PDA

View Full Version : Dave Wills going to TB

hose
02-05-2005, 09:18 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd3.htm

This has already been covered but here is a link.

Does anyone have a email address for Willsy? I looked at espnam1000.com but didn't see any. I would like to send Dave a congratulations message and wish him good luck.

alohafri
02-05-2005, 10:50 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd3.htm

This has already been covered but here is a link.

Does anyone have a email address for Willsy? I looked at espnam1000.com but didn't see any. I would like to send Dave a congratulations message and wish him good luck.

Dave said that he was still going to lurk this board, so I'm sure he will eventually see your message (but filling his email in box with well wishes would be a nice sendoff).

Brian26
02-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Does anyone have a email address for Willsy?

Willsy posted here a few days ago. Do your homework...and you should be able to contact him.

Wsoxmike59
02-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Good luck and the Best of Wishes to you Dave. Chicago's loss is Tampa Bay's gain. I know you'll do a fine job for the D'Rays.

I've been fortunate enough to have met Dave Wills a few times and he has been nothing but cordial, professional and friendly to me and his listening audience. He's really a great guy and he loves the White Sox and talking baseball with the fans.

Last year Dave came out to one of our fan club meetings to talk White Sox baseball with the members of Sox Fans On Deck. I brought along a baseball and baseball card of Bill Melton as it was rumored he was going to be there too. Unfortunately Bill couldn't make it, so Dave Wills took my Melton memorabilia with him and got it autographed for me the next day!

There's no better feeling in the world than, on a summer evening to be coming home from a winning Sox game and listening to Willsy take calls from the Wsox faithful on the post game show. He and Beltin' Bill Melton made quite a team. I will really miss their insight and camradarie on the air.

P.S. Dave the offer still stands for lunch at the Patio or the Pit with myself and Mr. Brennan (The Gray Flamingo) before you head off to the warmer climes of sunny Fla.

Wsoxmike59

DMarte708
02-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Where exactly is Wills thread from several days ago?

I've attempted to search for it, but have come up empty. Interested in reading his responses to fans.

santo=dorf
02-05-2005, 03:02 PM
It must've been deleted, and dave's user name isn't listed in the members list. :?:

DMarte708
02-05-2005, 03:06 PM
It must've been deleted, and dave's user name isn't listed in the members list. :?:

I'm betting some member complained "it's inappropriate for this thread to exist" and the dominoes fell accordingly.

Too bad, it would have been nice to sticky for members to read.

FightingBillini
02-05-2005, 03:06 PM
What was his user name? I dont know if I saw him or not. I know he always lurked, but I didnt think he ever posted.

santo=dorf
02-05-2005, 03:16 PM
What was his user name? I dont know if I saw him or not. I know he always lurked, but I didnt think he ever posted.
Bump34

FightingBillini
02-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm betting some member complained "it's inappropriate for this thread to exist" and the dominoes fell accordingly.

Too bad, it would have been nice to sticky for members to read.

Well, they never delete threads, they just lock them and take away search properties.

Chicago83
02-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Listening to the sox on the radio just won't be the same anymore. Does anyone have an idea who is taking over the pre and post game shows?

Hopefully some day soon we will hear Hawk and Willsy doing sox TV.

BigFrankRetard
02-05-2005, 03:48 PM
So, we won't be hearing the famous "Neeeeexxxxxt!" anymore? :(:

Jerome
02-05-2005, 06:43 PM
BRING ON DiFALCO

It was always a pleasure to listen to Dave and Melton in rain delay theatre. Although Dave at times was a little too media-biasy for me in some of his rants, I loved listening to his passion for the Sox. He was a pretty smart baseball guy too.

My favorite part of Willsy though was his grounded opinion of the team. In april if the Sox were hot and the fans would always call up on the postgame saying "we're going to the WS" or in July they're struggling and "We suck. It starts up top with JR and goes down to KW. We need to make a change."

With Willsy, things were never as bad or as good as they seemed.

Good luck with Tampa Bay Dave. Hopefully you're not calling too many losing ballgames.

Lip Man 1
02-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Bring on Les Grobstein!

Lip

Brian26
02-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Bring on Les Grobstein!

Lip

:?:

I respect Les for his longevity and his sports knowledge. The guy's an encyclopedia. But, isn't he pretty much a self-professed scrubs-fan? I don't want his ass anywhere near my pre and post on the radio.

hose
02-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Willsy posted here a few days ago. Do your homework...and you should be able to contact him.

That thread is on the home page but is not accessible teach.

Brian26
02-05-2005, 07:16 PM
That thread is on the home page but is not accessible teach.

My apologies. I don't know the reasoning for it being removed...I can only speculate, which I won't do here. Sorry about my comment.

Ishmookie
02-05-2005, 07:18 PM
I always have enjoyed listening to Dave. He is truly one of my favorite radio personalities. I especially enjoyed his disdain of the Cubs, it was always fun to listen after we crushed them at the shrine, or won on a walk off shot. Dave I will truly miss you. Hope you are a hit with the D-Rays fans and see you back in Chicago soon.

32nd&Wallace
02-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Dumb question - but is Dave going to live in TB year round? A lot of announcers make their off-season home in places far from where they call games from (Ed Farmer - CA, Hawk - Fla, Steve Stone - Az). I know those off-season homes are warm places, but as a Chicagoan, if I were given this opportunity, I would try to make it back to the autuman and winter.

Brian26
02-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Dumb question - but is Dave going to live in TB year round? A lot of announcers make their off-season home in places far from where they call games from (Ed Farmer - CA, Hawk - Fla, Steve Stone - Az). I know those off-season homes are warm places, but as a Chicagoan, if I were given this opportunity, I would try to make it back to the autuman and winter.

I read today Willsy wants to continue to do his Notre Dame show and UIC play by play. I don't see how the ND thing would be possible at the end of the summer.

tacosalbarojas
02-06-2005, 11:38 PM
BRING ON DiFALCO

I thought it would be Carmen too, but now that I think about it again, DeFalco does the Bulls pre and post too, and that might present some conflicts. Nothing they couldn't work around though, and I'm sure Carmen would love to do it. I like Carmen a lot, so I hope it's him. What about Julie Swieca? She's a Sox fan, and she's sitting around out of the business at present, I think.

Lip Man 1
02-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Brian:

Les has impressed a number of folks on this site for his honesty and his preperation. I'd assume that is exactly what is needed especially with the opinions of many that members of the media are lazy.

Lip

tacosalbarojas
02-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Brian:

Les has impressed a number of folks on this site for his honesty and his preperation. I'd assume that is exactly what is needed especially with the opinions of many that members of the media are lazy.

Lip
Les is a stat freak, and has intelligence in that vein, no doubt. However, I have listened to way too many hours of him on the radio, and he is a huge cub guy. I would hope there's no way he'd consider taking the SOX job - he's just too cub-centric. In fact, I'm surprised he hasn't caught on with WGN on the radio yet since his dismissal from the last station he was at - either as a fill-in sports talk host or some sort of radio broadcasting fill-in for the cubs. Of course, they might be afriad of him trying to get freebies for his girlfriend at the all-star game like he did a few years ago (which is what got him fired).

ND_Sox_Fan
02-06-2005, 11:59 PM
I read today Willsy wants to continue to do his Notre Dame show and UIC play by play. I don't see how the ND thing would be possible at the end of the summer.

That's what they said about Charlie Weis too.... Where there's a will, there's a way.

The Critic
02-07-2005, 04:50 AM
IMHO, Carmen DeFalco would be a huge upgrade over Dave Wills.
I really enjoy DeFalco whenever I hear him, and I could never say the same about Wills.
I hope the Sox and WMVP choose Carm for the pre and post gig.

Brian26
02-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Brian:

Lip

Hey, I never said I didn't like the guy. I said he was an encyclopedia of Chicago sports history. I just don't want his cubbie-loving ass anywhere near the Sox pre and post on the radio. Case closed.

ChicagoHoosier
02-07-2005, 11:18 AM
What about Julie Swieca? She's a Sox fan, and she's sitting around out of the business at present, I think.

I agree that Juilie Swieca would be a decent fit too and she brings a lot of energy to her reports and broadcasts. Haven't heard her in a full-time role as we're discussing in this thread, but that could be a good fit. Do you guys think that ESPN 1000 will simply fill the slot from within, or do you think they may go outside and bring someone like Swieca in?

According to this link, she may still be under contract, so maybe not even an option. Also, the author of this link doesn't appear to think she's a good reporter.

http://www.desipio.com/index.php?p=449

Lip Man 1
02-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Taco:

I think if you read this you will get a better idea of what exactly transpired to result in Les getting fired. This is from his interview with WSI. Apparently the person in question was not his 'girl friend' since she took her husband with her to the All Star party...

"LG: "Well from there I went to WLUP which became WMVP. Among the folks I worked with was Jay Mariotti who was there from July through November 1994. In fact Jay asked to work with me. Things were going pretty good until the station decided to start airing 'the Fabulous Sports Babe' show. I knew that wouldn’t work and would kill the station. I remember speaking with GM Larry Wert who ran things, in the hallway and saying ‘you just signed our death warrant.’ Needless to say he didn’t particularly appreciate that."
"Then I did the overnight show at WSCR. I enjoyed that, got a lot of positive feedback but from the moment it was announced that I was joining that station, Harvey Wells just didn’t like me. We were at a party and he came up to me and said ‘I just want you to know that you’re coming here because a lot of others here wanted you.’ Then he walked away."

"There were some things that happened which didn’t help matters. When the Bears played that pre season game in Ireland, it was decided that I’d go. It was a complete trade out, the station wasn’t paying for a thing. I was just going to do some interviews and send them back but then we looked into how much would it cost to actually do the overnight show from Ireland. That was the time when I was able to get Dave Wannstadt live because of the time difference. It was like 9AM in Ireland and 3AM in Chicago. It turned out that A.T. & T. said to get a line for that amount of time would run about 100 dollars a day. Six hundred bucks overall. No problem... so we did it."

"When the bill came Wells came up to me and said ‘what is this?’ The bill charged us six thousand dollars. I told him that was a mistake and that if he’d wanted to give it to me I’d straighten it out. He said he’d handle it. I ended up questioning A T & T. A week passed. I see him and ask if it’s been corrected. He said no. Another three or four days pass and I ask him again. He said no and added ‘don’t ask me about this again, when it’s done I’ll let you know.’ Finally about a week after that I see him, ask him again about it and he says ‘yes that was taken care of three or four days ago.’ We were actually comped--no charge at all. Thanks a lot for letting me know Harvey!"

"During the 2001 All Star Game I’m supposed to go out to Seattle... cover the game and talk to the Chicago representatives, Maggs Ordonez, Sammy Sosa and Jon Leiber. Then I’m supposed to go to our affiliate and do my show. Well I was told to get credentials for two people in case the station decided to send along another reporter. I asked our acting Program Director Jeff Schwartz who's name should go on the 2nd one. He said put whom ever I thought deserved to go. I had someone in mind but didn't tell that reporter because this was someone with a big temper who is immature, so I didn't tell that person in case they decided not to send a 2nd one. It turned out I was the only one sent."

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/images/les2.jpg
Announcing the Bulls' #1 draft pick in 1978... it's Reggie Theus of UNLV!

"So I go to the game and realize when I get there that with baseball honoring Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn and with Fox Sports being allowed additional commercial minutes there is no way I can do post game interviews and get out to the station to do my show. It was probably a forty, forty five minute drive. So I contact a person who helped us in the past and asked if she wanted to do the post game interviews. She said sure so I gave her that 2nd credential. I went to the credential pickup window at Safeco Field and told the woman there I needed to change the name on the pass. They said that since the pass was still being used on behalf of the station, no change was needed, and rememeber, this was before 9/11 so there were no photos on baseball credentials like there are now. I saw the game and went to do my show. She brought me the interview tape and since I couldn’t go, I asked if she wanted to go to the party afterwards, to have a drink, take her husband and have a nice time."

"She goes to the party and the credential was in the pocket of a jacket that she accidentally left there. A person found it, saw that it was my credential and sent it back to the other reporter back in Chicago. That person went nuts, never bothered to ask me what was up or anything like that--just went to Wells and screamed."

"On July 25, 2001 I have a meeting with Wells and he tells me that I’m being suspended with pay while he conducts an investigation because I may have broken rules concerning giving this press credential away. I explained what happened and he said he’d look into it. A short time later he wants to see me so I go into his office and he tells me that I’m fired. This was a set up all along, he was looking for an excuse to get rid of me. My contract expired in three days so I knew what this was all about. I told him ‘look let’s just part company as gentleman’ he said no... he was going to go to the newspapers with this and I said fine. After he told the papers, one of the reporters printed my e-mail address and I got fourteen hundred e-mails. Only one was from a guy who said ‘you suck, you got what you deserve.’"

"The day after I was let go by the Score, Mitch Rosen called me up and had me in his office the same day. We talked about several things. I also met with John Cravens of The Sporting News Radio network the day after that. Both made great offers, but the one from WCSN was full time so I went there in April 2002 and stayed until October when Cravens resigned and The Sporting News dropped the local stuff I was doing. I let Mitch know about it and he had me and Tommy Williams on ESPN Radio 1000 in less then two weeks."

Lip

harwar
02-07-2005, 03:24 PM
What about Julie Swieca? She's a Sox fan, and she's sitting around out of the business at present, I think.

One thing about Julie is that she grew up a White Sox fan and still lives to go to their games.
The last i talked to her(late last season) she was still under contract for quite some time.
Also,as for her leaving,she wasn't treated as an equal to the rest of the guys there.
I think that once she took over that late night slot that she stood up pretty well against the tirade of obnoxious cub fans that called in every night to attack her just because she was a White Sox fan and a female sports radio host.
Now,as far as i'm concerned,NO ONE can replace Dave Wills.All i ask is that whoever takes over is as dedicated to the White Sox as he was.

tacosalbarojas
02-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Taco:

I think if you read this you will get a better idea of what exactly transpired to result in Les getting fired. This is from his interview with WSI. Apparently the person in question was not his 'girl friend' since she took her husband with her to the All Star party...

"LG: "Well from there I went to WLUP which became WMVP. Among the folks I worked with was Jay Mariotti who was there from July through November 1994. In fact Jay asked to work with me. Things were going pretty good until the station decided to start airing 'the Fabulous Sports Babe' show. I knew that wouldn’t work and would kill the station. I remember speaking with GM Larry Wert who ran things, in the hallway and saying ‘you just signed our death warrant.’ Needless to say he didn’t particularly appreciate that."
"Then I did the overnight show at WSCR. I enjoyed that, got a lot of positive feedback but from the moment it was announced that I was joining that station, Harvey Wells just didn’t like me. We were at a party and he came up to me and said ‘I just want you to know that you’re coming here because a lot of others here wanted you.’ Then he walked away."

"There were some things that happened which didn’t help matters. When the Bears played that pre season game in Ireland, it was decided that I’d go. It was a complete trade out, the station wasn’t paying for a thing. I was just going to do some interviews and send them back but then we looked into how much would it cost to actually do the overnight show from Ireland. That was the time when I was able to get Dave Wannstadt live because of the time difference. It was like 9AM in Ireland and 3AM in Chicago. It turned out that A.T. & T. said to get a line for that amount of time would run about 100 dollars a day. Six hundred bucks overall. No problem... so we did it."

"When the bill came Wells came up to me and said ‘what is this?’ The bill charged us six thousand dollars. I told him that was a mistake and that if he’d wanted to give it to me I’d straighten it out. He said he’d handle it. I ended up questioning A T & T. A week passed. I see him and ask if it’s been corrected. He said no. Another three or four days pass and I ask him again. He said no and added ‘don’t ask me about this again, when it’s done I’ll let you know.’ Finally about a week after that I see him, ask him again about it and he says ‘yes that was taken care of three or four days ago.’ We were actually comped--no charge at all. Thanks a lot for letting me know Harvey!"

"During the 2001 All Star Game I’m supposed to go out to Seattle... cover the game and talk to the Chicago representatives, Maggs Ordonez, Sammy Sosa and Jon Leiber. Then I’m supposed to go to our affiliate and do my show. Well I was told to get credentials for two people in case the station decided to send along another reporter. I asked our acting Program Director Jeff Schwartz who's name should go on the 2nd one. He said put whom ever I thought deserved to go. I had someone in mind but didn't tell that reporter because this was someone with a big temper who is immature, so I didn't tell that person in case they decided not to send a 2nd one. It turned out I was the only one sent."

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/images/les2.jpg
Announcing the Bulls' #1 draft pick in 1978... it's Reggie Theus of UNLV!

"So I go to the game and realize when I get there that with baseball honoring Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn and with Fox Sports being allowed additional commercial minutes there is no way I can do post game interviews and get out to the station to do my show. It was probably a forty, forty five minute drive. So I contact a person who helped us in the past and asked if she wanted to do the post game interviews. She said sure so I gave her that 2nd credential. I went to the credential pickup window at Safeco Field and told the woman there I needed to change the name on the pass. They said that since the pass was still being used on behalf of the station, no change was needed, and rememeber, this was before 9/11 so there were no photos on baseball credentials like there are now. I saw the game and went to do my show. She brought me the interview tape and since I couldn’t go, I asked if she wanted to go to the party afterwards, to have a drink, take her husband and have a nice time."

"She goes to the party and the credential was in the pocket of a jacket that she accidentally left there. A person found it, saw that it was my credential and sent it back to the other reporter back in Chicago. That person went nuts, never bothered to ask me what was up or anything like that--just went to Wells and screamed."

"On July 25, 2001 I have a meeting with Wells and he tells me that I’m being suspended with pay while he conducts an investigation because I may have broken rules concerning giving this press credential away. I explained what happened and he said he’d look into it. A short time later he wants to see me so I go into his office and he tells me that I’m fired. This was a set up all along, he was looking for an excuse to get rid of me. My contract expired in three days so I knew what this was all about. I told him ‘look let’s just part company as gentleman’ he said no... he was going to go to the newspapers with this and I said fine. After he told the papers, one of the reporters printed my e-mail address and I got fourteen hundred e-mails. Only one was from a guy who said ‘you suck, you got what you deserve.’"

"The day after I was let go by the Score, Mitch Rosen called me up and had me in his office the same day. We talked about several things. I also met with John Cravens of The Sporting News Radio network the day after that. Both made great offers, but the one from WCSN was full time so I went there in April 2002 and stayed until October when Cravens resigned and The Sporting News dropped the local stuff I was doing. I let Mitch know about it and he had me and Tommy Williams on ESPN Radio 1000 in less then two weeks."

LipThanks for the details here, Lip. Admittedly this happened a while ago, and I wasn't entirely sure about the particulars anymore. Regardless of where the truth lies here with his dismissal, I still don't see Les taking this job, nor would I want him. He'd probably have Buehrle to the Cubs for Todd Hollandsworth in two weeks. His knowledge base is amazing...I'll never take that away from him, but if he's genuine as I think he is, he wouldn't come within 10,000 feet of this job.

tacosalbarojas
02-07-2005, 05:14 PM
One thing about Julie is that she grew up a White Sox fan and still lives to go to their games.
The last i talked to her(late last season) she was still under contract for quite some time.
Also,as for her leaving,she wasn't treated as an equal to the rest of the guys there.
I think that once she took over that late night slot that she stood up pretty well against the tirade of obnoxious cub fans that called in every night to attack her just because she was a White Sox fan and a female sports radio host.
Now,as far as i'm concerned,NO ONE can replace Dave Wills.All i ask is that whoever takes over is as dedicated to the White Sox as he was.So, she's under contract and unable to work anywhere else, until the deal expires? That's too bad. It's really too bad because she was one of the few radio hosts that would let callers finish their thoughts.

Corkinator
02-07-2005, 05:46 PM
I live in Tampa, after moving from Chicago 6 years ago, and the radio announcers they have had here are the sure cure for insomnia. Someone tell about Dave Wills. No matter what, I know he will be a steo up.

S-SideTrifecta
02-07-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm going to miss you Dave, wish you nothing but the best in TB, hopefully you can continue to move up from there! My first post is dedicated to you buddy!

duke of dorwood
02-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Is he being replaced with speed too?

Brian26
02-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Is he being replaced with speed too?

LOL! Great line. :D: