PDA

View Full Version : From Seattle Paper-Sound Familiar?

duke of dorwood
10-23-2001, 09:56 AM
But they played this month as if they had forgotten everything that had happened to them this year. They played scared. They were tentative. They were shockingly different.

In October, the Mariners showed baseball they still weren't the Yankees.

In the last moments of this last loss, the mocking chants started from the right-field bleachers and worked their way around this storied stadium.

"One sixteen! One sixteen!"

"Over-rated!" Over-rated!"

This crowd mocked the Mariners.

It was a regrettable way to end such a remarkable year.

cheeses_h_rice
10-23-2001, 10:13 AM
I think the Mariners have it worse than the Sox did. They had some dang cocky fans all through the year, and a lot of their fans thought their excrement didn't stink. Can't blame the Yanks fans for rubbing it in one bit...

chisoxt
10-23-2001, 11:49 AM
I think the Mariners have it worse than the Sox did. They had some dang cocky fans all through the year, and a lot of their fans thought their excrement didn't stink. Can't blame the Yanks fans for rubbing it in one bit...

Amen to that brother... case in point is that Seattle sportswriter who occassionally is on with Boers and Bernstein. He is always ripping the Sox and our fans.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-23-2001, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Amen to that brother... case in point is that Seattle sportswriter who occassionally is on with Boers and Bernstein. He is always ripping the Sox and our fans.

I haven't heard this guy. What has he said in the past?

voodoochile
10-23-2001, 12:49 PM
I have to admit that the attitude of a lot of Seattle fans had me rooting for the Yankees in this series. I think there were other factors at work (the recent attacks for one) and I am definitely a HUGE D-Backs fan at the moment, but most of my annimosity was based on the Mariner fans who really were annoying this year. I guess they will have to change their little signoff to M2K2 which leaves me with only one question...

Is Pinella C3P0?

duke of dorwood
10-23-2001, 03:10 PM
So, is Oakland the heir apparant in that division now?

Randar68
10-23-2001, 03:15 PM

Seattle has a TON of FA's this year, and after some great years, won't be able to resign them all......They don't have the farm system for guys to step in right away, as several of their best pitching prospects are coming off injuries.

If Oakland can keep 2 of the 3 of Izzy, Damon, and Giambi, they'll be tough to beat, unless, of course, Texas signs every big name pticher out there....

KempersRS
10-23-2001, 04:12 PM
Seattle's season is really amazing. They just weren't that good! I mean, they were a great team, a first place team even, but 116 wins? No way. Look at that team, the staff, the lineup, the pen. They are good, but 116 wins? Not even close. Their record was misleading, it indicated that were the best team in baseball history, and looking at them, they sure weren't that. Just think about how amazing that number is for wins...116. This is the team with 116 wins? Maybe they do all the little things right, but they were still no where near what a 116 win caliber team should be.

GASHWOUND
10-23-2001, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
Seattle's season is really amazing. They just weren't that good! I mean, they were a great team, a first place team even, but 116 wins? No way. Look at that team, the staff, the lineup, the pen. They are good, but 116 wins? Not even close. Their record was misleading, it indicated that were the best team in baseball history, and looking at them, they sure weren't that. Just think about how amazing that number is for wins...116. This is the team with 116 wins? Maybe they do all the little things right, but they were still no where near what a 116 win caliber team should be.

I don't know what happened to them but their problem is they didn't have a true vet ace. Like Clemens and Mussina. They still have a good team that could match the Yankees by position. The M's had a Great leadoff man, a few good hitters, and a solid Pen. But so did the Yanks. But the yanks had the pitching, while the M's chocked under their own success.

Bmr31
10-23-2001, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

ya think?

MiamiSpartan
10-24-2001, 01:18 PM
I don't get how you win 116 games and not even make it to the World Series....