PDA

View Full Version : Cubune: Magglio STILL whining about Sox...

DrCrawdad
02-07-2005, 12:10 AM
New cubune article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050206soxordonez,1,2609173.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

"When you have an owner that's committed to you and respects and believes in you, it really feels good," Ordonez said by phone from Detroit. "I'm really excited to get going now."

"I don't think someone would sign me for seven years if my knee wasn't all right," Ordonez said. "That's one of the reasons I didn't sign back with Chicago. Kenny was burying me, saying my knee was not OK. It feels good to have an owner and a general manager who treat you like this."

Asked about playing the Sox 18 times a year, Ordonez thumbed through a Tigers pocket schedule to find out when he'd first return to the South Side.

"April 29," he said. "Three games. That's going to be exciting."

Will Sox fans greet Ordonez with an ovation for his years of service or with boos for rejecting what many believed was a fair offer? Ordonez was unsure.

"I hope the fans know I did my best for them, and they'll appreciate that," he said.

I appreciate what you did in a White Sox uniform. I don't appreciate you firing away at the Sox, 'throwing bricks from distance.' I would have appreciated if Magglio took the "high-road."

I think Magglio had better be prepared for a rude reception.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-07-2005, 12:31 AM
If I hear anyone cheering for him..... I won't be gentle. At all. Towards the cheering one's. Let's leave it at that.

Thought of Magglio makes me :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

HebrewHammer
02-07-2005, 01:02 AM
When the press conference was over did he just drop the mike and walk off to his theme music while flipping off everyone in attendance?

NSSoxFan
02-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Oh, it's on now.

Cubbiesuck13
02-07-2005, 01:34 AM
I won't cheer and I won't boo. In a perfect world, when Maggs get introduced the whole staduim will go silent. Just for a moment. That's how I am going to deal with it. He played hard and put up awsome numbers for us. Like so many other players his greed was more powerfull than anything else. I hate that he is taking shots at the Sox but that's something I can get over. A silent crowd with no cheers nor boos would be more telling than anything else. His health is no longer our concern and I am confident that Burly-mon is a better pitcher than he is a hitter. Maybe he will help the Tigers beat the Twins and Injuns.

TDog
02-07-2005, 01:53 AM
... and I am confident that Burly-mon is a better pitcher than he is a hitter. ...

I don't know how intensely Greg Walker worked with Ordonez. I'm sure Walker had enough on his hands without worrying much about Ordonez. But I am guessing he has a better idea than most baseball people about Ordonez's weaknesses as a hitter. In any case, the Sox should have information that would amount to great scouting reports.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-07-2005, 02:13 AM
Yes, thank you Magglio Ordonez. You truly did do the best for the White Sox. I'm glad the White Sox aren't committing 1/5th of the entire payroll to one single player. With the money that you were set to make, Kenny Williams was able to fill in many holes on the roster.

owensmouth
02-07-2005, 04:30 AM
Comments by Magglio should be held in the same high regard as those by Canseco and David Wells.

Viva Medias B's
02-07-2005, 07:01 AM
I'd love to hear how KW responds to Ordonez's comments. I bet a majority of Sox fans will boo Ordonez, more so because of how he exited than the mere fact that he is with someone else.

:maggs = :whiner:

Steelrod
02-07-2005, 07:32 AM
New cubune article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050206soxordonez,1,2609173.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

I appreciate what you did in a White Sox uniform. I don't appreciate you firing away at the Sox, 'throwing bricks from distance.' I would have appreciated if Magglio took the "high-road."

If Mags truely wanted to stay with the Sox, why didn't he allow anyone to examine him prior to the arbitration deadline, and why did he put his house up for sale in May, and move to Florida! He was quoted as very disappointed and was going to sell his home here, when in fact it was listed for sale 5 months earlier.

nccwsfan
02-07-2005, 07:36 AM
He won't be booed when he comes back to the Cell in April because he won't be in the lineup come April. Or May. Or June. You get the point....

:maggs:
+
Better get used to seeing this symbol next to his name for years to come...

Brian26
02-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Mags really sounds like a misguided young man, doesn't he?

infohawk
02-07-2005, 09:13 AM
I have to say that I was disappointed after reading the article. KW has been provided ample opportunity to criticize Magglio and defend the Sox. Rather than unload, KW has taken the high road. It isn't even a matter of who ultimately has the truth on their side or not. Once the breakdown occurs and a player moves on, both sides should take the high road. As much as I like and respect Maggs, KW did the right thing when he just praised Maggs for his time with the Sox and left it at that.

Clement's beard
02-07-2005, 09:17 AM
He oviously kept true to his word that he wanted to play for a winner. What a terrible way for his Sox career to come to an end. I expect a full page add ala Sammy to appear in the Tribune and Sun-Times thanking Sox fans for 7 great years.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 09:20 AM
I expect a full page add ala Sammy to appear in the Tribune and Sun-Times thanking Sox fans for 7 great years.

Sure... maybe with Magglio wearing a pink tu-tu? In your jilted wet dreams...

:cool:

Ol' No. 2
02-07-2005, 09:21 AM
I won't cheer and I won't boo. In a perfect world, when Maggs get introduced the whole staduim will go silent. Just for a moment. That's how I am going to deal with it. He played hard and put up awsome numbers for us. Like so many other players his greed was more powerfull than anything else. I hate that he is taking shots at the Sox but that's something I can get over. A silent crowd with no cheers nor boos would be more telling than anything else. His health is no longer our concern and I am confident that Burly-mon is a better pitcher than he is a hitter. Maybe he will help the Tigers beat the Twins and Injuns.Best idea yet. Silence.

DrCrawdad
02-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Best idea yet. Silence.

For the record, I'm not advocating booing Magglio. I can just see that that will probably happen. If Sox fans boo Magglio no doubt the local media will simply use it as an opportunity to attack Sox fans. Booing Magglio, while understandable, will only cause us grief. I like the idea of silence.

Nick@Nite
02-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Best idea yet. Silence.

Silence is sometimes the loudest response. :yup:

Clement's beard
02-07-2005, 09:29 AM
George,

All jokes aside, how good of a player do you think Magglio was? Do you think he was overrated or do you feel he is in the team photo as one of the 25 best Sox to play the game?

Uncle_Patrick
02-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I won't cheer and I won't boo. In a perfect world, when Maggs get introduced the whole staduim will go silent. Just for a moment. That's how I am going to deal with it. He played hard and put up awsome numbers for us. Like so many other players his greed was more powerfull than anything else. I hate that he is taking shots at the Sox but that's something I can get over. A silent crowd with no cheers nor boos would be more telling than anything else. His health is no longer our concern and I am confident that Burly-mon is a better pitcher than he is a hitter. Maybe he will help the Tigers beat the Twins and Injuns.

I agree. Silence is the way to go. I loved Magglio as White Sox player. I don't hate him now. I'm just dissappointed with his latest comments. I had gotten the feeling that he wasn't all that interested in coming back to the White Sox, no matter what he says about loving Chicago. I don't wish him ill. I don't wish him well. I don't care what he does now except when he plays the White Sox.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 09:34 AM
George,

All jokes aside, how good of a player do you think Magglio was? Do you think he was overrated or do you feel he is in the team photo as one of the 25 best Sox to play the game?

Team photo of the 25 best Sox????
:o:

Right now Magglio Ordonez is lower than whale ****.

Go cry on your pillow. Not only did he dump you, he is going out of his way to talk bad about you. **** him.

nccwsfan
02-07-2005, 09:47 AM
He posted good numbers while he was here, but no way should Magglio have his number retired here. Retiring numbers should be reserved for the best of the best. Frank is the only player right now that we should be having this debate about...

spawn
02-07-2005, 10:28 AM
His comments makes me appreciate KW even more. As has been stated here, Kenny went out of his way to praise Maggs' tenure here. He could've blasted Maggs, but took the high road. Maggs should be happy someone overpaid for him, and realized it's a business. Yet he wants to blast Kenny. maggs can go **** himself as far as I'm concerned. When he comes to the Cell for the first time, when he's introduced I'll be sitting on my hands. Booing him will make him think he still affects us. I think a loud cheer or standing 'O' for Jermaine Dye (a man with integrity and character) his first time at bat will send a clearer signal to Maggs as to how we feel.

Hitmen77
02-07-2005, 11:12 AM
You gotta love how the CUBUNE keeps working the Cubs into this story:

The Cubs were among the teams originally interested in signing Ordonez, believing they could reel him in with a two-year deal. Ordonez's stated desire to stay in Chicago led the Cubs to believe he'd jump at the chance to prove himself on the North Side, trading long-term security for the comfort of playing in Chicago.....

Once considered at least co-favorites to obtain Ordonez, the Cubs never really were players in the bidding. The knee injury was a decided factor in their reluctance to offer a long-term deal.

"Certainly we did our homework and had a lot of healthy discussions with Scott Boras in a very upfront and honest way," Cubs GM Jim Hendry said.

"Basically we felt that where we wanted to go [contractually] wasn't in the ballpark of some of the offers. It was something that we thought the risk, for the length and dollars being offered, didn't make much sense."

Ordonez said he had no hard feelings for the Cubs.

Wow, only the CUBune could turn a Ordonez leaving the Sox for the Tigers story into a Cubs story. I love that last line: "Ordonez said he had no hard feelings for the Cubs." LOL! My goodness Maggs leaves the Sox for Detroit and the CUBune is reporting that Maggs has no hard feeling for the Cubs.:?: I'm glad the Trib provides such a fair and balanced coverage of the Sox!

Dan H
02-07-2005, 11:37 AM
I have no animosity toward Ordonez and have no intention of ever booing him. He is not completely at fault for his departure. Let's just hope his cheaper replacement can put up good numbers because he has been injured and his career year was five years ago.

mdep524
02-07-2005, 11:47 AM
You gotta love how the CUBUNE keeps working the Cubs into this story:

Wow, only the CUBune could turn a Ordonez leaving the Sox for the Tigers story into a Cubs story. I love that last line: "Ordonez said he had no hard feelings for the Cubs." LOL! My goodness Maggs leaves the Sox for Detroit and the CUBune is reporting that Maggs has no hard feeling for the Cubs.:?: I'm glad the Trib provides such a fair and balanced coverage of the Sox!
LOL, what a joke.

"Basically we felt that where we wanted to go [contractually] wasn't in the ballpark of some of the offers. It was something that we thought the risk, for the length and dollars being offered, didn't make much sense."

Ordonez said he had no hard feelings for the Cubs.

"They have to do what they have to do," he said.
So the Sox offer Magglio 5 years/$70 million while the Cubs offer him essentially nothing, citing the EXACT same concerns as the Sox, and Magglio is bitter toward the Sox but has no hard feelings for the Cubs?? Hilarious.

To recap: Magglio craps all over the Sox' 5 yr/70 mil offer and questions the Sox' commitment to winning, then turns around and offers the hated Cubs a hometown discount, then signs with one of baseball's biggest loser franchises.

It's hard to even take this guy seriously anymore.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 11:49 AM
He is not completely at fault for his departure.

Okay... how did you come to this conclusion?

I suppose we could blame God for Magglio getting hurt. Other than Him, who else do we blame besides Magglio himself???
:?:

Baby Fisk
02-07-2005, 11:53 AM

I suppose we could blame God for Magglio getting hurt. Other than Him, who else do we blame besides Magglio himself???

Willie Harris. :rolleyes:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-07-2005, 11:55 AM

Go cry on your pillow. Not only did he dump you, he is going out of his way to talk bad about you. **** him.

Amen! :worship:

I honestly believe the way he treated the organization and the way he is bad mouthing it now is worse than what Sammy Sosa did to the sCrUBS. At least during his press conference in Baltimore, Sosa chose to kept quiet and put the past behind him. Meanwhile, Magglio continues to accuse KW and the White Sox of mistreating him and lying about his injury. Do the baseball world a favor Magglino, shut up and play ball. Oh that's right, you can't play yet, you're knee is still damaged. Huh, and KW is the liar huh?

Corlose 15
02-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Whats really funny about Magglio saying the Sox aren't comitted to winning is when he finds out that Mike Illitch doesn't give a **** about the Tigers compared to the Red Wings.

Brian26
02-07-2005, 12:24 PM

Nobody else has tried this, and I'm not sure I should even start since I'm at work with my lunch in front of me instead of the White Sox Encyclopedia.

I'll try to name 25 players better than Mags in White Sox history (in no particular order):

1- Frank Thomas
2- Shoeless Joe Jackson
3- Nellie Fox
4- Luis Aparacio
5- Carlton Fisk
6- Robin Ventura
7- Harold Baines
8- Minnie Minoso
9- Billy Pierce
10- Luke Appling
11- Ted Lyons
12- Dick Allen
13- Bill Melton
14- Jack McDowell
15- Gary Peters

Anyone obvious that I'm missing here? This is harder than it looks.

Brian26
02-07-2005, 12:26 PM
He is not completely at fault for his departure.

Boy, this is a stretch if there ever was one. 99% of it is his fault.
Turning down the original Sox offer is his fault. His unwillingness to work out for Kenny this winter is his fault.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 12:28 PM

You're joking right?

I can name 300 or so ballplayers that played 7 or more seasons with the Sox and never saw fit to PISS ALL OVER THE BALLCLUB because $70 million just wasn't enough.
:kukoo:

Brian26
02-07-2005, 12:30 PM
You're joking right?

I can name 300 or so ballplayers that played 7 or more seasons with the Sox and never saw fit to PISS ALL OVER THE BALLCLUB because $70 million just wasn't enough.

Whoa. I was going by stats, PHG. If we're talking attitude, I guess my list should be revised.

gosox41
02-07-2005, 12:30 PM

Can't say I'm surprised by Magglio's medical records. Again, maybe he and Boras could explain why they didn't let the Sox see medical records when he was still property of the Sox.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Whoa. I was going by stats, PHG. If we're talking attitude, I guess my list should be revised.

Yeah, what the hell. Be sure to add the eight Black Sox to your list. They were only in it for the money too, right? If the 1919 Sox had Magglio we would have won it all!

spawn
02-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Can't say I'm surprised by Magglio's medical records. Again, maybe he and Boras could explain why they didn't let the Sox see medical records when he was still property of the Sox.

Bob
That's easy...he never had any intentions of re-signing with the Sox. Then, when not offered arbitration, when he eventually did sign, he could play the martyr. Unfortunately for him, he didn't play it well.

Brian26
02-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Yeah, what the hell. Be sure to add the eight Black Sox to your list. They were only in it for the money too, right? If the 1919 Sox had Magglio we would have won it all!

Well, let's just wipe the list clean. Let's see....top 25 players who played for 7 years and didn't piss over the organization after they left:

1- Don Paul (no, check that, he wasn't with us for 7 years).

Hmmm.

Let's see.

I'll get back to you.

TheTwinsMustDie
02-07-2005, 03:16 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050206soxordonez,1,2609173.story?coll=cs-home-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

He was greedy and scr*wed himself. Now he's in that h*llhole known as Detroit. He got the millions that were so important to him, yet he keeps whining about how he was treated by the Sox !!

I don't know about you, but I will not be cheering for Maggs upon his return to US Cellular.

StillMissOzzie
02-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Speaking of fair and balanced reporting, I just love how the Sox are characterized as cheap SOB's after making the 5 yr/$70M offer that was declined, and then not making an arbitration offer, whereas the sCrUBS are characterized as cautious and wise for not going beyond 2 yrs / $X, an offer that was already shorter and lower than Detroit's offer already on the table.

SMO
:angry:

Brian26
02-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Speaking of fair and balanced reporting, I just love how the Sox are characterized as cheap SOB's after making the 5 yr/$70M offer that was declined, and then not making an arbitration offer, whereas the sCrUBS are characterized as cautious and wise for not going beyond 2 yrs / $X, an offer that was already shorter and lower than Detroit's offer already on the table.

SMO

Great point.

Dan H
02-07-2005, 03:59 PM

Break ups go two ways, that's all I know. I am not religious so I won't bring God into it, and the Sox had tried to get rid of Ordonez before he was hurt.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Break ups go two ways, that's all I know. I am not religious so I won't bring God into it, and the Sox had tried to get rid of Ordonez before he was hurt.

Wow. So the Sox have blame for trying to trade Magglio?

Are the Sox to blame for not offering him more money, too? How much love can you find inside $70 million, Dan?

Baby Fisk
02-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Nobody else has tried this, and I'm not sure I should even start since I'm at work with my lunch in front of me instead of the White Sox Encyclopedia.

I'll try to name 25 players better than Mags in White Sox history (in no particular order):

1- Frank Thomas
2- Shoeless Joe Jackson
3- Nellie Fox
4- Luis Aparacio
5- Carlton Fisk
6- Robin Ventura
7- Harold Baines
8- Minnie Minoso
9- Billy Pierce
10- Luke Appling
11- Ted Lyons
12- Dick Allen
13- Bill Melton
14- Jack McDowell
15- Gary Peters

16- Big Ed Walsh
17- Doc White

*runs away before PHG has another tirade about Skanklio Whordo˝ez*

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 04:20 PM
16- Big Ed Walsh
17- Doc White

*runs away before PHG has another tirade about Skanklio Whordo˝ez*

Hell you do better than that. Crack open the White Sox Encyclopedia to nearly any page and find another name.

Baby Fisk
02-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Hell you do better than that. Crack open the White Sox Encyclopedia to nearly any page and find another name.
It opened to the page that has Ron Santo! Dammit! *skulks away*

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 04:25 PM
It opened to the page that has Ron Santo! God dammit! *skulks away*

Santo didn't start bad-mouthing the Sox till after his pizza business went south. Strangely, the Cubune next offered him a broadcasting job.

longshot7
02-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Magglio definitely belongs in the Top 25 player list for his stats. However, these aside, what he did in the Trib was totally bush league. Ripping on KW for his remarks on his knee (which I didn't think were that bad to begin with) - how did the Sox know it wasn't still damaged if they weren't allowed to have their doctors check him out?

MrRoboto83
02-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Magglio definitely belongs in the Top 25 player list for his stats. However, these aside, what he did in the Trib was totally bush league. Ripping on KW for his remarks on his knee (which I didn't think were that bad to begin with) - how did the Sox know it wasn't still damaged if they weren't allowed to have their doctors check him out?

KW would of gotten ripped if he signed Maggs by the cubune, you can't win:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
02-07-2005, 04:53 PM
I wrote a "sound off" column called "Suckers For Magglio"
this week.It should tell everyone my feelings on this situation.:angry:

voodoochile
02-07-2005, 05:06 PM

1- Frank Thomas
2- Shoeless Joe Jackson
3- Nellie Fox
4- Luis Aparacio
5- Carlton Fisk
6- Robin Ventura
7- Harold Baines
8- Minnie Minoso
9- Billy Pierce
10- Luke Appling
11- Ted Lyons
12- Dick Allen
13- Bill Melton
14- Jack McDowell
15- Gary Peters

How about you just name 3 better OF and call it a day...

MrRoboto83
02-07-2005, 05:26 PM
perhaps if we did O-E-Oh-KONERKO, would send a message to maggs that we have moved on

Hangar18
02-07-2005, 06:18 PM

SMO

Now you know why I hate the Chicago Media.

JUribe1989
02-07-2005, 06:41 PM
perhaps if we did O-E-Oh-KONERKO, would send a message to maggs that we have moved on

How about O-E-O Ta-da-hito

JackParkman
02-07-2005, 07:22 PM
How about O-E-O Ta-da-hito

Or, O-E-0, Maggs, you blow.

JUribe1989
02-07-2005, 07:24 PM
:kneeslap::rolling: :roflmao: Or, O-E-0, Maggs, you blow.

flo-B-flo
02-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Or, O-E-0, Maggs, you blow.LOL!:roflmao:

balke
02-07-2005, 08:00 PM
I hate maggs. I'm deciding whether I want to chant "Seeeellloouut", "You sold out!" "boooo *expletives* more booing" or "Break a leg."

I won't be silent. He was holding out for 15-16 mil a year, threatened going to the Cubs forever, and turned down the same exact contract he got in the end (to play for a division rival no less). Silence won't express my "gratitude" for all he's done for us.

Probably can't throw tomatoes eh?

voodoochile
02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Instead of oh-ee-oh...

it could become

Ow-knee-ow.

JUribe1989
02-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Instead of oh-ee-oh...

it could become

Ow-knee-ow.

We gotta rub this in so much when he comes to The Cell. I hope everyone boos him. He completely deserves it. He's gonna be out half the season and Herm Schneider will be proven right again. The Sox doctors obviously thought something was seriously wrong with him. And if he was on steroids then their will be significant fall-offs for him and Pudge.

gf2020
02-08-2005, 02:39 AM
Seeing this contract, I have to wonder whether there was actually a chance that Mags would have declined arbitration if the Sox had offered it, so we could have gotten the draft picks. Everybody (myself included) assumed he would have accepted the offer because of his condition, but maybe he wouldn't have if he could get a deal like this.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Seeing this contract, I have to wonder whether there was actually a chance that Mags would have declined arbitration if the Sox had offered it, so we could have gotten the draft picks. Everybody (myself included) assumed he would have accepted the offer because of his condition, but maybe he wouldn't have if he could get a deal like this.

I think you answered your own question. Look at the calendar. Maggs didn't get a deal "like this" until two full months had passed.

Magglio, Magglio, and Maggliana were sweating bullets. Especially Magglio. The first one.

mantis1212
02-08-2005, 08:55 AM
I think you answered your own question. Look at the calendar. Maggs didn't get a deal "like this" until two full months had passed.

Magglio, Magglio, and Maggliana were sweating bullets. Especially Magglio. The first one.

I just heard from Tom Shaer on AM 1000 that according to Maggs and his agent, he is only 75%-80% right now and was only cleared to play baseball a couple weeks ago.

The only workout the Tigers have seen are some running drills in front of Alan Trammel.

This contract is the dumbest by any team I've ever seen.

Mickster
02-08-2005, 09:01 AM
I just heard from Tom Shaer on AM 1000 that according to Maggs and his agent, he is only 75%-80% right now and was only cleared to play baseball a couple weeks ago.

The only workout the Tigers have seen are some running drills in front of Alan Trammel.

This contract is the dumbest by any team I've ever seen.

Just heard the same thing. The Tiggers were bamboozled by Boras!

Brian26
02-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Just heard the same thing. The Tiggers were bamboozled by Boras!

THAT was the physical? I read in the Trib that Mags passed a physical on Sunday with a doctor.

Tekijawa
02-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Instead of booing I've actually just decided to egg his Chebby Truck that he and his wife seem to be so fond of in the commercial! :redneck

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 12:08 PM
THAT was the physical? I read in the Trib that Mags passed a physical on Sunday with a doctor.

Given his condition, the only really effective exam would involve some type of imaging scan, a strenuous workout, and a followup to see what impact the workout had on his knee a day or 2 later.

More likely Boras provided some records, then the doc conducted an external "does it hurt when I do this" type of exam along with maybe a light treadmill-type of workout.

If Maggs could get through a major workout with followup, don't you think he'd have conducted one to increase interest? I mean if no one else wanted to go past 2 years then if it were me, I'd be out running a marathon and then offering my knee up for scans & exams to prove it's healthy and get more $$$.

Ol' No. 2
02-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Given his condition, the only really effective exam would involve some type of imaging scan, a strenuous workout, and a followup to see what impact the workout had on his knee a day or 2 later.

More likely Boras provided some records, then the doc conducted an external "does it hurt when I do this" type of exam along with maybe a light treadmill-type of workout.

If Maggs could get through a major workout with followup, don't you think he'd have conducted one to increase interest? I mean if no one else wanted to go past 2 years then if it were me, I'd be out running a marathon and then offering my knee up for scans & exams to prove it's healthy and get more $$$.Even if it was a strenuous workout, it's still only one workout. What's going to happen when he runs on it day after day for 162 games?

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Even if it was a strenuous workout, it's still only one workout. What's going to happen when he runs on it day after day for 162 games?

I'd have to assume that you could glean something about the recuperative power of the knee with some sort of followup. You'd then have to extrapolate to a day-to-day pounding.

Regardless, it boggles the mind that the Tigers would agree to that sort of contract without a much more strenuous and detailed workout than has been reported. At least it does until you consider their history of FA signings.

Ol' No. 2
02-08-2005, 12:33 PM
I'd have to assume that you could glean something about the recuperative power of the knee with some sort of followup. You'd then have to extrapolate to a day-to-day pounding.

Regardless, it boggles the mind that the Tigers would agree to that sort of contract without a much more strenuous and detailed workout than has been reported. At least it does until you consider their history of FA signings.I sure wouldn't feel too comfortable extrapolating to a 162 game season from one workout. Dumbrowski and Illitch apparently feel they have to take a big risk. They've sure done that.

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 12:40 PM
I sure wouldn't feel too comfortable extrapolating to a 162 game season from one workout. Dumbrowski and Illitch apparently feel they have to take a big risk. They've sure done that.

Well, thay've got that ironclad out, so it's a pretty good risk......

Ol' No. 2
02-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Well, thay've got that ironclad out, so it's a pretty good risk......Do I smell a dead pool coming?

gosox41
02-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Even if it was a strenuous workout, it's still only one workout. What's going to happen when he runs on it day after day for 162 games?

The Tigers will be quoting from 'Pulp Fiction' (but in a much different context): "Bring out the Gimp."

Bob

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 02:41 PM
The Tigers will be quoting from 'Pulp Fiction' (but in a much different context): "Bring out the Gimp."

Bob

Segue to the thread about what should be played at USCF when Maggs bats.....

Flight #24
02-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I sure wouldn't feel too comfortable extrapolating to a 162 game season from one workout. Dumbrowski and Illitch apparently feel they have to take a big risk. They've sure done that.

Well, the latest report is that in true agent publicity form, the reported $6mil signing bonus is actualy only payable in november. Which means that since the contract can be voided immediately following the season, Maggs is guaranteed a whopping $6mil.

Which gives him a $69mil incentive to gimp his way through the season with the assistance of painkillers, etc. Anything to avoid the DL days until there are only 24games left in the season. And this from a guy who came back early to try and make his contract year worth something, then lied about his condition to anyone & everyone all offseason.

maurice
02-08-2005, 04:22 PM
LMAO! Let me get this straight. He turned down $60MM-$75MM in guaranteed (albeit partially deferred) money from the Sox to accept $6MM guaranteed + many millions "in the bush" from the Tigers . . . but Couch and the other Maggs-lickers think the Sox cheaped out, didn't make a serious offer, never intended to resign him, etc.?!?

Interesting. If he's not ready until June, perhaps the Tigers can immediately void the contract and stop paying the rest of his $6MM salary for 2005.

Risk
02-08-2005, 04:28 PM
LMAO! Let me get this straight. He turned down $60MM-$75MM in guaranteed (albeit partially deferred) money from the Sox to accept $6MM guaranteed + many millions "in the bush" from the Tigers . . . but Couch and the other Maggs-lickers think the Sox cheaped out, didn't make a serious offer, never intended to resign him, etc.?!?

Interesting. If he's not ready until June, perhaps the Tigers can immediately void the contract and stop paying the rest of his $6MM salary for 2005.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Wow, talk about mind-numbing logic on behalf of Magglio's media whores.

By the way, I hope this acts a sign to all never to follow any financial advice from ole moneybaggs.

Risk

spawn
02-08-2005, 04:35 PM

Obviously Counch didn't do his homework. I was argiung with a Tigger fan about Couch's article on another site. He brought up the Chicago Media, and how he believes what Couch wrote. Yet Phil Roger's article is downplayed as being written by a hack. I should just let the Tigger fans enjoy the moment. They won't have many more.:o:

chaz171
02-08-2005, 04:36 PM
The only reason maggs didn't send in his physical to the Sox was because he was so underpaid all these years here in Chicago, He couldn't afford his COBRA payments when the Sox declined his arbitration.

Perhaps when Career DH Magglio Ordonez's opt out is exercized in Mid-May this year, Mike Illich can get maggs a job with his other company.....

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/MAGGLI-O-METER1.JPG"Thanks for Calling little caesar's my name is magglio, would you like to try our two topping two pizza special?"

http://www.gr-littlecaesars.com/graphics/coming.gif