PDA

View Full Version : the new street and smith

jake27
02-08-2005, 12:01 AM
i just went out and bought the new street and smith baseball preview. the white sox are predicted 4th in the central! this doesn thave a.j. or iguchi in it but still, 4th??? other than that a great baseball preview magazine still. worth getting.

they also have a thing about white sox uniforms through the year in an article about uniforms, kinda cool.

BridgePortNative
02-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Are you doubting these fantastic and very accurate sports writers?????

SOXFAN82
02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
They at least said that Shingo was going to have another good year. Thats only plus.:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 10:30 AM
i just went out and bought the new street and smith baseball preview. the white sox are predicted 4th in the central! this doesn thave a.j. or iguchi in it but still, 4th??? other than that a great baseball preview magazine still. worth getting.

they also have a thing about white sox uniforms through the year in an article about uniforms, kinda cool.Did they cite Rob Neyer as a source?:rolleyes:

Thunderstruck30
02-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Dont worry. In 01 they picked the Diamondbacks to finish 4th, in 02 they picked the Angels to finish 4th, and in 03 they picked the Marlins to finish 4th. All 3 teams won the Series that year.

batmanZoSo
02-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Dont worry. In 01 they picked the Diamondbacks to finish 4th, in 02 they picked the Angels to finish 4th, and in 03 they picked the Marlins to finish 4th. All 3 teams won the Series that year.

My god that's spooky. I'm a believer! This is our year baby, sinch it up and hunker down. :cool:

Seriously, this is testament to how truly absurd it is to predict sports. These mags even go so far as to predict individual player stats...and not general ones, either, like .280 25 85, they try to give exact stats like .287 26 93. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

chisoxmike
02-13-2005, 11:16 PM
All these magazines can't give a fair projection of the season becuase they have to be out by now, meaning that they can't write the stories after a certain time where some major free agents and trades still haven't happend.

Case in point-

I picked up the Athlon Sports 2005 MLB Preview, here are some noteworthy things:

-Sox are picked 4th in AL Central behind the Twins, Indians, and Tigers.
In their AL Central preview the signing of Maggs to the Tigers was not noted in the Tigers preview becuase it didn't happen when the magazine went to print.

The Sox lineup had Willie Harris batting 9th and playing 2B, Iguchi was not on the roster.

-Sosa is still a member of the Cubs
- Carlos Delgado is not a Marlin

So really, for what they're worth (nothing) baseball predictions shouldn't be made until a week before the season starts, after the rosters are pretty much set, and you see how the team does in Spring Training games.

For your enlightenment, here's how they stacked up the divisions:

AL Central: Twins, Indians, Tigers, Sox, Royals
AL West: Angles, Rangers, A's, Mariners
AL East: Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Devil Rays, Blue Jays
NL Central: Cardinals, Cubs, Astros, Reds, Pirates, Brewers
NL West: Giants, Padres, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Rockies
NL East: Phillies, Marlins, Mets, Braves, Nationals

They also predict a Yankees/Giants World Series with the Yankees winning. :rolleyes: