PDA

View Full Version : Tigers and Maggs Close, 5 Years/75 Mil!

GiveMeSox
02-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Per rotoworld:

According to Newsday, the Tigers are close to signing Magglio Ordonez to a five-year, $75 million contract.

Gulp. If the report is true, the good news is that the deal is voidable if Ordonez spends a certain amount of time on the DL with a left knee injury. Still, $15 million per year through age 35? For a player who has never led the league in a major category (sac flies in 2000!) and has been helped by his home park throughout his career? That's just too much money.

JoseCanseco6969
02-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Per rotoworld:

According to Newsday, the Tigers are close to signing Magglio Ordonez to a five-year, $75 million contract.

Gulp. If the report is true, the good news is that the deal is voidable if Ordonez spends a certain amount of time on the DL with a left knee injury. Still, $15 million per year through age 35? For a player who has never led the league in a major category (sac flies in 2000!) and has been helped by his home park throughout his career? That's just too much money.

I think everyone agrees that even 5 years 50 million would be way to much for this gamble. Anyone think Detroit vs Sox ticket sales will go up if this happens?? Maybe they could add the Detroit games as prime dates along with the O's ones.

mdep524
02-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Per rotoworld:

This is ludicrous. Look out New York Mets, we have a new competitor in the fight for dumbest MLB franchise.

cubhater
02-05-2005, 01:36 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that Boras always finds a sucker owner. I wonder how much the Tigers bid against themselves?

mcfish
02-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Per rotoworld:

Gulp. If the report is true, the good news is that the deal is voidable if Ordonez spends a certain amount of time on the DL with a left knee injury. Still, $15 million per year through age 35? For a player who has never led the league in a major category (sac flies in 2000!) and has been helped by his home park throughout his career? That's just too much money.I think that this is way too much money considering his health concerns. But if he had never gotten hurt, the contract wouldn't be out of line. I can't believe that rotoworld is saying that he's not a valuable player because he has never led the league in a major category and that all of a sudden now they stress the home park factor. (IIRC, Magglio was just as good on the road with splits and the Cell wasn't the launching pad it is now for the entirety of his career.) Again, it's too much money and years, but only because of the injury, not the performance issues that rotoworld is trying to make up.

Chicago83
02-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Per rotoworld:

The only reason this deal is bad is if Mags is hurt. If not he deserves every penny of the money, despite not leading the league in a major category. Maggs is an all around player and a great hitter, he may not hit 40 HR, but he will give you 30 and .300. Now that Detroit has put in the injury clause this is not that bad of a deal. If Mags come back they have stolen an all-star from their division and have a star player for years. It's going to be weird seeing him wear a tigers uniform. Hopefully we will now be motivated to bet the Tigers who have given us trouble the past two years.

SABRSox
02-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Talk about financially crippling your franchise. I know Detroit thinks they need to overpay to get free agents to play for them, but this smacks of Detroit bidding against themselves, doesn't it? Hey, if they want to sink an insane amount of money into one player, I'm all for it. It just means they'll have less room to make moves down the road.

MrRoboto83
02-05-2005, 03:18 PM
This is nuts if Mags gets this kind of money $15 mil a year, that is risky, he is not worth that kind of money even if he came off a healthy year. There is no doubt no matter what he would of never been a sox again

Ol' No. 2
02-05-2005, 03:56 PM
This is nuts if Mags gets this kind of money $15 mil a year, that is risky, he is not worth that kind of money even if he came off a healthy year. There is no doubt no matter what he would of never been a sox againI'll give you five reasons Ordonez won't make any difference for the Tigers:

Maroth
Johnson
Robertson
Bonderman
Knotts

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 03:59 PM
I'll give you five reasons Ordonez won't make any difference for the Tigers:

Maroth
Johnson
Robertson
Bonderman
KnottsYou read my mind. Cheers! :gulp:

pearso66
02-05-2005, 04:01 PM

Maroth
Johnson
Robertson
Bonderman
Knotts

I think Maroth and Bonderman have the potential to be good, Bonderman of course more than Maroth. But if they are given good run support, I could see those 2 doing well. As for the other 3 well, who knows.

MIgrenade
02-05-2005, 04:04 PM
This has Juan Gonzalez written all over it. Mags is gonna be awful mad when his former homeruns are dying in that field.

marlins03
02-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Have fun with Pudge you both will enjoy a below .500 season

pearso66
02-05-2005, 04:11 PM
This has Juan Gonzalez written all over it. Mags is gonna be awful mad when his former homeruns are dying in that field.

Will he then demand that they move in the OF walls, and then void the rest of his contract, and leave the team?

Ol' No. 2
02-05-2005, 04:13 PM
I think Maroth and Bonderman have the potential to be good, Bonderman of course more than Maroth. But if they are given good run support, I could see those 2 doing well. As for the other 3 well, who knows.Maroth was the best of the bunch last year, putting up a 4.31 ERA...pitching half his games in Comerica (that's a 104 ERA+). Jon Garland (100 ERA+) would be the ace of the staff.

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Isn't the Tigers' payroll only $50 million? They are willing to risk paying $15 million a year to a guy with a bum knee? That's 30% of their entire payroll. What the hell is wrong with them? :?: Maggs could single-handedly screw the Tigers a la A-Rod and the Rangers.

champagne030
02-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Maroth was the best of the bunch last year, putting up a 4.31 ERA...pitching half his games in Comerica (that's a 104 ERA+). Jon Garland (100 ERA+) would be the ace of the staff.

not over bonderman. that kid (only 22) has electric stuff and without injury will be legit #1 soon. if contreras doesn't fix his problem of throwing 76 forkballs in a row i would take maroth over him too. at this point they cannot match our 1-3 starters.

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 04:32 PM
By the way, I wonder if that extra $5 million was really worth it to Maggs to alienate the Sox fans that loved him for 8 years and to leave a city that he supposedly loved. I guess it was.

samram
02-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Isn't the Tigers' payroll only $50 million? They are willing to risk paying $15 million a year to a guy with a bum knee? That's 30% of their entire payroll. What the hell is wrong with them? :?: Maggs could single-handedly screw the Tigers a la A-Rod and the Rangers.

I would liken it to Albert Belle signing with the Orioles. At least ARod played and posted MVP caliber numbers. Belle, who signed about a five-year deal with Baltimore, played 302 games with them, all in 1999 and 2000, and then didn't play from 2001-2003, but was still on their payroll, basically taking them out of the free agent market during that time.

Ol' No. 2
02-05-2005, 04:33 PM
not over bonderman. that kid (only 22) has electric stuff and without injury will be legit #1 soon. if contreras doesn't fix his problem of throwing 76 forkballs in a row i would take maroth over him too. at this point they cannot match our 1-3 starters.How come everybody salivates over other team's crappy players because they have great potential, but when our young guys struggle a little, we can't wait to get rid of them?:?:

SomebodyToldMe
02-05-2005, 04:44 PM
How come everybody salivates over other team's crappy players because they have great potential, but when our young guys struggle a little, we can't wait to get rid of them?:?:

Man I wish there was a standing ovation smilie because that was a great post.

I like our young pitchers, Felix Diaz especially. I like what I saw from the kid, especially in that cubs game that he won.

You'd think that because they're on other teams, you wouldn't like them. But it's actually reversed.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Here's the most insane thing about the deal...Maggs is getting more than what Vlad got last year from the angels(5 years, 70 million). I don't understand how Scott Boras does it...

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 04:48 PM
How come everybody salivates over other team's crappy players because they have great potential, but when our young guys struggle a little, we can't wait to get rid of them?:?:The grass is always greener...

champagne030
02-05-2005, 04:49 PM
How come everybody salivates over other team's crappy players because they have great potential, but when our young guys struggle a little, we can't wait to get rid of them?:?:

bonderman is not crappy and i'm not salivating about his potential. he's already got fantastic stuff and his numbers are not bad. maroth is kind of crappy, but then again, so is contreras. yes, i would take bonderman over garland right now, regardless of potential. i don't feel that i'm dissing jg with this statement....i just think bonderman is that good.

samram
02-05-2005, 04:50 PM

I'm trying to think of a definite answer and I can't. One thing may be that people hear about how great some prospects on other teams are supposed to be, but don't see the five inning, 10 hit, five run performances, but they do see Sox players go through their struggles, and assume they'll never get better.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-05-2005, 04:59 PM
5 years/$75 million for an outfielder with a knee resembling Hamburger Helper? Here's three things I want to happen if this true.

1.) Somebody post what a "bargain" Detroit is getting.
2.) Somebody post how "reasonable" Boras is to reduce his price from 7 years to just 5.
3.) Somebody to start a 200+ post thread about ideas for booing/cheering Magglio his first trip back to the Cell.

Here's my idea. "Bring out the Gimp" Night.
:cool:

http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Pulp_Fiction_Gimp_link.jpg
"The Gimp is sleeping."

:maggs
"Well I guess you'll just have to wake him up, now won't you?"

santo=dorf
02-05-2005, 05:02 PM
I think I just heard Lip call dibs on #2 PHG.

HoustonAstros967
02-05-2005, 05:04 PM
This is ludicrous. Look out New York Mets, we have a new competitor in the fight for dumbest MLB franchise.

The Mets made some stupid moves this offseason moneywise but at least the guaranteed talent was there with carlos and pedro. Over paying is one thing (benson) but overpaying someone who may not be in peak shape is another. The tigers are idiots. He is gonna get hurt if he trys to play the field and i see all his numbers going down.

Corlose 15
02-05-2005, 05:08 PM
What this really shows is how cheap the Sox are. I mean, if they'd just have ponied up $5 million over the fives years they'd have Maggs. Sell Jerry Sell!!!!

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 05:08 PM
I think I just heard Lip call dibs on #2 PHG.:)

California Sox
02-05-2005, 05:20 PM

Maroth
Johnson
Robertson
Bonderman
Knotts

4 out of 5 ain't bad. Bonderman has a chance to be a stud.

FightingBillini
02-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Here is why this went down. Last night, the Tigers owner Mike Ilitch and GM Dave Dombrowski were sitting around talking about the team, when an old friend paid them a visit:

:bong:
5 hours of smoking later...

<Dombrowski> "Dude, lets take $75mil and light it on fire. Hahaha."

<Ilitch> "I've got a better idea, lets blow it all on QVC."

<Dombrowski> "Well, there's got to be something we could blow $75mil on other than more weed."

<Ilitch> "Well, we could sign Ordonez."

<Dombrowski> "Hahaha, DUDE!! You are awesome. He wasnt even worth that when he was healthy! Haha, good call. Oh, hey Scott."

:borass:
"Gentelmen, I see you liked the weed. Lets talk."

Erik The Red
02-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Goodbye and good riddance, Maggs.