PDA

View Full Version : Most despised player(s)?

SOX ADDICT '73
02-05-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm sure a thread like this has made the rounds before, but I'm curious as to which player(s) on opposing teams you dislike the most, and for what reason(s). It can be because of attitude, a comment made, a particular play, cheating, bad behavior away from the baseball field, or just the fact that they constantly kick our butts.
Me, I'm finding it harder and harder to tolerate Ronnie Belliard of the Indians. From the sloppy way he wears his uniform (crooked hat, untucked jersey), to that stupid, punk-a** look on his face, to the fact that he always lit up the Sox last season (6 of his 12 HR came against us), I just can't stand the sight of him.
Running a close second is Bobby Kielty, but only because of the success-against-the-Sox factor. It doesn't seem to matter what team he plays for (Twins, Jays, or Athletics), he always comes up with the big hit to kill us. I remember watching him hit an extra-inning home run for Oakland last year and thinking, "Oh Jesus, not this freakin' guy AGAIN!"

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 03:13 AM
Bobby Higginson. Although most people will say Torii Hunter.

Cubbiesuck13
02-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Robert Fick and Manny Ramirez

SomebodyToldMe
02-05-2005, 03:32 AM
Carlos Zambrano. I can't stand his attitude. And I'll stop the explanation there before I get banned.

FightingBillini
02-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Torrii "I have a woman's name and I can't even spell it right" Hunter.

or should it be

Torrii "I play gread defense, but I am one of the most overrated players in the game because I'm a career .267 hitter, and I am a cocky prick that cheapshots catchers and then starts fights with fans and then claims that Pine Bluff, Arkansas is the 'hood', and I wear my hat sideways because I have no respect for the game" Hunter

Did I mention that he is the glorified centerfield version of Rey Sanchez? Hunter kills Sox pitching, but so do countless other mediocre players. If not for ESPN's love affair with the Twins, Hunter wouldn't be a national name. He is a grade A jag.

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 04:32 AM

or should it be

Torrii "I play gread defense, but I am one of the most overrated players in the game because I'm a career .267 hitter, and I am a cocky prick that cheapshots catchers and then starts fights with fans and then claims that Pine Bluff, Arkansas is the 'hood', and I wear my hat sideways because I have no respect for the game" Hunter

Did I mention that he is the glorified centerfield version of Rey Sanchez? Hunter kills Sox pitching, but so do countless other mediocre players. If not for ESPN's love affair with the Twins, Hunter wouldn't be a national name. He is a grade A jag.It's actually spelled Torii but I agree with your sentiment. :wink:

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-05-2005, 04:40 AM
To mention someone not already listed, Jason Juicin' Giambi. He won the MVP in 2000 over Thomas :angry:. Then in 2004 he shows up 15 pounds lighter to ST for the Yankees, claiming to have lost the weight by working out. 8 months later, he admits to using the juice after denying it for so long.

Cubbiesuck13
02-05-2005, 04:52 AM

or should it be

Did I mention that he is the glorified centerfield version of Rey Sanchez? Hunter kills Sox pitching, but so do countless other mediocre players. If not for ESPN's love affair with the Twins, Hunter wouldn't be a national name. He is a grade A jag.

I hope that is the anger talking. Hunter is a national name because he is a great deffensive player on a team that has won their division 3 straight times. He may be a grade A jag but i wouldn't call him overrated.

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 04:58 AM
I hope that is the anger talking. Hunter is a national name because he is a great deffensive player on a team that has won their division 3 straight times. He may be a grade A jag but i wouldn't call him overrated.His glove is great but his offense is definately overrated...

Torii Hunter (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5884)
.267 career AVG
.319 career OBP
.459 career SLG
.778 career OPS

Cubbiesuck13
02-05-2005, 05:05 AM
His glove is great but his offense is definately overrated...

Torii Hunter (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5884)
.267 career AVG
.319 career OBP
.459 career SLG
.778 career OPS

How is his offense overrated? I have never heard anyone talk about how great his bat is. He is an average hitter with great D.

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 05:17 AM
How is his offense overrated? I have never heard anyone talk about how great his bat is. He is an average hitter with great D.Agreed. I just think that many people out there believe he is a great "all-around" player when he is truly great with the glove but mediocre with the stick.

Cubbiesuck13
02-05-2005, 05:28 AM
Agreed. I just think that many people out there believe he is a great "all-around" player when he is truly great with the glove but mediocre with the stick.

Up until the hot stove article about him being exciting to watch run the bases, I never heard anything about him besides his glove.

fquaye149
02-05-2005, 06:29 AM
most hated? dougie doug mientkiewicz. Runs his mouth off when he should just keep his trap shut. Went after a royals pitcher, but then against the Sox was afraid to step up to the plate because he knew he'd be thrown at.

The only redeeming factor is the red sox ball thing, which i thought was kind of funny.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-05-2005, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't use the word "despise" to describe it, but the first player I thought of was Kyle "Big Top" Lohse. I love it when Farmer starts ripping him for his cap size.

:farmer
"Just don't get me started about the Canadian national anthem!"

Doug Meineksioierjuieksz would probably make the list, too.

:cool:

eastchicagosoxfan
02-05-2005, 09:05 AM
In chronological order ( sort of ) for my lifetime:
Reggie Jackson ( Sosa with titles )
Rick Dempsey ( .230 hitter but .850 against the Sox, higher with runners in scoring position )
Amos Otis
U.L Washington
Hal Macrae
Pat Tabler or Scottie Fletcher with the bases loaded
Dave Stewart
Jose Canseco
Albert Belle ( I didn't like him when he played for the Sox either )
Roberto Alomar ( only pro wrestlers spit at people )
Barry Bonds ( I wasn't a fan before, when he was a flake, now he's a deflated flake )
Deon Sanders
Sammy Sosa
Joel Mays
Jason Giambi

Anybody who does extremely well against the Sox

spawn
02-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Jose Lima. I can't wait until the Sox rough him up.

marlins03
02-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Chipper Jones most hated player ever
oh yea and Mike Hampton too

Tom~Attitude
02-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Top of the "Jerk List"...Nolan Ryan!

BigEdWalsh
02-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Sammy has to be numero uno.
Albert Belle, number 2. Man, it was hard liking him when he was with the Sox.
Ron Santo, number 3.
I hate Ronnie Belliard and Sabathia for their stupid crooked hats.
Most of the rest for some odd reason are home run hitters. McGwire, Bonds, Reggie Jackson, Giambi, Killebrew, Eddie Murray (god he used to kill the Sox), to name a few.
Pitchers, Al Hrbowski (sp?), Jim "Mudcat" Grant, Dick Radatz, Joe Mays, Bert Blyleven, Juan Marichal, Luis Tiant.
Most everyone who has ever been a Cub. Though I must admit, Ernie Banks was a likeable guy.
I HATED Don Kessinger until he came to our side.

Edit: Just read another entry...how could I forget Nolan Ryan?!

ND_Sox_Fan
02-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Barry Lamar Bonds - his utter disrespect for the game itself is sickening

Pedro Martinez - attitude, mouth, Don Zimmer, hair, and the list goes on

Manny Ramirez - lack of respect for the game, attitude, sloppy uniform (I agree with Roberts too)

CC Sabathia - stop wearing pajamas to pitch

eastchicagosoxfan
02-05-2005, 11:24 AM
And here I thought I was alone in my dislike for Chipper Jones.

mdep524
02-05-2005, 11:31 AM
I second this. I really despise Lima.

And of course the usual suspects: Sammy, Fick, Torii...

SOX ADDICT '73
02-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Top of the "Jerk List"...Nolan Ryan!
You must've really enjoyed it when Ventura rushed the mound and kicked Ryan's a**!:wink:

SOX ADDICT '73
02-05-2005, 11:34 AM
CC Sabathia - stop wearing pajamas to pitch
LMAO!

zach074
02-05-2005, 11:49 AM
A.J. Pierzynski i guess I will have to learn to like him, but its not going to be easy.

wsoxfan
02-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Carlos "I need to celebrate after every pitch" Zambrano.....I despise him :angry:

HoustonAstros967
02-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Robert Fick and Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez?!? why?

HoustonAstros967
02-05-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm gonna say pedro. Hes getting older and hes getting worse but he still thinks he has the right to trash pitchers who are better than him. In his prime he could talk all the smack he wanted but not now when there are pitchers who are definitely better than him. (Curt Shilling)

MUsoxfan
02-05-2005, 12:43 PM
1. Santo
2. Sosa
3. Bonds
4. C. Zambrano
5. Mientkiewicz
6. Sabathia
7. Hunter

marlins03
02-05-2005, 12:46 PM
And here I thought I was alone in my dislike for Chipper Jones.
Your not alone :)

NonetheLoaiza
02-05-2005, 12:50 PM
zambrano and higginson.

depy48
02-05-2005, 01:00 PM
luis rivas, carlos zambrano

JGarlandrules20
02-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Torii Hunter gets my vote.

How I hate him so...

Wsoxmike59
02-05-2005, 01:23 PM
1) Joey Albert Belle at the top of my jerk list. His constant antics grew old and tiresome....(throwing baseballs at fans, getting a milestone HR ball back from a fan and then refusing to give him an autograph in exchange!!) but when he went off on NBC's Hannah Storm with a tirade of obscenities for conducting an interview in front of the Cle dugout, I wanted to see Joey Belle get his ass kicked by Hannah's co-workers! I despise him the most.

2) Ben Christiansen draftee of the Cubs. For his beaning of Anthony Molina in the on deck circle before the start of a collegiate game. Christiansen ended Molina's career. To Ben...if you ever read this.....I wish what happened to Dave Dravecky's pitching arm....HAPPENS TO YOU!!!!! I despise you too!!!!

3) Sosa and Bonds......tied for 3rd in my book due to the shadowy nature of their ever changing physical appearance and how they skewed the record books for all time with their alledged chemically enhanced HR records.

4) Jason Bere. When Jason severed his tie to the White Sox, he and his agent acted as unprofessional as it can get to earn a trade out of town. I was willing to pack his bags and buy his one way bus ticket outta here.

5) Phil Garner (as manager only) His beanball war tactics that he starts with the White Sox are chicken sh*t. I only wish he'd play 1 more game as a player and come to bat against the Sox.

Chrisaway
02-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Payrod-greedy
Jason Giambi-roids
Sammy Sosa-roids
Barry Bonds-roids
Torii Hunter-cocky

MrRoboto83
02-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't like Hunter or Jaque Jones, I also hate Zambrano, I take joy when he gets all mad. You know I pretty much hate anyone on the Dusto-Flubs

JUribe1989
02-05-2005, 04:32 PM
I hate Torii Hunter so much I can't even put it in to words!

ChiSoxRowand
02-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Derek Jeter
Carlos Zambrano (especially after the crap he pulled against st. Louis last year)
Kerry Wood
Sammy Sosa

flo-B-flo
02-05-2005, 05:51 PM
David Whales
Reggie Jackson (he started all that stare at my homer crap)
Deon Sanders--in any sport
Roger Clemons--big talent - huge self important jerk
anybody who puts himself before the team
Hal Macrae - I respected him though
sidebar: Sweet banner.

California Sox
02-05-2005, 06:16 PM

You can tell an NL fan because they all hate Chipper Jones. All of them. I think even Atlanta fans secretly hate him. I don't get it. I've never thought he was that bad. Hey, he's willing to take less money so his team can sign Tim Hudson. Sounds good to me.

Least favorite players? In the "kills the Sox division" I'll take Carlos Guillen. I am sick of him whupping are a**es! In the non-"kills the Sox" division I'll take Brett Boone. He's hot and cold against us like he is with everybody else, but I have never liked him. He seems like a jag.

OurBitchinMinny
02-05-2005, 11:22 PM
sosa (far and away #1), mienkietwicz, jeter (maybe the most overrated player ever)...i also hated AJ. Lets see if he can change my mind.

StillMissOzzie
02-06-2005, 12:28 AM
4) Jason Bere. When Jason severed his tie to the White Sox, he and his agent acted as unprofessional as it can get to earn a trade out of town. I was willing to pack his bags and buy his one way bus ticket outta here.

Could you refresh my memory on this?

SMO
:?:

SOX ADDICT '73
02-06-2005, 01:06 AM
Did anyone else notice that the other Dodgers more or less ignored Lima last year whenever they had something to celebrate (clinching their division, even when he shut out the Cards in the NLDS)? This guy thinks he's got the market cornered on "enthusiasm." It looked more to me like his teammates wanted nothing to do with his stupid antics.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Brett Boone. He's hot and cold against us like he is with everybody else, but I have never liked him. He seems like a jag.
This guy was in the booth when his little brother Aaron (who seems likeable) hit the home run that put the Yank-mees in the 2003 World Series. The place was up for grabs, but all you heard from Brett Boone was a handful of mumbled comments. Instead of being ecstatic for his brother, he sounded more like a jealous little baby.
I also can't stand seeing his "Booney Bat Flip." It was hilarious when he got shut out in the Home Run Derby a few years ago!:D:

chisox117
02-06-2005, 03:31 AM
I also can't stand seeing his "Booney Bat Toss." It was hilarious when he got shut out in the Home Run Derby a few years ago!:D:
The bat flipping drives me crazy too! :angry: I'm surprised he doesn't get hit by more pitches. He's definitely amongst my most despised players. Guys who suddenly become feared power hitters after years and years of being unremarkable nobodies make me suspicious of steroid use.

In addition, I can't stand Robert Fick or Karim Garcia either.

Wsoxmike59
02-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Could you refresh my memory on this?

SMO
:?:

I believe it was Jerry Manuel's first year at the helm of the White Sox. Bere was in the starting rotation and getting shelled on a regular basis. Manuel demoted him to the bullpen in middle relief. Bere's agent went to Jerry Manuel to complain and when he didn't get the response he desired he went to the press with comments such as.... (and I'm paraphrasing here cuz I'm doing it from memory and recollection) "when he told me Bere was being demoted from a starter to bullpen I wanted to reach across his desk and strangle him by his scrawny neck.......now we gotta sit around and wait until this clown decides to use him!"

Bere was lucky he wasn't demoted to AAA, the Sox still wanted to give him a chance, but Bere was stubborn and sulked about it and refused Manuel's demotion and asked for a trade.

I have hated Jason Bere ever since. He put his feelings and desires ahead of the team. No athelete should ever do that in my book.

JoseCanseco6969
02-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Carlos Zambrano. I can't stand his attitude. And I'll stop the explanation there before I get banned.

I'd say for me its Zambrano, Ordonez and Hunter. I hate their guts!

TDog
02-06-2005, 02:57 PM
...Most everyone who has ever been a Cub. Though I must admit, Ernie Banks was a likeable guy....

I used to respect Ernie Banks as a ballplayer and person. Now I rank him as something worse than a company man for an evil company.

Before Banks hit his 500th home run, Jack Brickhouse did a special with him for WGN celebrating the impending achievement. One of the things they did was go over the players who had already hit 500. Banks said he first heard of Babe Ruth when he went to Cubs spring training. He was a relic of segregated baseball. Like Henry Aaron, he came up through the Negro Leagues, which didn't immediately die with Jackie Robinson's success with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Banks' honesty made me think.

A couple of years ago, I heard Ernie Banks say that when he was a kid, everybody wanted to break Babe Ruth's record.

My list of most-hated players doesn't include Banks,though.

HoustonAstros967
02-06-2005, 03:55 PM
I hate Torii Hunter so much I can't even put it in to words!

I can't stand Torii Hunter. Hes plays dirty isn't that good and brags too much. The only words to describe him are total jackass.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Another thread, similar to this one but asking specifically which CUBS player we all despise the most, was recently started. As a fan and follower of not just the White Sox but of baseball in general, I'd just like to say that, even if no one posts in this thread again, I have enjoyed all of your responses. Not to say that so much concentrated negativity is a good thing, but at this time of year a discussion about the players (league-wide and throughout history) we all love to hate has been pretty entertaining.

chisoxmike
02-06-2005, 06:30 PM
There are too many to name... but I find myself hating

Jaque Jones
Torii Hunter
Coco Crisp
CC Sabathia
Carlos Zambrano
Sammy Sosa
Mark Prior

the most.

wilburwood
02-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Sabathia is an embarrasment to baseball. I am really not fond of a lot of things like watching home runs from home plate, but Sabathia parades himself out there looking like a gang banger. To me no excuse for that, kids are impressionable. When we pay big bucks to bring our kids to the ballpark and that is what is showcased what kind of message are kids actually getting. BAD FOR BASEBALL imo:angry:

nccwsfan
02-06-2005, 11:45 PM
There is only one player in MLB history that I despise in the sports fan sense- Tito Landrum.

He made a 12 year old boy cry back in 1983...:(:

Mohoney
02-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Bonds. End of debate.

The day that somebody with stones rats him out for 'roiding, I'm throwing a kegger.

This man has cheated baseball more than anybody ever has.

This man will finish with over 755, get a first-ballot induction, and BSPN will laud him for years in much the same way that MTV lauds Michael Jackson.

What I wouldn't give for some skeletons to leave some closets about Barry Bonds.

Vestigio
02-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Most of the players that I hate have already been mentioned, but another young player comes to mind, Matt Bush; eventhough i have never seen him play. He just has the similar style as Coco Crisp/Sabathia- tilted hat, baggy uniform, and this thug 'tough guy' look

FarWestChicago
02-07-2005, 12:26 AM
This man has cheated baseball more than anybody ever has.I don't think this is true. Bonds was a great player before 'roids. He just got better. Now, a mediocre player who becomes a "great" is a bigger cheat in my book.

:nandrolone

Yeah, that would piss me off too!!

tacosalbarojas
02-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Round up the usual suspects for me too, but let me kick in my two cents about each of them: Torri Hunter: your behavior in the Burke incident and comments thereafter "they said they were gonna kill me" were abominable. No professional should ever let fans get their rabbit ears going to that degree. Shame on you. Yeah, your glove is golden. The rest of you is garbage. Doug Mientkiewicz: you don't deserve the good name of "Doug" - yeah, that's my name (I'm considering changing it). His comments about MLB taking away the 2003 All-Star game were completely inappropriate. Funny how you talked about our fans not being able to keep our cool, then the very next series at Comiskey, you were among the first to enter the fray in our beanball brawl. Rick Dempsey: you're a Mendoza line hitter and the only time you did anything at the plate in your whole career was in the 1983 playoffs. I couldn't think up something awful enough to do about you. Tito Landrum: ditto! Robert Fick and Bob Higginson for their "roles" in the 2000 brawl. Oh and the piece de resistance: Arthur Lee Rhodes, for being so bush league as to wield a broom in victory upon completing the three game sweep in the 2000 playoffs against us.

Mohoney
02-07-2005, 12:38 AM
I don't think this is true. Bonds was a great player before 'roids. He just got better. Now, a mediocre player who becomes a "great" is a bigger cheat in my book.

:nandrolone

Yeah, that would piss me off too!!

But said "mediocre becoming great" player will not retire with the all-time home run record. Hank Aaron will forever have to take a back seat to Bonds, and that is inexcusable.

chisoxmike
02-07-2005, 08:01 PM
There is only one player in MLB history that I despise in the sports fan sense- Tito Landrum.

He made a 12 year old boy cry back in 1983...:(:

He also hit the game winning home run in Game 4 of the ALCS off Britt Burns in 1983. :whiner:

WhiteSox967
02-07-2005, 08:05 PM
I can't stand Sammy Sosa! That stupid hop makes me so mad!

nccwsfan
02-07-2005, 09:04 PM
He also hit the game winning home run in Game 4 of the ALCS off Britt Burns in 1983. :whiner:

Yes, I moped around the house the rest of the weekend....if only we had won Game 4- Lamarr Hoyt on the mound for Game 5 would have sealed the deal *sigh*

LANDRUM!!!!:angry:

maurice
02-07-2005, 09:23 PM
I have to agree on Ordonez, Sosa, Santo, Boone, Jones, Mientkiewicz, and Pierzinski. (Gotta work on that last one.) One of my favorite moments at the new park was Garland drilling Mientkiewicz twice after his "no ASG" comments with the loud approval of the Pale Hose faithful.

I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned David Wells or D'Angelo Jimenez -- aka "the laziest player ever."