PDA

View Full Version : Grace speaks

Iwritecode
10-23-2001, 12:23 PM
I found a link to this on the Cubs troll board. Of course they are all unhappy about it and talk about how Grace isn't professional and doesn't have any class left. I seem to remember it was the team that didn't want him back. Not the other way around. It's not like he left because he wanted to. The Cubs just all got excited about that Chop suey guy in the minors and shipped Grace out. Then ended up getting the waddling beer keg to replace him. I can't really blame Grace for anything he said. He speaks the truth.

Check it out:

On the way to World Series, Grace takes his hacks at Cubs
Posted on October 23, 2001
By Barry Rozner

Monday morning, just hours after celebrating his first trip to the World Series, Mark Grace resisted the urge to bury Cubs management.
And he avoided blasting the Cubs' fascination with home runs instead of victories.
But he couldn't resist a couple of small pokes.
"I didn't want to leave. The Cubs forced me to go. But it worked out pretty well for me, don't you think?'' said Grace from his home in Arizona. "The cool thing is this team is about playing baseball the right way, and that's nice to see for an old-school guy like me.
"It's been a wonderful experience this year, and I'm finally in a World Series. I just don't think it ever would have happened in Chicago, so I guess I should thank (Cubs president) Andy MacPhail for throwing me out of the house.
"My dream was always to get there with the Cubs. It's all I wanted. It would have meant so much, but the Cubs took that opportunity away from me.''
Grace, however, hasn't forgotten his roots.
"I feel like this is for Cubs fans, too,'' Grace said. "I hope the people that still like me can enjoy this a little bit because God knows they've suffered enough.
"It's just incredible that a team four years into its existence is going to the World Series, and the Cubs - who have been around for 130 years - haven't been there since 1945.
"What are the odds?''
What were the odds of the Diamondbacks reaching the World Series without Grace?
"Slim,'' said rookie skipper Bob Brenly. "Gracie brought a lot of things here that we needed.
"A sense of humor. A great glove. Clutch hitting. Guts. He's right in the middle of everything that happens. He's the kind of guy who brings a clubhouse together.''
So while the Cubs are a fractured fairy tale with a clubhouse in disarray, Grace has brought stability to Arizona.
"We don't get here without him,'' Brenly said. "He's a great clutch hitter and he probably saved our infield about 250 errors. That's big because we win with pitching and defense.
"That's how we do it. That's how the Yankees do it. That's how World Series teams do it, and we wouldn't be here without Gracie. He's an old-school guy who knows how to play baseball.
"You can have all your home runs and all the other nonsense. You don't get to the World Series that way.''
Silly string
Grace said the strained hamstring that caused to leave Sunday's game early won't stop him from being ready for Game 1 on Saturday.
"Are you kidding?'' Grace laughed. "I'll wrap it, numb it or cut it off. I don't care. I'll be there. Believe me.''

FarWestChicago
10-23-2001, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
"I feel like this is for Cubs fans, too,'' Grace said.Sorry Gracie, you got it wrong. This is for the Sox fans! :)

:moron

That Barry Rozner is a total hack!

GASHWOUND
10-23-2001, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Sorry Gracie, you got it wrong. This is for the Sox fans! :)

:moron

That Barry Rozner is a total hack!

LOL!! My first chuckle of the day