PDA

View Full Version : Look ma...another "I e-mailed Brooks" thread...

hsnterprize
02-03-2005, 08:33 AM
...however, I think you'll like what I told him. I tried to be as respectful as I could because I know a lot of nutcases have sent him stuff. Anyway...here goes...

Mr. Boyer,

I'm sure you've been deluged with idea after idea...some good, some bad, some silly, and some down right outrageous, about what the White Sox can do when Sammy Sosa and his Baltimore Orioles come to town in mid-May. I, along with other Sox fans, are a little concerned about how the media/Cub fan deluge will affect the atmosphere at U.S. Cellular Field...especially considering all the work you and others have done to restore the "Sox Pride" on the south side. I'm sure you know the LAST thing the Sox players, organization, and especially fans want is a throng of Cub fans coming to our park to voice their admiration and/or disgust towards their former hero. So if I may, let me give a suggestion not necessarity for a "Sammy promotion" for his first return to Chicago since his well-known trade to the O's, but a way the Sox and their fans can further solidify their bond...even with all the outside attention focused on an high-profile visitor in orange and black.

My thought is instead of just a single day of possibly countering the "Sosa love" or "Sosa hate" that's inevitibly coming to the Cell this spring, why not have a week-long fan fair-style celebration at the ballpark. This "fan fair" could stretch for not only the 4-game weekend series against Baltimore May 12th through the 15th, but also the 3-game series against the Texas Rangers thereafter. Since Sox Fest was such a success this year, then why not try to recreate that sense during the season? I've heard of teams doing things for fans such as having players take tickets at gates, special autograph sessions, contests and giveaways, and other such fun-fill activities that further solidify "Sox Pride". Maybe during that week, there could be a special ceremony honoring past Sox greats. For example, seeing recent greats like Carlton Fisk honored before a game would be something special and educational for younger fans who don't remember #72's impact with the Pale Hose.

Like I said before, I know you've been hit with a ton of e-mails suggesting everything from the simple to the sublime as far as countering the Sammy Sosa-based hype that will come to our ballpark when the Orioles come to town. For all I know, you and your staff are already coming up with ways to deal with that upcoming series, from single-day promotions, to nothing at all. But whatever you do, please understand that all of us fans have one common thread...to do our part not to let our team be continually overshadowed by a player we weren't too crazy about, and not let his former fans steal the spotlight in our ballpark. Even if Cubs fans, despite all the negativity surrounding their perceptions about the Cell, decide to flood U.S. Cellular Field with the intentions of voicing their opinions towards Sosa, we Sox fans will rise up and show them that if they want to gripe at Baltimore's newest #21...they'll have to do it someplace else. This is OUR ballpark, OUR side of town, and "Sox Pride" will not be stepped on by hype over someone who wore out his welcome on the north side. You know our passion for our team is strong...let's keep it going in the face of this salsa-filled storm coming on the horizon.

Brooks, let me be the 1 billionth Sox fan to tell you you've been doing a great job in your position. Keep up the great work...we'll be watching you. "Sox Pride" won't let us be stagnant.

Thanks,

I hope I made some good points. Any comments?

HebrewHammer
02-03-2005, 09:17 AM
I'd like to see a Frank Thomas appreciation day the same day as the first Baltimore game, but I like you idea too, I better go email Brooks about that.

Jerko
02-03-2005, 10:12 AM
PLEASE let this season start already. Boyer's going to retire if he keeps getting inundated with this stuff. How about this for a promotion: Sox fans, get your asses to the Cell and buy tickets for those 4 games so the CUB FANS CAN'T SHOW UP. Sign off of WSI for 5 minutes and get to chisox.com and order some tickets. It's embarrassing that fans of other teams outnumber us at our own park sometimes. That's up to the fans to fix, not Boyer. Plus, I'd rather have the players focused on, like, winning those games instead of worrying about their appearance schedule for an in-season fan fair. Ugh.

Clembasbal
02-03-2005, 10:21 AM
PLEASE let this season start already. Boyer's going to retire if he keeps getting inundated with this stuff. How about this for a promotion: Sox fans, get your asses to the Cell and buy tickets for those 4 games so the CUB FANS CAN'T SHOW UP. Sign off of WSI for 5 minutes and get to chisox.com and order some tickets. It's embarrassing that fans of other teams outnumber us at our own park sometimes. That's up to the fans to fix, not Boyer. Plus, I'd rather have the players focused on, like, winning those games instead of worrying about their appearance schedule for an in-season fan fair. Ugh.

Hey, yesterday I bought two tickets to every game. I did my part. (My dad is a long time Oriole fan, so he wanted to go - at least he won't be bashing Sosa like those loser Cub fans that are going to be there).

nebraskasox
02-03-2005, 10:55 AM

Amen.

gosox41
02-03-2005, 01:35 PM

But JR is so evil and he hurt my feelings once.

I agree with your post 100%. But if that happened then there'd be no one here to bash anything.

Bob

Kuzman
02-03-2005, 01:47 PM

Atta Boy! I did my part and went to a game every time I could last season. I originally was gonna get the 9 game pack with my uncle but times got hard, but once times came back i was able to go to 10 games :) So I did my part and will continue to do my part this season.

OG4LIFE
02-03-2005, 01:49 PM
in general, when you are writing an email to someone busy (pretty much anyone these days)- keep it short, sift out all the bs fluff and ass-kissing. when you've got a spare 10 mins and 50, 100+ emails to sift through, something that long gets skimmed, and maybe get a 1 sentence reply, if you're lucky.

ewokpelts
02-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I'd like to see a Frank Thomas appreciation day the same day as the first Baltimore game, but I like you idea too, I better go email Brooks about that.
But the promo that was already in place is better suited for Sham-Me: HOT DOG DAY.
Gene

ewokpelts
02-03-2005, 02:23 PM
:reinsy
You're right Jerko, It's the fans fault(that includes you Jerko).

Gene

bennyw41
02-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey, yesterday I bought two tickets to every game. I did my part. (My dad is a long time Oriole fan, so he wanted to go - at least he won't be bashing Sosa like those loser Cub fans that are going to be there).

I don't know about you guys, but I plan on Stub hubbing those tickets. Nothing makes me feel warmer inside than gouging cub fans.

ewokpelts
02-03-2005, 02:55 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I plan on Stub hubbing those tickets. Nothing makes me feel warmer inside than gouging cub fans.
Try craigslist......no fees
chicago.craigslist.org

Gene

MUsoxfan
02-03-2005, 02:57 PM

Nothing I hate more than seeing blue at the Cell

Jerko
02-03-2005, 03:00 PM
:reinsy
You're right Jerko, It's the fans fault(that includes you Jerko).

Gene

You're right. I guess I better give up my season tickets and just email Boyer with stupid ideas on those days instead. Too bad, now I'm gonna miss out on the "players work the gates instead of getting ready for the game just to spite Sosa" day.

soxfan26
02-03-2005, 03:18 PM
I hope I made some good points. Any comments?

In the future keep it short and sweet. I didn't even read it and I'd bet a wooden nickel that Brook's won't either.

soxwon
02-03-2005, 05:24 PM

simple solution sox fans.
Go out and Buy up all the tickets for the series.
im going to 3 games.

lets put our money where our mouths are
sellout the CELL- keep cub fans out!!!

soxwon
02-03-2005, 05:26 PM
problem is Cub fans will boo sosa, but still cheer baltimore on to beat us.

i cant see one stinkin cub fan rooting for us.

zach074
02-03-2005, 05:44 PM
I think it should be Robin Ventura day!

NSSoxFan
02-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I think it should be Robin Ventura day!

Now that is a good idea.