PDA

View Full Version : Who reads View from a Sox Fan?

ChicagoHoosier
02-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Oh my! In the latest article on "View from a Sox Fan," (2/3/05) I see the following words...

Give Joe Borchard another try in spring training, shorten up his swing and work on his defense. But the season shouldn't start with the Borchard experiment playing everyday. Hopefully there's a spot for Timo Perez somewhere.

Not sure of your opinion, but should Borchard even be on this team? The writer also suggested batting Crede 3rd during spring training to boost his confidence? Not sure if that would help.

mweflen
02-04-2005, 11:22 AM
:welcome:

"View From A Sox Fan" in the Cubune is almost invariably a poorly written piece of fluff from someone with little to no knowledge of baseball in general or the Sox in particular. Sometimes I suspect they have Cubs fans masquerading to fill the column. I stopped reading it a while ago, and based on the quotes you posted, I'm glad I have.

ja1022
02-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Oh my! In the latest article on "View from a Sox Fan," (2/3/05) I see the following words...

Not sure of your opinion, but should Borchard even be on this team? The writer also suggested batting Crede 3rd during spring training to boost his confidence? Not sure if that would help.

Time has to be running out for Borchard, but I'm sure he will be given a shot to earn a spot in spring training. If he earns a spot, he won't be run out there everyday ahead of Dye, Podsednik, Rowand, or Everett after Frank returns. Then you have Perez, Gload, and Escobar to consider, along with the other prospects invited to spring training. It doesn't appear that Borchard fits into their plans, and a nice spring training showing may help the Sox move him.

SoxWillWin
02-04-2005, 11:50 AM
As far as I can tell Borchard is hit or miss.....literally. I think it may take a VERY impressive spring for him to get a spot on the roster and I don't believe he has it in him.

RKMeibalane
02-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Borchard's days with the Sox are numbered. Once Thomas comes back, Everett will either end up on the bench, or he will take the place of whichever outfielder isn't playing well. That leaves absolutely no room for Joe, who has had more than enough chances to prove himself.

Malgar 12
02-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Borchard's days with the Sox are numbered. Once Thomas comes back, Everett will either end up on the bench, or he will take the place of whichever outfielder isn't playing well. That leaves absolutely no room for Joe, who has had more than enough chances to prove himself.

I know I am opening a whole can of worms here, but why does everbody feel that Borchard has had enough time to prove himself (which he has) but if you say the samething about Willie Harris (another absolute bust) you get crucified? I just don't understand how anybody thinks A. Harris hasnt had time to prove himself, or B Harris has any talent.

sorry for the digression, I agree, Borchards days are numbered.

RKMeibalane
02-04-2005, 01:01 PM
I know I am opening a whole can of worms here, but why does everbody feel that Borchard has had enough time to prove himself (which he has) but if you say the samething about Willie Harris (another absolute bust) you get crucified? I just don't understand how anybody thinks A. Harris hasnt had time to prove himself, or B Harris has any talent.

sorry for the digression, I agree, Borchards days are numbered.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Sox committed so much money to signing Borchard. Having his big contract attached to their payroll is a considerable drain on the franchise, and so there are a number of people who either want to see him start hitting, or they want him gone. Since it's not likley that he's going to be a productive player, the Sox should be thinking about ways to get him off their hands, and soon.

Harris has also had a number of chances to prove himself, but again, because he's not making as much money, people are willing to be more patient with him. Furthermore, Harris did show (albeit in short stretches) that he can contribute to the team and help the Sox win games. 2005 is probably Willie's last chance to stick with this team, but given that he has accomlished a few things, most fans are willing to leave him alone for the moment.

hold2dibber
02-04-2005, 01:23 PM

I'll take 'em one at a time:

(A) Harris has 733 major league at bats to his credit. That's just over one full season of ABs. If you think that's enough then you probably think it was a mistake to stick with guys like Robin Ventura, Ryne Sandberg, Luiz Gonzalez, Tori Hunter and many, many others who struggled mightly at the start of their careers, for about the same amount of time as Harris has had.

(B) Harris had a lot of success in the minors, which frequently translates to success in the majors. Plus, you make it sound like he was a complete wash out last year (the first time he ever got reasonably consistent playing time). But he hit .262 with an OBP of .343, both of which are entirely respectable numbers. He was incredibly inconsistent, but to suggest that he doesn't have any talent or that he's proven he can't succeed at the MLB level is insupportable.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Mweflen says: "View From A Sox Fan" in the Cubune is almost invariably a poorly written piece of fluff from someone with little to no knowledge of baseball in general or the Sox in particular."

I had a comment printed in the July 12, 2001 edition of the paper. I can assure you I'm not a Cubs fan plant and think that after playing, covering and watching baseball for coming up on 45 years, I think I know a little about it.

Lip

Iwritecode
02-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Mweflen says: "View From A Sox Fan" in the Cubune is almost invariably a poorly written piece of fluff from someone with little to no knowledge of baseball in general or the Sox in particular."

I had a comment printed in the July 12, 2001 edition of the paper. I can assure you I'm not a Cubs fan plant and think that after playing, covering and watching baseball for coming up on 45 years, I think I know a little about it.

Lip

That was probably the last intelligent, informed comment they printed. :wink:

I agree with Mweflen. I good portion (but not all) of the comments are terrible...

RKMeibalane
02-04-2005, 01:43 PM

Lip

I'm sure he didn't mean to group you in with the Cubs fans. Chill out, dude.

JKryl
02-04-2005, 01:44 PM

(A) Harris has 733 major league at bats to his credit. That's just over one full season of ABs. If you think that's enough then you probably think it was a mistake to stick with guys like Robin Ventura, Ryne Sandberg, Luiz Gonzalez, Tori Hunter and many, many others who struggled mightly at the start of their careers, for about the same amount of time as Harris has had.

(B) Harris had a lot of success in the minors, which frequently translates to success in the majors. Plus, you make it sound like he was a complete wash out last year (the first time he ever got reasonably consistent playing time). But he hit .262 with an OBP of .343, both of which are entirely respectable numbers. He was incredibly inconsistent, but to suggest that he doesn't have any talent or that he's proven he can't succeed at the MLB level is insupportable.

That's what I love about this web site, ask a simple question, and you end up with a point by point encyclopedic erudition. You just gotta love WSI. :)

Iwritecode
02-04-2005, 01:44 PM

I don't think it's so much that he doens't have talent as it's where to find room for him on the roster.

The Sox just paid a lot of money for a player they strongly feel can put up numbers equal or better than Harris can. It would almost be a waste to keep him around purely as a back-up second baseman/pinch runner when they still need somebody to back up ss and 3rd.

If Willie could play the other two infield positions I don't think as many people would have a problem.

Malgar 12
02-04-2005, 02:22 PM

Ok, so you think Borchard should get another shot too... right?

Lip Man 1
02-04-2005, 02:25 PM
RK:

Relax. It's not that big a deal... just that sometimes it's not accurate to make broad generalizations.

Lip

mweflen
02-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes, Lip, every once in a while there is a comment by an informed Sox fan, as I'm sure yours was.

It's just not often enough percentage-wise to warrant the calories expended clicking my finger on the mouse, and the 0.5 seconds spent waiting for the page to load.