PDA

View Full Version : WhiteSox.com Mailbag: Shining a light on 2005

Jabroni
02-07-2005, 08:21 PM
"Mailbag: Shining a light on 2005
Scott Merkin answers White Sox fans' questions"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050206&content_id=940000&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp
With the recent signing of Iguchi, what is the projected Opening Day lineup for the White Sox? Keep up the great work. It helps me stay updated on all the Sox news while I'm at school.
-- Josh, Auburn, Ala.

The lineup looks to be Podsednik in left, Iguchi at second, Dye in right, Konerko at first, Everett as the team's designated hitter, Rowand in center, Pierzynski behind the plate, Juan Uribe at shortstop and Crede at third base. It seems to be a very balanced lineup, in terms of speed and power, and right-handed (six) vs. left-handed hitters (two).

When Thomas returns, he will slide into the cleanup spot, and Everett will work in a reserve role. If Iguchi struggles early on, he could move to the ninth spot in the order, with Uribe jumping up to No. 2. I like Crede hitting ninth in the lineup, taking any pressure off the young third baseman as a middle-of-the-order performer, and giving the White Sox that rare commodity of a ninth hitter who can consistently drive in runs.LF Scott Podsednik
2B Tadahito Iguchi
RF Jermaine Dye
1B Paul Konerko
DH Carl Everett
CF Aaron Rowand
C_ A.J. Pierzynski
SS Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede

BRDSR
02-07-2005, 09:24 PM
"Mailbag: Shining a light on 2005
Scott Merkin answers White Sox fans' questions"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050206&content_id=940000&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp
LF Scott Podsednik
2B Tadahito Iguchi
RF Jermaine Dye
1B Paul Konerko
DH Carl Everett
CF Aaron Rowand
C_ A.J. Pierzynski
SS Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede

Lord, if that lineup doesn't look darn good to me. Juan Uribe and his .283, 23 homers batting 8th? Crede, with 21 homers last year and (optimistic but definitely not out line) .270 average this season batting 9th? There are so many good batting orders you can trot out with those 9 guys, and then imagine Frank coming back in mid-May! Combine that with 5 solid starters and no glaring holes in the bullpen and I think we have the makings for 93 wins-95 wins and a division championship. Can't wait.

chisox06
02-07-2005, 09:26 PM
2B Tadahito Iguchi
RF Jermaine Dye
1B Paul Konerko
DH Carl Everett
CF Aaron Rowand
C_ A.J. Pierzynski
SS Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede

It still amazing to look at that lineup and see how different it is from last year. Heres to a new beginning!:gulp:

NSSoxFan
02-07-2005, 09:40 PM
It still amazing to look at that lineup and see how different it is from last year. Heres to a new beginning!:gulp:

I don't see how a team that has lost MVP's like Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez, I just don't see how the White Sox can win.

guillen4life13
02-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Carl will probably deserve more than a reserve role once Frank gets back. Does he become a part of a trade at that point?

hold2dibber
02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Carl will probably deserve more than a reserve role once Frank gets back. Does he become a part of a trade at that point?

I really doubt it, unless one of the starters has been hurt or ineffective. Even when Frank comes back, I would think the Sox would want Carl as insurance in case Frank gets hurt again. Also, if Podsednik is more like the '04 version than the '03 version, Everett could take ABs away from him. Finally, the Sox have NO power coming off the bench without Everett, so I think he'll be too valuable to trade (again, absent a glaring pitching deficiency).

NSSoxFan
02-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I really doubt it, unless one of the starters has been hurt or ineffective. Even when Frank comes back, I would think the Sox would want Carl as insurance in case Frank gets hurt again. Also, if Podsednik is more like the '04 version than the '03 version, Everett could take ABs away from him. Finally, the Sox have NO power coming off the bench without Everett, so I think he'll be too valuable to trade (again, absent a glaring pitching deficiency).

I totally agree. If the Sox are in it at the Break, KW will pull the trigger on some sort of deal to make the team better. I don't think the trade will involve Carl unless it is a must do deal.

Mohoney
02-07-2005, 10:39 PM

I don't see us trading him. I think he becomes part of a very effective platoon. Dye, Rowand, Frank, and Podsednik will all need days off at some point during the season, and since both Podsednik and Rowand can play CF, we can put together some really nice OF combinations to take advantage of matchups against certain pitchers. Let's say that the injury bug stays far away from our outfield, and Frank comes back right around the beginning of June. Podsednik and Rowand each start about 150 games, Dye starts about 130 games, and Frank starts about 100 games. That leaves roughly 50-55 OF starts in addition to the 60 or so starts at DH that need to be filled. We're all assuming that Everett gets the overwhelming majority of the DH starts not made by Frank. Out of the 50 remaining outfield starts, I would guess that Timo probably takes 30-35, meaning that Everett gets the remaining 20-25.

For example, if Rowand gets a breather against certain righties, Podsednik plays CF, Dye plays RF, and Everett plays LF.

If we face a pitcher with an overwhelming propensity to give up the longball and a catcher that shuts down the running game, we can give Podsednik a breather, lead Iguchi off, slide Rowand up to the #2 spot in the lineup, and sneak Everett's power bat into the #5 spot in the order.

If Frank needs a rest, we field the non-Frank lineup described earlier in this thread.

You're right in the sense that OF depth is probably our best asset on this team, and if we were to make a trade it wouldn't be a bad idea to deal from strength. However, I think that Everett will provide good flexibility and provide good insurance in case of an injury, and losing that would have to merit either a major league ready pitcher or, at the very least, a very good haul of prospects in any trade.

fusillirob1983
02-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Unless Kenny trades Carl before the deadline and then tries to trade to get him back again at the deadline, then I don't see Carl being moved during the season.