PDA

View Full Version : KW Speaks

NSSoxFan
02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
KW responds to the childish remarks of Queen Magglio...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050207&content_id=940481&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Evman5
02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Many current White Sox players probably would echo Walker's thoughts. Don't look for Williams to be part of that meet-and-greet session.

"I have no interest in that," said Williams of meeting up with Ordonez when he returns. "I don't know that he fully understands. ...

"In more ways than he probably even knows, I tried to help him. It's a little perplexing."

What exactly does Williams mean when he says he tried to help him? I was a little confused.

SoxxoS
02-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey Lip

"I wish Magglio well," said White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf during a weekend conversation with MLB.com. "We offered him $60 million -- and all cash -- before he got hurt, and after he was hurt, we offered him the same and he turned it down.

Hmmm...no mention of deferred payments.

CubKilla
02-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey Lip

Right from the Chairman's mouth. There's an unbiased source.

And is the $60 a typo? I was under the impression that JR and Co. offered Maggs $70 million from all the "little Reinsy's" who frequent the boards.

NSSoxFan
02-07-2005, 10:29 PM

And is the $60 a typo? I was under the impression that JR and Co. offered Maggs $70 million from all the "little Reinsy's" who frequent the boards.

I doubt it is a typo, but I also thought it was 70.

JUribe1989
02-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Wow Magglio is such a jerk. Why couldn't he just be like the classy Carlos Lee and leave the Sox with his legacy and no hard feelings. Carlos went to a worse team than Maggs anyways. I don't see why Maggs has to bitch so much. I don't care if he is another one of Boras' puppets, he can say what he wants and I'm gonna love it when he is constantly hurt this year and finds the Tigers voiding his contract because he was out half the season. Oh and I bet Dye has better offensive numbers anyways. Networks Associates Colisseum is so much bigger than The Cell. Comerica Park is a pitcher's park, hope you enjoy it Maggs! :booty:

MRKARNO
02-07-2005, 10:39 PM
I doubt it is a typo, but I also thought it was 70.

There may have been a 60 million dollar offer without deferments and a 70 million dollar one with deferments.

oeo
02-07-2005, 11:13 PM
I really do not care what MoneybAGGS has to say anymore...he's lost his respect from me and probably all White Sox fans.

FightingBillini
02-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Carlos went to a worse team than Maggs anyways.
Um, did you watch the Brewers play last year? They are considerably better than the Tigers. The Tigers won 5 more games, but the Brewers are younger and have more talent. I guarantee the Brewers win more than the Tigers in 2005.

rwcescato
02-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Wow Magglio is such a jerk. Why couldn't he just be like the classy Carlos Lee and leave the Sox with his legacy and no hard feelings. Carlos went to a worse team than Maggs anyways. I don't see why Maggs has to bitch so much. I don't care if he is another one of Boras' puppets, he can say what he wants and I'm gonna love it when he is constantly hurt this year and finds the Tigers voiding his contract because he was out half the season. Oh and I bet Dye has better offensive numbers anyways. Networks Associates Colisseum is so much bigger than The Cell. Comerica Park is a pitcher's park, hope you enjoy it Maggs! :booty:

Maggs will hear boos from me. What a jerk he became. Very disappointing in someone who I thought had more class. Maggs go ahead and mark April 29th as a thrill day. I bet you he hears a loud chorus of boos from the crowd. He got paid 14 million last year and was offered 70 million over 5 years. I hope he is happy in motown.
Rich

SoxxoS
02-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Maggs will hear boos from me. What a jerk he became. Very disappointing in someone who I thought had more class. Maggs go ahead and mark April 29th as a thrill day. I bet you he hears a loud chorus of boos from the crowd. He got paid 14 million last year and was offered 70 million over 5 years. I hope he is happy in motown.
Rich

I am going to get cocky and say on April 29th we will be about 10 games ahead of the Tigers, so we have that in our "yelling" arsenal.

NSSoxFan
02-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Count me as one of the people that are going to be booing.

NSSoxFan
02-08-2005, 12:19 AM
I wonder what Hawk is going to have to say about this situation...

steff
02-08-2005, 05:46 AM

FWIU, the $70 offer included deferrments.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-08-2005, 06:59 AM
I stand by what I said to all my family and friends - when it comes out that Maggs' knee is worse than everyone thought, ALL of baseball will be saying KW was smart in offering a deferred contract.

Detroit has the right to VOID the agreement - and in today's ST, there's a blurb that Maggs says, "I have to prove to everyone I am ready to play". Why would you have to prove it if you were healthy? Oh wait, you and BorASS cancelled the tryout for the MLB scouts, that's right....

thepaulbowski
02-08-2005, 07:13 AM
FWIU, the $70 offer included deferrments.

Which would have been guaranteed, unlike his present contract that could be voided.

Steelrod
02-08-2005, 07:51 AM
I thought Mags problem with the Sox offer was deferrments. It appears that his Detroit contract is loaded with them. He and his agent are trying to make us look bad, but it won't work.
We offered a better contract, guaranteed money. At no point were the Sox offered any reason to believe he was healthy in order to offer arbitration before the deadline, or before the Sox could no longer bid on his services.Did he go to Detroit to be on a winner? Has been trying to sell his house for nearly a year, not since October.
THE BLAME RESTS SOLELY ON BORAS AND MAGGS SHOULDERS! LIVE WITH IT AND SHUT UP! IT WAS ALWAYS ABOUT MONEY AND STILL IS.

Jurr
02-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Um, did you watch the Brewers play last year? They are considerably better than the Tigers. The Tigers won 5 more games, but the Brewers are younger and have more talent. I guarantee the Brewers win more than the Tigers in 2005.
I don't know...if Maggs is healthy, they could be troublesome. Guillen is a stud, Pudge is Pudge, and adding Maggs to that lineup will be huge for them. They have great young pitchers (and I mean YOUNG) in Bonderman and Maroth. The Tiggers have something going. I just know they signed the worst possible player on the planet if they thought they were going to sneak up on the Sox this year. They're going to get a pissed off, tough opponent every game against the Sox. You get what you paid (a lot of money) for.

ChiSoxBobette
02-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Hey Lip

Deferred payments or not magglio is just another primadonna blowhard, the White Sox offered him 65m and then he gos out and gets Boras as his agent knowing full well the Sox don't like dealing with him. Ordonez just wanted out and the crap he spouts about loving the White Sox fans was a bunch of bull. Speaking of deferred if the whiner gos out there and can't play(which would be a laugh) he gets nothing. Also if you read the papers this morning it seems that maggs signed with the tiggers after the Mets and another team asked to see his medical records , so it seems to me the tiggers are just taking a chance (because they lost out on everyone else except Percival as a FA)and if the blowhard can't play his contract is voided. I know this year I'll be at those White Sox vs tiggers games and I hope the whiney b.i.t.c.h get louder boos than shamee does when he gets here. The guy turned out to be a whiney BUM! any Sox fan who cheers this idiot is a moron

soxtalker
02-08-2005, 09:32 AM
It seems to me that the apparent animosity between Maggs and the Sox started a long time ago. A year ago Maggs wanted a better contract than the Sox were willing to offer. I find it hard to get angry with either side on this. If he hadn't gotten injured (or was able to show that he was fully recovered), there probably would have been a major bidding war for his services -- and the Sox wouldn't have been even close to competing for him.

Tekijawa
02-08-2005, 09:35 AM
See you later Maggli-DOUGH... I got my RF tickets for the saturday game in april, looking to pick up ones for the Friday game... I've also begun my marathon training, not for a marathon, co I can have my lungs built up for 3 hours of continual booing!

infohawk
02-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Maggs is a great player and will be missed on the southside. Even so, it is difficult for me to believe that he was truly loyal to the organization in the end.

I don't take umbrage at a player leaving an organization if the organization is truly squeezing the player financially. My understanding, however, is that the Sox were offering somewhere in the neighborhood of $12 million a year. Its very difficult for me to understand why, if a player truly wanted to remain with a team, such an offer wouldn't be enough to get the job done, even with deferred money. What's the difference between filthy, stinkin' rich and a little more filthy, stinkin' rich?

I'm not saying that he didn't have the right to push for more money. If that's what he wanted, take the bigger contract, thank the Sox for his time there and move on. People understand the business side of baseball. I have serious problems, however, with him accusing the organization he grew up in of "playing games" when they offered a sizable contract even after what could prove to be a significant injury.

I also don't understand how Magglio can argue that the Sox were undermining his health status to other teams. It seems to me that it was Boras claiming that Maggs was healthy while suspiciously cancelling the workouts that were purportedly going to prove his health. Also, what message did other teams get when Maggs refused to demonstrate his recovery before the final date for the Sox to offer arbitration? Maggs now expresses regret that the Sox didn't offer him arbitration. Come on.

It pains me to say it, but I believe Magglio's comments have diminished him somewhat.

jabrch
02-08-2005, 11:20 AM
See you later Maggli-DOUGH...

NICE!

Sounds like a good sign for someone to make...OEO - MAGGLI - DOUGH

duke of dorwood
02-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Hey Money Bagglio-you'll hear my wrath

You didnt play here for nothing-we owe you nothing-your leaving here was business

Our booing you is business too

BBaum21
02-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Rich
I couldn't agree more!!

Sargeant79
02-08-2005, 11:46 AM
This is my first post here, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents...

I, for one, will definitely miss having Maggs out there. He is easily one of the game's top players...when healthy. The fact is that his knee was too big of a gamble to pony up the kind of money that he got from Detroit. They are taking a huge risk that may or may not work out. Even with the out clause, Detroit still eats 15 million for an unhealthy player if his knee isn't okay. If the Sox took that risk, kiss goodbye every positive move KW was able to make this offseason. Good for Maggs to con a team into paying him that kind of money. As much as I would have loved to see Maggs finish his career on the south side, the Sox are a better team this upcoming season for not having signed him when they did. And am I the only one who is suspicious of Boras's repeated scheduling and cancellation of workouts?

Lip Man 1
02-08-2005, 12:02 PM
For what it's worth in Phil Rogers column today (Tuesday) on Ordonez and Scott Boras, he states the Sox offered a five year 65 million dollar deal. That's all he says, I have no idea where his information came from.

He also states contrary to what some think that Dave Dombrowski wasn't the driving person behind this deal and apparently did it with some real reservations.

Mike Ilitch (sorry if the spelling is wrong) is also quoted in a story today in (I think) the Sun-Times as saying...'I extended myself (in the offer) and am going to keep extending myself (in the future.)' because of the fact that Detroit has not had a winning season in eleven years.

Lip

MUsoxfan
02-08-2005, 12:06 PM
'I extended myself (in the offer) and am going to keep extending myself (in the future.)' because of the fact that Detroit has not had a winning season in eleven years.

Lip

Well there won't be a 12th. 92wins and a division crown As per the Tiger message board

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 12:11 PM
For what it's worth in Phil Rogers column today (Tuesday) on Ordonez and Scott Boras, he states the Sox offered a five year 65 million dollar deal. That's all he says, I have no idea where his information came from.

He also states contrary to what some think that Dave Dombrowski wasn't the driving person behind this deal and apparently did it with some real reservations.

Mike Ilitch (sorry if the spelling is wrong) is also quoted in a story today in (I think) the Sun-Times as saying...'I extended myself (in the offer) and am going to keep extending myself (in the future.)' because of the fact that Detroit has not had a winning season in eleven years.

Lip

Interesting, and I wouldn't doubt that that was one of the offers, but I believe even Rogers has been quoted with the Sox going higher.

On a side note: JR was quoted as having offered 5/$60 "Straight cash, homey". And they left the deal on the table after Maggs got hurt.

mjharrison72
02-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Except now WE have Pods.

Lip Man 1
02-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Flight:

Then obviously someone is lying because Maggs and others in the media have stated numerous times there was deferred money in the deal.

Unless someone was sitting in the room at the time when the offer was made we'll never know for sure.

Lip

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Flight:

Then obviously someone is lying because Maggs and others in the media have stated numerous times there was deferred money in the deal.

Unless someone was sitting in the room at the time when the offer was made we'll never know for sure.

Lip

I believe we're discussing different offers. There were reports of a 5/$70 offer made that included deferrals. I believe that's what Maggs was referring to. The more recent report of 5/$60 without deferrals would have been an alternative offer.

But you're right, no one will know (except for those who already know).:cool:

And for the record, there are reports of deferrals in his Tigers contract as well, but not the specifics of those deferrals.

MUsoxfan
02-08-2005, 12:26 PM
On a side note: JR was quoted as having offered 5/$60 "Straight cash, homey".

:rolling: Great line!

gosox41
02-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Flight:

Lip

There could have been more then one deal offered. Maybe as the money got closer to $70 the Sox wanted to defer some of it.

Bob

FoulkeFan
02-08-2005, 02:09 PM
I can't understand all of the negative feelings towards Magglio. He played great when he was here and he left to take more money. Most players would do the same. Very few (if any) players are loyal to their organizations any more and I can't say that I blame them. If it were me, I would play for whoever was going to pay me the most too.

I will agree that Magglio made a lot of negative comments when he left. But those were about Sox management. And KW is hardly blameless in this situation. He didn't need to comment about Maggs' injury to the press when he had no intention of re-signing him. And we all know that the Sox had no intention of trying to re-sign him because they tried to trade him before the start of the season. I guess I just have trouble believing that the Sox were really making an effort to be loyal to him. So why isn't everybody here bashing the Sox management for not doing whatever it takes to keep him? I just think that there is a lot of misguided loyalty on this board to Sox management that has done nothing for us and always worries only about the bottom line.

I agree that Magglio could have handled this better and that he probably had no intention of staying with the White Sox, but they really didn't want him anyway. Why all of the animosity towards Magglio???

Ol' No. 2
02-08-2005, 02:14 PM
I can't understand all of the negative feelings towards Magglio. He played great when he was here and he left to take more money. Most players would do the same. Very few (if any) players are loyal to their organizations any more and I can't say that I blame them. If it were me, I would play for whoever was going to pay me the most too.

I will agree that Magglio made a lot of negative comments when he left. But those were about Sox management. And KW is hardly blameless in this situation. He didn't need to comment about Maggs' injury to the press when he had no intention of re-signing him. And we all know that the Sox had no intention of trying to re-sign him because they tried to trade him before the start of the season. I guess I just have trouble believing that the Sox were really making an effort to be loyal to him. So why isn't everybody here bashing the Sox management for not doing whatever it takes to keep him? I just think that there is a lot of misguided loyalty on this board to Sox management that has done nothing for us and always worries only about the bottom line.

I agree that Magglio could have handled this better and that he probably had no intention of staying with the White Sox, but they really didn't want him anyway. Why all of the animosity towards Magglio???Hello???? Anybody home??? They had no intention of re-signing him? Then what was that 5-yr $70M offer all about? And what, exactly did KW say publicly about Ordonez' injury that has him all steamed up? (Not what did some sportswriter paraphrase KW to say...what did he actually say?)

OurBitchinMinny
02-08-2005, 02:20 PM
KW responds to the childish remarks of Queen Magglio...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050207&content_id=940481&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

So bitter. Time to move on. You would do the same exact thing if you were in his situation (maybe if you had grown up a white sox fan, but i doubt maggs did). And its not like the white sox have a good track record of screwing players over, so its not like JRs or KWs words are fact

bartmanisgod
02-08-2005, 02:21 PM
I would love to hear them play over the loud speaker:

OHHH EEEE OOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Hello???? Anybody home??? They had no intention of re-signing him? Then what was that 5-yr $70M offer all about? And what, exactly did KW say publicly about Ordonez' injury that has him all steamed up? (Not what did some sportswriter paraphrase KW to say...what did he actually say?)

Don't waste your time with these people, 2. They're jilted Magglio lovers. It makes no difference how many undisputed facts you present them with, they're convinced the Sox and KW just have to shoulder some blame for this.

The jilted Magglio lovers ought to go to Flubs Interactive and whine about Hendry, too. Didn't Magglio say he was willing to offer a hometown discount to the Flubs? Hendry must have been the goat there, too!!!

Tears on the pillow for jilted Magglio lovers...
:whiner:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-08-2005, 02:27 PM
So bitter. Time to move on. You would do the same exact thing if you were in his situation (maybe if you had grown up a white sox fan, but i doubt maggs did). And its not like the white sox have a good track record of screwing players over, so its not like JRs or KWs words are fact

Yeah, like your track record of pissing on the Sox isn't well known, too.
:rolleyes:

FoulkeFan
02-08-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm not a "jilted Magglio lover". My feeling about Ordonez is "don't let the door hit you on the way out." If he didn't want to be here, then we're better off without him. I just don't see the Sox as victims in all of this because I don't think they wanted to keep him, offer or no offer. And based on what I read on this board most fans don't think he was worth the money that he was asking for. So why is everyone still so upset about it? That seems like the attitude of a REAL jilted Magglio lover - "why isn't he loyal to the Sox".

I'm surprised that most people on this board seems willing to believe Sox management about this. It's like something from bizarro world - KW is the sympathetic figure and Magglio is the bad guy? What are Sox fans coming to? Aren't we supposed to bash everyone?

spawn
02-08-2005, 03:31 PM
This is my first post here, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents...

I, for one, will definitely miss having Maggs out there. He is easily one of the game's top players...when healthy. The fact is that his knee was too big of a gamble to pony up the kind of money that he got from Detroit. They are taking a huge risk that may or may not work out. Even with the out clause, Detroit still eats 15 million for an unhealthy player if his knee isn't okay. If the Sox took that risk, kiss goodbye every positive move KW was able to make this offseason. Good for Maggs to con a team into paying him that kind of money. As much as I would have loved to see Maggs finish his career on the south side, the Sox are a better team this upcoming season for not having signed him when they did. And am I the only one who is suspicious of Boras's repeated scheduling and cancellation of workouts?
It seems only White Sox fans care about the cancelled workouts. It conveniently skips the minds of everone else, ESPECIALLY Tigger fans.

:welcome:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-08-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm surprised that most people on this board seems willing to believe Sox management about this. It's like something from bizarro world - KW is the sympathetic figure and Magglio is the bad guy? What are Sox fans coming to? Aren't we supposed to bash everyone?

We're willing to believe Sox management because Magglio has obfuscated and misrepresented (if not flat-out lied) to any number of different people, not just the Sox, about his actions and motives regarding his contract and ability to play.

I'm guessing Magglio had Sox Fans just like you in mind when he went crying to the Cubune (two or three times over) about how the Sox aren't serious about winning. We're suppose to take Magglio's word on the subject?
:kukoo:

Hangar18
02-08-2005, 04:07 PM
I very much believe the SOX were NEVER serious about re-signing him.
He made things worse by Rejecting the SOX offer, than when he got hurt,
the SOX sighed in relief, knowing they were gonna be Cutting Payroll
this year. Im mad that only with the SOX could a situation turn into a
MESS like this. Theyre BOTH at fault. My personal feelings are that
because he was my favorite player, wish he Called the SOX Bluff and took
the offer. But then Buehrle or Konerko would be gone instead.

Steff did point out that he and his agent were shady about letting the
sox know about his medical condition. too bad, he shouldve ended his
career in a Sox uniform. :mad:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-08-2005, 04:10 PM
He made things worse by Rejecting the SOX off...

career in a Sox uniform.

As usual Henry, clear as mud.
:cool:

Baby Fisk
02-08-2005, 04:11 PM
As usual Henry, clear as mud.
:cool:
I'm trying to figure out the "Cutting Payroll" thing. :?: Anyone?

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm trying to figure out the "Cutting Payroll" thing. :?: Anyone?

It's simple. They didn't increase payroll via signing a bigname FA, therefore, by process of elimination, they cut payroll.

Apparently raising and cutting payroll are all part of an organic globule from which one extracts what one needs.

steff
02-08-2005, 04:54 PM
He made things worse by Rejecting the SOX offer, than when he got hurt,
the SOX sighed in relief, knowing they were gonna be Cutting Payroll
this year. Im mad that only with the SOX could a situation turn into a
MESS like this. Theyre BOTH at fault. My personal feelings are that
because he was my favorite player, wish he Called the SOX Bluff and took
the offer. But then Buehrle or Konerko would be gone instead.

career in a Sox uniform. :mad:

Does one side of your mouth ever get more tired than the other..?? :rolleyes:

NSSoxFan
02-08-2005, 04:58 PM

Magglio owes a part of his success to the Sox. When he was found in Venezuela, I don't know the particulars as to what other teams were scouting him, but the Sox ended up being that team. From that point on the Sox helped him become the player he is, plain and simple. And to turn his back on the organization and the fans, is unexplainable. He could have chosen to go out without saying anything, just like Carlos, but he showed his true colors.

SoxEd
02-08-2005, 05:44 PM
I just think that there is a lot of misguided loyalty on this board to Sox management that has done nothing for us and always worries only about the bottom line.

Yep, this board always just swims in our enthusiasm for the ownership & front office 24/7/365.

Actually, to be fair, we have been markedly less damning of the front office since this off-season's acquisitions were announced.

I agree that Magglio could have handled this better and that he probably had no intention of staying with the White Sox, but they really didn't want him anyway. Why all of the animosity towards Magglio???

I think the animosity is a result of his turning the Sox down to go for a similar offer from a weaker team, one that is in our own division to boot.

And then bad-mouthing the organisation rather than just letting his bat do the talking... real classy.

IMO he's made himself a real hostage to fortune - if he puts up outstanding numbers this year, then fair enough, but if he has a season that is any less than absolutely stellar, how big of a schmuck is he going to look?

Stooge78
02-08-2005, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=FoulkeFan] So why isn't everybody here bashing the Sox management for not doing whatever it takes to keep him?QUOTE]

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not bashing management for this because I believe that the money that would have been tied up in Maggs was spent on acquisitions that are going to do us a lot more good than one right fielder with an iffy knee.

BTW, long time lurker, first time poster. I love this site! You guys rule!

Evman5
02-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Many current White Sox players probably would echo Walker's thoughts. Don't look for Williams to be part of that meet-and-greet session.

"I have no interest in that," said Williams of meeting up with Ordonez when he returns. "I don't know that he fully understands. ...

"In more ways than he probably even knows, I tried to help him. It's a little perplexing."

What exactly does Williams mean when he says he tried to help him? I was a lttle confused.

BigFrankRetard
02-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Deferred payments or not magglio is just another primadonna blowhard, the White Sox offered him 65m and then he gos out and gets Boras as his agent knowing full well the Sox don't like dealing with him. Ordonez just wanted out and the crap he spouts about loving the White Sox fans was a bunch of bull.

That pretty much sums it up. The minute that Maggs hired Boras, he was no longer serious about staying on the South Side. Maggs' decision to sign with the Tigers had everything to do with money and nothing to do with being on a winning team or padding his offensive stats.

I am hesitant to completely abstain KW or JR from blame, but if they did offer Maggs a $60-70 million deal and Maggs/Boras refused to work out for the Sox, Maggs is clearly the ass in this situation. It's a shame, as I've always liked him. But there's excuse for bashing KW in the media, even if he did offer Maggs less money than he thought he deserved. Maggs' behavior is extremely disappointing. Looks like I'll be giving my #30 jersey away to goodwill.

Iwritecode
02-09-2005, 02:06 PM
bad, he shouldve ended his career in a Sox uniform.

He may have when he collided with Willie...

SoxxoS
02-09-2005, 02:07 PM
He may have when he collided with Willie...

very nice, IWC.

owensmouth
02-09-2005, 02:47 PM
There's two sides to this storey.

On one side is Magglio, who wanted very much to maximize his earnings through free agency. He said it repeatedly. He said he wanted a Vladimer type contract. Well, he got it.

The other side is the White Sox, an organization that has less than unlimited resources. They can develop players, but cannot keep their best too long, because their payroll becomes top heavy. That's what they were approaching this year. They could either keep Maggs and forget about improving their pitching, or save the Maggs money and use it elsewhere. They couldn't do both.

The biggest problem is that their minor league system has been infertile. Without quality players coming up from the minors, the team has had to acquire vetrans to cover their weak spots. That's far more expensive than just bringing up a rookie.

With Lee and Magglio gone, the Sox have saved some 20 million dollars and reinvested it in several others.

Until the White Sox organization starts producing quality players, the team will remain mired as it is, 2d to 4th place, and no realistic chance of a division title.