PDA

View Full Version : Washington Nats uniforms: a symphony of bland

Baby Fisk
02-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Wow, could these jerseys be any duller?

Washington jerseys (http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1902045&cp=1895815)

Tradition is one thing, but a little creativity never hurts.

MUsoxfan
02-04-2005, 11:44 AM
They're not so bad. I'm glad they're not "creative" like the Astros and Padres in the 80's.

RKMeibalane
02-04-2005, 11:45 AM
They're not bad, but they do look a little too much like the Home Rum Derby uniforms.

eriqjaffe
02-04-2005, 11:46 AM
I firmly believe that the entire identity package - nickname, logos, uniforms, etc. - is merely a placeholder. Once the Nats actually have their own ownership, I wouldn't be surprised to see some major changes.

mjharrison72
02-04-2005, 12:09 PM
They aren't as bad as they could have been... they could have really played up a red-white-blue theme. They also could have used that annoying teal or seafoam green most of the new teams seem to enjoy so much. I think they're simple... and I do like the hats (red with a script white "W"). A lot of people are starting to wear them around the city... especially tourists.

Baby Fisk
02-04-2005, 12:17 PM
They aren't as bad as they could have been... they could have really played up a red-white-blue theme. They also could have used that annoying teal or seafoam green most of the new teams seem to enjoy so much. I think they're simple... and I do like the hats (red with a script white "W"). A lot of people are starting to wear them around the city... especially tourists.
No argument about the hats. Very traditional. But I agree the uniforms could have been a bit more red white & blue. That can be tricky too. You don't want some gaudy crap that overplays the stars & stripes theme to the point where it becomes a farce. I guess they played it safe. Too much creativity gives you the Diamondbacks and their eight crazy different styles.

Jerko
02-04-2005, 12:21 PM
They're not as bad as they could have been; they don't say "Nats".

Nick@Nite
02-04-2005, 12:22 PM
I do like the hats (red with a script white "W"). A lot of people are starting to wear them around the city... especially tourists.

I saw a guy wearing one last night while I was at Wal-Mart. I did a double take because the old-timers down here seem apathetic about the Nats (so far).

ewokpelts
02-04-2005, 12:24 PM
They aren't as bad as they could have been... they could have really played up a red-white-blue theme. They also could have used that annoying teal or seafoam green most of the new teams seem to enjoy so much. I think they're simple... and I do like the hats (red with a script white "W"). A lot of people are starting to wear them around the city... especially tourists.i've seen the bp caps in a catalog...they have DC on them....kinda cool...
Gene

PaleHoseGeorge
02-04-2005, 12:27 PM
I-N-S-I-P-I-D.

This is clearly a uniform designed by committee. The shirts don't match the cap. If it wasn't for the RW&B colors, Washington's shirts would have more in common with the Home Run Derby's shirts than Washington's caps.

I agree with whoever said these uniforms will be plowed over as soon as a new owner takes over from MLB and gets busy building an identity for his/her team.

jake27
02-04-2005, 12:27 PM
the "nationals" jersey does look too much like an all-star game uniform

mjharrison72
02-04-2005, 12:33 PM
I-N-S-I-P-I-D.

This is clearly a uniform designed by committee. The shirts don't match the cap. If it wasn't for the RW&B colors, Washington's shirts would have more in common with the Home Run Derby's shirts than Washington's caps.

I agree with whoever said these uniforms will be plowed over as soon as a new owner takes over from MLB and gets busy building an identity for his/her team.
This is true... why not stick with the old-school feel of the hats and do a script "Washington" or "Nationals" across the chest to match the hats? I am a little dumbfounded.
The alternate jerseys are on the way yet... I am sure they will be all red, and maybe will incorporate the script "Washington."

Brian26
02-04-2005, 12:37 PM
It's a shame they didn't go with "Senators". The old Sentators unis seemed so much cooler. The uniforms are extremely bland. I like the DC patch on the road sleeve.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Three points:

1. The club is actually also going to have an alternate jersey that is not finished being designed yet.

2. I also agree. New ownership, new uniforms (although perhaps not immediately)

3. Some in the new organization wanted to use the name 'Senators.' However they then discovered that name is owned by the Texas Rangers as part of their deal when they left Washington after the 1971 season. The Rangers were willing to 'negotiate' (Hint : $$$$$) for the name. The Washington group then said 'no thanks...' Much as the New Orleans NBA team did when they started talking with Utah about getting the name 'Jazz' back.

Lip

Hangar18
02-04-2005, 12:50 PM
That is a Very Ugly Uniform .......... looks Eeerily similar to .......
The Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles' uni's. Drab, Unimaginative,
and the hats are COPIED blatantly from the old Senators hats.
They Shouldve went with the "DC" on the hat, that would look cool ......

JKryl
02-04-2005, 12:50 PM
It almost looks like they're trying to get a Negro League look, which isn't bad if they pick the right team to copy. These just look too bland.

eriqjaffe
02-04-2005, 01:11 PM
...and the hats are COPIED blatantly from the old Senators hats.Well, it's not like they were making a secret of where the hat came from. But it certainly doesn't mesh with the rest of the package.

FightingBillini
02-04-2005, 01:22 PM
That is a Very Ugly Uniform .......... looks Eeerily similar to .......
The Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles' uni's. Drab, Unimaginative,
and the hats are COPIED blatantly from the old Senators hats.
They Shouldve went with the "DC" on the hat, that would look cool ......

While I agree they look too much like the Angels' unis, I think the Angels' are very classy. The Nats' jerseys are very unimaginative, but at least they aren't gaudy. They probably will change when they move into the new park (2008?). For three years of use, these are more than servicable.

We have to remember that these were designed by MLB, not by the team. They may be a little drab, but they will sell like mad anyway, especially in DC. In three years, I imagine they would change to something like this, accept with "Washington" in script on the road jersey:
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1971_washington.gif (javascript:history.go(-1))
People will LOVE those jerseys, and it will be seen as an attempt to "reconnect" with the community. Everyone who buys the current jerseys will buy these if they change to them.

mjharrison72
02-04-2005, 01:26 PM
3. Some in the new organization wanted to use the name 'Senators.' However they then discovered that name is owned by the Texas Rangers as part of their deal when they left Washington after the 1971 season. The Rangers were willing to 'negotiate' (Hint : $$$$$) for the name. The Washington group then said 'no thanks...' Much as the New Orleans NBA team did when they started talking with Utah about getting the name 'Jazz' back.

Lip
DC also doesn't want to be called "Senators" when DC doesn't have a Senator, as our mayor pointed out. before they picked Nationals. I would have preferred Greys, personally.

Brian26
02-04-2005, 01:42 PM

The difference here is that the "Jazz" name is currently being used. For Utah to sell the "Jazz" name back to New Orleans while having to come up with a completely new name for the Utah franchise would be absolutely absurd.

Wasn't it made known that really MLB has the rights to any name they want? Couldn't MLB have taken the Senators name from Texas if they really wanted to? That's what I've heard.

Chrisaway
02-04-2005, 01:42 PM
I liked the Expos unis better. Nats=Boring

Hokiesox
02-04-2005, 02:26 PM

Yeah, the team is already annoying me around here more than sosa-talk. I crossed 98 rock and the 104.3 off my list when sosa got traded to baltimore, now I may have to cross DC101 (elliot in the morning gets an exemption) and 94.7 off when the "nats" start playing.

And, yes, people are calling them the nats around here. I'm sure the joke misspellings will begin soon. GO GNATS!

mjharrison72
02-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Yeah, the team is already annoying me around here more than sosa-talk. I crossed 98 rock and the 104.3 off my list when sosa got traded to baltimore, now I may have to cross DC101 (elliot in the morning gets an exemption) and 94.7 off when the "nats" start playing.

And, yes, people are calling them the nats around here. I'm sure the joke misspellings will begin soon. GO GNATS!
I'm sure they will not be difficult to swat away when Carlos Beltran comes to town.
I have to admit, the only radio I can muster to listen to in DC is NPR. I'm glad they're getting some coverage and people are getting excited, though. I'm one of the DC dwellers who didn't care what it took to get a team here.

nccwsfan
02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
This is true... why not stick with the old-school feel of the hats and do a script "Washington" or "Nationals" across the chest to match the hats? I am a little dumbfounded.
The alternate jerseys are on the way yet... I am sure they will be all red, and maybe will incorporate the script "Washington."

Like the hats, like the logo, love the team name (keeps with the history of Washington baseball). Not too crazy about the unis- a DC team should have pinstripes and they should go back to the old Senators 'script' look.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Brian:

Since I live in Idaho and the Jazz are the 'home team,' I can tell you the media reported on it at length. New Orleans was interested in getting the 'Jazz' name back and Utah wasn't adverse to selling it. Remember 'Jazz' in Salt Lake City never made any sense plus a new name means new sales for new team merchandise.

And no the name Senators is a copyrighted name owned by the Texas Rangers ballclub not MLB. That's why you see the R in a circle next to team logos. The R stands for 'registered.' This was being discussed a few months back on The Sporting News radio network. It belongs to the Rangers when they moved in 1971 just as when Cleveland was in negotiations to let the 'Browns' go they insisted as part of the deal that the city would now retain the name Browns and the team colors. Modell had to agree to that as one of the conditions of him leaving.

Lip

BRDSR
02-04-2005, 06:02 PM
They also could have used that annoying teal

Teal is annoying. Nobody use it.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Brian:

Since I live in Idaho and the Jazz are the 'home team,' I can tell you the media reported on it at length. New Orleans was interested in getting the 'Jazz' name back and Utah wasn't adverse to selling it. Remember 'Jazz' in Salt Lake City never made any sense plus a new name means new sales for new team merchandise.

Is there any sentimental reason why anyone in Utah (or Idaho) would want to cling to the name Jazz?
:?:

Frankly I'm shocked the team never changed its name. What's it been, 30 years? Criminy... they're the only professional game in town. They could have generated all sorts of civic interest and goodwill with a "name the team" campaign.
:o:

When we're done fixing the Utah Jazz, we'll move on to fixing the Calgary Flames. Gee... I never knew Rhett and Scarlett made a side trip from Atlanta to Alberta.

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn... and neither does anyone else in Calgary!"
:wink:

Lip Man 1
02-04-2005, 06:15 PM
PHG:

I don't think a lot of Jazz fans would be upset if the name was changed. I know they didn't like it when the third incarnation of the team uniforms came out last year but that's about it.

From what I read New Orleans backed off when the Utah organization wanted money in exchange for the name. I guess New Orleans thought because it belonged to that city first when the team was there in the mid 70's that they should have it. Again that's why names and logos are registered copyrights.

Lip

Hangar18
02-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Is there any sentimental reason why anyone in Utah (or Idaho) would want to cling to the name Jazz?

Frankly I'm shocked the team never changed its name. What's it been, 30 years? Criminy... they're the only professional game in town. They could have generated all sorts of civic interest and goodwill with a "name the team" campaign.
:o:

When we're done fixing the Utah Jazz, we'll move on to fixing the Calgary Flames. Gee... I never knew Rhett and Scarlett made a side trip from Atlanta to Alberta.

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn... and neither does anyone else in Calgary!"
:wink:

........but wait, this gets better. The Calgary Flames logo .....
is of a Horse. Dumb. Almost as Bad as the Houston Texans ....
and a Longhorn for a logo.

whitesoxwilkes
02-04-2005, 06:23 PM
........but wait, this gets better. The Calgary Flames logo .....
is of a Horse. Dumb. Almost as Bad as the Houston Texans ....
and a Longhorn for a logo.

That pays homage to the Calgary Stampede...a big ol'rodeo held there each year.

minastirith67
02-04-2005, 06:25 PM
How about the Utah Mormons? Culturally relevant, no?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-04-2005, 06:26 PM

Uhhh... no.

MisterB
02-04-2005, 08:05 PM
And what of the Los Angeles Lakers? LA isn't exactly known for its abundant bodies of water. (I guess the LA Flood Control Basins just didn't have the right ring to it...)

Brian26
02-04-2005, 08:09 PM

Not sure if the arena they play in still has this name, but when it first opened it was called the Calgary Saddle-Dome. Can't beat that!

Brian26
02-04-2005, 08:12 PM
And what of the Los Angeles Lakers? LA isn't exactly known for its abundant bodies of water. (I guess the LA Flood Control Basins just didn't have the right ring to it...)

Of course Minneapolis Lakers makes a heck of a lot more sense, but nobody in their right mind would think of changing the name after the tradition and history that's been established with the Lakers franchise in LA.

Let's take it one step further: LA Dodgers. The "dodgers" nickname originated in Brooklyn when fans would have to dodge the trolley cars to get over to Ebbets Field to see a game. What are people dodging in LA? (other than bullets). It can still work in LA because its a more generic name, but you wouldn't think twice of changing it now.

Brian26
02-04-2005, 08:13 PM

That has potential to sell a lot of jerseys.

Brian26
02-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Brian:

I agree that the "jazz" nickname never really made sense in Utah. If all was right with the world, the New Orleans franchise would go back to "Jazz", and Charlotte would go back to being the "Hornets".

I feel like you sort of piss on history, though, if you just take the Jazz name away from the city (with a 25+ year history) and assign it some generic USFL-type nickname. I guess I'm big on tradition. When Stockton goes to the Hall of Fame, he should be able to say he was on the Utah Jazz and have it mean something.

And no the name Senators is a copyrighted name owned by the Texas Rangers ballclub not MLB.

Honestly, I was going by something Daver said a few months ago. He was pretty adamant that MLB had ultimate authority over all the names and could have taken the Senators name from the Rangers if they wanted.

Church Turtle
02-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I had to catch the thread because I had hoped the unis had changed since my ESPN the mag came. Nope. And Jake was right. They do look like all star game unis.

darklord23
02-04-2005, 11:37 PM
i like the old style look of it

batmanZoSo
02-05-2005, 09:55 PM
They're not bad, but they do look a little too much like the Home Rum Derby uniforms.

That's the first thing I thought.

Didn't the cubs used to be called the Nationals?

Overall I think they're pretty good uniforms. I love the lettering.

SOXintheBURGH
02-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Of course Minneapolis Lakers makes a heck of a lot more sense, but nobody in their right mind would think of changing the name after the tradition and history that's been established with the Lakers franchise in LA.

Let's take it one step further: LA Dodgers. The "dodgers" nickname originated in Brooklyn when fans would have to dodge the trolley cars to get over to Ebbets Field to see a game. What are people dodging in LA? (other than bullets). It can still work in LA because its a more generic name, but you wouldn't think twice of changing it now.

If you have the time, feel free to watch "Baseketball" again sometime.. the introduction is all about this.

"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where they have no lakes.. the New Orleans Jazz moved to Salt Lake City.. where they don't allow music."

California Sox
02-05-2005, 11:42 PM

LOL I thought the exact same thing.

Jerome
02-06-2005, 12:24 AM
:chunks

The most generic boring unis I've ever seen. Why couldn't they go with something cool like Grays or Senators, something with at least some character. Who the hell would want to wear that jersey?

bigfoot
02-06-2005, 06:55 AM
This Just In: A three-team "name trade", with Utah, New Orleans and Charlotte exchanging team names and logos. The new teams will be Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Jazz and Utah Bobcats.

~No word on the proposed trade between the NHL Columbus Blue Jackets and Augusta National.

~If you think that the "Nats" uniforms are bland, wait 'til they are filled with the former Expos players.

Brian26
02-06-2005, 11:21 AM
This Just In: A three-team "name trade", with Utah, New Orleans and Charlotte exchanging team names and logos. The new teams will be Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Jazz and Utah Bobcats.

Actually makes a lot of sense!

Baby Fisk
02-07-2005, 08:45 AM

Correct. The CFL Calgary Stampeders also use a horse logo on their helmets.

DC Sox Fan
02-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the unis, but they have grown on me a little. The "art-deco" style of the lettering is kind of catchy. I do love the hats. I remember playing in a fall baseball league growing up. The teams were named after defunct baseball teams: Pilots, Senators, Browns, etc. It was pretty cool. We were the Senators, and had the Blue hats with the white "W" and red outline. I got a new one for Christmas, and have been wearing it a lot (Hey, my sox hat needs a rest from time to time :wink: ).

I would have loved "Senators" for the historic value. But "Nationals" is not new- of course the senators were known as the Nationals for awhile, and the teams nickname was "The Nats" even when they were officially "The Senators". When we tried to land an expansion team in '93 (Marlins and Rockies, IIRC), our team was to be named "Nationals."

When they had some players out last week to show off the unis and sign autographs, the numbers and names on the backs of the jerseys were disproportionately huge. I hope they fix that- then I'd be totally ok with the unis. Not overwhelmed, but not dissatisfied, either...

Hangar18
02-07-2005, 06:39 PM

Thats interesting, makes sense now that you mention it. Why
didnt the Flames just go with a Cowboys, or RoughRiders or something
like, that? that would actually be cool

WhiteSox967
02-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Esteban is gonna look great in one of those jerseys!

Baby Fisk
02-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Thats interesting, makes sense now that you mention it. Why
didnt the Flames just go with a Cowboys, or RoughRiders or something
like, that? that would actually be cool

There is already a team called the Saskatchewan Roughriders. (http://www.saskriders.com/modules.php?name=News&file=newsdispatches)

eriqjaffe
02-08-2005, 08:48 AM
There actually was an old WHA team known as the Calgary Cowboys (http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/5206/Calgary/ccowboys.html).

And, for the person who asked, the Flames play in the Pengrowth Saddledome, which was originally built for the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary (and was known as the Olympic Saddledome before corporate sponsorship).

DC Sox Fan
02-08-2005, 08:52 AM
The saddledome looks very similar to the old Capital Centre (why spell it canadian-style in the nation's capital)/UsAir/UsAirways Arena. I HATED that place. While it looked cool on the outside, it was in the middle of nowhere, and you were very far away from the ice/court. The MCI center is about a 2/3 replica of United Center and much better...

Saddledome:
http://www.tower-printing.com/img/saddledome.jpg
Cap Centre:
http://lifeinlegacy.com/2002/1221/CapitalCentre.jpg

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
02-10-2005, 04:03 PM
i've pondered what happens if there is realignment and the nationals get put in the AL? do they change their name?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2005, 04:24 PM
i've pondered what happens if there is realignment and the nationals get put in the AL? do they change their name?

Huh?

As charter members of the American League, the official name of the franchise was "Nationals" for most of 50 years. "Senators" was the unofficial name and "Nats" the slang moniker. Think of it like White Sox, Sox, and Pale Hose.

"Senators" was officially adopted as the team's name later.