PDA

View Full Version : all time best sox announcer

idseer
02-05-2005, 10:52 PM
personally i never heard anyone better than harry carey in his prime. he seemed to make the quiet moments interesting and the exciting moments incredible. his voice was just PERFECT for announcing baseball.

all the rest (for the sox only, mind you) are just so many wannabes.

OurBitchinMinny
02-05-2005, 10:55 PM
I like rooney the best, but Ive only heard him, carey (with the scrubs), and hawk

NSSoxFan
02-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Hawk gets my vote.

TornLabrum
02-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Harry Carey was a great western star in silent films but a damn poor play-by-play announcer. Harry Caray was far better.

idseer
02-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Harry Carey was a great western star in silent films but a damn poor play-by-play announcer. Harry Caray was far better.

at least i didn't do ... hairy carry! :D:

TornLabrum
02-05-2005, 11:37 PM
at least i didn't do ... hairy carry! :D:

Or worse still, Hara Kiri!

SpammySosa
02-05-2005, 11:40 PM
I always liked Don Drysdale. I don't know if I would call him the best,but he was definitely a favorite.

nccwsfan
02-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I always liked Don Drysdale. I don't know if I would call him the best,but he was definitely a favorite.

I used to enjoy the Drysdale/Hawk combo in the mid 80's. No rhyme or reason- it just sounded good at the time...Hawk & Wimpy were good too...

FedEx227
02-05-2005, 11:57 PM
DJ!

I mean...Rooney I enjoy him

StillMissOzzie
02-05-2005, 11:58 PM
I used to enjoy the Drysdale/Hawk combo in the mid 80's. No rhyme or reason- it just sounded good at the time...Hawk & Wimpy were good too...

I gotta admit, I don't remember Double D and Hawk together, but Double D was one of my all time favorites, especially when he talked about pitchers "filing stuff away in the memory banks for future use" (eg, when the time was right for somebody to get drilled). Hawk and Wimpy were also right up there near the top for me, too.

SMO
:gulp:

TommyJohn
02-06-2005, 12:39 AM

His son, Harry Carey, Jr. was a pretty good actor himself. I don't know if his
nickname was Skip, though.

BigEdWalsh
02-06-2005, 01:16 AM
I might be alone in this but....Bob Elson brings back really fond memories. The guy did Sox games for a loooong time.
Yeah, compared to modern announcers I guess you could say he was boring, but for the longest time, he was the man.

Nellie_Fox
02-06-2005, 02:29 AM
I might be alone in this but....Bob Elson brings back really fond memories. The guy did Sox games for a loooong time.
Yeah, compared to modern announcers I guess you could say he was boring, but for the longest time, he was the man.He was the man, and he was incredibly boring. A feature of an Elson broadcast was what seemed like minutes of him saying nothing, and your radio just hissing with the murmur of the crowd in the background.

I can't tell you how many nights I fell asleep listening to my six-transistor radio with the earplug, tuned to WCFL and a Sox night game. Elson was better than any lullabye.

BigEdWalsh
02-06-2005, 02:48 AM
I can't tell you how many nights I fell asleep listening to my six-transistor radio with the earplug, tuned to WCFL and a Sox night game. Elson was better than any lullabye.

You and me both! For some reason, I guess it's just yearning for the innocence of youth, that's a great and fond memory.

Cubbiesuck13
02-06-2005, 04:42 AM
I liked Hawk and Wimpy, although I never listened to any other. I really like it when Hawk says "Sacks pact with Sox" and I am going to really like it when he says "Good spead aboard" over and over again this year.

DrGiggles
02-06-2005, 09:42 AM
I vote Hawk for president.

Dan H
02-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Yeah, compared to modern announcers I guess you could say he was boring, but for the longest time, he was the man.

You are not alone. Yes, Bob Elson could be as bland as bland could be. But I liked him because he did his best to keep a fan's attention on the team not on the announcer. Carey was great, especially during the mid '70's, but I tired of his constant self-promotion. Elson was a class act. However, by the late '60's time had passed him by. The Cubs were starting to become popular and the Sox needed someone to sell the club. Elson was not the man to do that. Yet, there wasn't a malicious bone in his body. He was one of the greatest even if he wasn't the flashiest.

Maximo
02-06-2005, 10:10 AM
You are not alone. Yes, Bob Elson could be as bland as bland could be. But I liked him because he did his best to keep a fan's attention on the team not on the announcer. Carey was great, especially during the mid '70's, but I tired of his constant self-promotion. Elson was a class act. However, by the late '60's time had passed him by. The Cubs were starting to become popular and the Sox needed someone to sell the club. Elson was not the man to do that. Yet, there wasn't a malicious bone in his body. He was one of the greatest even if he wasn't the flashiest.

Well said.

TornLabrum
02-06-2005, 10:15 AM
My first exposure to baseball was through Jack Brickhouse, and as they say, your first love always stays with you. He was a terrific play-by-play guy. When the Sox went to Channel 32 (back when no one could get UHF) and hired Jack Drees, they began their long slide towards Cubs dominance in the city. Brickhouse is as much a reason as anything that I'm both a baseball fan and a Sox fan (and I'm glad that I once had the opportunity to tell him so).

Harry Caray revitalized my love of the Sox when he came over from Oakland. The Sox have never had a better tandem in the booth than Harry and Jimmy Piersall, although Hawk and Wimpy came close.

We used to make fun of Elson ("Mantle stands at the plate with a big number 7 on the back of his white pinstriped uniform"), but he had a way of keeping you riveted to the game by painting a picture of the action ("A swiiiiinnnnngggg...andamiss"). We'd have fun after the transistor radio came out of turning the sound down on the TV and listening to Elson's play-by-play to see how far behind in the count he'd get as he told some story or promoted some nightclub. Once he was three pitches behind but managed to catch up accurately once he was done with his story.

wassagstdu
02-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Definitely Bob Elson. Come to think of it, I am not sure I would be a baseball fan today if I hadn't listened to so many Sox broadcasts by Elson.

Harry Caray was the best Cardinals announcer.

JoseCanseco6969
02-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Hawk hands down! Helluva a guy too

:hawk
"I Luvv crab cakes"

Paulwny
02-06-2005, 10:33 AM
He was the man, and he was incredibly boring. A feature of an Elson broadcast was what seemed like minutes of him saying nothing, and your radio just hissing with the murmur of the crowd in the background.

Glad to see I wasn't alone in falling asleep listening to Elson but, as Big Ed Walsh said he brings back fond memories.

nebraskasox
02-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Glad to see I wasn't alone in falling asleep listening to Elson but, as Big Ed Walsh said he brings back fond memories.

Count me in this group too. I put the transistor radio under my pillow and often couldn't fall asleep until the last out was made. Brickhouse did the TV broadcasts and I always liked him (hey hey - bombs away!). When I was sick with pneumonia I practically memorized the Jack Brickhouse book of baseball records. It seemed like Stan Musial's name was on every page.

Harry Caray brought a lot of excitement (tra la, tra la, the White Sox are coming!) and seemed like a real fan of the game and the Sox. Drysdale added an analytical element for the students of the game.

When I first heard Hawk, I thought "who is this guy?" with his country bumpkin, homespun phrases and nicknames for every player (the Commander, Officer Karko, can o' corn for One Dog, etc). I thought that if you weren't a Sox fan already, you'd have no idea who or what this guy was talking about. I wondered if he was an embarrasment to the more "professional" sounding broadcasters. But, over time, he grew on me and now I love the guy and relish his "hawkisms". I miss Wimpy though who seemed like the ideal sidekick.

michned
02-06-2005, 11:15 AM
My first exposure to baseball was through Jack Brickhouse...

I've always wondered something about Brickhouse: I was too young to hear him do Sox games, but my father always said that he was not as excited doing Sox games as he was doing Cubs games. Did he give a "Hey, Hey!" to Sox home runs? Through some of the audio I've heard from the era, and some kinescope footage of Joel Horlen's no hitter, he sounded every bit as excited announcing the Sox, something that would be expected from a true pro like him.

On second thought, I don't want to disrespect the memory of my father, he may have not said he didn't do "Hey, Hey!" calls for the Sox (could have been me as a 6-year-old assuming that's what he said) but I distinctly remember him saying he wasn't as excited doing Sox games.

Ed

nebraskasox
02-06-2005, 11:26 AM
I've always wondered something about Brickhouse: I was too young to hear him do Sox games, but my father always said that he was not as excited doing Sox games as he was doing Cubs games. Did he give a "Hey, Hey!" to Sox home runs? Through some of the audio I've heard from the era, and some kinescope footage of Joel Horlen's no hitter, he sounded every bit as excited announcing the Sox, something that would be expected from a true pro like him.

On second thought, I don't want to disrespect the memory of my father, he may have not said he didn't do "Hey, Hey!" calls for the Sox (could have been me as a 6-year-old assuming that's what he said) but I distinctly remember him saying he wasn't as excited doing Sox games.

Ed

My memory is that when the Sox homered, Brickhouse would say "Hey Hey - Bombs Away!"

Realist
02-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Granted I'm just a young pup, but I found Harry and Jimmy to be absolutely magical and perfect for the White Sox. I really liked Hawk and Drysdale, but they seemed a little too sterile and "classy" for a blue collar team representing the Hog Butcher of the World. Hawk and Wimpy were much better representatives of our fan base, and that's definitely no knock on the late Mr. Drysdale.

For what it's worth, I've met and had drinks with Jack Brickhouse's widow, and when she found out that I was a Sox fan her face completely lit up and she told me that the Sox were Jack's true baseball love right up to his death. She told me that the Sox gave him his first really big break in broadcasting and he never forgot it.

BigEdWalsh
02-06-2005, 11:35 AM
For what it's worth, I've met and had drinks with Jack Brickhouse's widow, and when she found out that I was a Sox fan her face completely lit up and she told me that the Sox were Jack's true baseball love right up to his death. She told me that the Sox gave him his first really big break in broadcasting and he never forgot it.

Cool! I must admit that surprises me a bit. I liked Brickhouse and met him once, long after he had done Sox games. He was a very nice and humble guy. But, it always seemed to me that he enjoyed the Cubs games more. Maybe it was because they usually sucked and he was maybe trying to drum up interest.
:dunno:

All the Bob Elson love on this thread warms the cockles of my heart! :D:

duke of dorwood
02-06-2005, 11:47 AM

Thats a White Owl wallop and a box of White Owl Cigars

slavko
02-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Joe McConnell as a PBP man. Lorn Brown as a wellspring of White Sox lore. And Brickhouse a Sox fan? Ha ha. He was on the Cubs board of directors. He did become a Sox fan after he was put out to pasture before he wanted to go so that Milo could take over. That was the off-season Harry left the Sox and campaigned for the job that Milo was going to get and got it. That's when Jack became a Sox fan. Poor Milo had to endure a season with a man he hated. Mrs. Brickhouse was his second wife and probably became part of his life after his break from the Cubs.

yyz
02-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Ed Farmer is the reason I am a Sox fan.

Fenway
02-06-2005, 02:27 PM
"Nutrition makes me puke."

Jimmy Piersall

http://en.thinkexist.com/images/author/gif/images/5577106_1.jpg

I have has 2 runs in with Jimmy.

Once at Fenway Park we were doing an interview with him and we asked him about Pete Rose and Bart Giamatti. Jimmy's meds must have worn off as his eyes became the size of half dollars and he said on the air live... " That no good four eyed college ****** is a complete a******. He never played the f****** game so who the hell is he to pick on Pete Rose."

Then at 1060 W Addison I was walking behind the box seats wearing a Red Sox jacket. Jimmy sees me and grabs me and screams "How dare you wear that jacket, Tom Yawkey would spin in his grave if he saw an a******* like you wearing that jacket!" :o:

TornLabrum
02-06-2005, 03:13 PM

Ed

Not only did Brickhouse do "Hey, Hey!" but after the Monster was installed in centerfield, it was followed by "Bombs Away!" There was no difference in Brickhouse's call of a Cubs game vs. a Sox game.

TornLabrum
02-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Cool! I must admit that surprises me a bit. I liked Brickhouse and met him once, long after he had done Sox games. He was a very nice and humble guy. But, it always seemed to me that he enjoyed the Cubs games more. Maybe it was because they usually sucked and he was maybe trying to drum up interest.
:dunno:

All the Bob Elson love on this thread warms the cockles of my heart! :D:

In the words of Dean Martin, "I wouldn't want you to have cold cockles."

Sox-on-TV44
02-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Look at my signature and you'll see my answer!

Although,Hawk,Double D,and John Rooney were good in their own ways.

misty60481
02-06-2005, 03:23 PM
I remember in the late 40s listening to Bob Elson and the Sox really had some horrible teams then,, I heard that he was told to make the games more exciting and he told them to come up in the booth and see if they could find anything exciting about the team...I also remember him talking about the foul pop-up that landed in Mrs. Comiskeys box...
Harry & Jimmy were probably my all time favorites they were very good;;;;

idseer
02-06-2005, 03:32 PM
just to echo a few others here about elson. what i liked was he didn't try to make himself the star of his show ... which is the way it should be. he didn't babble about stuff no one cared about. it was just the game and that was fine with me. some have said he was boring but i think he just reflected the game. fact is, it can be boring sometimes. doesn't bother me.
golf (even as a player) can be boring. you spend a LOT of time just standing around. but i'm sure there are a lot of golphers here who play it anyway.

some announcers tho think there must be constant action, real or verbal, even when there isn't any. baseball is a limited action game and shouldn't be compared to basketball or hockey. it stands on it's own merits and i think elson understood this.

bigredrudy
02-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Des anyone remember when Elson said the Sox wanted to twist that Tigers tail or when he said the Sox were going to the Wigwam or when he called the Red Sox the beantown dudes or when he recreated the road games via Western Union.

BigFrankRetard
02-06-2005, 04:41 PM

Jimmy Piersall

Once at Fenway Park we were doing an interview with him and we asked him about Pete Rose and Bart Giamatti. Jimmy's meds must have worn off as his eyes became the size of half dollars and he said on the air live... " That no good four eyed college ****** is a complete a******. He never played the f****** game so who the hell is he to pick on Pete Rose."

Then at 1060 W Addison I was walking behind the box seats wearing a Red Sox jacket. Jimmy sees me and grabs me and screams "How dare you wear that jacket, Tom Yawkey would spin in his grave if he saw an a******* like you wearing that jacket!" :o:

Sounds like a hell of a guy. :kukoo:

bahn1225
02-06-2005, 05:16 PM
By the looks of this thread I think it's safe to say that the White Sox
have always been blessed with very good to great announcers.

I grew up with Elson. I dislike Caray for personal reasons.
Rooney & Farmer are the current gold standard
and Hawk has proven he can work with just about anyone and make it a good broadcast.

Steelrod
02-06-2005, 06:00 PM

and Hawk has proven he can work with just about anyone and make it a good broadcast.

Hawk and Wimpy were great. I don't know if Wimpy was the best, but he was for sure the most fun to listen to. Always seemed like he was having a great time.

markopat
02-06-2005, 09:08 PM

Jimmy Piersall

I thought Piersall was awesome...I enjoyed his commentary on WSCR as well!

:o:

HoustonAstros967
02-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Hawk gets my vote.

I agree he is very exciting! I like him a lot!

tebman
02-06-2005, 10:55 PM

I grew up with Elson and Brickhouse too, and yeah, Elson would put you to sleep. In between Elson and Caray were several (Red Rush, Tom Drees, etc.) who were mostly forgettable. Caray and Piersall were hilarious at their peak ('77 through '79 in my opinion), but yeah, Caray morphed into a self-promoting caricature and Piersall imploded.

I like Harrelson, but it seems that as he's aged he sounds more tired. If you get to hear a recording of him during the first couple of years he was with the Sox, he had more energy. Jackson is just another voice.

I really like Rooney and Farmer on the radio. They're knowledgable but don't take themselves too seriously (despite Farmer's tendency to drift off into guy-at-the-end-of-the-bar monologues during slow games). But I'm a sucker for baseball on the radio anyway.

- tebman

Church Turtle
02-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Harry Carey was a great western star in silent films...

I knew someone would catch that. I was reading a book about John Ford and it was said in it that Carey would show up to work on a picture without a hat. They filmed these "flickers" out in rural California and when they were preparing to shoot the film company would invite local cowboys to come and work as extras. So Carey would have them all stand in line and walk past them all and when he found a hat he liked he borrow it from whatever cowboy was wearing it and he used it for all of the filming. When the film wrapped, he'd give the local cowboy his hat back. Best thing about it, If Carey picked your hat, you got paid as an extra during the whole shoot. If he didn't take your hat, you were only paid for the time they actually needed you.

On the announcers... I had the most SOX experience with Hawk and Wimpy on the tube. Down in this part of the state we can't pick up AM1000, but the Cardinals have a very good network of stations. I have listened to a ton of Cardinals games through the years. I think Jack Buck was a really good PBP announcer. Although I always hated the Cardinals, I couldn't help but recognize HOF talent behind the mic.

BainesHOF
02-07-2005, 03:18 AM
Harry Caray may have had his faults, but he is so far ahead of every other Sox announcer it's not even funny.

24thStFan
02-07-2005, 12:34 PM
I grew up with Elson and Brickhouse ... Caray and Piersall were hilarious at their peak ('77 through '79 in my opinion...

I too grew up watching the Sox and Brickhouse on WGN (before it was a superstation!) I thought Jack was great, and for me he was the voice of the Sox.

When I was a grad student in Champaign (go Illini!) in the mid to late 70s, I listened to Caray and Piersall on the radio all the time. They were really entertaining. In fact, my wife and I had just starting dating, and being the good southside girl she was, she enjoyed many an evening with me listening to the Sox and knocking back a few beers. We still talk about how entertaining and outrageous Harry and Jimmy were back then. Those were the days!!! :D:

24thStFan
02-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Since I live out of town, I'm not familiar with Rooney and Farmer. Some nice things have been said about them in this thread. I just purchased the XM radio subscription so I could listen to the Sox this season. Think Rooney and Farmer will be doing the XM broadcasts?

MINFAN1
02-07-2005, 03:03 PM
I will take the Hawk, although I liked it better with Whimpy. I,m sorry, but just never could take Harry Cary. Bob Elston on the radio, and Jack Brickhouse on T.V. along with Vince Loyd on the lead-off man with all that Hair Arranger commercials. By the way I believe Jack went both ways. With both Cub, and Sox broadcasts at the time.

hose
02-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I'll go with Harry Carry for tv and Rooney for radio.

chisox59
02-07-2005, 06:35 PM
I vote for Bob Elson as well since he was the man I grew up listening to. It amazes me how so many say how boring he was yet we all became enthalled with the White Sox because of him. The only Sox games we got on TV for a long time were the home day games....never a night game and never a road game....so listening to Bob on WCFL was the only way we could follow the games. I remember being just as excited when I heard a home run hit as a "White Owl Wallop" as I was with "Hey Hey", "Holy Cow" or "Put it on the board". I think so many of us fell asleep listening to him not because he didn't keep our interest but because of our age. Bob was the one constant whether he was working with Don Wells, Ralph Kiner, Milo Hamilton or Red Rush.

Church Turtle
02-09-2005, 12:53 PM
I've seen several people mentioning WCFL and I know the SOX are on AM1000 now, but wasn't there a time they were on WMAQ? Or am I dreaming that?

shoota
02-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Ed Farmer

Sad
02-09-2005, 01:12 PM
yes it was WMAQ
I have a ball they gave away (one of the last series from the last season) at Old Comiskey and it says this on the side opposite the Comiskey Park 1910-1990 logo:
WMAQ All News 67

Brian26
02-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I've seen several people mentioning WCFL and I know the SOX are on AM1000 now, but wasn't there a time they were on WMAQ? Or am I dreaming that?

Oh yeah, for most of the 80s and early 90's. I don't recall what station they were on in '81, but I know for a fact they were on in '82 on WMAQ...all the way to maybe '94. I think AM 1000 took over in '95. Joe McConnell and Early Wynn did the radio broadcasts in '82 and '83.

Paulwny
02-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Oh yeah, for most of the 80s and early 90's. I don't recall what station they were on in '81, but I know for a fact they were on in '82 on WMAQ...all the way to maybe '94. I think AM 1000 took over in '95. Joe McConnell and Early Wynn did the radio broadcasts in '82 and '83.

Early Wynn, worse then Farmio, he also did Blue Jay games, absolutely brutal.

Brian26
02-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Early Wynn, worse then Farmio, he also did Blue Jay games, absolutely brutal.

Well, he was very bad, but I think he was REALLY old when he was doing the games.

Paulwny
02-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Well, he was very bad, but I think he was REALLY old when he was doing the games.

Granted, he was old but, what's that have do to with calling a game?, ... Ernie Harwell among others was up in age.

Brian26
02-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Granted, he was old but, what's that have do to with calling a game?, ... Ernie Harwell among others was up in age.

True, good point.

02-09-2005, 02:00 PM
"Its a slow roller up first....BEHIND THE BAG....IT GETS THRU BUCKNER....AND AROUND COMES KNIGHT AND THE METS WIN IT"

Vin Sculley

Bucky F. Dent
02-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Harry Caray was one of a kind!

They were on 670, WMAQ, and WSNS TV 44.

chisox59
02-09-2005, 05:06 PM
They were on WCFL until 1967 when they switched to WMAQ. WCFL had changed their format to rock music to compete with WLS and no longer desired to have the games interrupt their prime time listening audience. They were with WMAQ through 1970 when they lost their radio contract due to lack of sponsorship since the team became so horrible. The games in 1971 were carried on a bunch of smaller stations, WJOL in Joliet being one of them. That was Harry Caray's first season with the Sox. With the teams return to success during that season they got a new contract with WMAQ that lasted into the 1990's.

Wimpy
02-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Wimpy

SoxBoy14
02-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Harry is the best play-by-play with 1977-79 Jimmy Piersall the best color man. Wimpy comes in a close second.

While you're at it, go check out the best college baseball players in America coming to the Chicago area this summer to play in a new $11,000,000 complex in Lisle - yes Lisle. www.dupagedragons.com (http://www.dupagedragons.com/) By the way, while watching the Dragons, you can enjoy a few :gulp:

SoupAppling
02-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Great thread.

I've got to hear Willsy for the all time pre and post game show.

Drysdale probably had the biggest impact on me. DD helped a kid like me with no arm become a decent little league pitcher. All I had to do was go inside and knock a few people off the plate.

But if the Sox were going for a victory in Game 7 and I could choose anyone it would be a pick'em between Hawk and Wimpy or Rooney and Farmio.

I wasn't aware that Joe McConnell did Sox radio years ago. I went to Purdue and think Purdue is quite lucky to have him doing their football play by play.

tebman
02-10-2005, 11:24 AM

For a couple of years (I think it was '80 - '81) the Sox games were on WBBM. Veeck got a better deal with them, but after ReinHorn & Co. bought the Sox, WBBM's contract ran out and WMAQ picked it up again. The Sox were kind of an odd fit on WBBM anyway because of their continuous all-news format. I think the station was just as happy to let the deal expire.

They were on WCFL until 1967 when they switched to WMAQ. WCFL had changed their format to rock music to compete with WLS and no longer desired to have the games interrupt their prime time listening audience. They were with WMAQ through 1970 when they lost their radio contract due to lack of sponsorship since the team became so horrible. The games in 1971 were carried on a bunch of smaller stations, WJOL in Joliet being one of them. That was Harry Caray's first season with the Sox. With the teams return to success during that season they got a new contract with WMAQ that lasted into the 1990's.

A great summary. I thought I remembered the Sox leaving WCFL earlier than '67. Maybe 1965? I think it was in '65 that WCFL became an aggressive full-time rock station.

These could all be Trivial Pursuit questions, eh? :D:

- tebman

DC Sox Fan
02-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Seeing as how most of my exposure to the Sox has been through WGN on Cable, I have a certain affinity for the Hawk. What amazes me is how many fans of other teams (both my yankee fan roommates, O's fans out here, among others) respect and admire the Hawk. I didn't know he was so well-known.

I'm also looking forward to getting Sox radio feed on the XM. I'm also assuming it'll be the Sox' regular announcers.

Does anyone remember when WGN first re-started playing Sox games in the late '80s? I was so happy- musta been 10 or so at the time. Wimpy was there, but he announced with some other guy, and I can't for the life of me remember his name. I have the old "Turn back the clock" game at Ol' Comiskey on tape at my parents' house- maybe I can go look it up sometime. I seem to remember that guy worked for a year or 2 before Hawk came over on the GN side of the broadcasts.

Lip Man 1
02-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

TV:

1948-1954 WGN Jack Brickhouse, Harry Creighton

1955 WGN Jack Brickhouse, Harry Creighton, Vince Lloyd

1956-1964 WGN Jack Brickhouse, Vince Lloyd

1965-1967 WGN Jack Brickhouse, Lloyd Petitt

1968 WFLD Jack Drees, Dave Martin

1969 WFLD Jack Drees, Mel Parnell

1970 WFLD Jack Drees, Billy Pierce

1971-1972 WFLD Jack Drees, Bud Kelly

1973-1974 WSNS Harry Carey, Bob Waller

1975 WSNS Harry Caray, J.C. Martin

1976 WSNS Harry Caray, Lorn Brown

1977 WSNS Harry Carey, Jimmy Piersall, Lorn Brown, Mary Shane

1978-1979 WSNS Harry Caray, Jimmy Piersall, Lorn Brown

1980 WSNS Harry Caray, Jimmy Piersall

1981 WGN Harry Caray, Jimmy Piersall, Lou Brock

1982 WFLD & SportsVision Don Drysdale, Ken Harrelson

1983 WFLD & SportsVision Don Drysdale, Ken Harrelson, Early Wynn, Lorn Brown

1984-1985 WFLD & SportsVision Don Drysdale, Ken Harrelson

1986-1987 WFLD & SportsVision Don Drysdale, Frank Messer

1988 WFLD & SportsVision John Rooney, Tom Paciorek

1989 WFLD & SportsChannel Gary Thorne, Tom Paciorek

1990 WGN & SportsChannel Jim Durham, Ken Harrelson, Tom Paciorek

1991-1997 WGN & SportsChannel Ken Harrelson, Tom Paciorek

1998-1999 WGN & Fox Chicago Ken Harrelson, Tom Paciorek

2000-2005 WGN & Fox Net & WCIU Ken Harrelson, Darrin Jackson

Lip

Lip Man 1
02-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Ask and ye shall receive (Part 2):

Radio:

1944 WIND Bob Elson

1945 WJJD Bob Elson, Jack Brickhouse

1946-1951 WJJD Bob Elson

1952 WCFL Bob Elson, Dick Bingham

1953-1960 WCFL Bob Elson, Don Wells

1961 WCFL Bob Elson, Ralph Kiner

1962-1965 WCFL Bob Elson, Milo Hamilton

1966 WCFL Bob Elson, Bob Finnegan

1967-1970 WMAQ Bob Elson, Red Rush

1971-1972 WTAQ-FM & WEAW-FM Harry Caray, Ralph Faucher

1973 WMAQ Harry Caray, Gene Osborn

1974-1975 WMAQ Harry Caray, Bill Mercer

1976 WMAQ Harry Caray, Lorn Brown

1977 WMAQ Harry Caray, Jimmy Piersall, Lorn Brown, Mary Shane

1978-1979 WMAQ Harry Caray, Jimmy Piersall, Lorn Brown

1980 WBBM Harry Caray, Jimmy Piersall, Joe McConnell, Rich King

1981 WBBM Harry Caray, Joe McConnell, Rich King

1982 WMAQ Joe McConnell, Early Wynn

1983 WMAQ Joe McConnell, Early Wynn, Lorn Brown

1984 WMAQ Joe McConnell, Lorn Brown

1985-1988 WMAQ Lorn Brown, Del Crandell

1989-1991 WMAQ John Rooney, Wayne Hagin

1992-1995 WMAQ John Rooney, Ed Farmer

1996-1998 WMVP John Rooney, Ed Farmer

1999-2005 ESPN 1000 John Rooney, Ed Farmer

Lip

Maximo
02-10-2005, 02:51 PM
I said it several months ago on another thread and I'll say it again.....Joe McConnell was a very good play-by-play man for the Sox. IIRC....he first came to Chicago replacing Jack Brickhouse as the radio voice of the Bears. Brickhouse, of course, was a legend, but McConnell added a lot of excitement to the Bears' broadcasts.

I'm sorry he moved on, but I'm sure it was inevitable.

Lip Man 1
02-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Last I heard Joe was the 'voice' of Purdue University football and men's basketball.

Another thing about the Sox down through the years. They developed a reputation as training very good announcers who went on to become the main guys in other locations.

Examples...

Don Wells took over when the Los Angeles Angels started.
Ralph Kiner took over when the N.Y. Mets started.
Milo Hamilton took over when the Atlanta Braves started.
Wayne Hagin took over when the Colorado Rockies started.
Gary Thorne took over as one of the main baseball guys when ESPN got the baseball deal in 1990.

Lip

Rounding_Third
02-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Drysdale and Hawk!

I also liked Elson's sidekick Rush. 2 of my favorite lines of Rush's were: the windup: "Kicks it high and let's it fly" & the home run recap: "When the hickory hit the horsehide, that ball was long gone" He was better known for his longs years with Loyola basketball but he had a few good ones with the Sox, too.

Gooooooooooooooooo Yoooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuu
Whiiiiiiiiite Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oox!!!!!!

Bisco Stu
02-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Duh. Caray & Piersall.

They are the second greatest broadcast team in HISTORY, only trailing the MNF trio of Cosell--Gifford--Meredith.

GO_U_WHITESOX
02-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Harry was the best........before a northside team toned him down