PDA

View Full Version : Tigers may balk at Ordonez's demands

South Side
02-04-2005, 07:25 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3371208

Someone needs to give this guy a reality check and make him realize that he is not all that high in demand!

Nick@Nite
02-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Ironic that the Detroit News used the phrase, the Magglio watch.

Ol' No. 2
02-04-2005, 08:19 PM

Someone needs to give this guy a reality check and make him realize that he is not all that high in demand!So let me see if I've got all the facts straight.

1. Tigers express interest in Ordonez, but don't want to pony up the dough Boras wants.
2. Stories start appearing in Chicago papers about the Cubs being interested. All the stories are attributed to "a National league source".
3. Boras makes counteroffer to Tigers.
4. Cubs sign Burnitz.
5. Tigers sniff at Boras' counteroffer like it's a monkey turd.
6. Stories start appearing in New York papers about the Mets being interested. All the stories are attributed to "a National league source".

Wasn't Goundhog day a couple of days ago?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Someone needs to give this guy a reality check and make him realize that he is not all that high in demand!

It's February 4. Magglio's negotiating leverage gets smaller and smaller with every passing day. He and Boras are going to have to settle on whatever best deal they can hoodwink someone into offering.

All the brave talk in the world from Boras can't change this fact. He has a great reputation for getting top dollar for his players. He also has a reputation for overextending himself and painting himself into a corner on negotiations, too. With every passing day it looks more and more like Magglio will fall into the latter category.

Serves Magglio right to suffer. He hired the jerk.

:cool:

soxwon
02-04-2005, 09:57 PM
come on detroit sign him- i do not want him on the cubs!!!

Hokiesox
02-04-2005, 10:02 PM
I do want him on the Cubs. The Iowa Cubs

doublem23
02-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Magglio Ordonez and Jeromy Burnitz? Wow. Better hit the treadmill, Corey.

South Side
02-04-2005, 10:36 PM
come on detroit sign him- i do not want him on the cubs!!!

Magglio is no longer a possibility for the Cubs.

HoustonAstros967
02-04-2005, 10:37 PM
This is stupid finally someone takes boras's bate and thinks about signing magglio.... a counter-offer!?!!? they should take whatever they can cause hes not going to get more from another team if boras pisses off the tigers. Maggs needs to play DH and he isn't worth what boras wants!

Ol' No. 2
02-04-2005, 10:48 PM
This is stupid finally someone takes boras's bate and thinks about signing magglio.... a counter-offer!?!!? they should take whatever they can cause hes not going to get more from another team if boras pisses off the tigers. Maggs needs to play DH and he isn't worth what boras wants!:borass:No, wait!! There's another team interested! Really!!! It's the...ummm...the Mets. Yeah, that's it. The Mets. Yeah, they're really interested in him. Better accept our counter offer of 15 guaranteed years at $350M or they'll sign him right out from under you. Don't worry about his knee. Would I lie to you? Wait. My phone's ringing right now. (covers mouth) Ring, ring. Probably the Mets on the phone right now. Better hurry up and sign.

Church Turtle
02-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Why is it the guy that was my favorite member of the SOX for a while ever got hooked up with this guy? I know money money money.
Those that have already said it are right, take the 5 year deal Magglio.

marlins03
02-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Serves Magglio right to suffer

i said the same about when Pudge went to the Tigers
i understand how you feel

NSSoxFan
02-05-2005, 12:31 AM
i said the same about when Pudge went to the Tigers
i understand how you feel

It isn't really anything like Pudge with the Marlins, with all due respect. Magglio came up through the White Sox organization, we saw him hit his first major league HR, RBI, etc. To make things worse, the Sox offered Magglio a more than fair offer at least three times last season.

Cubbiesuck13
02-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Magglio is no longer a possibility for the Cubs.

why not exactly? I think he would be a huge upgrade. Burnitz or Maggs could switch to LF. Besides that, say he doesn't play untill the All Star break. That would be like pulling a major trade in time for the playoff race without giving up anyone. The last time I checked the Flubune doesnt have a strict payroll.

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 01:15 AM
why not exactly? I think he would be a huge upgrade. Burnitz or Maggs could switch to LF. Besides that, say he doesn't play untill the All Star break. That would be like pulling a major trade in time for the playoff race without giving up anyone. The last time I checked the Flubune doesnt have a strict payroll.Because Hendry said it wasn't really a possibility during the Sosa trade press conference. The Cubs offered Magg$ a 2-year, $20 million contract and Bora$$ most likely laughed at it. So Hendry went and signed Burnitz. The Tribune has tons of money but they cap Hendry from spending much more than $100 million and their payroll is already at around $104 million. Magg$ will not be a Cub.

OurBitchinMinny
02-05-2005, 01:29 AM
whoever does get him is going to get a hell of a bargain. He will be back to form by midseason this year I predict

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 02:03 AM
whoever does get him is going to get a hell of a bargain. He will be back to form by midseason this year I predictBargain? What are you smokin'? :smokin: How is a guy with a bum knee demanding a 7-year contract a bargain? :?: You do know that Bora$$ is trying to milk a 7-year, $90 million contract from Detroit right? Man, what a bargain!

The Mets are rumored to be offering Maggs the same deal we offered him (5 years, $70 million) and I still don't consider that to be a bargain for Maggs. That's as much as Vladimir Guerrero earns and he's the better player. A bargain would be J.D. Drew at 5 years, $55 million or $11 million per season.

Cubbiesuck13
02-05-2005, 02:04 AM
Because Hendry said it wasn't really a possibility during the Sosa trade press conference. The Cubs offered Magg$ a 2-year, $20 million contract and Bora$$ most likely laughed at it. So Hendry went and signed Burnitz. The Tribune has tons of money but they cap Hendry from spending much more than $100 million and their payroll is already at around $104 million. Magg$ will not be a Cub.

I'm not saying that it will happen, but it is not out of the question. Personally, I don't think a GM saying that something wont happen is a legit reason for something not to happen. Hendry also said there was no problem with SoSo and he would return next year.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2005, 02:06 AM

Magglio as a Cub in 2005 has a 0% chance of happening.

According to Jim Hendry, there's a few teams that are willing to give Magglio the long-term, high-paying contract he is looking for, and that is the main reason they are no longer interested in his services. He said it on AM1000 a few nights ago.

I guess the # 1 team on Magglio's wish list is now going to be crossed off. It's down to Detroit, Texas, and Baltimore (possibly the Mets as well?). If I had to, I'd put my money on Detroit.

A deal should be announced by the end of next week if not by Wednesday. If that does not happen, you can bet your life on the fact that either; 1) every team has backed out of a long-term offer, or 2) Boras has a team bidding against itself and will keep saying "it's down to a race between 2-3 teams" to increase that team's offer. One way or another, some team will be desperate enough to pay him.

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 02:08 AM
I'm not saying that it will happen, but it is not out of the question. Personally, I don't think a GM saying that something wont happen is a legit reason for something not to happen. Hendry also said there was no problem with SoSo and he would return next year.I already addressed why it won't happen other than Hendry saying it. They are at their set payroll limit of $104 million. The only other move I see the Cubs making is trading Farnsworth. He is the final player involved in the clubhouse woes of last season that is still on the team.

nccwsfan
02-05-2005, 07:24 AM
whoever does get him is going to get a hell of a bargain. He will be back to form by midseason this year I predict

Unfortunately I don't see this- anyone who's had two major knee surgeries within 12 months (and 'shock treatment'), and who is not able to prove his health (no proof is out there)....I just see him as nothing more than a career DH from here on out. He's going to Detroit because noone else is stupid enough to give him a long term contract.

You never want to see a player's career be stalled by injury, but I think he's jumped the shark when it comes to his career. Too bad....

PaleHoseGeorge
02-05-2005, 07:30 AM

Here are two observations you can take to the bank about your prediction.

1.) Whether Maggs gets $100 million or one thin dime, Boras will claim the signing team got a "bargain." Scott Boras lies regardless.

2.) NOBODY gets a "bargain" when negotiating with Scott Boras.

Steelrod
02-05-2005, 07:35 AM

Count this among Boras's failures. Talked Mags into turning down contract when he wasn't even his agent. Now it is down to Detroit or Detroit, and still no one knows his ability to play!
Everone will talk about what a great job he did with Beltrain's contract, except the Ordonez clan. Personally, I hope the Tigers pull their offer off the table. You now know why the Sox were not able to see him or his medical records prior to deadline. The real question why he will make a lofty commission off downgrading another agents negotiation. What a country!

Jjav829
02-05-2005, 10:11 AM
....Or not! Newsday is reporting that the Tigers are close to signing Maggs to an estimated 5-year, $75 million deal. :o: :thud:

Link (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spbase054136186feb05,0,7971363.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines)

South Side
02-05-2005, 10:11 AM
why not exactly? I think he would be a huge upgrade. Burnitz or Maggs could switch to LF. Besides that, say he doesn't play untill the All Star break. That would be like pulling a major trade in time for the playoff race without giving up anyone. The last time I checked the Flubune doesnt have a strict payroll.

Because Hendry said that he doesn't make sense for them anymore.

Brian26
02-05-2005, 10:14 AM
....Or not! Newsday is reporting that the Tigers are close to signing Maggs to an estimated 5-year, $75 million deal. :o: :thud:

Link (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spbase054136186feb05,0,7971363.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines)

Insanity.

Has Mags officially even worked out for anyone yet?

Jjav829
02-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Insanity.

Has Mags officially even worked out for anyone yet?

Not that I know of. He'll have to pass a physical to sign the contract, so he eventually will have to. There has to be some sort of an out in the deal for the Tigers.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-05-2005, 10:23 AM
....Or not! Newsday is reporting that the Tigers are close to signing Maggs to an estimated 5-year, $75 million deal.
I doubt I'm the only one with a sick feeling about this. I would much rather see Magg$ go to the Mets or even (gasp) the sCrUBS where he can't do nearly as much damage to the Sox. Haven't we had enough trouble with Detroit over the last few years? Even when they were (almost) the worst team in ML history two seasons ago they still got something like half of their wins against us. IIRC, they beat Loaiza 1-0 TWICE that season. I don't like wishing anybody misfortune, but if he ends up with the Tigers I hope his knee is a wreck.

idseer
02-05-2005, 10:27 AM
I doubt I'm the only one with a sick feeling about this. I would much rather see Magg$ go to the Mets or even (gasp) the sCrUBS where he can't do nearly as much damage to the Sox. Haven't we had enough trouble with Detroit over the last few years? Even when they were (almost) the worst team in ML history two seasons ago they still got something like half of their wins against us. IIRC, they beat Loaiza 1-0 TWICE that season. I don't like wishing anybody misfortune, but if he ends up with the Tigers I hope his knee is a wreck.

i wouldn't feel bad at all. i'm pretty confident magglio is done so i don't care who signs him.

Mohoney
02-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Magglio Ordonez and Jeromy Burnitz? Wow. Better hit the treadmill, Corey.

Treadmill? The man would need a jetpack.

HoustonAstros967
02-05-2005, 11:22 AM
:borass:No, wait!! There's another team interested! Really!!! It's the...ummm...the Mets. Yeah, that's it. The Mets. Yeah, they're really interested in him. Better accept our counter offer of 15 guaranteed years at $350M or they'll sign him right out from under you. Don't worry about his knee. Would I lie to you? Wait. My phone's ringing right now. (covers mouth) Ring, ring. Probably the Mets on the phone right now. Better hurry up and sign.

AMAZING! THATS PURE GOLD RIGHT THERE PURE GOLD!

pearso66
02-05-2005, 11:48 AM
I've heard Boras wants an out clause too from Detroit. Not FOR Detroit, for Magglio. I guess he said something to the extent of he can make 15 mil or whatever this year if he plays well, get out of the contract and go back out on the market. So it sounds like he's trying to get into a win-win situation, If magglio sucks, he has a 5-7 year deal with huge money, if he does well, he can try to get more.

Lip Man 1
02-05-2005, 12:23 PM
There is no chance the Cubs would gets Maggs now. Not after paying 14-16 million to the O's to take Sosa and then paying five million for Burnitz. The Tribune company is adament that the Cubs payroll NOT go over 100 million dollars because that's when the tax kicks in. It's pretty close now to that number.

Lip

South Side
02-05-2005, 01:49 PM
I've heard Boras wants an out clause too from Detroit. Not FOR Detroit, for Magglio. I guess he said something to the extent of he can make 15 mil or whatever this year if he plays well, get out of the contract and go back out on the market. So it sounds like he's trying to get into a win-win situation, If magglio sucks, he has a 5-7 year deal with huge money, if he does well, he can try to get more.

What a rat.

flo-B-flo
02-05-2005, 08:07 PM
i wouldn't feel bad at all. i'm pretty confident magglio is done so i don't care who signs him. Just curious. Why would you think he is done? Got any inside info?

nccwsfan
02-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Just curious. Why would you think he is done? Got any inside info?

The same question can be turned around- why would anyone think that he is relatively healthy and is able to play? 2 knee surgeries within the past 12 months, a 'shock therapy' treatment, and zero evidence that he is ready to get on the field to prove doubters wrong. Detroit is now on the hook for $12 million in 2005, and for what? So he can DH 40-50 games? I say good for the White Sox- a division rival got suckered into a short and/or long term deal by Boras.

Boras is one of the roots of baseball evil, but give the guy credit- he could turn half of us into utility infielders making $2 mil per.