PDA

View Full Version : White Sox movies?

mjharrison72
02-02-2005, 04:14 PM
I am so hard-up to see some baseball (and am unable to receive ESPN Deportes to watch the Serie Caribe), so I was browsing Netflix to see if there were any White Sox DVDs... it seemed to come up empty. Are there any films about the White Sox (besides Eight Men Out and Field of Dreams) that feature actual game footage? Something documentary-like? And something Netflix would have available?
Short of that, any good baseball movies worth seeing? Should I move "61*" up my Netflix queue?

chaz171
02-02-2005, 04:16 PM
I am so hard-up to see some baseball (and am unable to receive ESPN Deportes to watch the Serie Caribe), so I was browsing Netflix to see if there were any White Sox DVDs... it seemed to come up empty. Are there any films about the White Sox (besides Eight Men Out and Field of Dreams) that feature actual game footage? Something documentary-like? And something Netflix would have available?
Short of that, any good baseball movies worth seeing? Should I move "61*" up my Netflix queue?

You forgot to mention Major League II they played the Sox in the Playoffs.....

Dreadful......

OurBitchinMinny
02-02-2005, 04:17 PM
You forgot to mention Major League II they played the Sox in the Playoffs.....

Dreadful......

The sox got parkman and couldnt close the deal...a lot of those comedy based movies had the sox as the evil good team. Must have been made mid '90s. I remember the sox were the opponent in angels in the outfield too. They were the defending champs in ML 2.

mjharrison72
02-02-2005, 04:20 PM
I mean seriously... at this point, I would almost settle for somebody who could send me a videotape of a couple of last year's games.

Major League one, despite the lack of parkman or any "Sox," was far superior to its sequel.

Wsoxmike59
02-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Here are a few of my favorite Baseball Movies

1) Eight Men Out
2) Field of Dreams
3) The Rookie
4) Pride of the Yankees
5) A League of Their Own
6) It Happens Every Spring
7) The Stratton Story

chaz171
02-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Classic Sports a while back was showing a late 1970's clam digger era game......I forget who was pitching.... probably Wilbur

I forgot to mention the Stratton Story......that was about a Sox Player......

TommyJohn
02-02-2005, 04:26 PM

Try "The Stratton Story" with Jimmy Stewart, from 1949. It features Jimmie
Dykes as himself and there are some good shots of old Comiskey Park as it
looked in that era.

"The Pride of the Yankees" also features old Comiskey Park, but no actual
game footage.

mjharrison72
Here are a few of my favorite Baseball Movies

1) Eight Men Out
2) Field of Dreams
3) The Rookie
4) Pride of the Yankees
5) A League of Their Own
6) It Happens Every Spring
7) The Stratton Story

No Bull Durham?
Let me reiterate, though, that I sort of want to see actual baseball being played, rather than actors pretending to play baseball.
And I refuse to watch the Red Sox documentary again... sorry, Fenway.

Ol' No. 2
Short of that, any good baseball movies worth seeing? Should I move "61*" up my Netflix queue?You can always watch Bull Durham again. I've watched him bean that Bull a dozen times and it still breaks me up.

FireReinsdorf
02-02-2005, 04:32 PM
I once saw a TV move about Satchel Paige, Don't Look Back: The Story of Leroy 'Satchel' Paige http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082277/combined, and really liked it.

I believe the movie ends with Satchel taking the mound in Real Comiskey Park.

Anyone else see it?

SoxFan78
02-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Im not sure if this is a rumor or not, but in Bernie Mac's movie "Mr. 3000", did the White Sox refuse to let Bernie Mac use the White Sox as the team he played on?

jackbrohamer
02-02-2005, 05:54 PM
That movie with John Candy where Maureen O'Hara plays his mother. Only The Lonely or something like that; OK movie but IIRC there's a scene where he has a picnic on the field at the Cell.

Gosox1917
02-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Im not sure if this is a rumor or not, but in Bernie Mac's movie "Mr. 3000", did the White Sox refuse to let Bernie Mac use the White Sox as the team he played on?

I read an article with Bernie Mac in sportsweekly soon after the movie came out. He said he was wanting to use the White Sox instead of Miluakee but because they would have been filming during all the all-star game festivities, it wouldn't have worked out. I also remembering him saying how big of a Sox fan he was and how heartbroken he became after the '03 collapse to the Twinkies.

Lip Man 1
02-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Interesting that Bernie Mac would say that...he said something completely different one time when he was signing the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley I believe.

Lip

Gosox1917
02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/QandA/2003/0728/

Here's an article from SI from July 2003 with Bernie confirming his loyalty to the Sox.

SI: Cubs or White Sox?

Mac: I'm a White Sox fan, but they will never do anything as long as Jerry Manuel is the manager, and that's no disrespect. I just mean he cannot motivate the players the way he should.

SI: OK, so you're Jerry Reinsdorf. Who would you hire as manager? Mac: I like Jeff Torborg. I think he was a good manager.

Haha...the comment about Manuel made me laugh, and he was right on with it too.

SOXPHILE
02-02-2005, 11:04 PM
This is really obscure, and I'm ashamed to even have remembered it, but...when I was a kid, I remember there being a T.V. movie, I think it was a Disney movie, with Gary Coleman, called "The Kid From Right Field" (or left field, not sure). Anyway, little Arnold Drumond was a batboy for the San Diego Padres, and he helped them get to the World Series by telling the players how to hit better. He'd tell them if they were too far off the plate, or were taking their eye off the ball, stuff like that. Anway, the Padres go to the World Series, and guess who they play ? That's right, YOUR Chicago White Sox. Unfortunatly, San Diego wins the Series in typical Hollywood fashion, a walk off game 7 home run by one of the players that was Gary Coleman's pal, and who had been having a hard time or something. Bad movie, even worse ending....

Church Turtle
02-03-2005, 12:10 AM
That movie with John Candy where Maureen O'Hara plays his mother. Only The Lonely or something like that; OK movie but IIRC there's a scene where he has a picnic on the field at the Cell.
Yeah - Only the Lonely (Ithink the Roy Orbison song even is played at the beginning) and it was old Comiskey that they have the pic-nic in. Candy says something to the effect of "I can't believe they're going to tear this pace down." Not a great movie.
I like that someone put Pride of the Yankees, a lot of non baseball stuff in it though. Mother likes this wallpaper, Lou and wife like a different wallpaper - probably not as fulfilling as ML or BD.
Nobody mentioned the forgetable "Mr. Baseball" with Tom Selleck. Doesn't he end up with the White Sox when he returns from Japan?

StockdaleForVeep
02-03-2005, 01:17 AM
atleast its implied in major league II that the sox swept the indians in the post season, so its somethin

Also frank thomas is in Mr. Baseball, its something....lol

TDog
02-03-2005, 02:38 AM
Yeah - Only the Lonely (Ithink the Roy Orbison song even is played at the beginning) and it was old Comiskey that they have the pic-nic in. Candy says something to the effect of "I can't believe they're going to tear this pace down." Not a great movie. ...

It was a wonderful, solidly acted, intelligent movie that depicts Chicago as a city with White Sox fans. Even Jim Belushi is a White Sox fan.

TommyJohn
02-03-2005, 09:45 AM
This is really obscure, and I'm ashamed to even have remembered it, but...when I was a kid, I remember there being a T.V. movie, I think it was a Disney movie, with Gary Coleman, called "The Kid From Right Field" (or left field, not sure). Anyway, little Arnold Drumond was a batboy for the San Diego Padres, and he helped them get to the World Series by telling the players how to hit better. He'd tell them if they were too far off the plate, or were taking their eye off the ball, stuff like that. Anway, the Padres go to the World Series, and guess who they play ? That's right, YOUR Chicago White Sox. Unfortunatly, San Diego wins the Series in typical Hollywood fashion, a walk off game 7 home run by one of the players that was Gary Coleman's pal, and who had been having a hard time or something. Bad movie, even worse ending....

YES! I've posted about that movie a few times. I remember it well. Robert
Guilliame was his father, Ed McMahon owned the Padres, and the White
Sox rallied from being down 3 games to 0 to force game 7. I'm happy to see
that someone on here besides me remembers it!

gosox41
02-03-2005, 09:46 AM

There's also that terrible Julia Roberts movie where she marries someone who's father is an owner of the team. The movie was bad enough for me to forget the name of it but I remember being at the ballpark on a Sunday afternoon when they were filming and waving at Julie. I think she likes me.

But at least we know who to blame for the Sox cheapness. It's Julia's fictional husband's parent's fault!!!!.

Bob

Clembasbal
02-03-2005, 10:28 AM
There's also that terrible Julia Roberts movie where she marries someone who's father is an owner of the team. The movie was bad enough for me to forget the name of it but I remember being at the ballpark on a Sunday afternoon when they were filming and waving at Julie. I think she likes me.

But at least we know who to blame for the Sox cheapness. It's Julia's fictional husband's parent's fault!!!!.

Bob

My Best Friends Wedding I believe.

Also, don't forget, "Bang the Drum Slowly" with Bobbie DeNiro, a great movie one of the best I have ever seen.

Malgar 12
02-03-2005, 10:42 AM

nope he's in old comiskey, not the cell.

Realist
02-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Plunk down a couple of bucks and watch the White Sox clinch the AL West in 1993.

Fireworks Over Comiskey! (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/baseballs_best/mlb_bb_gamepage.jsp?story_page=bb_93reg_092793_sea cha)
COMISKEY PARK, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS -- The memories of the game between the White Sox and the Seattle Mariners on Sept. 27, 1993 have lasted a lifetime for the 42,116 in attendance at Comiskey Park, as well as for the Sox faithful who were simply watching the game on television or listening to it on the radio. The 4-2 victory for the White Sox, who finished the season 94-68 , clinched their first American League West title in 10 years.
I think I'm gonna order it some time over the weekend. I'm tired of waiting for Spring Training already.

Tom~Attitude
02-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Another obscure movie from 1983, that I liked at the time,featured Sox legendary batting coach Charlie Lau (as his self)..."Max Dugan Returns"

A mysterious grandfather reenters his daughter and grandson's life to make things right for them...the big payoff was to hire Charlie to coach the loser grandson so he ends up winning the big game for his little league team.

Also Kiefer Sutherland's first movie...

DC Sox Fan
02-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Doesn't feature any "real" baseball footage but The Natural is my favorite movie of all time (sports or non-sports)

gosox41
02-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Another obscure movie from 1983, that I liked at the time,featured Sox legendary batting coach Charlie Lau (as his self)..."Max Dugan Returns"

A mysterious grandfather reenters his daughter and grandson's life to make things right for them...the big payoff was to hire Charlie to coach the loser grandson so he ends up winning the big game for his little league game.

Also Kiefer Sutherland's first movie...

I forgot abut that one. Good movie. Took place in Sarasota if I remember correctly.

Bob

ChiSoxRowand
02-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Interesting that Bernie Mac would say that...he said something completely different one time when he was signing the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley I believe.

Lip

Bernie Mac was on Dan Patrick's radio show a few months ago and said he used to be a Sox fan but not anymore. I'm not sure but I think he said he likes the Cubs. Also, in little big league they show a game at the cell and they show Raines getting a base hit against the Twins. I think Alex Fernandez was pitching that game. That movie is one of my favorite baseball movies. I like how it had a lot of real big leaguers in it (Griffey, Randy Johnson, Palmeiro, and Raines were some of them) even if it was only for a scene or two. I just watched it a couple months ago.

jackbrohamer
02-03-2005, 03:01 PM

Forgot about that one, it wasn't that long before Lau died and he was great in the movie. I don't know if he ad libbed the hitting tips he gave Matthew Broderick, but he sounded pretty realistic.

SOXintheBURGH
02-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Bernie Mac was on Dan Patrick's radio show a few months ago and said he used to be a Sox fan but not anymore. I'm not sure but I think he said he likes the Cubs. Also, in little big league they show a game at the cell and they show Raines getting a base hit against the Twins. I think Alex Fernandez was pitching that game. That movie is one of my favorite baseball movies. I like how it had a lot of real big leaguers in it (Griffey, Randy Johnson, Palmeiro, and Raines were some of them) even if it was only for a scene or two. I just watched it a couple months ago.

I saw that a little while ago too.. SOX were evil in that movie as its based on the Twinks. Seattle was the ending nemesis though, Randy Johnson with flowing mullet coming in to close.. Griffey, Jr. making leaping home run robbing catch... good movie if it wasn't for the Twins, but I guess thats better than Rookie of the Year (The Messiah Henry Rowengardener :?: )

soxwon
02-03-2005, 05:37 PM
It was a wonderful, solidly acted, intelligent movie that depicts Chicago as a city with White Sox fans. Even Jim Belushi is a White Sox fan.

did i read that right?
Belushi a sox fan, i dont think so!!!
on his show recently, he bad mouthed the sox.
as did on STILL STANDING, the son went to the sox-cubs game and rooted for the Sox.
the Parents couldnt stand it!!!

santo=dorf
02-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Sox fan my ass....

http://www.theheckler.com/public/spec/upload/belushi_brad.201.jpg

santo=dorf
02-03-2005, 06:14 PM
atleast its implied in major league II that the sox swept the indians in the post season, so its somethin

Also frank thomas is in Mr. Baseball, its something....lol

I think they also swept through the world series too. :gulp:

nccwsfan
02-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I mean seriously... at this point, I would almost settle for somebody who could send me a videotape of a couple of last year's games.

Major League one, despite the lack of parkman or any "Sox," was far superior to its sequel.

Go to MLB.com and click on the 'Subscriptions' link- I think you can buy a 1 month video subscription for $3.95. If you had the MLB.TV package last year you should still be able to access the games w/o making an extra payment. Once you do this you can watch any game from 2004.

That's the only way to check out Sox games between now and March.....ST get here now!

mjharrison72
02-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Go to MLB.com and click on the 'Subscriptions' link- I think you can buy a 1 month video subscription for $3.95. If you had the MLB.TV package last year you should still be able to access the games w/o making an extra payment. Once you do this you can watch any game from 2004.

That's the only way to check out Sox games between now and March.....ST get here now!
Oh...my...God... you are my new favorite WSI member, NCCWSfan!
I don't know why I didn't know that was available (I had MLB.TV last year), but I know what I'm going to do when I get home from the watering hole tonight (if I don't watch a game here at work)!
Thanks so much... this should tide me over until *gulp* April.
-M

mjharrison72
02-04-2005, 10:03 AM
And now that I have access to a coupla games from last year, any recommendations on which ones I should watch first? My memory is not so good, but my high point involved a Joe Crede game-winning HR off Urbina to put the Sox in first place (for the last time?), but I can't remember when that was... sometime in July?

TDog
02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
did i read that right?
Belushi a sox fan, i dont think so!!!
on his show recently, he bad mouthed the sox.
as did on STILL STANDING, the son went to the sox-cubs game and rooted for the Sox.
the Parents couldnt stand it!!!

In this movie, he plays a Sox fan. It's called acting, I guess.

JKryl
02-04-2005, 02:14 PM

Can't you sign up at MLB.com and watch historic games via the internet? You should be able to get a link through the Sox web site.

Soxaholic
02-04-2005, 02:21 PM
I know its not DVD, but I have a VHS "The Chicago White Sox: A Visual History." Its the best White Sox documentary I've seen. It only goes up to 1987 and its an hour long. I also saw it in the time capsule they have at the Cell in the Hall of Fame store. If you still could stand VHS, I'd highly recommend picking it up.

JKryl
02-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Can't you sign up at MLB.com and watch historic games via the internet? You should be able to get a link through the Sox web site.

In fact, you can get classic games here: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/dds_sell.jsp?cat=classics&partnerId=178x60_classicDDS1004 Good luck.

nccwsfan
02-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Oh...my...God... you are my new favorite WSI member, NCCWSfan!
I don't know why I didn't know that was available (I had MLB.TV last year), but I know what I'm going to do when I get home from the watering hole tonight (if I don't watch a game here at work)!
Thanks so much... this should tide me over until *gulp* April.
-M

Ha! Glad to help- I'm doing the same thing this offseason(watching old games/listening to old games)....BTW the subscription is a must for any Sox fan not living in the Chicagoland area.

Spring Training is only 2 weeks away- then it's Ozzieball time!!
:bandance:

nccwsfan
02-04-2005, 04:23 PM
And now that I have access to a coupla games from last year, any recommendations on which ones I should watch first? My memory is not so good, but my high point involved a Joe Crede game-winning HR off Urbina to put the Sox in first place (for the last time?), but I can't remember when that was... sometime in July?

July 24th- the last game that was worth a hoot in 2004...:(:

Hope springs eternal!

SOXSINCE'70
02-05-2005, 09:31 AM
My Best Friends Wedding I believe.

Also, don't forget, "Bang the Drum Slowly" with Bobbie DeNiro, a great movie one of the best I have ever seen.

It is "My Best Friend's Wedding".Both are excellent picks.
I believe "Bang The Drum Slowly" is now on DVD.

FedEx227
02-05-2005, 04:37 PM
know its not DVD, but I have a VHS "The Chicago White Sox: A Visual History." Its the best White Sox documentary I've seen. It only goes up to 1987 and its an hour long. I also saw it in the time capsule they have at the Cell in the Hall of Fame store. If you still could stand VHS, I'd highly recommend picking it up.

Yeah thats a very solid movie about the entire history of the White Sox...worth a look no doubt.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2005, 08:30 PM
"Eight Men Out" is superb.