PDA

View Full Version : Marlins get stadium deal

Lip Man 1
02-04-2005, 06:11 PM
As part of their newsflash The Sporting News radio network is reporting that the Marlins and Miami Dade County have agreed in principle on a new stadium deal.

The team will contribute 193 million out of the expected 480 million needed to fund construction.

One clause is that when the stadium is done the franchise must change their name from Florida Marlins to Miami Marlins.

If contraction is to come up again as part of the 2006 CBA I guess you can remove the Marlins and Nationals franchises. Bad news for Tampa Bay, Minnesota and Oakland.

Lip

doublem23
02-04-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm glad they're changing to Miami Marlins. I've never really liked "generic" names like Florida, Arizona, and California for sports teams.

Hangar18
02-04-2005, 06:29 PM
As part of their newsflash The Sporting News radio network is reporting that the Marlins and Miami Dade County have agreed in principle on a new stadium deal.

The team will contribute 193 million out of the expected 480 million needed to fund construction.

One clause is that when the stadium is done the franchise must change their name from Florida Marlins to Miami Marlins.

If contraction is to come up again as part of the 2006 CBA I guess you can remove the Marlins and Nationals franchises. Bad news for Tampa Bay, Minnesota and Oakland.

Lip

Any idea if there are pictures of their new stadium? Florida Marlins
has a nice sound to it. Miami Marlins doesnt. Hope they tone down
the BLACK in their uniforms, theyre overdoing it also. Contraction
will come up, you can be on that. Tampa needs to be Folded.
Expos Pirates and Marlins have done nothing but Stock the Cub roster
with premium players for next to nothing. (willis was a lucky grab)
Tampa should never have been allowed in the league. I have
no idea who should be folded 2nd though .............

robertks61
02-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Will they be the Florida Marlins of Miami?

I still say contract the Twins.

Viva Medias B's
02-04-2005, 07:15 PM
The Marlins used to be called "Miami." The minor league Miami Marlins, that is, which existed before the MLB Marlins came to be. Miami used to play its games at run down Bobby Maduro Stadium (since demolished) near Downtown Miami. This is where the Baltimore Orioles used to spend spring training as well, until they went north.

marlins03
02-04-2005, 07:26 PM
:supernana::supernana:
its about damn time

FightingBillini
02-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Any idea if there are pictures of their new stadium?

Yeah, it looks REALLY bad. Looks like a wide football field, because the stands are high on opposite sides. Why is right field considerably higher than the first base side? I know they are limited with space, but they should revise this or find a new spot. This looks BAD.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/marlinsballpark800.jpg

Brian26
02-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah, it looks REALLY bad. Looks like a wide football field, because the stands are high on opposite sides. Why is right field considerably higher than the first base side? I know they are limited with space, but they should revise this or find a new spot. This looks BAD.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/marlinsballpark800.jpg

Is THIS the Orange Bowl plan they have been talking about for such a long time? Wow. That's bizarre looking.

Brian26
02-04-2005, 08:34 PM
The Marlins used to be called "Miami." The minor league Miami Marlins, that is, which existed before the MLB Marlins came to be.

Right- so there is definitely some history with the Miami name. However- here I go again with tradition- the Florida Marlins franchise has won two world titles in its first 11 years of existence. There's no way they should change the name.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-04-2005, 08:38 PM
My wife and I went to FL for our anniversary two years ago, and we got tickets to a Marlins/Rays interleague game. I wasn't expecting the cross-town rivalry we have with Cubs/Sox games, but I was kind of interested to see how Floridians handled such a matchup. On a beautiful, sunny Sunday, there were barely 9,000 people in ProPlayer Stadium (47,000 capacity)! There was so much orange visible (some sections of the empty upper deck were actually closed off) that I thought I was watching an Illini home game. It was funny to watch just a few months later as the Marlins thumped the Cubs in front of a packed stadium! Talk about your fair-weather fans.

On another note, while at the game we bought a Marlins cap for my brother, whose Cub-hate borders on psychosis. Little did we know at the time what a treasure this woud be for him! After the sCrUBS choked, he wore that cap everywhere he went for over a year:cool: .

Brian26
02-04-2005, 08:43 PM
On another note, while at the game we bought a Marlins cap for my brother, whose Cub-hate borders on psychosis. Little did we know at the time what a treasure this woud be for him! After the sCrUBS choked, he wore that cap everywhere he went for over a year:cool: .

I think there will always be a soft-spot in my heart for the mighty Marlins of '03, showing the heart and guts of true champions by coming back against the Evil Empire and winning 3 straight with their backs against the wall.

FightingBillini
02-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Is THIS the Orange Bowl plan they have been talking about for such a long time? Wow. That's bizarre looking.

Yep. That orange thing in the background is the orangebowl.
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/miabpk01.jpg

batmanZoSo
02-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Yep. That orange thing in the background is the orangebowl.
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/miabpk01.jpg

You can see that the right field grandstand can roll inward to create a suitable football "horseshoe" stadium. It looks like it'll go all the way to the point where the seats curve in to meet the right field line.

And notice how the RF seats next to the batter's eye area are sliced off on an angle...this allows those sitting on the LF side (next to the batters eye) to have an unobstructed view of the football field when the big grandstand is moved inward.

It's a pretty weird looking stadium, but by far the best I've seen for a multi-sport facility (before this, the only bright idea has been a donut). Very novel concept and it looks like it would be able to accomodate both sports well.

FightingBillini
02-04-2005, 09:12 PM
You can see that the right field grandstand can roll inward to create a suitable football "horseshoe" stadium. It looks like it'll go all the way to the point where the seats curve in to meet the right field line.

And notice how the RF seats next to the batter's eye area are sliced off on an angle...this allows those sitting on the LF side (next to the batters eye) to have an unobstructed view of the football field when the big grandstand is moved inward.

It's a pretty weird looking stadium, but by far the best I've seen for a multi-sport facility (before this, the only bright idea has been a donut). Very novel concept and it looks like it would be able to accomodate both sports well.

From everything I have heard its baseball only, and it wont be used for football. Why would they ever use that for football when the Orange Bowl is right there? Besides that, Im not sure they could move the right field part. It has a retractable roof that closes right above right field.

SaltyPretzel
02-04-2005, 09:50 PM
I pulled this off www.ballparks.com: (http://www.ballparks.com:)

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/miabpk02.jpg

It looks pretty much like Minute Maid Park without the stupid train.

marlins03
02-05-2005, 12:14 AM
without the stupid train.
lmao

NSSoxFan
02-05-2005, 12:16 AM
It looks pretty much like Minute Maid Park without the stupid train.

I hate that train.

FightingBillini
02-14-2005, 01:23 AM
I found a new rendering of the possible park. Obviously, they havent decided on a final version, but this one looks a lot better than the other pic I posted.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2005-02/16220477.jpg

The biggest flaw I see is the open air in left to left center. Unless the roof closes and folds over that, its a bad idea. Safeco is open air like that, and the roof is more like a canopy than an actual enclosure. That wouldn't be good for Miami, because the park needs to be air conditioned. If the roof is closed when it rains, the fans would be dry, but it would still be over 100 degrees, and stuffy as hell inside the park that is only open in that one side. They claim the biggest problem with Dolphin Stadium is that people dont want to come to sit in the rain and 100+ degree humidity, and all this would solve is eliminating the rain. I imagine that for the final version, the field will be rotated so that the roof closes over the third base side and not the outfield. That way there can be windows or panels that slide over the outfield to completely close off the building.

MiamiSpartan
02-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Great news for the Fish! Pro Player (or Dolphins Stadium as it is now called) SUCKS for baseball. Once you get past 1st and 3rd, the seats don't angle in, so you are facing outfield. The new ballpark will be great. It will be attached to a renovated OB (capacity for the OB will be decreased from 77,000 to somewhere in the 60,000 range), and it is near a MetroRail stop. I am thrilled with the name change to the Miami Marlins. That is what the team should have been named from the beginning, except Huizinga had a HUGE Broward County bias, which is why the Panthers are playing (or not playing as the case may be) in the middle of the Everglades in north Broward....

batmanZoSo
02-16-2005, 03:15 PM
From everything I have heard its baseball only, and it wont be used for football. Why would they ever use that for football when the Orange Bowl is right there? Besides that, Im not sure they could move the right field part. It has a retractable roof that closes right above right field.

I don't see why it would be so weirdly shaped if it were baseball only. If you roll the right field seats in like they did at Mile High when the Rockies first came into the league, you'd have a pretty tight football field. And the Orange Bowl is about as old as the Roman Coliseum. But I don't know. Like I said, for a multisport, it would be a pretty good accomplishment, but if it is gonna be just for baseball, that's a pathetic attempt at quirkiness.

maurice
02-16-2005, 03:28 PM
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/marlinsmain.jpg