PDA

View Full Version : Sportsline/AP garbage on Maggs Signing

JoseCanseco6969
02-06-2005, 10:42 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8167220

What horse ****!
"Ordonez made $14 million last year and the White Sox made no effort to re-sign him."

Yeah I guess the offers we made to him prior to the injury were just figments of my imagination. I just dont understand how the press gets away with such garbage.

Iguana775
02-06-2005, 11:08 AM
that would require them to do research. that's too much work for them.

DrCrawdad
02-06-2005, 11:25 AM
If you want to make yourself vomit read Greg Couch's column in today's Sun-Times. (There is a thread on the column in the Clubhouse.)

RKMeibalane
02-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Bob Knight is fond of saying that "we learn to write in the second grade, and then most of us go on to greater things." When I read excerpts of garbage like that one, I can understand why Coach Knight feels the way he does about reporters, journalists, and other media officials.

samram
02-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Bob Knight is fond of saying that "we learn to write in the second grade, and then most of us go on to greater things." When I read excerpts of garbage like that one, I can understand why Coach Knight feels the way he does about reporters, journalists, and other media officials.

That's probably the only thing on which Knight and I would agree. It's hardly worth reading anything from major sports media. Whether it's Couch, Neyer, Mariotti, AP sources, research seems to be optional and facts aren't allowed to get in the way of a story. I heard a guy on Sporting News Radio last weekend talking about the Maggs situation. He said Maggs could sign with the Cubs to stick it to the Sox, who, according to this guy, had left him on the roadside after the injury.

So, the question I asked myself was whether sports reporters are too willing to take agents' words for whatever they are saying, are too lazy to do analysis of a situation, or not intelligent enough to see what's really happening. It's probably a combination of the three. Look at what happened with Culpepper a few days ago.

SOXintheBURGH
02-06-2005, 02:39 PM

Was that before or after he compared said field of work to prostitution?

Mohoney
02-07-2005, 12:00 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8167220

What horse ****!
"Ordonez made $14 million last year and the White Sox made no effort to re-sign him."

Yeah I guess the offers we made to him prior to the injury were just figments of my imagination. I just dont understand how the press gets away with such garbage.

Canseco, just take Gary Coleman's words to heart:

:whocares

The best way to deal with the stupidity permeating through sports journalism is to ignore it.

I know a lot of people (Hangar, for starters) feel the same way you do, and I used to as well. Then I just started ignoring the crap. I mean, if it smells like crap, looks like crap, sounds like crap, or reads like crap, then odds are it's crap.

If sportsblab on 670 or 1000 sucks, then don't listen. If the Cubune or the Cub-Times want to anoint Ryan Dempster as a 40+ save closer in the making, boast that Glendon Rusch is the best 5th starter since the advent of the 5 man rotation, and pretend that Fontenot and Crouthers are the 2nd and 3rd comings of Jesus Christ, then don't read it.

Most importantly, if the national media wants to print boldfaced lies without even resembling anything that can be thought of as proper research to back their story, ignore them.

Do what I have done. Come to WSI for intelligent White Sox and baseball conversation, and put more stock in what the posters here have to say than hoping against hope that you will get knowledgable opinions from any of these garbage sources.