PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL! Maggs a Tiger!

Joosh
02-05-2005, 07:17 PM
"Maggs aggrees to become a Tiger"
5 yrs, 75 Mil.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1985108

Apparently the Tiger's may void the contract if Magglios Knee condition continues.

Lip Man 1
02-05-2005, 07:20 PM
It's a risk but if Detroit can void the deal due to injury conditions, then it's a risk worth taking.

Many folks assumed Maggs wouldn't come close to getting this kind of money. I wonder how they feel now considering the amount he could potentially earn.

Lip

RowanDye
02-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Had trouble with Detroit last year and now this......don't mean to be pessimistic but we need to figure out how to beat these guys or we are going to be in trouble again come August....:?:

Link:

Brian26
02-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Apparently the Tiger's may void the contract if Magglios Knee condition continues.

Should be interesting to see how the physical goes. Talk about a lot of pressure on Mags. This could actually get very, very interesting....

Imagine what happens if the knee fails the physical. It's like someone who hits the mega-millions lottery and then accidentally throws the ticket away.

munchman33
02-05-2005, 07:24 PM
It's a risk but if Detroit can void the deal due to injury conditions, then it's a risk worth taking.

Many folks assumed Maggs wouldn't come close to getting this kind of money. I wonder how they feel now considering the amount he could potentially earn.

Lip

Yeah, Lip, that extra $5 million dollars in a non-guaranteed contract is definately better than the one he passed up.

Ishmookie
02-05-2005, 07:25 PM
this could be a steal for Detroit if Maggs is healthy. If he's not they can still void his contract. Good move by the Tigers.

Brian26
02-05-2005, 07:27 PM
this could be a steal for Detroit if Maggs is healthy. If he's not they can still void his contract. Good move by the Tigers.

Even if he's healthy, that's not a steal. That's some fat cash. $15 million a year for someone? Mags has been a hell of a player, but he's not worth $15 million. That's MVP-type money. Mags isn't quite there.

NSSoxFan
02-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Finally, the soap opera is over. Wow, the Tigers are idiots, there has to be an out clause in the contract in case of injury...

PaleHoseGeorge
02-05-2005, 07:28 PM

Lip

Oh, Lord... Lip you made your own bed with this post.

The money isn't guaranteed. In fact it sounds like none of the money is guaranteed. There would have been plenty of teams (including "Uncle Jerry") offering NON-GUARANTEED money to Maggs, except Boras wouldn't take it.

Desperation is the difference. Accepting Detroit's non-guaranteed offer was all The Gimp was left to choose from. Not even the Cubs thought it worth tweaking the Sox' nose... even they took Burnitz over The Gimp!
:roflmao:

BRING OUT THE GIMP!
http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Pulp_Fiction_Gimp_link.jpg
"The Gimp is sleeping."

:maggs
"Well I guess you'll just have to wake him up, now won't you."

SEALgep
02-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Should have spent the money on pitching.

RKMeibalane
02-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Lip

See PHG's post.

Brian26
02-05-2005, 07:32 PM
There would have been plenty of teams (including "Uncle Jerry") offering NON-GUARANTEED money to Maggs, except Boras wouldn't take it.

100% correct. This is the ENTIRE REASON talks between KW and Boras broke down. Boras wasn't willing to talk non-guaranteed money before.

RKMeibalane
02-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Does anyone else besides me find it ironic that Maggs now plays for the same team that tried to rough him up back in 2000?

fed ex 4 pasqua
02-05-2005, 07:33 PM
who thinks maggs won't play before the all-star break?

Chisox003
02-05-2005, 07:35 PM
I also just read this on Yahoo, so it's pretty solid...Seeing Mags 19 times this year scares me a whole lot, plus the Tigers got a pretty decent lineup anyway....

I smell some shootouts at the Cell

I wish Mags the best and hope hes healthy and puts up some good numbers, just not against us....For $75 million, he better put up

RKMeibalane
02-05-2005, 07:35 PM
who thinks maggs won't play before the all-star break?

I was about to make a similar post. I predict that Frank Thomas appears in more games, and hits more home runs, than Magglio Ordonez in 2005.

Brian26
02-05-2005, 07:38 PM
I was about to make a similar post. I predict that Frank Thomas appears in more games, and hits more home runs, than Magglio Ordonez in 2005.

Who thinks Mags may not play a game in 2005?

RKMeibalane
02-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Who thinks Mags may not play a game in 2005?

I think he'll play, just not a lot. I could see the Tigers putting him out there to start the season, just to see if he can handle the rigors of playing every day again, only to find out after about three days that his knee may never be right again.

fed ex 4 pasqua
02-05-2005, 07:41 PM
does albert belle ring any bells?

cwsfannick
02-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Well I guess it is going to be interesting to see if Maggs will be able to cover the right field gap in Comerica's vast outfiled. I cannot believe the Tigers would pay Maggs $15MM to be the DH. What happens with Higginson now?

RKMeibalane
02-05-2005, 07:44 PM
does albert belle ring any bells?

Of course. His name is Belle, after all. :redneck

whitesoxwilkes

I'll take the other side of that, said Wilkes pessimistically.

RKMeibalane
If Maggs and Konerko were to have a race now, who would win?

RKMeibalane
02-05-2005, 07:45 PM
I'll take the other side of that, said Wilkes pessimistically.

Is that you, Lip? :D:

Chisox003
02-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Well I guess it is going to be interesting to see if Maggs will be able to cover the right field gap in Comerica's vast outfiled. I cannot believe the Tigers would pay Maggs $15MM to be the DH. What happens with Higginson now?

Tigers got a ton of OF's, Higginson, Sanchez, Logan, Monroe, White....Im guessing Mags is going to DH a lot...?

RowanDye
02-05-2005, 07:49 PM
"The Tigers can reportedly void the deal at any time if Ordonez' ostechondritis (re)occurs"

...good luck to Maggs I wish him all the best and would never wish injury on a player (except maybe Torrid Hunter).

I was just looking back and realized we went 8-11 against the Tigers last year, that is pretty despicable against a team that finished 20 games back in the division. I really hope this "new" style of play comes together quickly. We lost 8 of 11 of those games by 1 or 2 runs, giving up a late lead several times. I'm just worried that Maggs is going to come back to haunt us and cause us even more problems with those pesky Tigers. Our woes on the west coast are much maligned, but I think going over .500 against Detroit is just as or even more important. <shrugz>

cwsfannick
02-05-2005, 07:51 PM
That is great deal money to pay someone to just DH.

RKMeibalane
02-05-2005, 07:53 PM
That is great deal money to pay someone to just DH.

I know. That probably means that Frank is going to whine about his contract once ST starts, whether he's playing or not.

ASSCLOWN --------------------------------------> :maggs

JRIG
The voidable deal is nice -- I wonder if there's some sort of clause where Mags' doctor has to agree with team doctors on the cause of any potential injury.

Problem to Detroit is...if he's healthy...he's still not worth the $15 million or so he'll be getting.

Mags is benefiting from the fact Mike Ilitch can't spend any of his dough on the Red Wings this season, me thinks.

Brian26
Its a great deal of money to pay him to play outfield. Didn't he make 14 million last year? Does he deserve 15 million? I say no.

spawn
02-05-2005, 07:56 PM
To be honest, last year I thought we'd struggle against the Tigers. With a homerun hitting lineup in that park, we were gonna have trouble scoring runs. Our team now is made up to win games in Comerica.

As far as Maggs is concerned, I can't believe the Tigers signed him for that kinda dough. Incredible.

cwsfannick
02-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Trammell admitted in the papers that they would have to overpay Maggs to get him to sign.

owensmouth
02-05-2005, 08:11 PM
This drops the White Sox to fourth place in the Central. Oh well, good draft position in 2006.

voodoochile
02-05-2005, 08:13 PM
This drops the White Sox to fourth place in the Central. Oh well, good draft position in 2006.

Well, don't do us any favors...

4th? The Tigers have enough pitching to finish in front of the Sox?

You know Magglio will be healthy all year and put up numbers comparable to his career averages?

Okay... How about a nice round of applause for...

:cleo

PaleHoseGeorge
02-05-2005, 08:15 PM

Hey, wait a minute! Don't forget Tony Pena says the road to the A.L. Central championship passes through Kansas City!

Come on, owens! Where's the love for Jayson Stark and his brigade of propellerhead KC fans?

:cool:

RowanDye
02-05-2005, 08:16 PM
To be honest, last year I thought we'd struggle against the Tigers. With a homerun hitting lineup in that park, we were gonna have trouble scoring runs. Our team now is made up to win games in Comerica.

...but if Maggs is healthy they might be set up to win more games at the Cell. :?: Either way I think we need to play them better than we did last year.

oeo
02-05-2005, 08:21 PM
...but if Maggs is healthy they might be set up to win more games at the Cell. :?: Either way I think we need to play them better than we did last year.

But the 2005 team is definately not the 2004 team...so how can you say that we're screwed because we did not play well against them last year? This is a whole new ballclub, comparisons from last year do not show me anything.

SomebodyToldMe
02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
I can't believe that I'm actually reading posts saying that the Tigers are now contenders because of Magglio.

Oh wait, I forgot about Percival!

Seriously people, lay off the :bong:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Newest hot Sox tickets; Friday April 29th, Saturday April 30th, and Sunday May 1st. Magglio's first visit to The Cell as a Tiger. If he's healthy at all.

First time we play the Tigers is in Detroit, Wednesday April 20th. That's an odd week for the Sox. We start the week (Monday) with 2 games vs. Minny, we go to Detroit for 2, and then we go to KC for 3.

santo=dorf
02-05-2005, 08:30 PM
You should become a comedian. :rolleyes:

Shok
02-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Hmm...the royals has a surprinsingly good season two years ago. they did nothing to help the pitching staff in the offseason. sign a slugging outfielder who is coming off injury (JuanGone)...

hmm. how that turn out for Le Royale?

Central is still a two-team race. Just because Baseball America likes your prospects, doesn't mean the team is a contender...<cough, cough>...Cleveland...Royals did nothing. Sox and Twins. Let's rock!!

Wish Maggs well, but he got into bed with the devil. Scott Boras is great for the players making money, terrible for the game. Do you think that Maggs will like Detroit better than Chicago? Or Beltran is a better fit in the Mets clubhouse than the 'stros?....meh...

If the Tigers signed Randy Johnson, I'd be worried. The Tigers had a wad of cash, they blew it. The end.

RowanDye
02-05-2005, 08:35 PM
But the 2005 team is definately not the 2004 team...so how can you say that we're screwed because we did not play well against them last year? This is a whole new ballclub, comparisons from last year do not show me anything.

First, I did not say "we're screwed". Yes we have a lot of new additions that may make this a "whole new ballclub", but it is also an unproven ballclub. I hope the comparisons don't show us anything, but the "whole new ballclub" does not change the fact that a team we have to play 20 times this year just signed a potential All-star. IMHO we need to win the close ones against Detriot this year, and them getting MAggs doesn't make that any easier.

doublem23
02-05-2005, 08:39 PM
I wonder how they feel now considering the amount he could potentially earn.

I dont' feel anything different. I haven't read the article yet, but if it is voidable on Detroit's part per Maggs' health concerns then he's a loser. He and Boras were looking for guaranteed money. They didn't get it. If he's healthy and playing like he can, then he's not too overpaid at $15 mil/year. Detroit's still overpaying, but that's their concern. No need to invest that money in their pitching staff. So, either way, Maggs is a loser. :tongue:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2005, 08:39 PM

:ozzie
::chewing sunflower seeds:: ".......Fourth? In baseball? Oh, in the AL Central?! What the f*** are you smoking?! I'd kick your ass if my good friend Mike wasn't here".

:iron
"No Oz, you're right, this guy deserves an ass-kicking for making such a stupid comment. As the official spokesmen for the city, the Chicago Rush, and Stuart's, allow me to brand your THE DUMBEST PERSON IN CHICAGO. Or at least the most depressed person in the city. Get a grip kid!"

Ouch, harsh critics....

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2005, 08:44 PM
I can't believe that I'm actually reading posts saying that the Tigers are now contenders because of Magglio.

Oh wait, I forgot about Percival!

That's not funny... they got two of the better closers in the league. Unfortunately their starters and other relievers won't give them many games to close :smile: .

I think we can agree that the Tigers are to the AL Central what the Orioles are to the AL East. Older, roughed up, over-paid hitters, and no pitching at all.

But at least the Orioles have Sidney Ponson :bandance:

Viva Medias B's
02-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Mike Illich is an idiot, but at least he's not enough of one per the void clause. The signing of Magglio Ordonez will be as beneficial to the Tigers as the Indians' signing of Keith Hernandez was.

NSSoxFan
02-05-2005, 08:54 PM
I can't believe some people on here actually think the Tigers are going to overpass the Sox now. I've never been a fan of predictions, so I just wish the season would start so we can just see it all play out.

WinningUgly!
02-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Seeing Mags 19 times this year scares me a whole lot

We didn't even see him 19 times last year.:rolleyes:

Jjav829
02-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I still can't believe he got this much money. No doubt, they overpaid for him....while bidding against no one! Amazing what Boras does.

What does this signing means to the Sox and the AL Central? There's definitely an impact as long as Magglio is healthy. I seriously doubt the Tigers would shell out this much money without having seen some very positive signs from the medical reports. They obviously believe he will return to form as an impact player. Maggs presence gives them a very good lineup, if healthy. That qualifier is key. Magglio is coming off a serious injury. Carlos Guillen blew out his knee at the end of the year. Pudge is another year older and you have to wonder how well he will hold up. Still, their lineup should be solid.

Sanchez
Guillen
Rodriguez
Maggs
Young
Pena
Monroe
Inge
Infante

...or something like that. That's a solid lineup, assuming they are all healthy. Their bullpen should be fine if they get Urbina back. Their rotation is a complete different story. There is some talent there, but how realistic is it to expect them all to take that next step. I'm in agreement that Bonderman probably takes a big step forward this season. They would need a lot to go their way to contend. It's probably not very realistic to expect that Bonderman and someone like Ledezma could emerge, or that a Mike Maroth and/or Jason Johnson could have a career year as well. If that happens, they are contenders. Otherwise, they'll probably be like the Indians of 2004 to a lesser extent. They'll hang around and make life tough for the Twins, Sox and Indians. But ultimately, they'll drop off and never seriously contend. That said, and with the all-star game in Detroit this year, if they find themselves in contention in July, I could see them making a run at one of the top pitchers on the trade market.

Whatever happens, I don't think the AL Central will be as big of a joke this year.

hsnterprize
02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
...to Motown!!!!! (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1985108)

Well...at least he isn't going to the Cubs. According to the story, there is an out for the Tigers is Maggs' knee acts up again. However, this signing will now be a test to see which team made the dumber move. It's either the Sox for letting Maggs go and not paying him when they had the chance, or Detroit for giving Magglio so much money without proving he's 100% healthy. We'll soon see.

OEO Magglio
02-05-2005, 09:27 PM
...to Motown!!!!! (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1985108)

Well...at least he isn't going to the Cubs. According to the story, there is an out for the Tigers is Maggs' knee acts up again. However, this signing will now be a test to see which team made the dumber move. It's either the Sox for letting Maggs go and not paying him when they had the chance, or Detroit for giving Magglio so much money without proving he's 100% healthy. We'll soon see.
Maggs isn't worth that much money when healthy and the sox gave him a fair offer, this contract is absolutely ridiculous, the sox made no mistake in letting him go.

veeter
02-05-2005, 09:27 PM
this could be a steal for Detroit if Maggs is healthy. If he's not they can still void his contract. Good move by the Tigers. I'll take Jermaine Dye at 4mil/ yr. To save all that money for pitching AND get Dye, the Sox look good.

depy48
02-05-2005, 09:51 PM
He's a .259 hitter at Comerica Park with nine doubles, one home run and 13 RBIs in 34 games.

from the detroit tigers website. hmm.... :?:

OEO Magglio
02-05-2005, 09:54 PM
How could it be a steal? A healthy maggs isn't worth 15 mill, there is no possible way for this to be considered a steal.

munchman33
02-05-2005, 10:13 PM
from the detroit tigers website. hmm.... :?:

Must have been that same great Tiger pitching that's gonna catapult them passed us this year.

The Wimperoo
02-05-2005, 10:38 PM
What if Maggs gets hurt again, but they can't actually blame it on the osteo-whatever he suffered last year. I bet you Boras is counting on that. If it can't directly be related to last year's injury then I bet Boras fights it and the contract won't be voided.

Has he even worked out for Detroit yet? How can you be so stupid to bid this high against yourself? Why backload the contract so much? Paying Maggs 18 million when he is 35 years old, will cripple them. I love it. Maybe the Mets aren't the dumbest team in baseball.

chisox2005
02-05-2005, 10:42 PM
How could it be a steal? A healthy maggs isn't worth 15 mill, there is no possible way for this to be considered a steal.

I don't think you can call it a steal but Detroit was losing out on all the big name free agents and going into an all-star game wanted to get another all-star caliber player. When you look at the over-paided free agents, the Ordonez deal isn't too bad. But of course that is if he comes back from the injury.
Sexson- 4 years $50 mill off an injury year
Beltran- who hits .30 less than Maggs 7 years 119 mill
JD Drew- coming off a big year but no Maggs got 50+ mill

NSSoxFan
02-05-2005, 10:51 PM
What does everyone think about this slogan for the White Sox: 'From Maggs to Riches'??

OurBitchinMinny
02-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Great move by detroit. They can void it if his knee gets messed up again. He would have gotten a better deal if he had been healthy all last year. This guy is gonna come back and be a sox killer

OurBitchinMinny
02-05-2005, 10:54 PM
I can't believe some people on here actually think the Tigers are going to overpass the Sox now. I've never been a fan of predictions, so I just wish the season would start so we can just see it all play out.

Who said that? The twins and indians maybe. Tigers still have no pitching. And if they do pass us, KW and ozzie are gone cause that would be embarrassing

NSSoxFan
02-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Who said that? The twins and indians maybe. Tigers still have no pitching. And if they do pass us, KW and ozzie are gone cause that would be embarrassing

Here...

I realize it isn't as many people as I made it sound like.

White Sox Baseball: From Maggs to Riches

Jjav829
02-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Well if you think 5 years, $75 million is bad, then you're wrong. It's a steal....

....at least compared to the actual contract which could be worth up to $105 million over 7 years! :o: :o:

Magglio Ordonez's deal with the Tigers will be worth up to $105 million over seven years and includes a clause that will allow it to be voided after 2005 if a reoccurrence of his left knee problem lands him on the DL for at least 25 days.
The AP story would seem to indicate that the Tigers aren't protected from knee problems in 2006 or beyond. Under the terms of the deal, Ordonez gets a $6 million signing bonus, $6 million this year, $15 million in 2006, $12 million in 2007, $15 million in 2008 and $18 million in 2009. Detroit has a $15 million option for 2010 with a $3 million buyout and a $15 million option for 2011 with no buyout. The option years would become guaranteed at $18 million in 2010 and $15 million in 2011 if he has 135 starts or 540 plate appearances in the previous season or 270 starts or 1,080 plate appearances in the previous two seasons.

Wow, just wow. So even if he is healthy and plays well over the next few years, he could be a mediocre player making $18 million at the age of 36, and $15 million at the age of 37! That's amazing. They'll be regretting this one in a few years. The option years become guaranteed if he reaches a certain numbers of plate appearances. So let's say he stays healthy and puts up a few .300/30/100 season. But by the time he is 34-35 age sets in and he becomes a .280/25/85 player, he'll still be making $18 and $15 million. Boras does it again. Just an amazing deal.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Well if you think 5 years, $75 million is bad, then you're wrong. It's a steal....

....at least compared to the actual contract which could be worth up to $105 million over 7 years! :o: :o:

Wow, just wow. So even if he is healthy and plays well over the next few years, he could be a mediocre player making $18 million at the age of 36, and $15 million at the age of 37! That's amazing. They'll be regretting this one in a few years. The option years become guaranteed if he reaches a certain numbers of plate appearances. So let's say he stays healthy and puts up a few .300/30/100 season. But by the time he is 34-35 age sets in and he becomes a .280/25/85 player, he'll still be making $18 and $15 million. Boras does it again. Just an amazing deal.
Thanks Maggs for locking up the Tigers from making any moves over the next 7 years....:bandance:

LongLiveFisk
02-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Seeing Mags 19 times this year scares me a whole lot

Assuming that knee can hold up throughout the span of those 19 games is something I wouldn't assume. But hey, at least Mags provided a huge offensive lift during those 1-0 losses to Detroit a couple years back.

Mohoney
02-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Only time will tell if I'm right or wrong, but I would much rather have Dye at $4 million per season and be able to sign Hermanson, Pierzynski, El Duque, and Iguchi than have Magglio at $15 million per season and run guys like Adkins, Ben Davis, Grilli, and Willie Harris out there.

The thought of Magglio leaving and being replaced by Joe Borchard scared the hell out of me, but I think Kenny Williams did great in getting Dye here at that price. We also still have Everett, and I'm glad that he exercised his player option.

Jermaine Dye and Carl Everett aren't big name, perennial All-Star players like Magglio (although Dye has been there and Everett has been there twice), but I have the utmost confidence in both of these guys turning out to be viable run producers, and both their salaries combined add up to half of what we would be paying Magglio.

I won't get into Dye and Everett being injury risks because, when comparing them to another injury risk in Maggs, it's a moot point.

We all wanted an answer as to what Kenny Williams was going to do with Magglio's $14 million, and in my opinion, he did not disappoint at all.

Hitmen77
02-06-2005, 12:06 AM
"Maggs aggrees to become a Tiger"
5 yrs, 75 Mil.

I have been reading constantly all winter in the Trib that Maggs would sign with the Cubs - I can't believe that didn't come true! I'm sure the Trib wouldn't have engaged in that endless speculation just to embarass the Sox!

Gosox1917
02-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Tigers were desperate to get some big name in the FA market, so here we are now. IMO, Maggs will never be the same after this surgery. Also, his numbers will never compare to what he did at the Cell. He moves from a launching pad to death valley and expects to put up big numbers? This is a no win situation for the Tigers and Maggs. O well, GO SOX!!!!

Mohoney
02-06-2005, 12:11 AM
I have been reading constantly all winter in the Trib that Maggs would sign with the Cubs - I can't believe that didn't come true! I'm sure the Trib wouldn't have engaged in that endless speculation just to embarass the Sox!

I know that some people have trouble with the concept of teal, but how did you come up with lime, my man?

Gosox1917
02-06-2005, 12:11 AM

MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!! THEY BURN!!!:tealpolice:

This is teal. and I love it.

Clement's beard
02-06-2005, 12:12 AM
I can't believe Boras got that contract for him. Funny how Maggs says the Sox don't care about winning but he ends up going to a pathetic franchise like Detroit:rolleyes: . It always has been and it ALWAYS WILL BE about the money. Period and end of frikkin story!

nccwsfan
02-06-2005, 12:15 AM
So Magglio is getting $12 million this season, regardless of how many games he plays? http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1985108

Quick, someone get me Boras' number- I'm hiring him to renegotiate my salary....

Magglio= +

DrCrawdad
02-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Would it be wrong to have a "How many games will Magglio play for Detroit" pool?

Lip Man 1
02-06-2005, 12:21 AM
That AP story is interesting. As stated it looks like if Maggs is OK this year (no guarantees of course..) then he gets the whole kit and kaboodle.

If that's the case then it looks like he comes out very well financially (of course I don't know if the Tigers will!)

Lip

nccwsfan
02-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Would it be wrong to have a "How many games will Magglio play for Detroit" pool?

The question 'how many games will Magglio play for Detroit' isn't inappropriate....my best guess is 50 games. I cannot imagine him being ready anytime before the All-Star Break.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-06-2005, 12:50 AM
That AP story is interesting. As stated it looks like if Maggs is OK this year (no guarantees of course..) then he gets the whole kit and kaboodle.

If that's the case then it looks like he comes out very well financially (of course I don't know if the Tigers will!)

Lip
Forget the kit and kaboodle - Maggs' signing bonus would set most of us up for the rest of our lives. The greed that fed into this situation sickens me.

marlins03
02-06-2005, 12:55 AM
This thread got big Very big in a hurry

soxfan26
02-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Only time will tell if I'm right or wrong, but I would much rather have Dye at $4 million per season and be able to sign Hermanson, Pierzynski, El Duque, and Iguchi than have Magglio at $15 million per season and run guys like Adkins, Ben Davis, Grilli, and Willie Harris out there.

IIRC a few months back someone posted an article showing that no team has won a championship while paying one player more than 15-20% of it's payroll. Maybe if you search around you can find it.

I didn't feel that Maggs was worth $14m/yr before the injury. Jjav made a great point about the kind of production the Tigers are likely to see out of Maggs in the next 3-5 seasons. But thanks to Bora$ Maggs will still be cashing a big check.

cwsfannick
02-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Just a guess, but let's see how this might pan out in the end.

1. Maggs stays healthy this year.
2. Locks the team into a long term contract.
3. Detroit's young players start to make the next step to contender for the AL Central.
4. But now that the team has devoted a large percentage of their payroll to one player, the organization cannot afford to make moves to make the next step.
5. Now resentment towards the owner, gm and player will start to rear it ugly head.
6. Owner and gm try to trade Maggs, but no teams want to take on that contract and the Tigers cannot get in return the same value.
7. Tiger's finally make a deal where they have to pay 90% of the upcoming year's contract and they will receive 3 minor leaguers and a washed up verteran. Also, as part of this trad going through the MLBPA allows Maggs to restructure his contract, so he can get Hell out of Detroit after the fans start throwing Squid at him.

This is a combination of scenarios of the Texas Rangers and the Cubs.

On a separate issue I wonder how the Red Wing players feel about their owner giving out a contract like this?

FarWestChicago
02-06-2005, 01:33 AM
This drops the White Sox to fourth place in the Central. Oh well, good draft position in 2006.Not Teal!!

:tealpolice:

pearso66
02-06-2005, 01:46 AM
A lot of people say Maggs wont be ready by the all-star break, well if that is the case, he won't be in Detroit in 2006. My guess is he plays at 60-80% healthy just so he can get his contract.

owensmouth
02-06-2005, 02:21 AM
As much comtempt as I have for KW, I do not blame Kenny or indeed anyone in the White Sox organization for the loss of Magglio. Maggs wanted to go the free agency route and he made that plain to everyone. He had no real interest in resigning with the Sox, no matter what they offerred. For Magglio, anything that the Sox quoted him was a starting point for free agency.

So he got 15 million, and I think he would have gotten much more, if it hadn't been for his injury.

As far as the injury is concerned, if he can play hard early in the season, then it's not going to come back. If after a couple of months he has no troubles, the doctors have made him right. If he's limping after a week or two, the whole thing's out the window.

Adding a stick like Magglio's to Detroit is definately going to improve them. He won't hit thirty homers in Detroit, maybe 25, but I suspect he's going to be looking foreward to when the White Sox show up.

We have not done well against the Tigers, and them adding Magglio to their team will not help us.

Jabroni
02-06-2005, 02:32 AM
As much comtempt as I have for KW, I do not blame Kenny or indeed anyone in the White Sox organization for the loss of Magglio. Maggs wanted to go the free agency route and he made that plain to everyone. He had no real interest in resigning with the Sox, no matter what they offerred. For Magglio, anything that the Sox quoted him was a starting point for free agency.

So he got 15 million, and I think he would have gotten much more, if it hadn't been for his injury.

As far as the injury is concerned, if he can play hard early in the season, then it's not going to come back. If after a couple of months he has no troubles, the doctors have made him right. If he's limping after a week or two, the whole thing's out the window.

Adding a stick like Magglio's to Detroit is definately going to improve them. He won't hit thirty homers in Detroit, maybe 25, but I suspect he's going to be looking foreward to when the White Sox show up.

We have not done well against the Tigers, and them adding Magglio to their team will not help us.Carlos Beltran is making $17 million a season. Please don't tell me that you think Magg$ deserves the same, injury or no injury. :rolleyes: The Tigers overpaid, plain and simple.

jake27
02-06-2005, 03:21 AM
i cant wait til i get my sox vs tigers tickets :redneck

TDog
02-06-2005, 03:35 AM
A lot of people say Maggs wont be ready by the all-star break, well if that is the case, he won't be in Detroit in 2006. My guess is he plays at 60-80% healthy just so he can get his contract.

This is an excellent point. If Ordonez isn't healthy, he has incentive to do his best to hide his knee injury this year. That could hurt his performance, but staying off the DL has to be his priority. He might be too slow to play the outfield, and he might have some serious problems hitting in the cavernous ballpark. But he'll earn millions if he can stay off the DL.

If Ordonez had signed a minor league contract with pressure to perform to make major league money again, I would wish him well. With this contract, I hope he averages .220 for the rest of his career.

The year Carlos May came back from his hand injury -- the previous August -- he didn't whine about being paid $20,000.

cubhater
02-06-2005, 07:57 AM
First time we play the Tigers is in Detroit, Wednesday April 20th. That's an odd week for the Sox. We start the week (Monday) with 2 games vs. Minny, we go to Detroit for 2, and then we go to KC for 3.

Good time for us to build an early lead in the Central!:bandance:

cubhater
02-06-2005, 07:59 AM

RF isn't that spacious at Comerica. I believe it's 330 down the line and 365 in right-center. Then it juts out to 420 in CF.

cubhater
02-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Magglio Ordonez's deal with the Tigers will be worth up to $105 million over seven years and includes a clause that will allow it to be voided after 2005 if a reoccurrence of his left knee problem lands him on the DL for at least 25 days.
The AP story would seem to indicate that the Tigers aren't protected from knee problems in 2006 or beyond. Under the terms of the deal, Ordonez gets a $6 million signing bonus, $6 million this year, $15 million in 2006, $12 million in 2007, $15 million in 2008 and $18 million in 2009. Detroit has a $15 million option for 2010 with a $3 million buyout and a $15 million option for 2011 with no buyout. The option years would become guaranteed at $18 million in 2010 and $15 million in 2011 if he has 135 starts or 540 plate appearances in the previous season or 270 starts or 1,080 plate appearances in the previous two seasons.

So basically he has to stay healty for ONE year with an alleged degenerative knee condition???? IF that's the case, the Tigers are screwed. Especially the last years. It'll be the Cubs/Sosa situation this past offseason.

marlins03
02-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Where are the Tigers trolls?? i saw plenty of them during the Pudge signing. oh yea thats right they are preparing for another.400 season Go White Sox!! Beat Pudge and Maggs.

duke of dorwood
02-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Just remember, signing this does not make him any healthier than some of us suspect he is and

He will really hit into a lot of double plays now if he does play.

Ol' No. 2
02-06-2005, 12:37 PM
This deal is only voidable if he spends more than the allotted time on the DL. It's not voidable if he's just not the same player anymore. Call him DUMBrowski.

samram
02-06-2005, 12:48 PM
This deal is only voidable if he spends more than the allotted time on the DL. It's not voidable if he's just not the same player anymore. Call him DUMBrowski.

Yeah, that's why the deal is still very risky and could become messy. What if he feels he can (or has to, in order to avoid termination of the deal) play and the Tigers physicians think he can't or shouldn't because he can't perform well enough to help the team (or his being in the lineup is actually hurting the team)? How does that get resolved? The Tiges won't want him out there for 140 games hitting .250 with 18 HRs and 55 RBIs, but he won't want to be on the DL if he is able to perform at that level.

That said, if he's healthy, I think his numbers will be good.

dickallen15
02-06-2005, 12:56 PM
100% correct. This is the ENTIRE REASON talks between KW and Boras broke down. Boras wasn't willing to talk non-guaranteed money before.

So you are saying that the White Sox offer was loaded with non-guaranteed money. I could have sworn the Sox made it sound like they offered Maggs what he was asking for, and I'm sure he wasn't asking for non-guaranteed money, considering they did not negotiate with him at all after his injury. Magglio IS guaranteed $12 million, which is a sum the White Sox were NOT willing to pay him for one season. IF they were, they would have offered arbitration. Detroit has to build up their team by free agency, and they have to give higher salaries to players to go to that hell hole. This seems to be a good deal for both sides. IF Maggs is healthy, Detroit gets a great player, at just slightly higher than the price he would have commanded pre-injury to go to a more attractive place. Maggs, if healthy, gets his money, and if he's not healthy, Detroit has an out in the contract, and Maggs has another $12 million to live off the rest of his life.

voodoochile
02-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Yeah, that's why the deal is still very risky and could become messy. What if he feels he can (or has to, in order to avoid termination of the deal) play and the Tigers physicians think he can't or shouldn't because he can't perform well enough to help the team (or his being in the lineup is actually hurting the team)? How does that get resolved? The Tiges won't want him out there for 140 games hitting .250 with 18 HRs and 55 RBIs, but he won't want to be on the DL if he is able to perform at that level.

That said, if he's healthy, I think his numbers will be good.

This is an excellent point and even if he can't play the OF, he should be able to DH unless his knee completely falls apart.

If the Tigers decide to put him on the Dl, would Maggs have recourse to an arbitrator if they subsequently void his contract?

For 75M guaranteed and potentially 105M, I don't see Maggs going on the DL unless he can't even walk. Heck, for all we know, he already knows he has to eventually replace the knee (which is the worst case scenario for this kind of injury). If he does, he will do whatever he can to stay on the active roster or fight any DL time that threatens the contract.

munchman33
02-06-2005, 02:10 PM
So you are saying that the White Sox offer was loaded with non-guaranteed money. I could have sworn the Sox made it sound like they offered Maggs what he was asking for, and I'm sure he wasn't asking for non-guaranteed money, considering they did not negotiate with him at all after his injury. Magglio IS guaranteed $12 million, which is a sum the White Sox were NOT willing to pay him for one season. IF they were, they would have offered arbitration. Detroit has to build up their team by free agency, and they have to give higher salaries to players to go to that hell hole. This seems to be a good deal for both sides. IF Maggs is healthy, Detroit gets a great player, at just slightly higher than the price he would have commanded pre-injury to go to a more attractive place. Maggs, if healthy, gets his money, and if he's not healthy, Detroit has an out in the contract, and Maggs has another $12 million to live off the rest of his life.

The Sox offer came before the injury. It was guaranteed money. After he got hurt, hired Boras, and refused to let the Sox look at his leg, the White Sox never made another offer. Can you blame them?

Lip Man 1
02-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Sox Since 73:

He did get the deal though which is something many fans felt he wouldn't come close to getting. He still has to stay 'healthy' this year to get it but considering the speculation about how healthy he really is, it still seems like Boras was able to get a fabulous deal for him.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
02-06-2005, 02:16 PM
This is an excellent point and even if he can't play the OF, he should be able to DH unless his knee completely falls apart.

If the Tigers decide to put him on the Dl, would Maggs have recourse to an arbitrator if they subsequently void his contract?

For 75M guaranteed and potentially 105M, I don't see Maggs going on the DL unless he can't even walk. Heck, for all we know, he already knows he has to eventually replace the knee (which is the worst case scenario for this kind of injury). If he does, he will do whatever he can to stay on the active roster or fight any DL time that threatens the contract.

If the price of signing Maggs was all the bull**** the Tigers agreed to in this Bora$$ contract, count me as one Sox Fan very glad the money was instead invested elsewhere -- namely the pitching staff.

It will be especially enjoyable watching The Gimp ground into all those double plays next season knowing he is bleeding the Tigers of any financial resouces they might have used to improve their ballclub.

munchman33
02-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Sox Since 73:

He did get the deal though which is something many fans felt he wouldn't come close to getting. He still has to stay 'healthy' this year to get it but considering the speculation about how healthy he really is, it still seems like Boras was able to get a fabulous deal for him.

Lip

I am really surprised at the deal Boras was able to swing. I'm almost positive he has a pact with Satin.

I hope Maggs is healthy next year. That contract is an albatross, and the Tigers getting stuck with it only helps us for years to come.

SOXintheBURGH
02-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I am really surprised at the deal Boras was able to swing. I'm almost positive he has a pact with Satin.

I hope Maggs is healthy next year. That contract is an albatross, and the Tigers getting stuck with it only helps us for years to come.

Satin is a color.

Satan is this guy:

:borass:

Jabroni
02-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Satin is a color.

Satan is this guy:

:borass::)

TaylorStSox
02-06-2005, 03:44 PM
IMO, some people have a really distorted memory of how good Maggs was when he was healthy. He's been a model of consistancy. But, when compared to the elite of the league (his pay range), his numbers don't look all that impressive. Keep in mind that he's hit in our park, in this era.

If I'm Detroit, I'm not sure that I want an aging, slow corner outfielder in that park. Perhaps, they'll DH him. If he's healthy, he'll hit a ton of doubles. But, his power numbers will be way down.

As of right now, Maggs makes more than Vlad. In no way, shape, or form is that a steal.

Would you want to pay a 36 year old Ordonez 18 million? I certainly wouldn't.

HoustonAstros967
02-06-2005, 03:50 PM

Lip

I was thinking maggs would get a one year deal from a team and he would come relatively cheap. but 75 million??? wow.

HoustonAstros967
02-06-2005, 03:52 PM
IMO, some people have a really distorted memory of how good Maggs was when he was healthy. He's been a model of consistancy. But, when compared to the elite of the league (his pay range), his numbers don't look all that impressive. Keep in mind that he's hit in our park, in this era.

If I'm Detroit, I'm not sure that I want an aging, slow corner outfielder in that park. Perhaps, they'll DH him. If he's healthy, he'll hit a ton of doubles. But, his power numbers will be way down.

As of right now, Maggs makes more than Vlad. In no way, shape, or form is that a steal.

Would you want to pay a 36 year old Ordonez 18 million? I certainly wouldn't.

Boras is unbelievable! He got his injured client more than the defeding AL MVP gets paid. Boras must be a hell of a degotiator!

BigEdWalsh
02-06-2005, 04:33 PM
For Maggs: :tomatoaward
Can I throw this at him?

cwsfannick
02-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Wouldn't it be something else if Maggs does not even pass his physical?

Did the Tigers see him work out or did they consider him healthy enough to offer a contract just based on the medical records?

Frankfan4life
02-06-2005, 04:39 PM
I still can't believe he got this much money. No doubt, they overpaid for him....while bidding against no one! Amazing what Boras does.

What does this signing means to the Sox and the AL Central? There's definitely an impact as long as Magglio is healthy. I seriously doubt the Tigers would shell out this much money without having seen some very positive signs from the medical reports. They obviously believe he will return to form as an impact player. Maggs presence gives them a very good lineup, if healthy. That qualifier is key. Magglio is coming off a serious injury. Carlos Guillen blew out his knee at the end of the year. Pudge is another year older and you have to wonder how well he will hold up. Still, their lineup should be solid.

Sanchez
Guillen
Rodriguez
Maggs
Young
Pena
Monroe
Inge
Infante

...or something like that. That's a solid lineup, assuming they are all healthy. Their bullpen should be fine if they get Urbina back. Their rotation is a complete different story. There is some talent there, but how realistic is it to expect them all to take that next step. I'm in agreement that Bonderman probably takes a big step forward this season. They would need a lot to go their way to contend. It's probably not very realistic to expect that Bonderman and someone like Ledezma could emerge, or that a Mike Maroth and/or Jason Johnson could have a career year as well. If that happens, they are contenders. Otherwise, they'll probably be like the Indians of 2004 to a lesser extent. They'll hang around and make life tough for the Twins, Sox and Indians. But ultimately, they'll drop off and never seriously contend. That said, and with the all-star game in Detroit this year, if they find themselves in contention in July, I could see them making a run at one of the top pitchers on the trade market.

Whatever happens, I don't think the AL Central will be as big of a joke this year.This also all depends on how effective I-Rod will be when he's off the roids. :bandance:

pearso66
02-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Wouldn't it be something else if Maggs does not even pass his physical?

Did the Tigers see him work out or did they consider him healthy enough to offer a contract just based on the medical records?

Maggs was going to work out sometime this week I heard. So my guess is the Tigers havn't seen him work out.

Ol' No. 2
02-06-2005, 10:27 PM

For 75M guaranteed and potentially 105M, I don't see Maggs going on the DL unless he can't even walk. Heck, for all we know, he already knows he has to eventually replace the knee (which is the worst case scenario for this kind of injury). If he does, he will do whatever he can to stay on the active roster or fight any DL time that threatens the contract.I would think if the Tigers place him on the DL and they void the deal, he COULD file a grievance if he felt he could play. Assuming the MLBPA decided to pursue it (gee, ya think?) it would then be up to the arbitrator.

Lip Man 1
02-06-2005, 11:38 PM
No. 2:

I would think it might also be a case of the language and possibilities regarding an injury being spelled out completely in the contract. I'd have to think both Scott Boras and the Tigers would want to cover their rear ends as much as possible ahead of time, don't you think?

Lip

Jjav829
02-07-2005, 12:56 AM
One of the funniest things about this signing is watching the Cubs fans reactions. Now they are all calling Magglio greedy. What, so you mean he didn't have a great desire to play for the Cubs? You mean this was all just about money, just like any other MLB player? You mean his stated interest in the Cubs was just to try to get more money and increase the interest in him, rather than a true love for the Cubs? Shocking, I tell you. Just shocking! :rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
02-07-2005, 01:07 AM
One of the funniest things about this signing is watching the Cubs fans reactions. Now they are all calling Magglio greedy. What, so you mean he didn't have a great desire to play for the Cubs? You mean this was all just about money, just like any other MLB player? You mean his stated interest in the Cubs was just to try to get more money and increase the interest in him, rather than a true love for the Cubs? Shocking, I tell you. Just shocking! :rolleyes:

It will be funny to hear the reaction tomorrow from Cubbie fan radio hosts, such as Mike Murphy, Jurko & Harry. Murphy was just certain that Magglio was going to sign with the Cubbies. I remember hearing him take a phone call from a Cubbie fan who said that Magglio went to a game at The Shrine last year and that Magglio turned down an offer from the Sox SO THAT HE COULD FULFILL HIS DREAM OF PLAYING FOR THE CUBS. Murph's response was that he was certain Magg's would be with the Cubbies in '05.

However just as Cubbie fans have flip-flopped on Sosa so they will on Maggs. The mantra will be that the Cubs and Cubbie fans never really wanted Maggs. And oh, Jeremy Burnitz is better than even a healthy Magglio.

All that B.S. about how Magglio wanted to play for the Cubs was just to try to draw the Cubs into a bidding war. Magglio was going to follow the money wherever it led him. Magglio had no intention of signing with the Cubs, if there was a better deal somewhere else. With Magglio, it's about the money.

santo=dorf
02-07-2005, 01:24 AM
It will be funny to hear the reaction tomorrow from Cubbie fan radio hosts, such as Mike Murphy, Jurko & Harry. Murphy was just certain that Magglio was going to sign with the Cubbies. I remember hearing him take a phone call from a Cubbie fan who said that Magglio went to a game at The Shrine last year and that Magglio turned down an offer from the Sox SO THAT HE COULD FULFILL HIS DREAM OF PLAYING FOR THE CUBS. Murph's response was that he was certain Magg's would be with the Cubbies in '05.

However just as Cubbie fans have flip-flopped on Sosa so they will on Maggs. The mantra will be that the Cubs and Cubbie fans never really wanted Maggs. And oh, Jeremy Burnitz is better than even a healthy Magglio.

All that B.S. about how Magglio wanted to play for the Cubs was just to try to draw the Cubs into a bidding war. Magglio was going to follow the money wherever it led him. Magglio had no intention of signing with the Cubs, if there was a better deal somewhere else. With Magglio, it's about the money.

I tuned in Friday while picking up some dinner, and he Barry Rozner were ripping on the contract that MacPhail gave to Sosa, and called the Tribune company "cheap" because Beltran wasn't signed. Barry Rozner then said that there's no doubt that Beltran would sign here because "he wanted to play for the Cubs." To which Murph replied "there's no doubt about it." :rolleyes:

StillMissOzzie
02-07-2005, 01:37 AM
So Maggs gets $6M as a signing bonus and another $6M IF he stays healthy in 2005, otherwise the deal is voidable, right? Is the only voidable part involving 2005? I guess if he makes it through 2005, then the knee is healed and the voidable option wouldn't be needed, but whet if the same knee gets reinjured after 2005? Cuz maybe it's healed, but will never be as good as it used to be?

So much for wanting to play for a winner. Maggs' deal, like A-Rod's contract with Texas, will guarantee that the Tiggers remain toothless, with shabby pitching, for the next few years. But Maggs got his money, so Bora$ did what was best for his client, as usual.

Now, more than ever - let's win this division...and more!

SMO
:gulp:

nccwsfan
02-07-2005, 08:45 AM
So Maggs gets $6M as a signing bonus and another $6M IF he stays healthy in 2005, otherwise the deal is voidable, right? Is the only voidable part involving 2005? I guess if he makes it through 2005, then the knee is healed and the voidable option wouldn't be needed, but whet if the same knee gets reinjured after 2005? Cuz maybe it's healed, but will never be as good as it used to be?

So much for wanting to play for a winner. Maggs' deal, like A-Rod's contract with Texas, will guarantee that the Tiggers remain toothless, with shabby pitching, for the next few years. But Maggs got his money, so Bora$ did what was best for his client, as usual.

Now, more than ever - let's win this division...and more!

SMO

Sort of- he gets a $6MM signing bonus and has a $6MM salary in 2005. If he's out more than 25 games in 2005 due to a knee injury reoccurrence the Tigers have the option to void out the remainder of the deal (my understanding of the situation). In other words- $12 million minimum for Magglio, and if he's a Tiger next season a whole lot more...

Baby Fisk
02-07-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm glad this turgid storyline is finally over.

It is over now, isn't it gang? :?:

spawn
02-07-2005, 09:55 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet...I don't have the time to go through every post made here. So if this has been mentioned, please excuse my redundancy. The Tigers signed Maggs for 5 years, 75 Mil. AL MVP Vladimir Guerrero has a 5 year, $70 million contract. I'll bet Vlad is wishing he had Boras as an agent right about now. I think I saw some posts stating that if Maggs is healthy, this is a good deal for the Tigers. I beg to differ. 15 mil a year isn't a good deal. The Cubs getting Nomar with an incentive laden contract is a good deal if Nomar is healthy. The Tigers probably could've had Maggs for less money. That's just my opinion.

Ol' No. 2
02-07-2005, 10:33 AM
No. 2:

I would think it might also be a case of the language and possibilities regarding an injury being spelled out completely in the contract. I'd have to think both Scott Boras and the Tigers would want to cover their rear ends as much as possible ahead of time, don't you think?

LipThe devil is always in the details. I'm sure there is some kind of language in there regarding this. But it seems to me that ultimately, someone has to make the decision that he does or does not go on the DL. I can't imagine the team ceding that authority.

Flight #24
02-07-2005, 10:58 AM
The devil is always in the details. I'm sure there is some kind of language in there regarding this. But it seems to me that ultimately, someone has to make the decision that he does or does not go on the DL. I can't imagine the team ceding that authority.

I just hope the Tigers have some language that requires Maggs to submit to a team physical/exam if requested.....oh wait, that's already in the CBA and there's no way Maggs would refuse that to his employer, right?

Actually, the real question for the Tigers is what language they have about his use of painkillers, anti-inflammatories, and "knee lubricants" without them being prescribed by team physicians. As reported already, Maggs has a $63mil incentive to do anything & everything in his power to avoid 25 DL days.

Ol' No. 2
02-07-2005, 11:06 AM
I just hope the Tigers have some language that requires Maggs to submit to a team physical/exam if requested.....oh wait, that's already in the CBA and there's no way Maggs would refuse that to his employer, right?

Actually, the real question for the Tigers is what language they have about his use of painkillers, anti-inflammatories, and "knee lubricants" without them being prescribed by team physicians. As reported already, Maggs has a $63mil incentive to do anything & everything in his power to avoid 25 DL days.Yup. And as we all know, the bone edema was a probable result of his coming off the DL too soon because he knew he was in his walk year. This has all the makings of a train wreck.

JUribe1989
02-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Maggs seems to think that we won't boo him. I don't think he realizes that most of us like KW a lot better than him, and he insulted KW in the Cubune on Monday.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Yup. And as we all know, the bone edema was a probable result of his coming off the DL too soon because he knew he was in his walk year. This has all the makings of a train wreck.

Yours is a very interesting theory. Besides what you note, it would also explain why Magglio announced he was going to have a workout during the winter meetings and later bailed out.

Magglio is anxious to get his big pay day and he is letting his greed cloud his judgment about the seriousness of his injury. He keeps trying to rush things along...

This is a very bad omen for the Tigers. Magglio has built-in incentives to hide his injury and thus make his condition even worse. Based on his past words and actions on this subject, I wouldn't trust Magglio Ordonez any further than I could throw him.

Sucks to be the Tigers.

Flight #24
02-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Sucks to be the Tigers.

I don't feel bad for them for a second. They're going to be hoisted on their own idiocy. I beleive I saw a report that they expect to see him work out sometime soon as part of finalizing the deal, which means that they basically spoke with Bora$$ handpicked doctors and then signed a deal where they have a great chance of getting stuck with a non-performing albatross. But I'm sure they'll have no trouble getting the contract insured.....

Hangar18
02-07-2005, 12:02 PM

Exactly. Scott Boras the Jackass had Maggs gambling, and they lost.
NOW they finally say they will take the Non-Guaranteed Money. I do
want to know for sure though, that the White Sox were willing to talk
Non Guaranteed $$$$$$ in case he was still injured. Werent the SOX
only going with deferred money, and using the Injury as an issue to NOT
Re-Sign him? Both teams are still at fault here, but considering the
SOX had SelfImposed Payroll constraints, I can see where KW had no
choice but to let him go. Otherwise, we'd be singing the Paulie-is-Gone
blues ........

I was hoping Maggs and the SOX could come to a Bo Jackson type of
Contractual Conclusion ........... *sighs* at least hes not a cub.

Corlose 15
02-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm watching the FSN-Detroit broadcast of the press conference for Magglio Ordonez and Dombrowski said they were able to see the medical records. Why should we believe that he wanted to stay when he lets the Tigers see them but not the Sox.

Jjav829
02-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm watching the FSN-Detroit broadcast of the press conference for Magglio Ordonez and Dombrowski said they were able to see the medical records. Why should we believe that he wanted to stay when he lets the Tigers see them but not the Sox.

Boras is lying. I'm predicting his responses and hitting them dead on. Notice how Magglio hasn't said a word. Boras is handling (*cough* lying for him *cough*) every question. O wait, here comes a Magglio question about Detroit, the park, etc.

Jjav829
02-07-2005, 03:37 PM
LOL! Maggs microphone just went out in the middle of an answer. Can you say bad omen?

Flight #24
02-07-2005, 03:38 PM
LOL! Maggs microphone just went out in the middle of an answer. Can you say bad omen?

Anyone else find it odd that Maggs woulnd't let the sound tech look at the mic, but just insisted it was working fine?

Baby Fisk
02-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Anyone else find it odd that Maggs woulnd't let the sound tech look at the mic, but just insisted it was working fine?

*howls of derisive laughter* :rolling:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 03:43 PM

Boras accidently stepped on the cord.
:wink:

:borass:
"No more tough questions from you ham and eggers, or this press conference is over!"

Corlose 15
02-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Maggs just said that he thinks the Tigers have the best team in the division. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

You know Maggs, just because you play for the Tigers doesn't mean you still get to take the Twins series off.:redneck

Jjav829
02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Maggs just said that he thinks the Tigers have the best team in the division. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

You know Maggs, just because you play for the Tigers doesn't mean you still get to take the Twins series off.:redneck

It's funny, but what else is he gonna say?

Boras just completely ignored the question about the procedure Maggs that is considered illegal in the U.S.

Flight #24
02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Dumbrowski: "I'm very excited how the club looks".....probably because Maggs is sitting down rather than running.....

Flight #24
02-07-2005, 03:49 PM
It's funny, but what else is he gonna say?

Boras just completely ignored the question about the procedure Maggs that is considered illegal in the U.S.

Has anyone asked about why if it was sos imple and he was so healthy, they didn't have any workouts at all?

Jjav829
02-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Tigers fan are eating this crap up. They believe what Boras is saying. Kind of funny, though kind of sad.

Link (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24892&perpage=40&pagenumber=2)

Jjav829
02-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Has anyone asked about why if it was sos imple and he was so healthy, they didn't have any workouts at all?

No, but then again, Boras would have just sidestepped that question too. Something along the lines of, "We didn't believe it was necessary to workout at the time. We provided the interested teams with full medical reports, but felt it was best to allow Magglio to continue along his normal rehabilitation course."

BTW, it is really sickening to see Maggs in that Tigers uniform. Bleh, when does Spring Training start?

Flight #24
02-07-2005, 03:54 PM
BTW, it is really sickening to see Maggs in that Tigers uniform. Bleh, when does Spring Training start?

Don't worry, he'll be in street clothes, or not seen at all pretty soon, IMO.

Baby Fisk
02-07-2005, 03:57 PM
BTW, it is really sickening to see Maggs in that Tigers uniform.
Not as sickening as baby bear blue would have been. This forum would set tomato records throughout the season from the onslaught of postings every time Ordoņez got mentioned (or lied about) in the local press.

Whoa! Did the Tigers GM predict that Maggs would start opening day?! That's what someone posted on the Tigers board. :?:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Not as sickening as baby bear blue would have been. This forum would set tomato records throughout the season from the onslaught of postings every time Ordoņez got mentioned (or lied about) in the local press.

I'm sure tomorrow's Cubune will quote Hendry saying something along the lines that this has been a great winter for the Cubs. They got Beltran out of the division and they got Magglio to the Tigers, too!

:)

Oh and here is the best part... Flubs fans will believe him.

Jjav829
02-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Whoa! Did the Tigers GM predict that Maggs would start opening day?! That's what someone posted on the Tigers board. :?:

Yes, he did. But once again, what else is he going to say? It's a press conference introducing Maggs. Everything is going to be spun to the most positive angle possible. To put a lot of stock into anything said is foolish, but yet some Tigers fans seem to be doing just that. I guess they don't have much of a choice. They want to be excited about this, though some seem to realize that it is a huge risk. But back to my point, everything is going to sound good if you listen to the Tigers people. Magglio is the greatest player ever. He knee is fine. Bone marrow edema is nothing serious. His surgeries were routine. And so on. It's kind of like listening to a Dusty Baker press conference.

http://www.kronishsports.com/images/Dusty%20Baker.jpg
"Dude, I never heard anything about no bone marrow edema. Everyone has bone marrow edema. You ever been checked for bone marrow edema? You probably have it too. Dude, I've never seen Magglio's knee. He probably doesn't even have a knee, man."

Flight #24
02-07-2005, 04:17 PM
To put a lot of stock into anything said is foolish, but yet some Tigers fans seem to be doing just that.

What's amazing to me is that they actually think the injury clause protects them....were they not paying any attention to Maggs/Boras behavior during the offseason? Do none of them know anything about BME and the fact that it's a degenerative condition (i.e. gets worse over time)?

You'd think there might just be a red flag or 2 in the fact that a supposedly healthy guy didn't work out for any team......or that no other team wanted to offer him anything close to 5 (or more) years. But no, Maggs is fine, and the Tigers have an ironclad out.

maurice
02-07-2005, 04:19 PM
http://www.kronishsports.com/images/Dusty%20Baker.jpg
"I don't see what the big deal is, dude. Everybody knows that tan-colored knees recover faster than lighter or darker knees. Hawk started all this mess anyway. That dude should be fired, dude."

Jjav829
02-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Ok, so who is TheRealPudge72 (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5658&perpage=40&pagenumber=2)? :D:

Jabroni
02-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Magg$' audio press conference is up at the Tigers official website...

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=det

Good God, they presented Magg$'s son and daughter, Magglio and Maggliana, during the press conference.

:chunks

By the way, how many times does Magg$ say, "I'm really exciting to be here." :tongue:

voodoochile
02-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Magg$' audio press conference is up at the Tigers official website...

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=det

Good God, they presented Magg$'s son and daughter, Magglio and Maggliana, during the press conference.

By the way, how many times does Magg$ say, "I'm really exciting to be here." :tongue:

I've never been impressed with people who can't think of someone more deserving to name their kids after than themself...

spawn
02-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Good God, they presented Magg's son and daughter, Magglio and Maggliana, during the press conference.

Maggliana? Are you kidding me?

petekat
02-07-2005, 07:53 PM
sounds like the Tigers just invested in Harold Baines, on the downside of his career (limited mobility, DH). Or maybe another Chet Lemon experience. Cant wait to revisit in 2007 when Les Tigres are shelling out the $18 mill. Too bad there's no diminished skills clause!

What's amazing to me is that they actually think the injury clause protects them....were they not paying any attention to Maggs/Boras behavior during the offseason? Do none of them know anything about BME and the fact that it's a degenerative condition (i.e. gets worse over time)?

You'd think there might just be a red flag or 2 in the fact that a supposedly healthy guy didn't work out for any team......or that no other team wanted to offer him anything close to 5 (or more) years. But no, Maggs is fine, and the Tigers have an ironclad out.

Unregistered
02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2476
"I am appee to play for uh... the... uh... Detroi Tiger. "
:tongue:

Jabroni
02-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Maggliana? Are you kidding me?Nope. Sad, isn't it? Here's a picture of Maggliana Ordonez...

http://img230.exs.cx/img230/6382/maggliana6co.jpg