PDA

View Full Version : SI.Com's Analysis of the Ordonez signing

spawn
02-07-2005, 01:19 PM
This deal says more about the maligned city of Detroit, its oversized ballpark and its long-suffering ballclub than anything else. Apparently the Tigers have to overpay through the nose to get a marquee free agent to sign with them, or else Ordonez wouldn't have extracted such a king's ransom. (What would it take to bring an A-Rod to Detroit, a billion dollars?) There is an out-clause after the first year if Ordonez's bothersome knee sidelines him for more than 25 days. But after 2005 the other four years become guaranteed. More than likely, the Tigers are stuck with this contract, for better or worse.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/11/15/freeagent.analysis/index.html

Good luck, Tiger fans...they'll be regretting this move in a couple of years...

Nick@Nite
02-07-2005, 01:31 PM
"What would it take to bring an A-Rod to Detroit, a billion dollars?"

:borass:
heh, heh, heh... hehhh

Foulke You
02-07-2005, 03:32 PM

"A-Rod to Detroit? 10 years, $95 million per year should do it, with an option for an 11th year at $120 million. I'm a reasonable man."

PAPChiSox729
02-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Didn't Ordonez make $14 mil last year? I don't see how after missing most of the season last year, he got a $1 mil raise. Maybe they know something we don't... Even when Magglio was a .300-30-100 guy, he was still only worth 8 to 9 mil per year at best. This signing has 'New York Mets' written all over it.

LASOXFAN
02-08-2005, 03:06 AM

"A-Rod to Detroit? 10 years, $95 million per year should do it, with an option for an 11th year at $120 million. I'm a reasonable man."

I hate Boras as much as anyone on the planet...but if you were a pro athlete, who would you want negotiating your contracts? A nice guy? Or the guy who's going to get you the biggest payday?