PDA

View Full Version : Everett...The X Factor???

GiveMeSox
02-04-2005, 02:45 PM
There is an interesting article from whitesox.com about Everett and his upcoming 05 season with the sox. There are two pieces I find intriguing.

"But now 100 percent healthy and close to 20 pounds lighter than the end of last season, Everett could be an important and overlooked cog in the White Sox's drive for the 2005 postseason."

"Carl is the X-factor, to tell you the truth," said White Sox outfielder Aaron Rowand, who shared time in center with Everett after the team acquired him from Texas midway through the 2003 campaign."

Aaron could be on to something here. A healthy an productive (normal) Everett could be a huge replacement for the loss of Power. The Carl we saw in 2003 who hit .288 with 28 hrs could be vital to this team with the loss of FranK for some part, and no Maggs or Lee. If he can play to his ability that just might be the key to this new lineup with well rounded production in all aspects of Power, Speed, On Base %, and situational hitting. Without frank for as much as 1/2 the season Carl is key whether we want to admit it or not.

Crazy Carl Article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050204&content_id=939377&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

California Sox
02-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Good article. I've been posting the entire offseason that I think there is a better than 50% chance that Carl will be ths Sox starting leftfielder in the second half of '05. If Carl hits like he's capable of (.850 to .900 OPS), there's no way Pods can keep him out of the lineup.

GiveMeSox
02-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Good article. I've been posting the entire offseason that I think there is a better than 50% chance that Carl will be ths Sox starting leftfielder in the second half of '05. If Carl hits like he's capable of (.850 to .900 OPS), there's no way Pods can keep him out of the lineup.

I dont see that at all. What I do see is Carl is probably the best insurance we have against an Inuried outfielder or DH. Since Frank is now Injury prone and so is our new RF, DYe, Carl could see a lot at bats. If Dye doesn't stay healthy and Franks' comeback is slow he could easily see 500 AB's. However there is no way Pods rides the bench for Everett. Pods way better defensivly and way too important to the top of the order in getting on base and stealing a lot. Pods will play 161 games this year whether he hits .250 or .300, he going to steal a record number of times.

mike squires
02-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Unortunatly we have a lotof Xfactors. Crede is another major one along wih a few pithcers. Notably Hernandes and El Duk...and thee is no cetainty that Rowand will have the same type of season as he did last year.

Jabroni
02-04-2005, 03:42 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/02/25/Jfi92JUp.gif = http://www.affordablesupplements.com/x_factor.jpg

ja1022
02-04-2005, 03:58 PM

I hope so too. In fact this was what I posted in a different thread:

The health of Everett and Dye are also key. All indications are that Frank won't be active to start the season and that Everett will DH. I'd love to see a situation develop where Frank returns healthy and Ozzie has a bitch of a time figuring out how to keep Everett in the line up. If Rowand continues to produce, Dye and Everett stay healthy and Everett performs like he did five and six years ago, you could see Podsednik become an off the bench guy like Dave Roberts last year for Boston. There is a ton of value in a guy like that. It would actually be a good thing if Podsednik was forced to the bench due to someone elses strong performance.

MUsoxfan
02-04-2005, 04:13 PM
I'd hate to burst your bubbles, but Podsednik is the leadoff hitter this team needs. He steals everything in sight, his defense is above average and he is likely to bat much better than last year....a year in which he stole 70 freaking bases! I have a feeling he's Ozzie's wet dream because he plays the smallball Ozzie wants from the team. Everett, on the other hand is a less than fantastic fielder....he's slow and inconsistent at the plate. Podsednik will play about 155 games in left

mweflen
02-04-2005, 04:19 PM
I think we'll see Everett and Dye play about 120 games apiece, and Frank play about 90. Sort of a 3 way platoon for 2 positions. They'll all get their chance to play and produce. We could see 20 or more HR apiece from each.

havelj
02-04-2005, 04:50 PM
A friend asked me the other day who the surprise player will be and I immediately said Everett - he could really come on the scene and make a huge impact.

BRDSR
02-04-2005, 04:52 PM
I have a feeling he's Ozzie's wet dream because he plays the smallball Ozzie wants from the team. Everett, on the other hand is a less than fantastic fielder....he's slow and inconsistent at the plate. Podsednik will play about 155 games in left

Thats as long as he actually does play the small ball Ozzie wants. Remember, it was Pods hijmself who said he was swinging too much for the fences last season. Hopefully a change of scenery, a new manager, and being on a team that still has much more power than the Brewers will help change that for him. My God, what I would give for Pods to hit over .300 again with zero homeruns? That kind of a catalyst at the top of the order could be the beginning of quite a few 3 or 4 run rallies.

As far as Everett being the X-factor...we have too many X-factors to pinpoint one. Everett is certainly one, but if he's a complete bust and all the other X-factors perform to their ability(Dye, Pods, Crede) then we're still in pretty good shape especially because by most accounts, Everett won't need to be in the lineup by sometime in mid-May, if not earlier. If Frank is ready to start a rehab stint by mid-March like it's been postulated by a few different people, theres no reason he won't be in the lineup by mid-May.

SoxFan76
02-04-2005, 04:55 PM
This brings up a great point. How soon we forget that Everett was an All-Star in 2003. He kind of fell off the radar last year because he was hurt in Montreal. I expect another solid season out of Crazy Carl, no doubt about it.

Ol' No. 2
02-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Thats as long as he actually does play the small ball Ozzie wants. Remember, it was Pods hijmself who said he was swinging too much for the fences last season. Hopefully a change of scenery, a new manager, and being on a team that still has much more power than the Brewers will help change that for him. My God, what I would give for Pods to hit over .300 again with zero homeruns? That kind of a catalyst at the top of the order could be the beginning of quite a few 3 or 4 run rallies.

As far as Everett being the X-factor...we have too many X-factors to pinpoint one. Everett is certainly one, but if he's a complete bust and all the other X-factors perform to their ability(Dye, Pods, Crede) then we're still in pretty good shape especially because by most accounts, Everett won't need to be in the lineup by sometime in mid-May, if not earlier. If Frank is ready to start a rehab stint by mid-March like it's been postulated by a few different people, theres no reason he won't be in the lineup by mid-May.Unfortunately, Frank Thomas' history suggests he will take a long time to get back to 100% once he does get back in the lineup. And that ankle is going to get really sore if he plays every day. I expect Everett may get as many has half the DH AB this year.

santo=dorf
02-04-2005, 05:05 PM
It started with a right shoulder contusion and torn labrum in mid-April. A sprained left ankle followed that particular malady shortly thereafter. Thus began Carl Everett's 2005 season,
I certainly hope Carl's 2005 season doesn't begin that way.

SOXSINCE'70
02-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Unfortunately, Frank Thomas' history suggests he will take a long time to get back to 100% once he does get back in the lineup. And that ankle is going to get really sore if he plays every day. I expect Everett may get as many has half the DH AB this year.

I agree,sir!!:D: :D:

hold2dibber
02-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I'd hate to burst your bubbles, but Podsednik is the leadoff hitter this team needs. He steals everything in sight, his defense is above average and he is likely to bat much better than last year....a year in which he stole 70 freaking bases! I have a feeling he's Ozzie's wet dream because he plays the smallball Ozzie wants from the team. Everett, on the other hand is a less than fantastic fielder....he's slow and inconsistent at the plate. Podsednik will play about 155 games in left

I like the optimism, but I don't see how you can say Pods is "likely to bat much better than last year." I'd say it's a toss up. He might bat better, he might bat the same, he might bat worse. It's not like the guy's 23 years old and is still learning the game. His hitting (and OBP) ability is a HUGE question mark, IMHO.

Palehose13
02-04-2005, 05:12 PM
I think we'll see Everett and Dye play about 120 games apiece, and Frank play about 90. Sort of a 3 way platoon for 2 positions. They'll all get their chance to play and produce. We could see 20 or more HR apiece from each.

I think this is more realistic than Podsednik being benched for Everett.

MUsoxfan
02-04-2005, 05:13 PM
I like the optimism, but I don't see how you can say Pods is "likely to bat much better than last year." I'd say it's a toss up. He might bat better, he might bat the same, he might bat worse. It's not like the guy's 23 years old and is still learning the game. His hitting (and OBP) ability is a HUGE question mark, IMHO.

Well it's unlikely he'll put up his 2003 average, and I don't see him putting up his 2004 average either. Something in-between and probably closer to 2003 (Greg Walker is very good at what he does). Everett isn't what he used to be. He'll be a DH for most of the year because I think Frank will be out longer than even he thinks he will be.

ja1022
02-04-2005, 05:18 PM

That's just because you're from Milwaukee and have much Scotty love.

mweflen
02-04-2005, 05:19 PM

Podsednik will get at least 500 AB, unless he is injured, or his average stays below the Mendoza line (should we rename it the Borchard line?) for more than a month.

Palehose13
02-04-2005, 05:32 PM
That's just because you're from Milwaukee and have much Scotty love.

LOL

Let's get some things straight, bucko:

#1. I'm not FROM Milwaukee. I just happen to live there. :wink:

#2. Living in the Brew City has given me plenty of opportunity to watch Podsednik play. I think I have an informed opinion and whoever said that pods is everything Ozzie wants is absolutely right.

:D:

PorkChopExpress
02-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately, this situation reminds me a little of last year, when Valentin was out and Uribe and Harris were full-time, they played awesome. But then when Valentin came back, Guillen put him in right away, and kinda killed the flow those two guys had by switching their positions or sitting them for games. I would hate to see something like that again when Frank gets healthy. I say "hate", but I love the fact that this is one of our current problems. That's depth, baby!

CWSGuy406
02-04-2005, 05:54 PM
I dont see that at all. What I do see is Carl is probably the best insurance we have against an Inuried outfielder or DH. Since Frank is now Injury prone and so is our new RF, DYe, Carl could see a lot at bats. If Dye doesn't stay healthy and Franks' comeback is slow he could easily see 500 AB's. However there is no way Pods rides the bench for Everett. Pods way better defensivly and way too important to the top of the order in getting on base and stealing a lot. Pods will play 161 games this year whether he hits .250 or .300, he going to steal a record number of times.

If Carl is busy repeating his 2003 season, and Podsednik can't get his OBP above .340, I don't care if Podsednik is on a pace for 100+ stolen bases -- he's not doing our team much good as a leadoff hitter, unless he's able to get that OBP to a respectable number.

Everyone seems so confident in Podsednik, yet less so in guys like Dye and Everett. Why should I believe Podsednik, a career .260+ hitter in the minor leagues, is going to even come near that (sorry, I gotta say it) flukish 2003 season?

Lip Man 1
02-04-2005, 06:48 PM
As long as the status of Frank is uncertain at least until they can see him in person on a ballfield, the Sox are going to need Everett.

Lip

PAPChiSox729
02-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Everyone seems so confident in Podsednik, yet less so in guys like Dye and Everett. Why should I believe Podsednik, a career .260+ hitter in the minor leagues, is going to even come near that (sorry, I gotta say it) flukish 2003 season?

I'm not sold on Podsednik either. Like you said, he wasn't a top prospect coming up. A stellar rookie year followed by a horrendus offensive second year. I'm not ready to anoint him as the answer to our leadoff problem. That being said, I think that he will hit around .270 with 50+ SB's. I would love a year like that. But to say that right now he is the leadoff man that we've needed is a little too optimistic for my tastes.

Jabroni
02-05-2005, 01:59 AM
I know we all want to see Podsednik light it up like he did in 2003 but if he doesn't, I sure wouldn't mind seeing a repeat of Carl's 2003 season...

Carl Everett (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5073) (2003 stats)
526 AB
.287 AVG
.366 OBP
.510 SLG
.876 OPS
28 HR
92 RBI
8 SB

:o:

TheBull19
02-06-2005, 03:49 PM

Everett is a much much much more accomplished player, if anyone has a bubble to be burst, its someone who has such confidence in Podsednik.

veeter
02-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Carl is a very good professional hitter who has been an all-star. Yet he usually an after thought. I love Everett and he will really help the Sox.

MisterB
02-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Unfortunately, Frank Thomas' history suggests he will take a long time to get back to 100% once he does get back in the lineup. And that ankle is going to get really sore if he plays every day. I expect Everett may get as many has half the DH AB this year.

I don't see that at all. Thomas has had 4 significant injuries in his career:

1) The shoulder problem that kept him at DH for most of the '91 season (during which he still put up big numbers at the plate)

2) The bone spur that he played on through the '99 season, which caused him to miss the last few weeks of the season, but the next year he put up legitimate MVP numbers (were it not for Giambi's illegitimate MVP numbers :angry:)

3) The triceps tear that washed out his '01 season, which was assumed at the time to take him about 2 years to fully recover from (and the numbers suggest that it did.)

4) The current foot/ankle fracture.

He's never had this particular injury before, so I don't see how his history suggests it will take an extraordinarily long time for him to return to 100% once he's healthy enough to be back in the lineup.

Ol' No. 2
02-07-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't see that at all. Thomas has had 4 significant injuries in his career:

1) The shoulder problem that kept him at DH for most of the '91 season (during which he still put up big numbers at the plate)

2) The bone spur that he played on through the '99 season, which caused him to miss the last few weeks of the season, but the next year he put up legitimate MVP numbers (were it not for Giambi's illegitimate MVP numbers :angry:)

3) The triceps tear that washed out his '01 season, which was assumed at the time to take him about 2 years to fully recover from (and the numbers suggest that it did.)

4) The current foot/ankle fracture.

He's never had this particular injury before, so I don't see how his history suggests it will take an extraordinarily long time for him to return to 100% once he's healthy enough to be back in the lineup.I guess I wouldn't consider taking until June to be extraordinarily long, especially at 36. And even after that I'd expect him to ease in rather than just start playing every day. That ankle is the one that takes all the stress.

But all things considered, I'd just as soon see him take his time. If he's not much of a factor for the first half, but becomes the old Frank Thomas for the second half, I'll be..:D::D::D:

mdep524
02-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm not sold on Podsednik either. Like you said, he wasn't a top prospect coming up. A stellar rookie year followed by a horrendus offensive second year. I'm not ready to anoint him as the answer to our leadoff problem. That being said, I think that he will hit around .270 with 50+ SB's. I would love a year like that. But to say that right now he is the leadoff man that we've needed is a little too optimistic for my tastes.
I agree- I hope Podsednik is everything his backers (FOSPs?) say he is, but I am not entirely convinced. He has to prove he can do more than just steal bases. Stolen bases are nice, but OBP is much, much more important.

I look at it this way- Rowand and Dye are pretty much locks in CF and RF if they stay healthy, and the same is true for Frank at DH when he comes back. That leaves LF for Podsednik or Everett, so basically we need ONE of those two guys to step up. While they each may be slight question marks, I am very confident that at least one of them will produce in '05 and solidify LF.

JUribe1989
02-07-2005, 07:50 PM
I absolutely love Everett's swing and I think he could do some of the taunting of the Twins next year when we are killing them!

JUribe1989
02-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Here are some of Everett's good games with us in 2004
July 19 @ Texas - 2-5, 1 HR
July 22 @ Cleveland - 2-3, 2 RBI
July 27 vs. Twins - 1-3, 1 HR in ninth
July 28 vs. Twins - 2-5
July 30 @ Tigers - 2-4
August 12 vs. Royals - 1-3, 2-run homer in first to get things started
August 26 @ Indians - 2-5, 3 run homer with no outs in Top 1
September 6 @ Texas - 2-4, 1 HR