PDA

View Full Version : Do you shadow any other MLB teams?

Baby Fisk
02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Most of us here follow the Sox very closely and passionately (and frustratingly), but I've seen several posters mention that they like to shadow other teams. This might be because of geography or because it's an NL team or other reasons.

When not living and dying with the Sox, I like to shadow the NY Mets (this comes out of a lifelong Yankee hatred), and because I live in Toronto, I half-heartedly follow the unexciting exploits of the Toronto Black Jays of Rogers Centre.

Which other MLB teams do you shadow? Just wondering...

Palehose13
02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
I pay attention and even like the Brewers. Of course, it's nothing like my love of the Sox but it keeps me busy over here.

Jerko
02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
I've always been a Reds fan.

patbooyah
02-04-2005, 12:17 PM
The fact that I live in Los Angeles, combined with the fact they now have Jose, makes me a dodgers fan.

samram
02-04-2005, 12:22 PM
The fact that I live in Los Angeles, combined with the fact they now have Jose, makes me a dodgers fan.

Yeah, me too. I like the tradition. Great to see that Dreifort will undergo his fourth surgical procedure of the offseason- $55 million well spent.

soltrain21
02-04-2005, 12:25 PM
I have a spot in my heart for the Brew Crew.

tlebar318
02-04-2005, 12:35 PM
I live and die with the White Sox but follow the Devil Rays and Marlins closely since I now have lived in Florida transplanted from Chi-town since 1993.

MUsoxfan
02-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Brewers have always been my 2nd favorite team. It was nice going to school up there because I was always going to games at County and Miller. Now I make it to about 10 games up there a year.

Gosox1917
02-04-2005, 12:39 PM
I enjoy watching the Brew crew beat up on the Flubbies every season. Following the Sox as closely as I do, it's hard to really shadow another team, but if I had to pick one, it would prolly be Miluakee.

mjharrison72
02-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Very excited about the Nationals this year!

RKMeibalane
02-04-2005, 12:44 PM
I shadow the Cardinals and the Mets to a certain extent. I also watch the A's whenever they're on.

ewokpelts
02-04-2005, 01:25 PM
I pay attention and even like the Brewers. Of course, it's nothing like my love of the Sox but it keeps me busy over here.
i endured the pain..i mean joy..of being a brew crew st holder in 2002...(asg tix)...i couldnt even sell the cubs tickets at one point(both teams sucked arse)
Gene

HebrewHammer
02-04-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm proud to say I'm a member of the Sox/Cards alliance.

I also lived in LA for a year and wound up following the Dodgers, so if they're on ESPN or something I'll check them out.

thepaulbowski
02-04-2005, 01:52 PM
The Cubs.
But really, as a kid I used to go to the Reds spring training ever year with my grandparents, so I like to see them do well. I also like to attend a couple games a year at Miller Park to catch the Brewers.

Chrisaway
02-04-2005, 01:56 PM
I bleed White Sox but I also like the Cards and to a lesser extent the Brew Crew. But the Sox are my sick obsession and I dont see that ever changing unless they traded Frank for Sosa.

mantis1212
02-04-2005, 02:01 PM
The 2003 playoffs made me a Marlins fan. I hope they stick around, get a new stadium and get some fans to show up during the season.

idseer
02-04-2005, 02:06 PM
i've always liked the minnesota franchise.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-04-2005, 02:18 PM
The Cubs.

I know you meant it as a joke. Like most good jokes, there is a kernel of truth that underlies the joke everybody finds funny.

What's the Score wouldn't have one-tenth the traffic it actually has if there weren't plenty of Sox Fans shadowing the Cubs.

Gosox1917
02-04-2005, 02:55 PM
I know you meant it as a joke. Like most good jokes, there is a kernel of truth that underlies the joke everybody finds funny.

What's the Score wouldn't have one-tenth the traffic it actually has if there weren't plenty of Sox Fans shadowing the Cubs.

As much as I hate to admit it, your right. However, like all the members here, I only keep up with what they're doing because 1) I have no choice because of the media circus around them 2) To see how much better the Sox are than them.

Palehose Pete
02-04-2005, 03:12 PM
When I'm not following the Sox to the point of distracting me from my everyday life (as it probably happens to every Sox fan at some point in the season), I like to follow the Cardinals, too. I like their tradition, the fact the Big Tony L. manages the team, the fact that they're second only to the Yankees in WS wins and that they are they routinely beat the tar out of the Chubs.

Have the Cards and Sox ever played against each other in interleague games? That would be pretty cool to watch, I think.

OurBitchinMinny
02-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Cards and Astros for obvious reasons. I also dont mind the A's in the AL

DSpivack
02-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Kind of complicated.

Besides the Sox, I do follow the Cubs so I can know more about them than my Cubbie friends when arguing.

My dad used to live near St. Louis, we used to go to a couple games every summer, hence I 'shadow' the Cardinals. They are now my second-fave team.

Living in Atlanta, I do follow the Braves somewhat, but don't really root for them.

Now that my dad lives about 200 miles south of SF, I do somewhat 'shadow' the Giants, but that's only when we go to the games so I know more about the team.

I'm also following the Nats somewhat because hopefully I will be living in DC this summer for an internship.

So that's quite a few teams, but that's me.

siugrad25
02-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Sort of became a Marlins fan when I lived down there. And when they beat the Cubs it was especially nice. Still follow them pretty close and go to games when they play STL, MIL and the Cubs up this way.

longshot7
02-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Well, I'm an Angels season ticketholder, but I also like the Dodgers (but not as much, since they traded my favorite player - Gary Sheffield - a couple of years back.)

Banix12
02-04-2005, 04:07 PM
I usually go to one or two brewers games a year, they the only other team i really closely follow.

MUsoxfan
02-04-2005, 04:08 PM
i've always liked the minnesota franchise.

Teal? Hopefully that was supposed to be in teal

idseer
02-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Teal? Hopefully that was supposed to be in teal

nope. quite serious.
i started to like them when they moved to minnesota from washington. i was a big fan of killebrew, oliva, battey etc. and while i don't have close knowledge of their later teams there's a kind of habit thing going on there.
and you have to admire that they knew how to make the most of what they've had the last few years. what's not to like about the twins?
it's not like i root for them to beat the sox or win the division or anything.
but i do like them.

MUsoxfan
02-04-2005, 04:16 PM
nope. quite serious.
i started to like them when they moved to minnesota from washington. i was a big fan of killebrew, oliva, battey etc. and while i don't have close knowledge of their later teams there's a kind of habit thing going on there.
and you have to admire that they knew how to make the most of what they've had the last few years. what's not to like about the twins?
it's not like i root for them to beat the sox or win the division or anything.
but i do like them.

I just have to hate them out of general principle. The reasons you cited for liking them are good, but I can never like them.

jake27
02-04-2005, 04:20 PM
ive always liked the brewers. i like the pirates, astros, and sadly twins to a lesser extent.

chisox56
02-04-2005, 04:22 PM
The Astros

DarinErstad
02-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Look at my Name. Angels.(even though they hand out the most idiotic contracts next to the mets)

Jjav829
02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
It depends on what you mean by "shadow." I follow all MLB teams. The ones I follow more closely because I root for them are the Cards and Marlins. But I like to pay attention to what is happening with every team and being that I live in Chicago, and on the northwest side, I spend a lot of time talking baseball with Cubs fans.

Edit: I also plan on adopting the Nationals. Go Brad Wilkerson. :cool:

Corlose 15
02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Living in Michigan most of my life, I will watch the Tigers if they're on. Most of my early Sox experiences were watching the Sox at Tiger Stadium. Though, I usually only root for the Tiggers if it helps the Sox.

I will also watch the Flubs if they're on WGN, but only to watch them lose.

Baby Fisk
02-04-2005, 04:35 PM
It depends on what you mean by "shadow." I follow all MLB teams. The ones I follow more closely because I root for them are the Cards and Marlins. But I like to pay attention to what is happening with every team and being that I live in Chicago, and on the northwest side, I spend a lot of time talking baseball with Cubs fans.
Therefore, you shadow the Cards & Marlins. :cool:

nccwsfan
02-04-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't know if I'd say I shadow another team- I follow the Sox every game, but I am excited about the Nationals getting a team. I only have to travel 4 hours to see live MLB again :smile:. Nothing beats going to the ballpark and it should be fun to be in RFK this season...

AZChiSoxFan
02-04-2005, 04:51 PM

I can totally relate to you. I live in Phoenix so I like the D-Backs, Especially this year, with the addition of Royce Clayton.

marlins03
02-04-2005, 04:53 PM
I like to watch the White Sox games my cousin is a White Sox fan
and i watch the games with her so yea i go for the Sox too

AZChiSoxFan
02-04-2005, 04:55 PM
I live and die with the White Sox but follow the Devil Rays and Marlins closely since I now have lived in Florida transplanted from Chi-town since 1993.

We all loved seeing the scrubs choke in 2003 in the NLCS vs. Florida, but it must have been extra sweet for you. :gulp:

BRDSR
02-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Although its now a little cliche, I love to watch the Red Sox play, for a few reasons. I've always hated the Yankees, so rooting for the Red Sox was an obvious choice. I love the history behind the team, everything from the Ruth trade to Ted Williams to the Buckner error, the Red Sox are so interesting. Of course, when their playing the White Sox, any and all allegiance goes out the window. As for NL teams, I've always liked the Cardinals. Come to think of it, I'll pretty much root for any NL Central team not located in Chicago. :wink:

longshot7
02-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Look at my Name. Angels.(even though they hand out the most idiotic contracts next to the mets)

like who? Sometimes you gotta overpay, I think - and hey, Arte's got the money!

Clembasbal
02-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Baltimore...don't kill me. This is the only thing my dad and I agree on. I always loved them and love going there. Sosa on the birds, as much as I hated him on the Cubs I will cheer for him. He will hit 600 as a bird and maybe more, he might even help them beat the Yankees and Red Sox.

Gotta love Baltimore

Hangar18
02-04-2005, 06:52 PM
I "shadow" teams that are playing against the Cubs. I actively
root for them to Win and win big against the Media LoveChildren 8miles north.

I can say I hate a few teams. The Cubs for good reason. Some of the other teams for esoteric reasons, but reason enough.

NyMets. what a bogus franchise. Its fitting they have the UGLIEST uniforms in baseball (shame on them, their blue pinstriped uniform, with the solid blue cap NY was classic)
Black caps, blue and orange bills yeccccccccchhhhhhh. Its Horrrrrrrrrrrible
looking. Especially when they wear the Black Jackets, or the Black Jerseys.

Toronto Black Jays. Same reason. Took a great symbol for a team (bluebird)
and wrecked it by making BLACK their dominant color now (blue jays are Blue, not Black).

Colorado Rockies. Same reason. trying way too hard to make Black their color, and it JUST DOESNT WORK.

Baltimore Orioles. Took a classic looking hat, that smiling bird, one of the funniest, yet cooolest logos Ive ever seen. ANYWHERE. That bird Cannot be mistaken for anything else, but the Orioles. Then they Wrecked the hat
and put a Pigeon on the hat. Unbelievably Poor Judgement.

Texas Rangers. if they get rid of the Black jacket ........

KC Royals. Took a Classic and Good looking uniform/logo, and Screwing everything up by making BLACK the dominant color. yecccccccch. you would think theyd learn the mistake from the Mets. Black and Blue DONT LOOK GOOD TOGETHER. The Black hats, and alternate Black jerseys look horrible, like a team that couldnt afford uniforms and were forced to wear the Varsity Retreads. the home uniform, with the Solid blue cap, and the word "ROYALS" trimmed in black is OK. Its not overdone.

AZ DBacks. Every one of their outfits is horrible looking. Every Single one.
the purple shirt, the black shirt. the Vest. the Pinstriped Home. The alternate Home with the letter "A". The Black Cap. The Black Jacket. The only thing that looks cool, is their Road Gray uniform. Too bad they didnt wear the Purple Cap exclusively, because it looks surprisingly Good on them. And more importantly, its original. Can you believe that? One Purple Hat, and one Road Gray Jersey are the Only things that look good on these clowns?

SD Padres. Milwaukee Brewers ....west coast. Though the Road logo looks cool.

Washington Nationals. Anaheim Angels .....east coast. That uniform
couldnt be any plainer. Im expecting the Harlem Globetrotters to come
out on the field and Pummel them for 162 straight games .

WhiteSoxFan84
02-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Most of us do this, I'll admit it, the Cubs. I watch them and hope they lose. But I have to admit, it's was fun watching them last year. Mainly because they didn't do so well and probably because I enjoy listening to Steve Stone and even Chip Carey.

Other than the hometown teams, I also like to watch some Atlanta Braves games since they have a quite a few of them on TBS.

LauraJ14
02-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Well since I have started playing fantasy baseball, I have paid a lot more attention to all the other teams in MLB. But I really like the Card's and the A's.

robertks61
02-04-2005, 07:32 PM
I have a spot in my heart for the Brew Crew.

I would have been a Brewers fan had the Stadium deal not passed for New Comiskey. I've attended games in Milwaukee for over 20 years.

whitesoxwilkes
02-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Yankees for geographic reasons growing up. (even though I was actually closer to Toronto)
Milwaukee for geographic reasons now.

Dodgers because my Dad was a fan until he switched to the (gah) Chubs a few years ago. Mariners because my Mom lives in Seattle.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-04-2005, 08:10 PM
I've spent too much time and effort around WSI the last six years to "shadow" any other ballclub. In fact my other Chicago rooting interests (like the Bears) have been pushed to the backseat by WSI.

I like the Cardinals because they're winners, something I wish the Sox were, too. I also like the Astros because they seem to be about as screwed up as the Sox the last 40+ years. I think of them as the Sox of the National league. I identify with Oakland because they're a second banana team playing in a "bad" neighborhood and must share their market with a bunch of frontrunning know-nothing idiots.

But I don't "shadow" these teams. I simply don't have the time to do so. It's Sox 24/7/365.

:cool:

jortafan
02-04-2005, 09:04 PM
This may sound strange. But the team that I sort-of-followed and had some interest in is Les Expos de Montreal.

The only time in recent years I've bothered to set foot in Wrigley Field was when the Expos came to town. I used to get a kick out of watching these so-called no-names beat up on the overly pompous Cubs. (And yes, I never saw the Expos lose a game to the Cubs. In fact, the one time I saw a triple play actually happen was by the Expos against those bumbling blue baby bears.

I always got a kick out of the international character of the team, and can't help but think that baseball lost something terribly significant in letting the Expos franchise deteriorate. And I can't say I blame the people of Montreal for not wanting to support a team when baseball officials were constantly saying they preferred to find a new home city for the franchise.

The only consolation for me is that I also believe that baseball dumped on Washington back in the 1970s. I can't help but think that the Dallas-Fort Worth market could have waited a few more years for an expansion team. The notion that the District of Columbia is back in baseball is good, but as an American League fan, I can't help but feel that our league (to what degree the leagues matter anymore) got robbed of a potentially prime franchise.

So I'll end this little diatribe by saying the legacy of Les Expos will live on in my mind. I'll remember the memories of Steve Rogers and Gary Carter, that incredibly talented outfield of Cromartie, Valentine and Dawson that they had back in the late 1970s, Rusty Staub, Tim Raines and (more recently) Vladimir Guerrero.

But should anyone doubt my ultimate loyalties, keep this thought in mind. I still remember a couple of years ago when the Expos were on the South Side of Chicago for a three-game series against the Sox.

I remember Frank Thomas belting a line drive deep back to right field, only to have it die right at the wall and wind up in the glove of Guerrero, who proceeded to wag his finger in a mocking manner at Thomas, before giving him a slightly-vulgar thrust of his hips.

I only wish the turd had had another at-bat in that game. I would have loved to have seen a Sox pitcher buzz one by his head for mocking Big Frank.

batmanZoSo
02-04-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm a Giants fan on the side. I just love the history, the uniforms, the new ballpark--which is easily the best there is today--and they're among the longest suffering franchises like us. Thanks to Dusty "I wish I'd left Ortiz in" Baker.

I don't know what "shadow" means, but I don't go to Giants message boards or purchase MLB packages to watch all their games. I just root for them in the playoffs and in general. I do like to watch when they're on ESPN nationally.

OEO Magglio
02-04-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't care about any other team besides the sox.....well besides the other teams in their division obviously but besides that I'll watch cub games when the sox aren't on just because it's baseball but I don't care about any other team besides the White Sox or teams that effect the Sox.

SOXPHILE
02-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Cardinals. Always have liked 'em. Always will. After the Sox game, I always scroll the sports stations or the internet to see what they've done. The fact that the Nation of The Truly Stupid (Cub fans) hates them makes it even better. It's ironic too, because that was never the reason I started liking them, it just happened to be a convenient coincidence, and makes it that much better when both they, and the White Sox win on the same day, or are both doing well, because it also causes the citizens of the Nation of the Truly Stupid much suffering and teeth nashing.:cool:

PAPChiSox729
02-05-2005, 12:42 AM
I pay attention to the MLB as a whole. The Sox are the only team I consider myself a real fan of. But I, like many Sox fans, always root for the Cardinals and Astros, and I've always liked the Giants.

JUribe1989
02-05-2005, 12:55 AM
I loooooove the Battlin' Buccos, The Pirates of the Three Rivers, or just plain Pittsburgh Pirates. It is especially great when Macko kills the Cubs every time they go to PNC. Other favorites would include Kip Wells, Josh Fogg, and of course Tike Redman!
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:fBTLbd2Z6NsJ:i.esmas.com/image/0/000/003/722/DEBE0903_oliverp_N.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.esmas.com/image/0/000/003/722/DEBE0903_oliverp_N.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.esmas.com/deportes/beisbol/389515.html&h=200&w=220&sz=8&tbnid=fBTLbd2Z6NsJ:&tbnh=92&tbnw=101&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DOliver%2BPerez%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D)
This man, Oliver Perez will be an absolute star! Not that he isn't already.

monkeypants
02-05-2005, 01:40 AM
The first year that I could remember baseball was 1979, the year of the "We Are Family" Pittsburgh Pirates. And the late 80's team were very good as well. So I took a liking to them that has continued although it's been very difficult to root for them recently. In a way they remind me of the Sox. Both teams were around from the start of MLB and both have had good but not overwhelming success(i.e. the Yankies) in their histories. Plus, both team have always had cool and changing uniforms.

The other team I always liked were the Montreal Expos. They were so unique. A team playing America's past time in a foreign country in a city that spoke French. They had a string of very good players (Dawson, Raines, Reardon, Carter, Johnson, Martinez, Walker, Vlad) on some very good teams. Some funky lookin' uniforms with that logo and the tri-color cap and the Fleur du Lille on their last unis. It was all so unique even though Stade Olimpique was a horrible dump. I feel sad about what happened to that franchise and it's fans.
I wish MLB would put a team in Mexico to start a new chapter in international baseball.

Chisox003
02-05-2005, 01:45 AM
I think all the NL central teams like the Cardinals, Pirates and especially the Brew Crew are pretty well liked...I like to root for those small market teams

Ill also cheer for ANY team playing the sCrubs.....But that goes without saying

tlebar318
02-05-2005, 10:03 AM
We all loved seeing the scrubs choke in 2003 in the NLCS vs. Florida, but it must have been extra sweet for you. :gulp:

You got that right! It was quite fun to watch as I was at a sports bar with a friend of mine who truly likes the Scrubs! I had to buy him a beer to get him down from the ledge! :D:

TheBull19
02-05-2005, 10:43 AM
I can say I hate a few teams. The Cubs for good reason. Some of the other teams for esoteric reasons, but reason enough.

NyMets. what a bogus franchise. Its fitting they have the UGLIEST uniforms in baseball (shame on them, their blue pinstriped uniform, with the solid blue cap NY was classic)
Black caps, blue and orange bills yeccccccccchhhhhhh. Its Horrrrrrrrrrrible
looking. Especially when they wear the Black Jackets, or the Black Jerseys.

Toronto Black Jays. Same reason. Took a great symbol for a team (bluebird)
and wrecked it by making BLACK their dominant color now (blue jays are Blue, not Black).

Colorado Rockies. Same reason. trying way too hard to make Black their color, and it JUST DOESNT WORK.

Baltimore Orioles. Took a classic looking hat, that smiling bird, one of the funniest, yet cooolest logos Ive ever seen. ANYWHERE. That bird Cannot be mistaken for anything else, but the Orioles. Then they Wrecked the hat
and put a Pigeon on the hat. Unbelievably Poor Judgement.

Texas Rangers. if they get rid of the Black jacket ........

KC Royals. Took a Classic and Good looking uniform/logo, and Screwing everything up by making BLACK the dominant color. yecccccccch. you would think theyd learn the mistake from the Mets. Black and Blue DONT LOOK GOOD TOGETHER. The Black hats, and alternate Black jerseys look horrible, like a team that couldnt afford uniforms and were forced to wear the Varsity Retreads. the home uniform, with the Solid blue cap, and the word "ROYALS" trimmed in black is OK. Its not overdone.

You forgot to mention the Reds in your classic uniforms-ruined-by-incorporating black tirade. I hate their new uniforms, they need to go back to the classic red and white.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Like many who have already posted here, I "shadow" the other teams in the AL Central, just to make sure they lose often enough for the Sox to take the division. Last season I got a free month of MLB-TV.com from Comcast cable. I also have a laptop computer and a wireless router. I can't adequately describe how cool it was to be grilling steaks on the patio while watching Randy Johnson beat the Twinkies.

HoustonAstros967
02-05-2005, 12:30 PM
As you probably couldn't guess i love the Astros. I live in Chicago but for some reason i just like them a lot. Their my NL team and the Sox are my AL team.