PDA

View Full Version : Best mlb road trip ever?

veeter
02-03-2005, 05:46 PM
The seven gamer in 2000. Four with Cleveland then three with the Yankees. Not only because of who they were playing but the total dominance the Sox showed. That stretch froze baseball in it's tracks. They were, for that week, Kings of the baseball world. (And so was I!!)

samram
02-03-2005, 06:13 PM
It was three with Cleveland and four with the Yankees, but still a very fun week.

Hangar18
02-03-2005, 06:17 PM
The seven gamer in 2000. Four with Cleveland then three with the Yankees. Not only because of who they were playing but the total dominance the Sox showed. That stretch froze baseball in it's tracks. They were, for that week, Kings of the baseball world. (And so was I!!)

Agreed. They were starting to get the Attention of the Baseball World,
and Reluctantly, the CHicago Media were being forced to stop talking
about the Cubs and talk about the SOX. Anyone remember how the Chicago
Media, BEFORE that 7 game roadtrip, kept saying the SOX had an easy schedule, they will have to prove they BELONGED on the charts on that roadtrip? And remember what the SOX did? they Went 7-0, including
the Whipping they gave the Yankees on Sunday. It was an Amazing Stretch .....the SOX getting the attention ....and then DELIVERING.
It was still a Cubbie summer Media-Wise, as the Media and mike murphy instead wanted to know what was wrong with the flubbies, and why the Trib wasnt spending more $$$. Heck, the Media was giving the Cubs
TWICE the coverage (which would later give Rise to my Media Watch & Random Thoughts Segments here) infuriating most SOX fans.

Remember how the Fans greeted the SOX on that first Monday Nite home?
They got a unplanned and totally Spontaneous Standing Ovation from the
35,000 or so that were there. I was at that game ........ and that moment
still gives me Goosebumps thinking about it. That roadtrip was one of the
best, because the Chicago Media was STILL trying to rain on the SOX parade
at that point, and the Media got 7 Kicks-in-The-Pants instead.

nebraskasox
02-03-2005, 06:18 PM
I'd like to see us sweep on a west coast trip some time. Wouldn't that be a change of pace?

ewokpelts
02-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Media, BEFORE that 7 game roadtrip, kept saying the SOX had an easy schedule, they will have to prove they BELONGED on the charts on that roadtrip? And remember what the SOX did? they Went 7-0, including
the Whipping they gave the Yankees on Sunday. It was an Amazing Stretch .....the SOX getting the attention ....and then DELIVERING.
It was still a Cubbie summer Media-Wise, as the Media and mike murphy instead wanted to know what was wrong with the flubbies, and why the Trib wasnt spending more $$$.

henry,
they drew 46 thousand that night....
Gene

NSSoxFan
02-03-2005, 06:33 PM
henry,
Gene

Yes they did.

Kogs35
02-03-2005, 06:43 PM
It was still a Cubbie summer Media-Wise, as the Media and mike murphy instead wanted to know what was wrong with the flubbies, and why the Trib wasnt spending more $$$. Heck, the Media was giving the Cubs
TWICE the coverage (which would later give Rise to my Media Watch & Random Thoughts Segments here) infuriating most SOX fans.

that was the best week ever.

Palehose13
02-03-2005, 06:54 PM

Wasn't there a bunch of fans waiting for them at the airport too or was that another time?

veeter
02-03-2005, 07:02 PM
It was three with Cleveland and four with the Yankees, but still a very fun week. Sorry about that. I'm usually a stickler for correctness. I'm doing my 50 push-ups right now.

SOXintheBURGH
02-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Aren't we the only team to ever sweep 4 at Yankee Stadium in the last 15 years, and we did it twice?

santo=dorf
02-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Aren't we the only team to ever sweep 4 at Yankee Stadium in the last 15 years, and we did it twice?

The Blue Jays did it back in 2003.

DaveIsHere
02-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I'd like to see us sweep on a west coast trip some time. Wouldn't that be a change of pace?

Holy Crap, would that be awesome, hell if we finished that trip .500 would be great

SOXintheBURGH
02-03-2005, 07:35 PM
The Blue Jays did it back in 2003.

Bleh. I thought it was just us. Nonetheless, we rule.

doublem23
02-03-2005, 07:43 PM
henry,
Gene

Yeah, I was at that game and it was a complete sell-out.

doublem23
02-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Wasn't there a bunch of fans waiting for them at the airport too or was that another time?

Don't know. The only time I remember people waiting at the airport was after they clinched the division in Minnesota.

Man, that was a fun year. Can't believe it's going to be 5 years already.

tacosalbarojas
02-03-2005, 08:02 PM
still gives me Goosebumps thinking about it. .
That was the best, wasn't it, Hangar? I'm a rah-rah guy anyhow, so I just ate that standing 'o' up. Never will forget that for its spontanieity and genuine good feel, like the Na Na of 1977 it was born of spirit. One reason I'm not a huge fan of the new player intros - makes it a little more artificial. Well, maybe we can get some good ramp chants on the way out of the park going again this summer - another nice ritual that we haven't captured nearly the same way as we did in the summer of 2000.

BRDSR
02-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Don't know. The only time I remember people waiting at the airport was after they clinched the division in Minnesota.

Man, that was a fun year. Can't believe it's going to be 5 years already.

My mind tends to separate that year into two different seasons, pre and post All Star Break. The White Sox had always been my team, but 2000 was the first year I was really old enough to go to the stadium on my own(somewhat of a trek for a 14 yearold from the Northwest 'burbs). It was the first time I remember the White Sox having any control over my demeanor during the day. The first half of that season was awesome, absolutely dominating, and then the second half they came back to earth. I went to the last game of the season, against the Red Sox, and got bad upper deck tickets a few minutes before the game. It was a terribly lackluster effort, capping a 5 game losing streak to enter the playoffs, which they lost 3 straight. That was painful.

P.S. Remember how winning that division title ended the Indians 5-year reign atop the central? Maybe this is the year to end the Twin's reign.:rolleyes: (I don't really know what that face is for, but I'm going to use it as the smiley looking to God for assistance)

Gosox1917
02-04-2005, 12:29 AM
First off,

:threadrules:

That was so far in my life of being a Sox fan, the best season ever. I loved watching that team play that summer. Their performance really shut up a lot of Anti-sox people I knew. Ahhhh, the memories.

Hangar18
02-04-2005, 07:23 PM
henry,
Gene

Your right. Dont let anyone, namely the Media tell you there ARENT
sox fans in this town. What an Amazing week that was.