PDA

View Full Version : Forgetting old numbers

tacosalbarojas
02-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Which player will be most likely to help make us forget the player(s) who formerly wore their jersey number?

1.) Jermaine Dye and his new #23 formerly displayed with Sox pride on the back of Robin Ventura?

2.) Tadahito Iguchi and his new #15 that once not so long ago housed Sandy Alomar Jr. (and of course much longer ago played the horses with the inimitable Dick Allen)

3.) Orlando Hernandez and his new #26, once owned by Ellis Burks.

4.) Scott Podsednik and his new #22, the old Josey V. numeric icon.

5.) Luis Vizcaino and his new #51, once worn by a much taller Jon Rauch.

6.) A.J. Pierzynski and his new #12, once worn by the immortal Chris Singleton and Jorge Fabregas.

7.) Dustin Hermanson and his new #32, once sported so nattily by the Young Alex Fernandez.

Alex Schnellius and I are going to go with Jermaine Dye. I think he has the most potential out of any of the new hires to enjoy an all-star type season. He could also be out by the All-Star break, which is the scary part. But for now, Dye is my pick.

jake27
02-03-2005, 10:20 PM
i want to forget about sandy alomar jr already... so the #15 i would say

tacosalbarojas
02-03-2005, 10:22 PM
i want to forget about sandy alomar jr already... so the #15 i would say
Good answer...hmmmn, maybe I should edit that to read Dick Allen! Put the dunce hat on my head!

SoxFan76
02-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Sandy was a great player and a great man. I hope he comes back to the Sox in a coaching role.

jake27
02-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Sandy was a great player and a great man. I hope he comes back to the Sox in a coaching role.

he was an adiquate player and he was a good guy, no doubt. still want to forget about him (move on) and get into the a.j. era

Hitmen77
02-03-2005, 10:41 PM
he was an adiquate player ....

Are saying "adequate" or "Antiquated"?

Ol' No. 2
02-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Which player will be most likely to help make us forget the player(s) who formerly wore their jersey number?

1.) Jermaine Dye and his new #23 formerly displayed with Sox pride on the back of Robin Ventura?

2.) Tadahito Iguchi and his new #15 that once not so long ago housed Sandy Alomar Jr. (and of course much longer ago played the horses with the inimitable Dick Allen)

6.) A.J. Pierzynski and his new #12, once worn by the immortal Chris Singleton and Jorge Fabregas.

7.) Dustin Hermanson and his new #32, once sported so nattily by the Young Alex Fernandez.

Alex Schnellius and I are going to go with Jermaine Dye. I think he has the most potential out of any of the new hires to enjoy an all-star type season. He could also be out by the All-Star break, which is the scary part. But for now, Dye is my pick.I, for one, will NEVER forget Jorge Fabregas.

mcfish
02-03-2005, 11:32 PM

Alex Schnellius and I are going to go with Jermaine Dye. I think he has the most potential out of any of the new hires to enjoy an all-star type season. He could also be out by the All-Star break, which is the scary part. But for now, Dye is my pick.Seriously, how much would it take to make me forget Jon Rauch? I gotta go with Vizcaino. Dye could be the second coming of Christ and most here wouldn't forget about Robin Ventura.

MUsoxfan
02-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Scotty Po could make me forget about Jose REAL quick when he steals about 15 bases in April.

jake27
02-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Are saying "adequate" or "Antiquated"?

adequate.. its late... i know there is a spell check but just getting kinda lazy tonight

HomeFish
02-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Don't forget that Ed Farmer was #22 as well.

doublem23
02-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Scotty Po could make me forget about Jose REAL quick when he steals about 15 bases in April.

Jose's real underrated on these boards. Behind the Big Hurt's monster year, and the collective season Sirotka, Eldred, Baldwin, and Parque put up, he was the most important piece to that glorious, glorious summer.

I hope Podsednik's the man, but you can't forget the 'stache.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-04-2005, 02:54 AM
As far as I'm concerned, aside from Robin's 23, I could care less about the rest of the guys or the number they wear. If all that had to be done was activate all retired numbers to get a World Series title, I'd be for it in a heartbeat! Unlike the Flubs, who have a few players in recent memory ( for folks over 35 or so ) who played their entire career for the losingest franchise in pro sports, the Sox haven't had players do that in the last thirty years or so. Thomas would be the first, if he lasts. I have little attachtment to numbers, aside from 3, and to a lesser extent, 72. So many Sox greats only spent a part of their career here. I really think JR wants to change that. He wants Thomas to be a Sox for life. Not that that's a bad thing, if it's done for the right reasons. Some of my favorites, whose numbers I don't remember: Zisk ( a fellow Polski ), Soderholm, Gamble, Garr, Forster ( another guy with buffet issues ), Kevin Bell, ( what coulda been ), Luzinski, the Laws, Kitty, Blaxckjack......this is what happens when you drink after working a double and then some..............

Jabroni
02-04-2005, 03:03 AM
Jose's real underrated on these boards. Behind the Big Hurt's monster year, and the collective season Sirotka, Eldred, Baldwin, and Parque put up, he was the most important piece to that glorious, glorious summer.

I hope Podsednik's the man, but you can't forget the 'stache.Agreed, Valenstache was an absolute STUD in 2000.

Valenstache's numbers in 2000 (http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=123610&statType=1)
.273 AVG
.343 OBP
.491 SLG
.834 OPS
25 HR
92 RBI
19 SB

Wow, we really robbed the Brewers in that trade. Jose Valentin and Cal Eldred for Jaime Navarro and John Snyder? :tongue:

Unfortunately, it's 5 years later and Jose has become a one-sided, swing-for-the-fences type of player in his old age. But that season was pretty damn incredible.

fquaye149
02-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Alex Schnellius and I are going to go with Jermaine Dye. .

Me, D.J., Carol, and Phil are going with #51.

Jose Vizcaino.....yes!

nccwsfan
02-04-2005, 06:07 AM
Going with my 'Pick to Click' here- Pierzynski. He's going to be a fan favorite by year's end.....

cubhater
02-04-2005, 06:46 AM

Didn't Roberto Alomar also wear #12? That's my pick.

Church Turtle
02-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Going with my 'Pick to Click' here- Pierzynski. He's going to be a fan favorite by year's end.....

Me too. Not to say I don't think Dye will have a great season. I'm excited about several players on the list, but forget Robin? Not yet. Give me a few more years. (decades?)

DC Sox Fan
02-04-2005, 09:31 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. #22 will always belong to the illustrious Joel Skinner, and #12 to "Psycho" Steve Lyons. No one else should ever wear those jersey #'s again.

wdelaney72
02-04-2005, 10:13 AM
I hope Podsednik's the man, but you can't forget the 'stache.

I'll forget him very easily, thank you very much.

tacosalbarojas
02-04-2005, 10:15 AM
I, for one, will NEVER forget Jorge Fabregas.A ha - I knew Fabs would strike a nerve with someone!

tacosalbarojas
02-04-2005, 10:18 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. #22 will always belong to the illustrious Joel Skinner, and #12 to "Psycho" Steve Lyons. No one else should ever wear those jersey #'s again.Absolutely...how could I have left them out?

billnahorodny
02-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Didn't Roberto Alomar also wear #12? That's my pick.

#12 will always be Eric Solderholm for me!

mcfish
02-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Agreed, Valenstache was an absolute STUD in 2000.

Valenstache's numbers in 2000 (http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=123610&statType=1)
.273 AVG
.343 OBP
.491 SLG
.834 OPS
25 HR
92 RBI
19 SB

Wow, we really robbed the Brewers in that trade. Jose Valentin and Cal Eldred for Jaime Navarro and John Snyder? :tongue:

Unfortunately, it's 5 years later and Jose has become a one-sided, swing-for-the-fences type of player in his old age. But that season was pretty damn incredible.Those are fine numbers, but "absolute STUD?" He wasn't even the best shortstop that year - A-Rod, Nomar, Jeter, and Tejada all put up better numbers. Good trade, sure, and he was a key player in the season, but those numbers don't really tell me stud.

SoxWillWin
02-04-2005, 11:03 AM
To me all will be forgotten except for 22 & 23. It's hard to forget Ventura who was one of the best 3rd basemen we've had in a while. And Valentin not because he was the best but because of his fire and no quit attitude. I remember watching a game in Oakland last year where Valentine struck out three times then hit a homer in the late innings to tie the game.

eshunn2001
02-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Agreed, Valenstache was an absolute STUD in 2000.

.273 AVG
.343 OBP
.491 SLG
.834 OPS
25 HR
92 RBI
19 SB

Unfortunately, it's 5 years later and Jose has become a one-sided, swing-for-the-fences type of player in his old age. But that season was pretty damn incredible.

Yeah he was a stud in 2000, Hello, welcome to 2005.

C-Dawg
02-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Don't forget that Ed Farmer was #22 as well.

And Richie Zisk too, for whoever mentioned him earlier. And the late Ivan Calderon as well, if my memory is correct.

idseer
02-05-2005, 05:41 PM
I, for one, will NEVER forget Jorge Fabregas.

wasn't he the guy that invented those decorated eggs? :smile:

jlim
02-05-2005, 06:45 PM
I don't want to see anyone in #23 again unless it's Robin back on the team as a coach :(:

Brian26
02-05-2005, 06:49 PM
I remember watching a game in Oakland last year where Valentine struck out three times then hit a homer in the late innings to tie the game.

That was a hell of a game. I wish we could have pulled off that win. Wasn't it a Thursday or Friday night? We ended up losing, and things started to unravel rather quickly.

delben91
02-05-2005, 08:37 PM

What about Chris Snopek???