PDA

View Full Version : Let's have a thread about The Wave

WhiteSoxMvP88
02-06-2005, 02:07 AM
I remember people doing the wave at the cell toward the end of the season. I dont know how it would start , i just remember sitting in fan deck and watching the wave go around the park again and again, usually in later innings. Does anybody else remember? I remember one specific vs. clevland

BigEdWalsh
02-06-2005, 02:12 AM
I remember people doing the wave at the cell toward the end of the season. I dont know how it would start , i just remember sitting in fan deck and watching the wave go around the park again and again, usually in later innings. Does anybody else remember? I remember one specific vs. clevland

Probably it was Cleveland fans. No teal, I'm serious.

Cubbiesuck13
02-06-2005, 02:14 AM
I hate the wave almost as much as I hate Flub fans.

Nellie_Fox
02-06-2005, 02:20 AM
I remember people doing the wave at the cell toward the end of the season. I dont know how it would start , i just remember sitting in fan deck and watching the wave go around the park again and again, usually in later innings. Does anybody else remember? I remember one specific vs. clevlandAnd this is important...why?

WhiteSoxMvP88
02-06-2005, 02:22 AM
And this is important...why?

idk, i just wanted to see if anyone had been to games where it happened

Nellie_Fox
02-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Most of us hate the wave, and certainly don't have fond memories of games where it happened.

NonetheLoaiza
02-06-2005, 02:39 AM
being a part of the wave is like saying...i dont care what the score is or who is playing as long as i can stand up and down every 2 minutes.

jake27
02-06-2005, 02:41 AM
being a part of the wave is like saying...i dont care what the score is or who is playing as long as i can stand up and down every 2 minutes.

thats exactly what i say. i HATE the wave. the fans tried to do it tonight at a hockey game i went to, and i can happily say to no success :cool:

Chisox_cali
02-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Man some people here have the strongest opinions on the strangest things.

Did you ever think it might be something fun that little kids like to do? And adults do it to please their kids. That and all the bitching about the FUNdementals area are some of these "strange things"

I really hope that 5 and 6 years old Sox fans aren't as angry and depressed about the team as half the people on this board.

jake27
02-06-2005, 03:20 AM
thats fine if the kids want to do it, but there are more adults doing it than kids. it just annoys me how the loudest screaming and cheering during the game comes everytime the wave makes it all the way around. and not to count out people standing up every few minutes and blocking your view. thats just what i think tho.

NSSoxFan
02-06-2005, 03:26 AM
The Wave = Fan Boredom. The few times I have seen it done at Comiskey were sad times. The only wave I was proud being a part of was at the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

Nellie_Fox
02-06-2005, 03:35 AM

Did you ever think it might be something fun that little kids like to do? And adults do it to please their kids.People who do the wave have to pay attention to the wave instead of to the game.

I'm watching what's going on on the field, not in the stands.

Cubbiesuck13
02-06-2005, 05:07 AM
I really hope that 5 and 6 years old Sox fans aren't as angry and depressed about the team as half the people on this board.

:reinsy
They will be if I have anything to do it.

bmac5001
02-06-2005, 05:19 AM
didn't realize there was a wave hate group. i'm pretty indifferent to it, myself. it's fine if you don't like it, but surely there are more important things to worry about...

Cubbiesuck13
02-06-2005, 05:23 AM
It's not an anti-wave group so much as a pro-pay attention group. I hate the wave because it could be the 7th inning with two men on and 1 out, Frank batting and the wave starts. It's happend before.

Chrisaway
02-06-2005, 05:46 AM
I havent seen a "wave" at the cell since the early 90's.

Cubbiesuck13
02-06-2005, 06:14 AM
I havent seen a "wave" at the cell since the early 90's.

I'm sorry to say it has occured in the 00's.

cubhater
02-06-2005, 07:46 AM
When the wave started in the early 90s, my friends and I in the lower rows of sections 158 and 159 would turn around and encourage everyone to sit down when it reached us. Only a couple fans stood up on the first wave. They realized they were the only ones doing it and sat down on the following waves.

It was funny watching the wave die when it reached us. Too bad we didn't have any influence throughout the rest of the park.:D:

DrGiggles
02-06-2005, 09:39 AM
You have to admit, the wave was fun when we were 4 or 5.

SOXSINCE'70
02-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Most of us hate the wave, and certainly don't have fond memories of games where it happened.

True Sox fans actually pay attention to what's happening on
the field.They have no time for "the wave".My friend and I
used to scream at "wavers" in our section as they tended
to execute their move just as something crucial happened
in the game.:angry: :(: :angry:

jdm2662
02-06-2005, 10:25 AM
I hate the wave. I'm there to watch the game, and that's what I want to do.
________
WHITE WIDOW SEEDS (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

JoseCanseco6969
02-06-2005, 10:30 AM

THE WAVE SUCKS!!! It must be stopped at all costs!!!!!

JoseCanseco6969
02-06-2005, 10:31 AM

Yes I try to block out the horror that is the wave. I probably saw 3 or 4 of them last season.

BRDSR
02-06-2005, 12:02 PM
didn't realize there was a wave hate group. i'm pretty indifferent to it, myself. it's fine if you don't like it, but surely there are more important things to worry about...

I can confidently say that I have nothing more important to worry about than the wave at US Cellular Field.

No, just kidding. I haven't heard a lot of negative talk about the FUNdamentals area on this board. I think it seems pretty cool and I would look forward to bringing my little nephew or little cousin over there sometime during the season. The wave, on the other hand, is an embarrassment. Why don't we all just hold up a huge sign that tells the home team that we're really not that interested in the game. I won't be the one screaming and hollering for everyone to sit down when the wave starts, but I will calmly and collectively explain to my newphew or little cousin whats going on on the field and try to keep their attention off the wave.

Gosox1917
02-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I've seen it once last year at the Cell in a game against the Royals back in August. I understand where people are coming from when they say they hate the wave and pay attention to the game instead of something going on in the stands. But for me, when the Kansas City Royals are batting and we have Garland pitching, and we're up by 5 runs, I think I'll enjoy myself a good wave:D: . After the second time around though, it's time to get back to the game. I say it's ok as long as we're up by a good margin. If it's tied or close, let me watch the game.

kittle42
02-06-2005, 02:16 PM

Did you ever think it might be something fun that little kids like to do? And adults do it to please their kids. That and all the bitching about the FUNdementals area are some of these "strange things"

Just the response I would expect from someone in California re: the wave! :smile:

JGarlandrules20
02-06-2005, 02:23 PM
I went to the September 18th game, which was the game there was 4 2run hrs in one inning--the game Aaron won it with an infield single.

Fans started the wave while the score was tied. It lasted for quite some time.

The score was tied.:(:

Fake Chet Lemon
02-06-2005, 02:45 PM
The wave was done numerous times last year. It seemed Saturday night firework crowds were the worst abusers. Must be a lot of people there for the fireworks and not real baseball people. To do it late in a close game with the Sox at bat, just ridiculous.

Fenway
02-06-2005, 02:53 PM
They have been doing the wave at Fenway Park for nearly 20 years I hate it. It always starts in the bleachers.....

Fourth Inning It is time for the wave. One guy takes it upon
himself to be the Official Wave Conductor. He stands up and
implores the crowd to wave. We ignore him at first, but in no
time the wave spreads throughout the bleachers. Alas, it soon
dies out amongst the "lame people" on the first base line.
Everyone in the bleachers, Yankee and Red Sox fans alike, then
join together in a moment of unity to boo the lame people.

Meanwhile, on the field the two teams seem to be playing a
baseball game.

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6174/jokes/night-fenway.htm

Then there is the Sweet Caroline sing along :?:

batmanZoSo
02-06-2005, 02:59 PM

I have a solution for that (and it happened almost every game I went to last year). Just stand up and give two middle fingers to the direction it's coming from.

Chisox_cali
02-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Just the response I would expect from someone in California re: the wave! :smile:

Well in regards to the wave at games, I don't really do them mainly because I'm to lazy to get out of my seat, though I have that probably no matter where I'm sitting at home or the game. But I don't care if people do it. It's not that big of a deal. However someone wants to enjoy there game is fine by me. I'm not gonna persecute someone for doing the friggin' wave.

And as far as being from California, as you could tell from the comment about getting out of my seat from above, I'm not much of a surfer, that is to say I'm not a surfer at all. Or a beach person, I don't get the obession with the beach. If you've ever seen the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm called "The Thong" Larry David has the same opinion about the beach as I do.

Nick@Nite
02-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Fourth Inning It is time for the wave. One guy takes it upon
himself to be the Official Wave Conductor.
Rherorical question: Why does everyone want to be a star?
Then there is the Sweet Caroline sing along :?:
The love affair between the Fenway Faithful and Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline is one of the world's biggest unsolved mysteries.

chisoxmike
02-06-2005, 10:38 PM
I was at SEVERAL games last season where the game was tied in the ninth inning with THE SOX BATTING and the wave being started. Please people.

KEEP THE WAVE OUT OF THE CELL!

soxwon
02-06-2005, 11:17 PM
i remember one friday night i believe elvis night, they did it.

NSSoxFan
02-06-2005, 11:22 PM
I was at SEVERAL games last season where the game was tied in the ninth inning with THE SOX BATTING and the wave being started. Please people.

KEEP THE WAVE OUT OF THE CELL!

KEEP IT OUT, WAY OUT!

Vestigio
02-07-2005, 12:33 AM
The Wave = Fan Boredom. The few times I have seen it done at Comiskey were sad times. The only wave I was proud being a part of was at the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

How true. I remember a few years ago, the Sox were loosing somewhere around 5 to 6 runs in the 5th inning, and people started doing the wave. But the thing that annoyed me the most was that the wave continued throughout the rest of the game.:angry:

ChiSoxRowand
02-08-2005, 12:06 PM
I can't stand the wave. I was at the Sox-Mariners game labor day weekend last year (the one where Ichiro went 5-5 and the crowd gave him a standing 0) and there was a wave in the late innings while the Sox were up by a few runs. It was a fireworks night.

OurBitchinMinny
02-09-2005, 12:25 AM

I was at comiskey last summer for a game against teh A's and I saw two things that almost made me vomit. A HR ball was thrown back on the field and there were multiple waves started. Come on this isnt the north side. Waves and throwing the ball back on the field should be grounds for dismissal from comiskey park

shoota
02-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Two seasons ago, Comiskey was PACKED, and the Sox were up BIG. I was in the bleachers (where the real fans sit) and a wave started in the lower level. After a few times around the park, the upper deck fans got involved, but started their wave in the opposite direction of the LL wave. I have to admit, watching competing waves was a neat site for the eyes.

JKryl
02-09-2005, 03:26 PM
I hate the wave almost as much as I hate Flub fans.

Anyone caught doing the wave in public should be carried out of the stadium on a rail.

JKryl
02-09-2005, 03:29 PM
i remember one friday night i believe elvis night, they did it.

I was there behind them, if they hadn't stopped selling beer, I would have been tempted to commence target practice.

Nellie_Fox
02-10-2005, 12:08 AM
I have to admit, watching competing waves was a neat sight for the eyes.No. No, it wasn't. Just stop it.

TheBull19
02-11-2005, 02:08 PM
The last year at Old Comiskey, we split season tickets in the Nancy Faust section in the upper deck, just on the 3b side of home plate. Man, those were great seats and I have to say the fans in that section had to have been the greatest Sox fans ever, I never had as much fun as a sox fan in my life. That year the sox had a rejuvanation as you probably remember, but it seemed to cause the wave to surface on the South Side. The fans in this section would have none of it, though, and by mid-season a few were bringing signs with a picture of a wave crossed out, and most were yelling at wave starters to go to Wrigley. Wondering if anyone on this site had seats in that section that year?

Chisox_cali
02-11-2005, 03:21 PM
No. No, it wasn't. Just stop it.

Jeez, just let the guy have his opinion...

OurBitchinMinny
02-11-2005, 03:59 PM

I agree with him. The wave, however "neat" one may think it is has no place at comiskey

Nellie_Fox
02-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Jeez, just let the guy have his opinion...I cannot, in good conscience, be silent in the presence of such an abomination.

Ol' No. 2
02-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Remember, these guys http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/05/sprj.caf03.film.keanureeves.ap/story.bill.ted.ap.jpg think the wave is cool.

Chisox_cali
02-12-2005, 06:41 PM
I cannot, in good conscience, be silent in the presence of such an abomination.

Okay, it's "the wave" not the freaking holocaust. No need to be over-dramatic.

SOXintheBURGH
02-12-2005, 08:07 PM
My only comment on the wave comes from going to a game against Baltimore in 1996. The crowd started doing the wave about 8 sections over and my dad said to my friend and I, "Don't stand up. The wave is a national league thing." Never did the wave again.

batmanZoSo
02-12-2005, 08:11 PM
What ticks me off is that every time they start it, it seems that the Sox are losing badly at the time. And it's always some group of idiot college guys who've had way too much to drink.

Hey, we're losing, but we don't care, let's embarrass ourselves and the entire fan base anyway! :redneck

Nellie_Fox
02-13-2005, 02:25 AM
Okay, it's "the wave" not the freaking holocaust. No need to be over-dramatic.It's a joke son, I say a joke. (to be read using Foghorn Leghorn's voice.)

shoota
02-13-2005, 03:22 AM

Thanks bud. I didn't even say I participated in the wave, and I received a tsunami of a response. :wink:

To Nellie and the rest of the pro-wave crowd: I am a young Sox fan who doesn't know the history of the wave. I am also anti-North Side and don't want to do anything to bring down the reputation of Sox fans. I'd like to hear the reasons why Sox fans are against the wave.

Cubbiesuck13
02-13-2005, 03:31 AM
Thanks bud. I didn't even say I participated in the wave, and I received a tsunami of a response. :wink:

To Nellie and the rest of the pro-wave crowd: I am a young Sox fan who doesn't know the history of the wave. I am also anti-North Side and don't want to do anything to bring down the reputation of Sox fans. I'd like to hear the reasons why Sox fans are against the wave.

The reasons are there. 1. It shows a lack of interest in the ball game 2. It shows a short attention span (resembling the fans of the other team) 3. Gets in the way of the people who are acually trying to pay attention to more aspects of the game than the homer 4. Gets the kids, who are just starting to attend games, off on a bad start. Teaches them that it is ok to act like the game isn't the center of focus.

am a missing any?

Chisox_cali
02-13-2005, 05:44 AM
It's a joke son, I say a joke. (to be read using Foghorn Leghorn's voice.)

:tealpolice:

That would have made it a little clearer :D:

shoota
02-28-2005, 09:50 PM
The reasons are there. 1. It shows a lack of interest in the ball game 2. It shows a short attention span (resembling the fans of the other team) 3. Gets in the way of the people who are acually trying to pay attention to more aspects of the game than the homer 4. Gets the kids, who are just starting to attend games, off on a bad start. Teaches them that it is ok to act like the game isn't the center of focus.

am a missing any?

Okay, I think I was aware of those reasons, I just thought that there was some history I wasn't aware of where the Cubs started it or somehow was linked directly to the Cubs. For instance, I heard the Cubs fans were the ones who started throwing opposition home run balls back onto the field. And IIRC, the Sox were the team that started the Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye song in baseball.

StillMissOzzie
03-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Sheeesh. Only 35 more days...

SMO
:gulp: