember reading in the papers that the reason for firing Wimpy was that he was "not adequately prepared for broadcasts." Otherwise, he was not doing his research on players before the games, etc.

Officially the Sox didn't fire Wimpy. He announced he was leaving to spend more time with his family, although he got jobs working some games in Detroit and Atlanta, and later Seattle. Wimpy was pushed out by Harrelson who didn't like sharing the stage. Wimpy was more prepared for the broadcasts than Harrelson, and he was more fun to listen to.

The best part of the Hawk and Wimpy telecasts was when Harrelson was off on a break. I'd rather sit with Wimpy in front of a televised game with that sound turned off than listen to Harrelson.

Maximo
02-08-2005, 06:10 PM

Gee......I wonder who made that observation?

JKryl
02-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Officially the Sox didn't fire Wimpy. He announced he was leaving to spend more time with his family, although he got jobs working some games in Detroit and Atlanta, and later Seattle. Wimpy was pushed out by Harrelson who didn't like sharing the stage. Wimpy was more prepared for the broadcasts than Harrelson, and he was more fun to listen to.

The best part of the Hawk and Wimpy telecasts was when Harrelson was off on a break. I'd rather sit with Wimpy in front of a televised game with that sound turned off than listen to Harrelson.

You nailed it on the head. I have heard from several sources that Wimpy was forced out by Hawk. He (Wimpy) said as much in newspaper interviews some time after he left. Sorry I can't reference specific columns.

NardiWasHere
02-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I used to love listening to Wimpy and his borderline horrible impersonations of John Wayne and other celebrities...

I'm only 18, so unfortunately I never heard the Jimmy&Harry booth... i bet that would have been awesome....

rmusacch
02-09-2005, 05:05 PM
IIRC he went to Detroit. He was supposly molested as a alter boy.:whiner:

Why does that deserve the whiner icon? Molestation by priests is a serious problem in the Catholic church.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-09-2005, 06:12 PM
I used to love listening to Wimpy and his borderline horrible impersonations of John Wayne and other celebrities...

His John Wayne was funny. I remember during the '93 season, the Sox were on WGN and Paciorek had to read a spot for a John Wayne movie showing on the station, he did it in his John Wayne voice and Hawk took to calling him "The Duke" for a while.

They had good chemistry in the booth, I can't believe that they didn't get along. Although Paciorek hated being referred to as "Wimpy".

white sox bill
02-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Why does that deserve the whiner icon? Molestation by priests is a serious problem in the Catholic church.

Meant to choose sad icon. My fault!:(: