PDA

View Full Version : A question about Hawk Harrelson?

Jurr
02-05-2005, 10:17 PM
How upset would you guys be if Harrelson left the Sox booth?
Some people can't stand him, but I would be absolutely devastated if the Sox lost this guy. He's magical. If you need some proof, go to MLB.com and watch some of the Sox highlights from the past two years. Wow.

1. July 8, 2004. Timo Perez gets a 3-2 fastball past first base and clears the bases to tie the game. The call will give you chills.
2. August 18, 2003. Frank hits the two run bomb to beat the Angels. Stay fair...stay faaiiir. YES!
3. July 2, 2003. Frank hits the blast to beat the Twins. He's so jazzed up he can barely make the call.
4. Jose Valentin's walk off vs. the Cubs in '03. Great call.

Those are just a few of the calls by the best announcer out there. Yes, there are some extremely good play by play guys, and I think Mcdonough (formerly with the Red Sox), Scully, and Joe Buck are great, but nobody's as emotional and passionate towards a team as Hawk is towards the Sox. It's absolutely great to watch a game with someone that loves the team as much (and probably a lot more) than you do.

chisox2005
02-05-2005, 10:28 PM
I hate to be the hawk basher but I'm not a big fan. I love hearing his classic calls, like the homeruns and all his words and phrases he uses but I fall asleep listening to him and Darrin. I personally would like to see Rooney get a shot at doing the television games. I think Rooney calls a good game and doesn't have real long pauses and dead air like Hawk.

South Side
02-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I hate to be the hawk basher but I'm not a big fan. I love hearing his classic calls, like the homeruns and all his words and phrases he uses but I fall asleep listening to him and Darrin. I personally would like to see Rooney get a shot at doing the television games. I think Rooney calls a good game and doesn't have real long pauses and dead air like Hawk.

There's nothing worse than an announcer that won't shut up. I'd rather Hawk let us watch the game for a few seconds (minutes) than fill it with obnoxious distractions.

FARMEO
02-05-2005, 10:54 PM
I have to agree, I hate an announcer who just wants to hear himself talk. The reason why there is no dead time when Rooney announces games is because he has to describe what is happening to the viewer, which is not necessary on TV -at least for most viewers. The probelm that I have with Hawk is that he has turned into a complete mouth piece for the Sox.

OurBitchinMinny
02-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Hawk was one of the best. i think he has slipped a lot (maybe its just DJ bringiing him down). To answer your question, I wouldnt lose any sleep over him leaving.

NSSoxFan
02-05-2005, 11:02 PM
I would be very sad if Hawk leaves before his time. This guy speaks for the White Sox fan like no other announcer for their respective team. When the Sox are losing and playing with no heart, Hawk is talking on the air the same way I would, with a low depressed tone. On the other side, when the Sox are doing great, he is as excited as anyone. Hawk is the best.

JDub35
02-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Some people can't stand him, but I would be absolutely devastated if the Sox lost this guy. He's magical. If you need some proof, go to MLB.com and watch some of the Sox highlights from the past two years. Wow.

Do you have to pay to download the season highlights, and where can they be found? Link please. Thanks

BigFrankRetard
02-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Overall, I like Hawk. He's entertaining and does a good job of play-by-play. My only gripe with him is his propensity to hold Reinsdorf's nads. I hate to admit it, but Mariotti is right when he says that Hawk is JR's lackey. That said, Mariotti is also a tool and I hope that Hawk beats the snot out of him one day.

nccwsfan
02-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Losing Hawk would be the end of an era in White Sox history. We'll miss him more than we may think....

Lip Man 1
02-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Like PHG has said if the Sox lost Hawk how would the fans know what Uncle Jerry was thinking?Lip

Gosox1917
02-06-2005, 12:20 AM
One of the reasons I'm a Sox fan is because of Hawk's calls. As a kid learning the game, I didn't understand all that he talked about sometimes, but hearing "You can put it on the BOAARRRD, YYYYEEEESSS!" is something that I loved to hear when watching the Sox and still do. Hawk and Wimpy were great together, another reason why I loved to watch games. Hawk and DJ aren't bad, IMO, but Hawk and Wimpy were the best in my time.

I think Hawk draws many younger Sox fans, just as he did me because of his great, familiar calls and play by play. When Hawk retires, it will be a sad day especially because it was his tv announcing that got me into the game and the Sox.

Jerome
02-06-2005, 01:29 AM
Hawk is not a very good Play-by-play man IMO. He speaks in a series of catchphrases If the sox are losing he is practically dead air. Really, the best things he has going for him are "he gone" and "put it on the board". Rooney is waaaaayyyy better. Of course having Mr. Boredom for a partner doesn't help.

:DJ

SOX ADDICT '73
02-06-2005, 01:38 AM
One of the knocks against Hawk is that he is a "homer," but that's what I love about him. People lauded Chip and Stoney, but I hated listening to their bland objectivity (the few times I was held down and forced to watch the sCrUBS telecasts :wink:). Give me an announcer who lives and dies on every pitch like I do. When it seems to me like one of our pitchers is getting squeezed, Hawk is right there to confirm it.
DJ, on the other hand, drives me nuts. How many times have we heard him say of an opposing player, "Now this guy is in a horrific slump. He hasn't hit a homerun in sixteen...oh, whaddya know...there goes one now." I find myself screaming at the TV "SHUT THE HELL UP, DJ, YOU JINX!!!"

BRDSR
02-06-2005, 01:49 AM

I would love to hear that call. I was at the game but I've never heard or seen a tape of it. If anyone has it handy, let me know, that would be awesome.

HebrewHammer
02-06-2005, 02:13 AM
I've always enjoyed Hawk's comments and style. If he were to retire I'd miss him from the booth, but it wouldn't change my viewing habits.

I've always dug his goofy moments, favorite all time comment came from the Arnie Munoz game, we're down something like 11-0, Hawk comes back from the break, "Well, we've got 'em right where we want 'em." Classic.

HebrewHammer
02-06-2005, 02:14 AM
DJ, on the other hand, drives me nuts. How many times have we heard him say of an opposing player, "Now this guy is in a horrific slump. He hasn't hit a homerun in sixteen...oh, whaddya know...there goes one now." I find myself screaming at the TV "SHUT THE HELL UP, DJ, YOU JINX!!!"

Great comment on DJ, he's the ultimate jinx, it's uncanny.

Steelrod
02-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Broadcast hasn't been the same since Wimpy left. Those two had magic together. I guess Hawk didn't think so!

Fredsox
02-06-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't think that Hawk is best suited to play-by-play, but he can do it adequately. His value is that he's straight with the listener, he doesn't talk down to you. He also provides a unique insight into the player's mentality, you find yourself looking at the players as human beings as opposed to some artificial life form. You don't get that from traditional announcers. He also can EXPLAIN baseball strategy as opposed to just parroting it.

That being said, I'm sure he's very challenging to work with.

DrGiggles
02-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I love hearing Hawk and DJ fight, they sound like they're married some times. If you broke them apart it would be heart broken. Of course Hawk is older so he always wins.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Hawk is very opinionated, and entertaining. He's not universally beloved, but who is? When I was a kid, I spent my summers in Michigan, so I caught plenty of Tiger games. Al Kaline and George Kell. They were awful. I'll take Hawk. Who else would bring this much interest in the booth?

TornLabrum
02-06-2005, 10:04 AM
I like Hawk, too. I wish D.J. would be more like he is when he has done national games for Fox. He actually contributes more there than he does to Sox games, so I can't help but wonder how much of that is due to Hawk.

Dan H
02-06-2005, 10:13 AM
I like Harrelson at times, but I really hate his manic depression during Sox losses. Even very good teams lose between 62 and 70 games, and all teams go through bad streaks. I don't want an announcer to insult my intelligence by telling me a bad team is good. But I don't want to be driven to Prozac because the White Sox have lost another one. Hawkeroo needs to chill sometimes.

Gosox1917
02-06-2005, 10:51 AM
I would love to hear that call. I was at the game but I've never heard or seen a tape of it. If anyone has it handy, let me know, that would be awesome.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/multimedia/index.jsp?c_id=cws&ymd=20030630

Here it is. Go to the June 27th plays of the game. YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YES!

JoseCanseco6969
02-06-2005, 12:15 PM

1. July 8, 2004. Timo Perez gets a 3-2 fastball past first base and clears the bases to tie the game. The call will give you chills.
2. August 18, 2003. Frank hits the two run bomb to beat the Angels. Stay fair...stay faaiiir. YES!
3. July 2, 2003. Frank hits the blast to beat the Twins. He's so jazzed up he can barely make the call.

Those are just a few of the calls by the best announcer out there. Yes, there are some extremely good play by play guys, and I think Mcdonough (formerly with the Red Sox), Scully, and Joe Buck are great, but nobody's as emotional and passionate towards a team as Hawk is towards the Sox. It's absolutely great to watch a game with someone that loves the team as much (and probably a lot more) than you do.

I agree 100%. I would be heatbroken if he left to broadcast another team. The only way I'll be able to watch games on TV after he eventually leaves, is if he retires completely. I hope we have many more years of ya ol' hawk!

Ol' No. 2
02-06-2005, 12:49 PM
One of the knocks against Hawk is that he is a "homer," but that's what I love about him. People lauded Chip and Stoney, but I hated listening to their bland objectivity (the few times I was held down and forced to watch the sCrUBS telecasts :wink:). Give me an announcer who lives and dies on every pitch like I do. When it seems to me like one of our pitchers is getting squeezed, Hawk is right there to confirm it.
DJ, on the other hand, drives me nuts. How many times have we heard him say of an opposing player, "Now this guy is in a horrific slump. He hasn't hit a homerun in sixteen...oh, whaddya know...there goes one now." I find myself screaming at the TV "SHUT THE HELL UP, DJ, YOU JINX!!!"I don't mind that Hawk is a homer. Most broadcasters are these days. And while I'm not that big on his hokey sayings, they don't bother me, either. But what drives me FRIKKIN' NUTS is when he goes off on a tangent about some BS completely unrelated to the game. I really don't want to hear 20 minutes on George Brett's hemorrhoids or the best singing ballplayers he's known, meanwhile completely ignoring the game going on. That's when the sound goes off and the radio goes on.

gosox41
02-07-2005, 01:28 PM

I'd lvoe to see him go assuming the Sox brought in someone like a Steve Stone. It's good to have Hawk because he's a fan and openly roots for the team. But he is also a puppet. And an egomaniac. It seems he tries to control DJ. Don't know if it's true, but supposedly he's one of the reasons Paciorek isn't around any more. Last, I'm sick of his cliches. Everytime he says 'He just missed it' I feel like throttling him.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 01:35 PM
...Last, I'm sick of his cliches. Everytime he says 'He just missed it' I feel like throttling him.

Ouch! I forgot about that one! It's like fingernails on a chalkboard everytime I hear him say it. "He jusssst missed it!"
:mad:

Hey Hawk, I just missed it too. Except for the giant hitch in my swing, I might have knocked it clear out of the ****ing ballpark!
:wink:

Hawk homer-ism has become completely intolerable the last two season. I could care less if he left. A dose of reality in the broadcast booth would be a welcome change.
:cool:

Brian26
02-07-2005, 01:38 PM
I like Harrelson at times, but I really hate his manic depression during Sox losses. Even very good teams lose between 62 and 70 games, and all teams go through bad streaks. I don't want an announcer to insult my intelligence by telling me a bad team is good. But I don't want to be driven to Prozac because the White Sox have lost another one. Hawkeroo needs to chill sometimes.

I kinda like the way he wears his heart on his sleeve. Hey, after a tough loss, I'm pissed off as a fan and mostly in an irritable mood. Is there any reason our announcer can't be pissed either?

spawn
02-07-2005, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't cry if he was gone. He seemed like our version of Chip Carey, only Carey showed some balls in openly criticizing the Cubs last season. I'm tired of him bringing up stories from his playing days. And if he does leave, I hope he takes DJ wit him. I find myself often listening to the radio broadcast wihle watching the game. Rooney is so much better than Hawk.

Sad
02-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Hawk's great... He used to annoy me to no end but now I really get a kick out of him...

:hawk Poof!

Brian26
02-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Rooney is so much better than Hawk.

They're both great in what they do. It's almost apples and oranges comparing the radio and tv guys.

Nick@Nite
02-07-2005, 01:48 PM
'He just missed it'

I'm pro Hawk, but I hate that one too. It implies every Sox batter should be hitting at a .350 50HR 175RBI clip.

mweflen
02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Like him or lump him, Hawk has been one of the only things about the Sox that was a real character during the 90s through this last season. Now we have a character in Ozzie, but we don't get to listen to him every game (now that would be interesting...).

To lose Hawk would be losing something uniquely White Sox. Personally, I find Rooney and Farmer's jingoistic political BS-ing more annoying than Hawk's semi-related baseball tangents. If I want to hear how much I should support the troops or vote for George and Jeb, I can tune in the state of the union or something. At least Hawk talks about BASEBALL!

Nick@Nite
02-07-2005, 02:01 PM
At least Hawk talks about BASEBALL

Unless he's talking about someone's golf game... he doesn't do that as often as he did when Wimpy was around.

chisox06
02-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Hawk is not a very good Play-by-play man IMO. He speaks in a series of catchphrases If the sox are losing he is practically dead air. Really, the best things he has going for him are "he gone" and "put it on the board". Rooney is waaaaayyyy better. Of course having Mr. Boredom for a partner doesn't help.

Comparing a radio announcer to a TV one is like Apple's and Oranges, they are 2 entirely different animals. With Radio, the announcers have to have the ability to "paint the picture for the listener" and be extremely descriptive, a completely different type of broadcast. A TV announcer has to be much more subtle in his play calling because the picture is already there for the audience (In other words, saying "base hit" to left field isn't always necessary if you know what I mean).

Rooney is a great radio guy, but whether or not he will be good on TV is impossible to tell until he gets the opportunity.

Baby Fisk
02-07-2005, 02:13 PM
I've mentioned this in previous posts: I subscribe to the Extra Innings package and sometimes have to watch the feed from the opposing team's network. Listening to the dull, lifeless broadcasters for teams like Toronto, Detroit, Oakland, Cleveland, Seattle, etc etc makes me appreciate Hawk all the more. Hawk has his idiosyncracies and annoying clichés (I can't stand "STAY FAIR!"), and he's not the best, but he is way better than a lot of other p-b-p men out there.

spawn
02-07-2005, 02:15 PM
They're both great in what they do. It's almost apples and oranges comparing the radio and tv guys.
Yes, you have a point. I don't know...I guess I'm just sick of the cliches', the nicknames (Where the hell did he get peapod from?), and the witless banter between him and DJ.

longshot7
02-07-2005, 03:05 PM
I've mentioned this in previous posts: I subscribe to the Extra Innings package and sometimes have to watch the feed from the opposing team's network. Listening to the dull, lifeless broadcasters for teams like Toronto, Detroit, Oakland, Cleveland, Seattle, etc etc makes me appreciate Hawk all the more. Hawk has his idiosyncracies and annoying clichés (I can't stand "STAY FAIR!"), and he's not the best, but he is way better than a lot of other p-b-p men out there.

Oh, so true. Especially those hicks in Minnesota. When I lived in Chicago, I would always turn down the TV and turn up the radio - but when my choice is Hawk versus the other team's Homers, it's an easy choice. If I have to see Bert Blyleven circle one more Twins fan, I'm gonna scream.

Baby Fisk
02-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Oh, so true. Especially those hicks in Minnesota. When I lived in Chicago, I would always turn down the TV and turn up the radio - but when my choice is Hawk versus the other team's Homers, it's an easy choice. If I have to see Bert Blyleven circle one more Twins fan, I'm gonna scream.
I try to be a nice person and not talk about hating other people, but man! I hate Bert Blyleven. "Hicks" is the perfect description. (No offense to any hicks who may read this.) :cool:

Maximo
02-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I think the ideal broadcaster supplements the product on the field. It's the team that's the show. That became the problem with Harry and Jimmy toward the end. They tried to become more important than the Sox.

My bias against Harrelson is a result of his GM days. Yet, if this team doesn't become competitive soon, I fear he will continue to head in the direction that Harry Carey chose for himself toward the end of his tenure with the Sox.

Harrelson is an "operator".......someone more concerned about making himself look good, instead of working hard to avoid looking bad. There is a difference.

I want Mags back
02-07-2005, 04:17 PM

Dead air is good on TV, because u SEE what is going on

I want Mags back
02-07-2005, 04:22 PM

Damn, I missed that one. I was busy in the left field seats on my birthday. What a game that was. he were no hit till the 7th, and Frank came through

Stroker Ace
02-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Hawk is great. For anyone that says he is too much of a homer, keep in mind that he is paid to broadcast games for the Sox. Hawk is great because he is a homer.

Baby Fisk
02-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Hawk is great. For anyone that says he is too much of a homer, keep in mind that he is paid to broadcast games for the Sox. Hawk is great because he is a homer.

Hey, welcome aboard! :welcome:

SpammySosa
02-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Rooney is a great radio guy, but whether or not he will be good on TV is impossible to tell until he gets the opportunity.

He did in '88.

jabrch
02-07-2005, 06:49 PM
While I'd miss Hawk - I'd get over it. I'm sure we could find someone who would be a great PBP guy who's lifelong dream was to be the Sox PBP guy...

Maybe if things go well in Tampa DW will end up back here when Hawk retires?

JUribe1989
02-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Hawk and You Can Put it On the Board are unforgettable. The best part of it is how mad opposing fans get when they hear You Can Put it on the Board, Yes! I went over to the Tigers board and looked at some of their old game threads and for the people who listened to the Sox broadcast of the game, they were very annoyed by Hawk's call and said he was pathetic. They focused on him more than their 5 Man Jon Garland pitching rotation or their strut their stuff because we didn't lose 119 games again attitude.

kaufsox
02-08-2005, 12:39 AM
I still kind of like Hawk, but the pairing with DJ just doesn't work. There are times when they don't even speak to one another. They're both talking, but there just isn't any interaction. A couple of times last year, DJ made an observation and Hawk went in a completely different direction, as if he didn't even hear DJ. If the rumor is true that Hawk pushed Wimpy out, that's really too bad because that pairing was fantastic. To answer the orginal post, I wouldn't be torn up if Hawk left, but would be afraid of who they would get to replace him.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-08-2005, 09:12 AM
I still kind of like Hawk, but the pairing with DJ just doesn't work. There are times when they don't even speak to one another. They're both talking, but there just isn't any interaction. A couple of times last year, DJ made an observation and Hawk went in a completely different direction, as if he didn't even hear DJ. If the rumor is true that Hawk pushed Wimpy out, that's really too bad because that pairing was fantastic. To answer the orginal post, I wouldn't be torn up if Hawk left, but would be afraid of who they would get to replace him.

DJ's broadcasts for Fox are very good. In fact he is one of the best guys they have for their broadcasts. Hawk is the problem, not DJ.

ja1022
02-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Count me among those that like Hawk, and I have no problem with DJ either. It's a nice option to have Rooney to turn on when I get Hawked out. I used to travel alot and all I needed was to listen to alot of the other broadcast teams to appreciate what we have.

kaufsox
02-08-2005, 12:10 PM
DJ's broadcasts for Fox are very good. In fact he is one of the best guys they have for their broadcasts. Hawk is the problem, not DJ.
Oh, I don't have a problem with DJ. I just don't think he and Hawk work very well together. Again if rumors are true that Hawk forced Wimpy out, then well we know who is running the roost.

LVSoxFan
02-08-2005, 12:25 PM
I agree with everybody (even Mariotti) that Hawk is a JR lackey; that's the only time he gets into trouble with me. How funny was it at Soxfest when he made the claim that gee, even though we didn't get it done for the last three years, you can't say each time wasn't better than before it?

That brought an avalanche of guffaws from the back of the room, where I was standing.

That said, I don't mind him. I watched so many games last year that I appreciated his job--those mind-numbing games in places like Toronto where there's zero crowd noise and the score is 8-0, and we're losing. He did a good job trying to fill that dead air.

Also, he's not afraid to openly criticize the team's playing on-air, which apparently gets you executed in Cubdom. And I do love the thrill of "You can put it on the boooooard..." Particularly hilarious is when him and DJ do the hilariously inane plugs for local biz on air "Orland Park Elks Club? Yes!" My friends and I substitute some pretty raunchy things while imitating that.

People worship Steve Stone but God that man was boring to listen to. Chip Caray sounded like a game show host.

I can live with Hawk for some more seasons. I will say this: he obviously has his heart in the team, and you can sense his disappointment as the game starts to tank. Is there anything more chilling then when an opposing player connects at the plate and Hawk issues those doomsday words: "This one's trouble"?

Just my two cents.

Baby Fisk
02-08-2005, 12:37 PM
--those mind-numbing games in places like Toronto where there's zero crowd noise and the score is 8-0, and we're losing. He did a good job trying to fill that dead air.

Yeah, I can vouch for the excellent reading conditions at the stadium formerly known as Skydome. In the past, I've brought novels to read during dull games. Can you blame me?

LVSoxFan
02-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I can vouch for the excellent reading conditions at the stadium formerly known as Skydome. In the past, I've brought novels to read during dull games. Can you blame me?

LOL. I can vouch for the bone-dry excitement-free three hours I'll never have back again!

Hangar18
02-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Hawk is about as real, as down to earth, and as SOX an announcer
we've ever had since Harry Caray. He should have a lifetime contract
with us. The only reason he isnt more well known in this town
is because hes with the White Sox. Had he been a Cub announcer,
my god the Chicago Media wouldve made him Mayor Harrelson by now.
They'd have put up a Statue to him somewhere on Addison also.

But .......... hes a SOX announcer, and is so very fortuneate for us.
Know this, the Flubbies would LOVE to have an announcer that is their
own, who is as Witty, a "Homer" and as Talented as Hawk, and they'd
swoop in and hire him away from us if they got the chance. Same
thing with Nancy Faust and Herm Schneider (I love when the cubs
groundskeeper gets kudos on national tv games for how well he does
on that bogus field, or how the Organist gets Kudos for Playing
Take-me-out-to-the-ballgame, and it being such "a traditions")

Hangar18
02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Maybe if things go well in Tampa DW will end up back here when Hawk retires?

Dave Wills will be back eventually ........ hes just getting some practice! :cool:

Jurr
02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Funny thing just happened on ESPN. On Around the Horn, Woody Paige got knocked out for the day. One of the guys said, "HE GONE!" and the host cracked up saying, "He gone..I love it!" ...Mariotti got pissed and said, "don't say that kind of crap"

spawn
02-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Funny thing just happened on ESPN. On Around the Horn, Woody Paige got knocked out for the day. One of the guys said, "HE GONE!" and the host cracked up saying, "He gone..I love it!" ...Mariotti got pissed and said, "don't say that kind of crap"
man, I wish I could've seen that! Mariotti obviously needed his bottle!:roflmao:

Sad
02-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Tony often says that after giving one of them the boot...