PDA

View Full Version : Rogers: Francisco Campos?

DrCrawdad
02-06-2005, 01:42 AM
What are some of the opinions here on Francisco Campos? Will Campos be with the Sox this spring? Any chance he'll make the team or be sent to Charlotte?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2003-05/7622751.jpg
Phil Rogers

WHISPERS
While 32-year-old Francisco Campos has been the best pitcher in winter ball this season, most recently throwing eight shutout innings for host Mexico against Venezuela in the opener of the Caribbean World Series, he wasn't among the White Sox's non-roster invitations to spring training. He spent almost all of last season on loan to Campeche, where he won a Mexican League MVP award for going 12-2 with a 1.47 ERA but is due a long look with the Sox. He could be valuable as a No. 6 starter even if he couldn't displace Jon Garland.

Jabroni
02-06-2005, 03:09 AM
Campos' career stats:
http://sports-wired.com/profiles/CA/tbc21474.asp

DrGiggles
02-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Campos was not invited to the spring training session this year even though he would be a great 6th starter if one our five went down.

veeter
02-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Bring the guy to spring training for gooddness sakes.

DrCrawdad
02-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Is Campos "property" of the White Sox this season?

tacosalbarojas
02-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Campos was not invited to the spring training session this year even though he would be a great 6th starter if one our five went down.
Yeah, Campos had buzz last year too (may have also been largely a Phil Rogers production, I can't recall) but never did much during the regular season that I can recall.

Ol' No. 2
02-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Bring the guy to spring training for gooddness sakes.Is there a limit to the number of players a team can bring to the major league spring training camp? They also run a minor league camp at the same time and at the same facility IIRC, and many players are sent there.

tacosalbarojas
02-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Is there a limit to the number of players a team can bring to the major league spring training camp? They also run a minor league camp at the same time and at the same facility IIRC, and many players are sent there.You're right on that. Hawk talks all the time about walking over to the minor league field to watch the prospects that haven't been invited to camp. Not sure what the rules and regs are about how many players you can have in big league camp. My last count showed 57 coming this spring. I remember Roger Angell doing a piece on the 1978 SOX camp and he talked specifically about the excessive number of players Veeck brought to camp that year.

Ol' No. 2
02-06-2005, 10:21 PM
You're right on that. Hawk talks all the time about walking over to the minor league field to watch the prospects that haven't been invited to camp. Not sure what the rules and regs are about how many players you can have in big league camp. My last count showed 57 coming this spring. I remember Roger Angell doing a piece on the 1978 SOX camp and he talked specifically about the excessive number of players Veeck brought to camp that year.It may just be a practical limit. You have only so many games and you have to find playing time for them. Too many players just means more guys sitting around on the bench. Guys like Campos might be better off in the minor league camp playing than sitting in the major league camp watching.

tacosalbarojas
02-06-2005, 10:26 PM
It may just be a practical limit. You have only so many games and you have to find playing time for them. Too many players just means more guys sitting around on the bench. Guys like Campos might be better off in the minor league camp playing than sitting in the major league camp watching.
Yeah, that makes sense. Especially since the guy obviously wasn't THAT good last year, or he would have been trotted out as the 26th fifth starter of 2004 (actually now that I think about it, we may have had to give him back to the Mexican League last year, so maybe that wasn't possible).

WhiteSoxFan84
02-07-2005, 12:41 AM
He sucks. Who cares what he does in Mexico. We don't have time to waste with another Felix Diaz. At least Diaz is young.

Chez
02-07-2005, 07:31 AM
I seem to recall that about this time last year, Phil Rogers was touting Arnie Munoz as "the next big thing."

JUribe1989
02-07-2005, 06:53 PM
I still think Munoz has a shot at being a decent major league pitcher. He had a 3.97 ERA as a reliever with 10 K's at the end of the season. When he came back up and we played the A's on September 2 he impressed me when he got the bases loaded with 1 out and got out of the jam. That was his first appearance since the Massacre in Montreal.

Mohoney
02-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Is there a limit to the number of players a team can bring to the major league spring training camp? They also run a minor league camp at the same time and at the same facility IIRC, and many players are sent there.

I think I have a solution. Get Chris Widger's name off the damn invite list.

Ol' No. 2
02-08-2005, 08:46 AM
I think I have a solution. Get Chris Widger's name off the damn invite list.I don't think Widger is going to pitch that many innings.:D:

soxfan43
02-08-2005, 12:46 PM
i saw a mexican league game on FSN the other day, he looked decent. though i couldnt understand what the announcers were saying about him

Sad
02-08-2005, 12:49 PM
maybe you should've used the SAP button :redneck