PDA

View Full Version : Sox announcer leaving

Lip Man 1
02-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Gang:

Well it's a done deal. I heard from an extremely good source today that one of the individuals involved in Sox broadcasts (from an 'on-air' capacity) has been offered and has accepted the radio play by play position for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

I'd imagine you'll be reading 'officially' about this in the future.

Lip

MonkeySpankingJungleJim
02-02-2005, 12:55 PM
So long Hawk. Time for Rooney to get his shot on the air. He's earned it.

DaveIsHere
Gang:

Well it's a done deal. I heard from an extremely good source today that one of the individuals involved in Sox broadcasts (from an 'on-air' capacity) has been offered and has accepted the radio play by play position for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Lip

We best not be talking about Dave Wills, damn it!!!!:angry:

Well whoever it is, Good Luck!!!!!

What the hell are they thinking, the D-rays...ha

Rocky Soprano

And why do you say its Hawk?

pudge
02-02-2005, 12:57 PM
And why do you say its Hawk?

Because there have been rumors about it before.

Oh man, this would suck so royally.

Brian26
02-02-2005, 12:58 PM

Why the hell would Hawk move from Sox tv to Tampa Bay radio? LOL.

Good luck, Willsy.

Rocky Soprano
02-02-2005, 12:58 PM

Theres rumors about tons of stuff. From what people posted here, and people in the know of things, its not Hawk.

Brian26
02-02-2005, 12:59 PM
has been offered and has accepted the radio play by play position for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Lip spilled the beans about this weeks ago...it's Willsy.

pudge
02-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Theres rumors about tons of stuff. From what people posted here, and people in the know of things, its not Hawk.

Alright, that's good to know. I'll come back off the ledge.

tlebar318
02-02-2005, 01:01 PM

I wish it was DJ instead....IMO---BORING!

mweflen
02-02-2005, 01:03 PM
I hope Hawk stays until he retires or kicks the bucket. I'm not his number one fan (despite my sig), but he's the longest tenured guy in Chi-town now, and like it or lump it, the voice of the Sox (All respect to Rooney and Farmer, who are good as well).

nccwsfan
02-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Good luck Willsy. Keep those drillrods in line and always remember your fans in Chicago...:cool:

tacosalbarojas
02-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Lip spilled the beans about this weeks ago...it's Willsy. Bye, Dave. Enjoy indoor baseball. Who replaces him as pre and post host? Please let it be Carmen DeFalco. Classy guy who knows his stuff.

Palehose13
02-02-2005, 01:07 PM

Good luck, Willsy.

Ditto. Willsy, you will be missed.

Iwritecode
02-02-2005, 01:12 PM
I emailed Brooks to see if he knows if it really Wills or not and how he feels about it. I'll post his response when I get it.

:wink: :tongue:

Flight #24
02-02-2005, 01:14 PM
If it WERE Hawk, I wouldn't be that upset...but only because I think in that case it'd be highly likely that Stoney'd repalce him given his relationship with JR, his familiarity with the city, and how it'd stick it to the Chubs.

That said - apparently it's Wills, Willsy - you'll be missed but good luck!

SoxFan78
02-02-2005, 01:17 PM
If it is Wills, im gonna miss him. He would be at his best when he would rip on the Cubs. The best was one time when a caller called the post game show and asked why they werent talking about the cub game, Dave went off.

I can't see the person the sox bring in with as much passion as Willsey

JKryl
02-02-2005, 01:18 PM

Crap, I like him. He's one of the few who'll join us at Jimbo's after a game.

Tekijawa
02-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I can't see the person the sox bring in with as much passion as Willsey

I can see Hangar rushing to get a few references to add to his resume as we speak!

tlebar318
02-02-2005, 01:23 PM
He will be un upgrade for Tampa...I live in Florida now and go over there to the games when the Sox come to town and their "famous" announcer at this point is Dewayne Staats (spelling?)--

gosox41
02-02-2005, 01:35 PM

Too bad. With Stone signing up for a part time gig on the Score, it would have been nice to get him in the booth.

Bob

Rocklive99
02-02-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm gonna miss "NEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" :(

CWSGuy406
02-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Maybe I'm reaching a bit, but could Stoney be a possibility as far as Wills' replacement?

NSSoxFan
02-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Maybe I'm reaching a bit, but could Stoney be a possibility as far as Wills' replacement?

No, because Stone just signed a contract with the Score. ESPN does Sox games, at least for one more year.

CWSGuy406
02-02-2005, 02:05 PM
No, because Stone just signed a contract with the Score. ESPN does Sox games, at least for one more year.

In what capacity does the contract entail -- if you know? Is he gonna be a host or a Cubs/Sox analyst, sort of like Laurence Holmes does with the Bears, but without the whole show...?

chaz171
02-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Do we have anything in print to verify these claims or is this Just rumour mill

#372-8472-c?
http://members.aol.com/ReelBgBish/wind.gif

The Wino that polishes my boots once a week has a lot of stories from the voices in his head, But I can't back them up either........

The Big Squirt
02-02-2005, 02:09 PM

The way I understand it, there ain't ink on that contract yet.

fledgedrallycap
02-02-2005, 02:48 PM
The way I understand it, there ain't ink on that contract yet.

Not to mention that contract will be full of out clauses for bigger and better oppurtunities.

MUsoxfan
02-02-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm gonna miss "NEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" :(

I second that. I enjoyed the pre/post shows but nothing can compare to that neeeeeeexxxxxttttttttttttt

NSSoxFan
02-02-2005, 02:58 PM
NEEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTTTTTTTTTT!

Had to do it one last time.

starboy0
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Listening to Wills after a tough loss was always a comfort.

TornLabrum
02-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I'll miss Dave, too. He's been terrific on his shows at promoting WCSF events. He's emceed our luncheons for us almost from the start, and he's proved himself to be a terrific interviewer there. In addition, he's always had a kind word for WSI in general and my column in particular.

My biggest hope is that when a job opens up in the White Sox booth for play-by-play, Dave is the only person interviewed.

Dave, when you make the announcement, I'll be raising a cold Miller Lite in your honor.

OEO Magglio
02-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Man, I'm going to miss Willsy, I wish him the best of luck with his new job.

chaz171
02-02-2005, 03:23 PM
has anyone been able to comfirm any of this?

this claim still belongs in the:

NSSoxFan
02-02-2005, 03:24 PM
has anyone been able to comfirm any of this?

this claim still belongs in the:

Not really. Lip is connected.:D:

JUribe1989
02-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Willsy deserves this, he will be a great announcer. Here's the pitch to Danny Bautista, he hit it high! He hit it deep! Danny Bautista has hit his first homer to tie the game at 3!

Over By There
02-02-2005, 03:25 PM
I'd almost rather lose Hawk or DJ than Willsy. He just feels like one of us - he lives and dies with every Sox win or loss. I like Carmen DeFalco, and he does a serviceable job on the Bulls pre/post, but there's no replacement for Dave. :(:

If it is Willsy, though, I wish him the best of luck.

NSSoxFan
02-02-2005, 03:29 PM
I'd almost rather lose Hawk or DJ than Willsy. He just feels like one of us - he lives and dies with every Sox win or loss. I like Carmen DeFalco, and he does a serviceable job on the Bulls pre/post, but there's no replacement for Dave. :(:

Hawk feels like one of us also.

AZChiSoxFan
02-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Gang:

Lip

Did you get this from ChiSoxTony, or did you overhear a cellphone conversation at the airport?

chaz171
02-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Not really. Lip is connected.:D:

Lip makes no assumptions as to who is going... he just says some one is going.....

I have seen people saying so long to Wills and Hawk on this thread....

The point I guess I'm trying to make is no one is confirmed, nothing proven, no facts, therefore a Rumor!

I will stand by my newfound graphic.(well heck, I'm just looking for another reason to print it.......)

mdep524
02-02-2005, 03:40 PM
I am going to miss Willsy. He did a great job on the pre and postgame shows, identified with Sox fans, and became a part of our Sox culture with his "Neeeexxxxxxxt" introduction.

Good luck in Tampa, Willsy- we'll miss you.

Over By There
02-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Hawk feels like one of us also.

Hawk openly roots for the Sox on the broadcasts.

Willsy hangs out with the fans and drinks a couple Miller Lites after the games. He also echos our feelings on tons of things, from the performance of the team to our feelings about the other club in town. IMHO, he feels like one of us.

IMHO, Hawk is a just homer announcer. Not that I don't appreciate him, and I don't mean to demean Hawk, but I have a totally different vibe about Willsy.

hose
02-02-2005, 03:46 PM
:wills:

" I'll be farther away from Drillrod cub fans":bandance:

Jjav829
02-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I hear Willsy's plan is to go to Tampa, spend a few years there talking about how great the White Sox, Chicago, and the Cell are to the likes of Aubrey Huff and Carl Crawford so that they'll sign with the Sox when they hit free agency. Then in a few years when Hawk steps aside, Willsy will come back to Chicago to replace Hawk and with his newfound friends wearing Sox uniforms.

In all seriousness, it's a shame to see him go. I never really listened to White Sox pre-game or post-game shows until the past season or two when I got hooked listening to Wills. He did a great job and will definitely be missed. I do hope that when a Sox play-by-play job opens up - either through Hawk leaving or Rooney moving on to a network job - that Wills is given serious consideration.

I'll have to listen to a few Tampa Bay games on the radio now, particularly when the Sox play the Devil Rays.

Good luck, Willsy! :gulp:

Fenway
02-02-2005, 03:53 PM

Good luck, Willsy.

Hawk lives in Orlando?

Sean McDonough still hasn't landed yet, and neither has Gary Thorn

Irishsox1
02-02-2005, 03:54 PM
When John Rooney couldn't call the opener a few years ago (because of the NCAA tourny) and Wills filled in, I thought he did a great job. I assume his goal is to be an announcer and this would be a huge step for him. The way I see it, is that he puts his time in down in Tampa Bay and when Hawk retires, he would be a great replacement. Smart move by Wills...if its true.

OH!foracold1
02-02-2005, 04:05 PM
:gulp: Here's to you Willsy..a nice ice cold Miller Lite! Wish you best of luck and great success. I loved his pre and post game shows. All the late nights staying up listening to him...... MAN! I'm going to miss that guy! :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Anyone a clip of NEEEEEEXXXXXXXT they can upload.

Rays End Days Of Olden, Slowes Radio Team
http://rays.tbo.com/rays/MGBPNHTR74E.html (http://rays.tbo.com/rays/MGBPNHTR74E.html)

http://media.tbo.com/tbo/images/spacer.gif

petekat
02-02-2005, 04:26 PM
hope it's farmer. he sux dux.

I hope Hawk stays until he retires or kicks the bucket. I'm not his number one fan (despite my sig), but he's the longest tenured guy in Chi-town now, and like it or lump it, the voice of the Sox (All respect to Rooney and Farmer, who are good as well).

BRDSR
02-02-2005, 04:52 PM

I get the same feeling about DeFalco though. I like him a lot, maybe because he's young and I actually know most of the references he makes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he grow up in the Chicagoland area and was a big fan of the Bulls and White Sox? No disrespect to Wills, he did a more than serviceable job. Loved listening to him, but I would also love listening to Carmen. I'll head the lobbyists for DeFalco.

Tragg
02-02-2005, 04:53 PM
The only real professional broadcaster that we have is John Rooney. I hope it's not him.
I like Hawk a lot, however, so I hope it's not him either.

If it is, bring in Stone and let him do PBP.

Farmer is terrible, although I still love that fight with Al Cowens.

OT, did the Cubs ever select a replacement for chimp?

Wills was good because he was flagrantly anti-Cubs. I get the feeling it's politically incorrect bo be anti-cub in chicago. It's like down here: you can be anti-Tulane all you want, but ant-LSU? Oh heavens. Ryan Perriloux's new cadillac might have to be repossessed.

Hangar18
02-02-2005, 04:57 PM

Its Dave Wills. Im really going to miss him .........

34 Inch Stick
02-02-2005, 04:58 PM
If it's Dave Wills he better come on here and finally reveal his posting name...and it better not be Hangar.

chisox2005
02-02-2005, 05:00 PM
hope it's farmer. he sux dux.

Farmer is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Met him out at Cog Hill and he gave me free tiks for a few home games and upgraded seats that I had bought for a cards/sox interleague game. I don't think he's the greatest color guy in the world but beats the hell out of Darrin. I would take Rooney and Farmer in a heartbeat over Hawk and DJ. I like Hawks famous calls but there are periods in the game where him and darrin will sit in silence for about 30 seconds. :?:

steff
02-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Gang:

Lip

You are pretty damn ignorant if I must say so. Who the hell are you to post **** that could potentially alter someone's personal/professional life..? I don't give a **** who your source is.. you think you would have some damn respect for others lives before you go off shooting your mouth. Silly me.. you and respect.. what the hell was I thinking.

Hangar18
02-02-2005, 05:08 PM
If it's Dave Wills he better come on here and finally reveal his posting name...and it better not be Hangar.

Ok guys, Im coming clean ....Im really Dave Wills.

Just Kidding. I talked to Dave a few weeks ago and he mentioned he was flying to Tampa to be interviewed, and its his dream to to PlaybyPlay.
Out of respect for him, I didnt say anything about it til now. He said
his HEART is with the White Sox, and that he would always be checking
the boxscores. I told him I hoped he DIDNT get the job, but Good Luck.

YES, Dave Wills personifies what the Typical South Side White Sox fan is like. Hes a big guy, drinks beer, and never shys from talking to everyone
about the game, everyone knows him, and he knows everyone.
He stops you to say hello, or pats you on the back as you
walk by. Hes Every Sox Fan. Definitely will miss talking to him
after a loss. People are right, hes just like us.

steff
02-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Ok guys, Im coming clean ....Im really Dave Wills.

Just Kidding. I talked to Dave a few weeks ago and he mentioned he was flying to Tampa to be interviewed, and its his dream to to PlaybyPlay.
Out of respect for him, I didnt say anything about it til now.

*snip*

Out of respect, your mouth should still be shut. JMO.

Hangar18
02-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Out of respect, your mouth should still be shut. JMO.

well, I do hope were not overstepping here....... maybe this thread
should be shut down till tomorrow or so?

steff
02-02-2005, 05:18 PM
well, I do hope were not overstepping here....... maybe this thread
should be shut down till tomorrow or so?

This thread should never have been started. Outing someone's job change...

Sad.. but typical of the "source".

Hangar18
02-02-2005, 05:22 PM
This thread should never have been started. Outing someone's job change...

Sad.. but typical of the "source".

I think that other team has to ask the SOX for permission first .......

Over By There
02-02-2005, 05:24 PM
steff - all due respect, maybe PM is a better way to deal with this. You're kind of lending credence to something that's been posted a million times before as pure conjecture. JMHO.

Hangar18
02-02-2005, 05:35 PM
steff - all due respect, maybe PM is a better way to deal with this. You're kind of lending credence to something that's been posted a million times before as pure conjecture. JMHO.

I think someone in the SOX organization already let on that this Might happen
(which started the erroneous threads about HAWK leaving) Im know
Steff was one of the first to know what really was going on, but we just didnt say anything til the SOX front office knew (hence the source). I think everyone that needs to know already knows what is happening. I see
where Steff is coming from though .....

dickallen15
02-02-2005, 05:37 PM
I'd be willing to bet Dave Wills' current employers are well aware of his desire for this new job, and I'm sure if Dave has been offered and has accepted this new position, they aren't finding out from this message board. The White Sox don't employ Wills do they? I thought he was an ESPN radio employee. Good luck to Dave, and I'm sure we will see him in the White Sox broadcast booth someday.

Chisox003
02-02-2005, 05:45 PM
I definitely hope Willsy will come back someday...Soon....
2005 won't be the same without hearing "NEXXXXXXXXT!"....Good Luck

Totally off subject, does anybody know where I can get a list of ALL this offseason's transactions...Signings, trades etc...Thanks

BRDSR
02-02-2005, 06:07 PM
I definitely hope Willsy will come back someday...Soon....
2005 won't be the same without hearing "NEXXXXXXXXT!"....Good Luck

Totally off subject, does anybody know where I can get a list of ALL this offseason's transactions...Signings, trades etc...Thanks

Speaking of the NEEEEEXT, when did he start doing that? I don't think I recall him doing it earlier than about two seasons ago, but I don't think I listened to the radio broadcasts much before then either. Then I believe they just started playing it at the ballpark before each game last year. Also, how long has Wills been doing pre/post games for the Sox?

Chisox003
02-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Speaking of the NEEEEEXT, when did he start doing that? I don't think I recall him doing it earlier than about two seasons ago, but I don't think I listened to the radio broadcasts much before then either. Then I believe they just started playing it at the ballpark before each game last year. Also, how long has Wills been doing pre/post games for the Sox?

I started hearing Willsy and "Nexxxxxxt" in 2003, but Im not sure before that....

Last year was the first year they did it before games, which I thought was great....It lead right into "Thunderstruck" and the fireworks...Awesome opening

winning ugly 72
02-02-2005, 07:04 PM
if wills is leaving i wish him the best i always enjoyed the pre and post game shows and how he tried to keep us sox fans calm when things are going good

Bucktown
02-02-2005, 08:53 PM
I hope Dave has a post-game show in Tampa. I am going to call in and pretend to be one of those obnoxious Cubs fans.

Andy T Clown
02-02-2005, 09:23 PM
If it is Dave, I wish him the best of luck. We will miss you on the Radio, at TR's and all those Dancing Noodle gigs.

Hurry Back!

tsamdog
02-02-2005, 09:32 PM
What a great opportunity for Willsy. I know that he will bring the same intensity to TB that he had with the Sox. IMHO, that's Willsy's greatest attribute : passion for the game.

Brian26
02-02-2005, 09:40 PM

Actually, nobody knew about it before Lip opened his mouth a couple of weeks ago by revealing that this "sox broadcaster's dream was to land with a major league team." Gosh, who could that be?

Brian26
02-02-2005, 09:44 PM
You are pretty damn ignorant if I must say so. Who the hell are you to post **** that could potentially alter someone's personal/professional life..? I don't give a **** who your source is.. you think you would have some damn respect for others lives before you go off shooting your mouth. Silly me.. you and respect.. what the hell was I thinking.

Interesting. You must have missed the thread from a couple of weeks ago. I think it got moved to "What's the Score." Lip practically tripped all over himself to give away this news. I don't get it.

Clement's beard
02-02-2005, 09:45 PM
I asked this in the other thread started a few weeks ago and I'll ask it again. Who will Dave root for when the Rays and Sox play? :?:

Brian26
02-02-2005, 09:46 PM
I asked this in the other thread started a few weeks ago and I'll ask it again. Who will Dave root for when the Rays and Sox play? :?:

Since Dave is a class act and a smart businessman, he'll root for the Rays on the air.

That should answer your question. :D:

slavko
02-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Gonna miss "Cubs lose, Cubs lose" on the post-game shows.

Clement's beard
02-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Since Dave is a class act and a smart businessman, he'll root for the Rays on the air.

That should answer your question. :D:

See, I could never take a job where I was asked to root against my team. You live and die with a team your whole life and then are asked to stop?

voodoochile
02-02-2005, 09:51 PM
See, I could never take a job where I was asked to root against my team. You live and die with a team your whole life and then are asked to stop?

You don't HAVE to be a complete homer to do a good job announcing. Also, it does depend on what your priorities are. If you always had a dream to do PBP, you have to take the opportunity when it presents itself. Hawk won't be around forever. Maybe Wills gets a chance when Hawk retires. Until then he can hone his craft.

Clement's beard
02-02-2005, 09:55 PM
You don't HAVE to be a complete homer to do a good job announcing. Also, it does depend on what your priorities are. If you always had a dream to do PBP, you have to take the opportunity when it presents itself. Hawk won't be around forever. Maybe Wills gets a chance when Hawk retires. Until then he can hone his craft.

Voodoo,

Would you do it? Would you root against the Sox to become an announcer for another team? Think of all the emotional investment you have given to them over the years.

Brian26
02-02-2005, 09:58 PM

Stop for what? 6 games? How many times do the Rays play the Sox?

Let's put things in perspective: I'm as big of a Sox fan as anyone, but to be honest with you, if the Rays knocked on my door tomorrow and asked me to do their radio broadcasts in exchange for a lot of money, I'd become a Tampa Bay fan pretty quickly. They're going to put food on the table and fulfill a dream? That's not a bad gig at all. MLB is MLB. Willsy's going to get to travel around the entire league...broadcast games from all the great stadiums....what a great job.

Bump34
Let it be known that this is the first time that I have posted anything after years of lurking on this site and using it as an aid to my pregame and postgame shows...

Thanks for being a fan of the Chicago White Sox!!! And also thanks to those of you who have been listeners of White Sox baseball on ESPN 1000... I know that many of you have not always agreed with what I may have said... but I think all you know that I have always been there for you... and for those of you who think I was unprofessional when it comes to my comments about the other team... the bottom line has always been... if they didn't bother me I wouldn't bother them... never understood why their fans were so consumed with what my thoughts were about them... and I am looking forward to being a 1,000+ miles away from some of those drillrods!!!

This opportunity to play by play for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays was something that just developed over the past couple of months... Doing major league baseball play by play has always been a dream of mine... and when you are stuck behind a couple of all-stars on your team... you have to look elsewhere and the Devil Rays are giving me a chance... and I thank them for that...

I will continue to lurk this site to see what's up with the Southsiders... and believe this could be a great season for them...

See you all in July!!! And thanks for everything!!!

Dave

Have a couple of Miller Lites for me!!! :gulp:

MUsoxfan
Voodoo,

Would you do it? Would you root against the Sox to become an announcer for another team? Think of all the emotional investment you have given to them over the years.

I don't know about Voodoo, but I can answer for me. If I was in that line of work the only team I could NEVER work for is the Cubs. Otherwise, I could take another job as a professional and do my job that would advance my career and hopefully land my dream gig with the White Sox.

Brian26
02-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Voodoo,

Voodoo would do it in a second, as would anyone else who loves baseball.

Clement's beard
02-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Stop for what? 6 games? How many times do the Rays play the Sox?

Let's put things in perspective: I'm as big of a Sox fan as anyone, but to be honest with you, if the Rays knocked on my door tomorrow and asked me to do their radio broadcasts in exchange for a lot of money, I'd become a Tampa Bay fan pretty quickly.

I'll put that to the test and this goes for all of you. Say the cubs knocked on your door and gave you a lot of money, would you become a cubs fan pretty quickly?:?: Man, this is good:cool:

Brian26
02-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Let it be known that this is the first time that I have posted anything after years of lurking on this site and using it as an aid to my pregame and postgame shows...

Willsy....been a fan of yours since the days of you and Kris Cross doing the post-game shows in the Bullpen Bar. Thanks for all of the entertainment through the years. The games won't be the same without you.

Good luck!

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:03 PM
I'll put that to the test and this goes for all of you. Say the cubs knocked on your door and gave you a lot of money, would you become a cubs fan pretty quickly?:?: Man, this is good:cool:

Still not sure how this works... but I could NEVER see me on the North Side...

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Willsy....been a fan of yours since the days of you and Kris Cross doing the post-game shows in the Bullpen Bar. Thanks for all of the entertainment through the years. The games won't be the same without you.

Good luck!

Thanks!!!

tebman
02-02-2005, 10:04 PM

Thanks for being a fan of the Chicago White Sox!!! And also thanks to those of you who have been listeners of White Sox baseball on ESPN 1000... I know that many of you have not always agreed with what I may have said... but I think all you know that I have always been there for you... and for those of you who think I was unprofessional when it comes to my comments about the other team... the bottom line has always been... if they didn't bother me I wouldn't bother them... never understood why their fans were so consumed with what my thoughts were about them... and I am looking forward to being a 1,000+ miles away from some of those drillrods!!!

This opportunity to play by play for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays was something that just developed over the past couple of months... Doing major league baseball play by play has always been a dream of mine... and when you are stuck behind a couple of all-stars on your team... you have to look elsewhere and the Devil Rays are giving me a chance... and I thank them for that...

I will continue to lurk this site to see what's up with the Southsiders... and believe this could be a great season for them...

Dave

Dave,

Good luck to you, my friend. As a Sox fan who always enjoyed your work, I'm sorry to see you go, but wish you nothing but success in your career.

May the wind be at your back and may your voice always be strong!

Be well.

- tebman

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Dave,

Good luck to you, my friend. As a Sox fan who always enjoyed your work, I'm sorry to see you go, but wish you nothing but success in your career.

May the wind be at your back and may your voice always be strong!

Be well.

- tebman

Thanks... I should have done this more often... could have avoided a few phone calls...

Brian26
02-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks... I should have done this more often... could have avoided a few phone calls...

I'm going to miss the shout-outs to Pete and Rosemary and our friends at Jared the Galleria of Jewelry :D:

TornLabrum
02-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Dave, I emailed you some of my thoughts. Let me just add that the Windy City Sox Fans couldn't have had a better friend than you over the past decade. You're truly a class act, and I wish you the best.

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm going to miss the shout-outs to Pete and Rosemary and our friends at Jared the Galleria of Jewelry :D:

I think they are going to miss it too!!!

whitesoxwilkes
02-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Dave, thanks for all the insight, laughs and memories. Best of luck in Tampa Bay...we'll be down there for spring training and will pop in and say hello for sure!

Mike Wilkins

Clement's beard
02-02-2005, 10:10 PM
I think they are going to miss it too!!!

Dave, is this really you?:o: Are you shedding a tear with Sosa being gone?:cool:

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Let it be known that this is the first time that I have posted anything after years of lurking on this site and using it as an aid to my pregame and postgame shows...Maybe it's just my naturally skeptical nature, but I give it 50/50 that this is somebody yanking our chain.

So if it is you, Willsy, good luck and I hope to hear you back in a booth in Chicago again soon (with a better gig, of course).

If it's somebody else...:booty:

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Dave, I emailed you some of my thoughts. Let me just add that the Windy City Sox Fans couldn't have had a better friend than you over the past decade. You're truly a class act, and I wish you the best.

It will always be one of my favorite memories of my time with the White Sox... my daughter Michelle was asking if we will be able to come to the holiday gathering at Senese's next December... thanks for everything... and I will check my email...

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Dave, thanks for all the insight, laughs and memories. Best of luck in Tampa Bay...we'll be down there for spring training and will pop in and say hello for sure!

Mike Wilkins

Look forward to seeing you!!!

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Dave, is this really you?:o: Are you shedding a tear with Sosa being gone?:cool:

It's me... and no tears... but my wife did ask me what I would have done if Sammy ended up with the Rays...

TornLabrum
02-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Maybe it's just my naturally skeptical nature, but I give it 50/50 that this is somebody yanking our chain.

So if it is you, Willsy, good luck and I hope to hear you back in a booth in Chicago again soon (with a better gig, of course).

If it's somebody else...:booty:

The reference to the holiday party at Senese's tells me who it is. Dave was a pitcher in college ball. I'm willing to bet his uniform number was 34. Either that or he's lying about his age! :D:

Brian26
02-02-2005, 10:14 PM
The reference to the holiday party at Senese's tells me who it is. Dave was a pitcher in college ball. I'm willing to bet his uniform number was 34. Either that or he's lying about his age! :D:

It's Dave. Check his profile. He's got the birthday and everything.

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:15 PM

uniform number... after the great Walter Payton... even though I didn't play football...

Clement's beard
02-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Dave, I'm putting you on the spot. Who are you rooting for when the Sox and Rays hook up?

Brian26
02-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Dave- was your first year with the Sox in '95 or '96? I'm trying to remember. I know for sure you were doing the postgames in the Bullpen Bar right after it opened in '96.

Daver
I would also like to take a moment to say I'll miss your perspective on the Sox Dave, your post game shows at times had me laughing to the point of tears when you would start ripping on the fans of the team 8 miles north.

I would also like to offer a thank you for the support you have given us on air for many years, I can't put a value on what you have done for this site, but it is large.

Good luck in Tampa, and remember you have freinds here.

MUsoxfan
We need to cheer up a little. It almost feels like someone died and we're talking to the corpse. Dave will do a fantastic job in TB and I'm sure he'll be on the Southside again in the future

SOX ADDICT '73
Dave,

Please give the Sox permission to keep playing the tape of your "NNNEEEEEEXXXXXTTTTT" before the player intros! It always gave me goosebumps. Good luck in Tampa - those fans have no idea the quality of broadcaster they're getting, but they'll find out soon enough.

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Dave, I'm putting you on the spot. Who are you rooting for when the Sox and Rays hook up?

It will be the Devil Rays...I just hope that the games we beat them don't come back to haunt them later in the Central division race...

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Willsy- was your first year with the Sox in '95 or '96? I'm trying to remember. I know for sure you were doing the postgames in the Bullpen Bar right after it opened in '96.

I actually started doing weekend pre and post in 94... on WMAQ while still doing pbp for the Cougars during the week... my first full time gig started in 1996...

NSSoxFan
02-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Dave,

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the Devil Rays. No one on radio personified the kind of passion that White Sox fans bring to every game. In the great words of Scammin Sammy, "Tampa is your house".

Good luck again man.

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:22 PM
I would also like to take a moment to say I'll miss your perspective on the Sox Dave, your post game shows at times had me laughing to the point of tears when you would start ripping on the fans of the team 8 miles north.

I would also like to offer a thank you for the support you have given us on air for many years, I can't put a value on what you have done for this site, but it is large.

Good luck in Tampa, and remember you have freinds here.

I have always appreciated your comments as well... this is a great site!!!

CWSGuy406
02-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Dave --

Best of luck in Tampa Bay. They definitely have some real good prospects coming through the system, it should be a joy for you to be able to watch guys like Kazmir and Upton develop, along with speedsters Baldelli and Crawford.

You were a joy to listen to before and after Sox games, and I'll definitely miss hearing you heading home from a game.

Best of luck, Dave! :smile:

TornLabrum
02-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Dave, I IMed Jeff that you'd taken the job and he sends his best. I remember the first time we both met you at Marinelli Field in Rockford in 1991. Jeff was 12, and you took time out to talk to him. We've both been huge fans ever since.

FarWestChicago
02-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks for everything, Dave. I wish you the best of luck, not that you'll need it. And you'll always have a lot of fans and friends here. :thumbsup:

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:28 PM
I thank you all for the kind words... its been a very emotional couple of days since they offered me the job... I've got White Sox in my blood... Thanks...

beckett21
02-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Mr. Wills,

Best wishes. You will be missed by your fans here, but we will take solace in knowing you are fulfilling a lifelong dream.

Enjoy the opportunity...you deserve it.

:cheers:

CubsfansareDRUNK
02-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Bye dave! We'll miss you man!! Good luck in tampa!!!!:yoohoo:

Jerko
02-02-2005, 10:31 PM
I hope no Marlin fans get on his nerves............. The Florida Marlins, Wills' new "that other team".

Lip Man 1
02-02-2005, 10:31 PM
I get the major league baseball radio pass and very often it wouldn't cut out until after Dave's show started. Usually I'd get a few minutes of his broadcast.

A few things that I immediately noticed was how prepared Dave always was... not only did he know what was going on during the game but why it happened. Perhaps that was because he played the sport and had an understanding of it's rhythms.

The other thing was that Dave was a Sox fan. Like in some regards with Hawk you could tell in the vocal tone of his voice what had happened. If you didn't listen to the game but just got the post game very often you could tell if the Sox won or lost. Personally I found that refreshing. He actually cared. It was more then just a paycheck to him. Much like Harry Caray was a Sox fan but could still objectively look at the problems, Dave had the same capacity.

I didn't personally know Dave for a long period of time certainly not as long as Hal, but he was always friendly and courteous with me regardless of if it was over the phone or via e-mail.

I certainly appreciated his taking the time for his WSI Interview. Also if I remember Dave was also one of the web site's first interviews (with PHG?)

Like I told him earlier in the day I wish him nothing but the best as he heads Southeast.

I hope he'll continue to post here where and when he can. He'd be a great voice to have objectively look at the Sox as the season progresses.

Lip

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:32 PM
I get the major league baseball radio pass and very often it wouldn't cut out until after Dave's show started. Usually I'd get a few minutes of his broadcast.

A few things that I immediately noticed was how prepared Dave always was... not only did he know what was going on during the game but why it happened. Perhaps that was because he played the sport and had an understanding of it's rhythms.

The other thing was that Dave was a Sox fan. Like in some regards with Hawk you could tell in the vocal tone of his voice what had happened. If you didn't listen to the game but just got the post game very often you could tell if the Sox won or lost. Personally I found that refreshing. He actually cared. It was more then just a paycheck to him. Much like Harry Caray was a Sox fan but could still objectively look at the problems, Dave had the same capacity.

I didn't personally know Dave for a long period of time certainly not as long as Hal, but he was always friendly and courteous with me regardless of if it was over the phone or via e-mail.

I certainly appreciated his taking the time for his WSI Interview. Also if I remember Dave was also one of the web site's first interviews (with PHG?)

Like I told him earlier in the day I wish him nothing but the best as he heads Southeast.

I hope he'll continue to post here where and when he can. He'd be a great voice to have objectively look at the Sox as the season progresses.

Lip

Thanks!!!

HITMEN OF 77
02-02-2005, 10:33 PM

Lip

Lip

I think you pretty much sumed up all my feelings. Thanks Dave, you WILL BE MISSED!!

Jjav829
02-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Dave,

Good luck with everything. It was a pleasure listening to you, particularly after those tough Sox losses. You always did a good job of putting the Sox games in perspective and it was always appreciated. The pre and post game shows - and the great rain delay theater shows :smile: - won't be the same without you. It's a shame you're leaving, but an opportunity to announce for a Major League Baseball team is just an amazing opportunity. Don't forget about us when a Sox play-by-play job becomes available down the line. Hawk and Rooney will only be around for so long before they decide they need to do something else. When one of them does leave, I think a lot of Sox fans would gladly welcome you back as a replacement.

Again, good luck and thanks for all the kind words you've given the site. Go D-Rays! :wink:

Kogs35
02-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Dave thanks alot for the great memories. Enjoy Tampa, you've earned it!! Rain Delay Theater won't be the same

Bump34
02-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Rain Delays... should not have many of those in Tampa...:D:

mcfish
02-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Congradulations Dave, have a great time. You will be missed. Come back and post throughout the season, we'd all love to at least keep reading your comments.

WinningUgly!
02-02-2005, 10:58 PM
What can I say that hasn't already been said, in this thread? :D:

Congratulationshttp://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/willsy.JPGDave!!!!!!!!!!

DrCrawdad
02-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Dave,

Thanks for bringing passion & emotion to the pre & post-game. For too long I was an inactive Sox fan. Listening to you helped to rekindle my love for the Sox.

I love you man!

- DrCrawdad

PS Now tell me, what do you really feel about BRUCE! LeVineLine?

:gulp:

Parrothead
02-02-2005, 11:23 PM
It will be the Devil Rays...I just hope that the games we beat them don't come back to haunt them later in the Central division race...

Hey Willsy,

When TB comes into town come out to right field and the boys out there will buy you a beverage. Either that or see at Jimbo's. Good luck and I know you will do great out there. As everyone said we will miss ya.

Tragg
02-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Good luck Dave.

I only heard you since I got the broadcasts hoooked up over the internet the last couple of years (I'm Sox starved down here in New Orleans), but your shows were a lot of fun. I know you'll be a great PBP guy.

doublem23
02-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Can't add much more to this thread except beat those Yankees and Red Sox. :gulp:

BRDSR
02-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Dave,

No lie, of all the men affiliated with White Sox broadcasts, I always felt you had the most emotionally invested in the team. In that way you were most like the common fan. The fans don't get a paycheck from the White Sox and they're not afraid to criticize them when they deserve it. Thats the impression I got from you.

I called in once during one of your hated rain delays last season to talk about some of the White Sox games we'd like to see/hear during rain delays. It was the only time I've ever called into a radio station and talked on-air and it was a great experience. Even a little exciting. I don't know how much you have to do with making that work properly, but thanks.

And Dave, someday Hawk, DJ, Rooney, or Farmer will die or retire. I truly hope you're first in line to take their respective jobs. I can't wait to tune into the occassional DRays game on MLB Radio. Good luck!

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Best of luck with the new gig! My father and I loved listening to you, especially during rain delays! The first thing I'd do when a rain delay would occur was tune into 1000 AM to listen to you. You should expect a lot of sox fans down in TB when they're in town. My father and I drove 1200 miles back in 2003 right after the sox acquired robbie and carl to see the sox play. Unfortunately, billy koch blew the first game, but I'm sure you calmed a lot of fans down afterwards during the postgame show!

Jjav829
02-03-2005, 12:22 AM
This news is finally starting to hit the local media. From Fred Mitchell:

Avid White Sox fan Dave Wills is finalizing details to become the radio voice of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Wills has been the host of the White Sox pregame and postgame shows on WMVP-AM 1000. He also is the voice of UIC basketball.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050202mitchellcolumn,1,669533.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

SoxxoS
02-03-2005, 12:41 AM
WSI way ahead of the news sources as usual.

As many of stated...I am going to miss the NEEEEXXXXTTTTT!!! Don't know what you got until it's gone, I guess.

Good luck Dave.

Dolanski
02-03-2005, 04:17 AM
Hawk?! No, no, Hawk, don't go! Oh wait, it's who? Dave? Dave Willis? Oh right, yeah, uh, Dave, well, uh, good luck to you guy. We'll miss you...who ever you are.

Jabroni
02-03-2005, 04:25 AM
Hawk?! No, no, Hawk, don't go! Oh wait, it's who? Dave? Dave Willis? Oh right, yeah, uh, Dave, well, uh, good luck to you guy. We'll miss you...who ever you are.:tealpolice:

This is teal. This is not. :wink:

sox7235
02-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Dave,

You will be missed. Nothing better than listening to you and Meltie in the commercials you did. I will never forget the time a couple buddies and I ran into you at The CF fan deck. You were about to go on the air. One buddy of mine wanted to meet you very badly and you took a few minutes to talk to us and you even explained a few sattelite tips to me as why I have trouble picking up ESPN 1000 at night in my hometown. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us and congratulations on the new gig.

SOXSINCE'70
02-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Who replaces him as pre and post host? Please let it be Carmen DeFalco.

It doesn't hurt that he's also a Sox fan.:D: :D:

thepaulbowski
02-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Best of luck to Willsy, he has been a great ambassador for the White Sox and will be missed. That being said, I would like Carment to get the job. He is a Sox fan and does a great job with the Bulls.

Now, PHG and co. need to start up Devilsraysinteractive.com to give Wills something to talk about while on the air. :cool:

voodoochile
02-03-2005, 07:39 AM

It's called acting...

voodoochile
02-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Good Luck, Dave. I never got to hear your shnow, but it's obvious from the posters around here that you are a class act with a great passion for the Sox. Hope things go well for you in Tampa and of course when you need a fix of White Sox fans you are always welcome at WSI...:smile:

GO SOX!

kraut83
02-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Dave:

You'll definitely be missed! Even the little I was able to listen to you over the internet tells me you'll be great in the booth. I may actually have to listen to a few Rays games on XM now!

BigEdWalsh
02-03-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm happy for ya, Dave. Good luck!
I'll really miss listening to you. It was so cool to hear someone so passionate about the Sox. Just a regular fan. You'll be long remembered and sorely missed.

harwar
02-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Change is always difficullt when its an unwelcome one.
This "drillrod" will surely miss the fire and baseball knowledge of a fellow White Sox fan who happens to be an on-air personallity.
We still all say "OH NO" around here when we hear that the cubs have lost that day.
Good luck interviewing old uncle lou when hes' in a bad mood..
GOOD LUCK and THANK YOU
YOU WILL BE SORELY MISSED
Ralph from Lake Wisconsin

Sad
02-03-2005, 08:15 AM
ditto on this end Dave

called in a couple times over past seasons...
hope it all works out great for you & yours in TB.

take care
Dan

tlebar318
02-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Rain Delays... should not have many of those in Tampa...:D:

I live in Orlando now but grew up in Chicago--I always make it over to Tampa for the series between the Sox and the D-Rays. The crowd is normally more Sox fans than D-Rays fans. 2 years ago I sat next to Bobby Thigpen and his family. Anyhow, what I really wanted to mention was how weird it was last time I was there at Tropicana Field. There was a bad thunderstorm outside that of course was not affecting the game being played. Big Frank was at the plate and all of the sudden there was a tremendous "boom" and a flash of light across the roof. Scared the crap out of everyone and even the players just froze.

wdelaney72
02-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Dave,

Over some time, I've taken a few shots at you on the boards here. While I understand how frustrating it must be to deal with idiot Cub fans calling our post game show, I'd still have preferred you taken more of a "high road" when it comes to addressing the Cubs.

That being sad, you are a true radio talent. You offer a great passion, a comfortable voice, and always come WELL prepared. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you some day down the road doing PBP back with the Sox. I'll mostly miss your shout of "BRUCE Levine!". I think Carmen DeFalco is the best successor, but you've left some pretty big shoes to fill.

As far as who Dave roots for, those of us on the board with families to support would publicly cheer for any team (including the Cubs) if it meant being able to do something we've always dreamed of doing. His heart can and will always be with the White Sox, but it's not hard to show a little loyalty to the people signing the paychecks.

crazyozzie02
02-03-2005, 09:08 AM

Dave

As a Younger white sox fan (18 tomorrow) you were a great influence to me in developing the passion for my south siders that i have today. I always got goosebumps during the 2004 season when the entrance started and you would say your summary of the game that we were about to see and then the classic "NEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXTTTTTTT". Your are awesome and you will be missed. Good luck in the home of what could have been the Sox a while back and try to get the attendance up there.

:whiner:
:graff
Where are you Tony G!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hangar18
02-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Hey Willsy .......... I think a small informal Gathering at
one of the local Watering Holes (your choice) is in order here .......
Wouldnt you Agree? Pick a time/date my friend .........

Rocky Soprano
02-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Dave,

I will definitely miss listening to you. But I am happy to see you living up your dream. I wish you the best. And like everyone has said, remember that you will always have a "family" back on the South Side.

OH!foracold1
02-03-2005, 09:24 AM
The very best of luck to you Dave!!! You'll be missed. Living up here in cheeseland I never had a chance to crack open a couple of ice cold Miller Lites with you and talk SOX but after listening to you after almost every Sox game I feel I knew you well. You were a great friend to console with after a loss and great friend to celebrate :gulp: with after a win. You'll do great in TB!

Ohfor Acoldone

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2461&stc=1
Missing the old shrine...and Willsy too....

Over By There
02-03-2005, 09:35 AM
BTW, who is the color guy in TB that will get the pleasure of working with Willsy? Anybody know?

Kuzman
02-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Hey Dave, on behalf of me and my Uncle who are probably just as big of sox fans as you, are sad to see you go. I'm sure this becomes a broken record but you brought humor when it was needed and of course the epic "NEXT" which you should patent btw.

We were wondering if you would try and get your own slogan for a HR, like You can put it on the board! or Its a Goner! Did you have any ideas like that or are you just gonna try and play it by ear? If you dont reply I understand there are alot of posts and what not, and if you dont I'll just email Brooks and ask him :) Good Luck Bud!

Maximo
02-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Best wishes, Dave!

Thanks for your help in fighting the good fight.

NonetheLoaiza
02-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Dave, what are we going to do without you? Thanks for getting us pumped before and after a White Sox win, and making us feel better after a loss. Your pre and post game show will be missed, but good luck in all you take on in Tampa Bay, you earned it.

MisterB
02-03-2005, 10:00 AM
BTW, who is the color guy in TB that will get the pleasure of working with Willsy? Anybody know?

The D-Rays website (http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tb/schedule/tb_schedule_broadcasters.jsp) lists last year's radio duo as Paul Olden and Charlie Slowes. From their bios, they both look like P-B-P guys...:?:

p.s. found this blurb on CBS Sportsline (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/report/TB/8149145) from last week:

--The team continues interviews and discussions to put together a radio broadcast team. Incumbent Charlie Slowes and pregame TV host Todd Kalas are candidates; the other incumbent, Paul Olden, is not.

Bump34
02-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Once again I want to thank everyone for the kind words... It is a very bittersweet time... looking forward to a new challenge and doing play by play... but I am leaving behind a lot of great friends and memories...

Hangar... not sure when they want me down there full time... but when and if there is a "goodbye" gathering I will let you all know... and hopefully some of you can stop by...

Mickster
02-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Once again I want to thank everyone for the kind words... It is a very bittersweet time... looking forward to a new challenge and doing play by play... but I am leaving behind a lot of great friends and memories...

Hangar... not sure when they want me down there full time... but when and if there is a "goodbye" gathering I will let you all know... and hopefully some of you can stop by...

Willsie,

Why don't you record a few "NEEXXXET!"s, have the sox put 'em in a can for later use??? :smile:

Lizard
02-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Hey Willsy .......... I think a small informal Gathering at
one of the local Watering Holes (your choice) is in order here .......
Wouldnt you Agree? Pick a time/date my friend .........

I'm in!!:)

Ol' No. 2
02-03-2005, 10:44 AM

Hangar... not sure when they want me down there full time... but when and if there is a "goodbye" gathering I will let you all know... and hopefully some of you can stop by...Dave,
Make sure you stop by the BP Sports bar after the game when you're in town in July. I'm sure John Rooney would love to have you as a guest. And we'd love to say hello (and maybe a little razzing about who's in first and who's in last):tongue:.

White Sox Randy
02-03-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm shocked and dissapointed. I never thought I would say this about someone that I don't even know but I feel like I'm losing a friend.

Wills was definitely one of us and that's why it was great having him on the radio. He was no company man but a professional sports announcer with a clear allegiance to the White Sox.

It felt as though he was our collective big brother in our battle vs. flubs mania. It's a shame but I wish him luck and hope that one day he comes back to the Sox.

WSox8404
02-03-2005, 11:47 AM

Hey Dave I am sad to see you go but good luck to you. I was on your show a few times after games and enjoyed listening to you a lot. I really doubt you will remember but the last time I talked on your show it was after we beat the Yankmees towards the beginning of the 2004 year. I commented on how cold it was in the upper deck. I doubt you would remember that but who knows. Good luck again and I hope everthing works out for you. Take care.

34 Inch Stick
02-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Good luck Dave. I may not always have agreed with you but I was always entertained. I'm sure you will do well. Obviously you have touched a lot of people. When some chump radio televison critic rips you in the local paper, you can always turn back to this post and remember that there are many out here who enjoy and appreciate your work.

I am fairly certain we will be hearing you with the White Sox again in the future so it is only goodbye for now.

cwsfannick
02-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Good luck Dave. You will be missed.

alohafri
02-03-2005, 12:02 PM

Please do, Dave! This is an overused phrase, but you are a credit to your profession. It will be hard, if not impossible, to replace you, but our loss is Tampa Bay's gain.

Best of luck, and please come back when the Hawk retires!

Palehose13
02-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Please do, Dave! This is an overused phrase, but you are a credit to your profession. It will be hard, if not impossible, to replace you, but our loss is Tampa Bay's gain.

Best of luck, and please come back when the Hawk retires!

Ditto. Living out of Chicago, hearing your pre and post game made me feel like I wasn't so alone. Good luck and I would love to drive down to help give you a proper WSI send-off!

Hangar18
02-03-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm shocked and dissapointed. I never thought I would say this about someone that I don't even know but I feel like I'm losing a friend.

Wills was definitely one of us and that's why it was great having him on the radio. He was no company man but a professional sports announcer with a clear allegiance to the White Sox.

It felt as though he was our collective big brother in our battle vs. flubs mania. It's a shame but I wish him luck and hope that one day he comes back to the Sox.

It is like were losing a Friend because listening to Dave was like Listening
to someone from WSI on the radio, doing the shows. I love the White
Sox, and I love White Sox fans, there truly are no others like us, so
Cheers Dave, your one of us :gulp:

steff
02-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Sigh.... Dave, Dave, Dave... who am I going to show all my new purses to now..? :D:

In all seriousness, you've been an awesome friend to Jim and I and it's hard to see you go. But like I said it's a great opportunity for you and we wish you well.

On the bright side.. your text bill will likely be a lot less this season. :tongue:

Steff

Palehose13
02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
It is like were losing a Friend because listening to Dave was like Listening
to someone from WSI on the radio, doing the shows. I love the White
Sox, and I love White Sox fans, there truly are no others like us, so
Cheers Dave, your one of us :gulp:

You hit that nail on the head. I think that's why it's so easy to convert my friends...one weekend with you guys Scot's talking about buying a jersey! :D:

Paulwny
02-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I loved listening to the post game shows when the sox played the east div teams and it wasn't past midnight in the east.
BEST OF LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lip Man 1
02-03-2005, 01:13 PM
In case you missed it the first time here is the second interview that Dave did with WSI. You'll find a link to his first interview inside the story.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2607

Lip

RedPinStripes
02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Good luck Dave. You will be missed . :gulp:

Hosey22
02-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Thank you much Dave. I don't know what I'm going to do after tough losses with having you to listen to. It was nice to have a true die-hard to listen to. I know the south-siders will always be in your blood, thats something that can't be lost, just like your presence here. Your time here was greatly appreciated, Thanks and the absolute Best of Luck. I'll be sure to listen to Tampa radio and catch some games when i'm down there for ball in the spring. Thanks Again.

Hosey22

OEO Magglio
02-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Dave--
You'll be missed, you were great on the pre and post game shows and very entertaining to listen to. It'll be sad to see you go but it's a great opportunity for you and I wish you the best. Good luck in Tampa.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm glad to know Dave Wills is being offered such a great opportunity to take on a great new job with terrific visibility. He and his family deserve it. It's obvious he is a dyed in the wool Sox Fan and this won't change regardless of where he lands, now or anytime in the future.

I feel very strongly the need for Sox Fans to have a place of their own to congregate. I always felt Dave's pre- and post-game shows were the radio equivalent to what White Sox Interactive pioneered on the internet. If you weren't a Sox Fan there really was no point to listening to Dave's show and that's precisely why Sox Fans loved it. It's also what makes WSI popular with web surfing Sox Fans. We both cater to a narrow and well-defined audience.

Anyone complaining about Dave's unabashed rooting interest needs to get a ****ing clue. There are hundreds of radio stations to choose from, just like there are thousands of websites to choose from too. If you don't like what is offered, find someplace else to go whine about it. The rest of us won't miss you one bit. You weren't meant to be here anyway.

A little bit of the sports world's nonsense is wiped clean away for having more and more totally biased Sox Fans. Dave was there with 50,000 watts behind his voice to champion the cause.

I just hope ESPN knows they need somebody to fill Dave's shoes and serve the same audience a website like WSI tries to serve. Presumably ESPN station management already knows the type of traffic this place generates and has insights into why a resource the likes of Dave Wills is necessary to tap into what makes Sox Fans unique and a large audience to be cultivated.

Good luck, Dave! We're glad you're here now and look forward to hearing from you again in the future, too.

Kogs35
02-03-2005, 05:40 PM
I'm glad to know Dave Wills is being offered such a great opportunity to take on a great new job with terrific visibility. He and his family deserve it. It's obvious he is a dyed in the wool Sox Fan and that won't change regardless of where he lands, now or anytime in the future.

I feel very strongly the need for Sox Fans to have a place of their own to congregate. I always felt Dave's pre- and post-game shows were the radio equivalent to what White Sox Interactive pioneered on the internet. If you weren't a Sox Fan there really was no point to listening to Dave's show and that's precisely why Sox Fans loved it. It's also what makes WSI popular with web surfing Sox Fans. We both cater to a narrow and well-defined audience.

Anyone complaining about Dave's unabashed rooting interest needs to get a ****ing clue. There are hundreds of radio stations to choose from, just like there are thousands of websites to choose from too. If you don't like what is offered, find someplace else to go whine about it. The rest of us won't miss you one bit. You weren't meant to be here anyway.

A little bit of the sports world's nonsense is wiped clean away for having more and more totally biased Sox Fans. Dave was there with 50,000 watts behind his voice to champion the cause.

I just hope ESPN knows they need somebody to fill Dave's shoes and serve the same audience a website like WSI tries to serve. Presumably ESPN station management already knows the type of traffic this place generates and has insights into why a resource the likes of Dave Wills is necessary to tap into what makes Sox Fans unique and a large audience to be cultivated.

Good luck, Dave! We're glad you're here now and look forward to hearing from you again in the future, too.

how would carmen do?

Hangar18
02-03-2005, 05:50 PM
how would carmen do?

Man, the more I think about it, the more Id love to do what Willsy did ....
can you guys imagine me on the radio? heh heh :cool:

Kogs35
02-03-2005, 05:56 PM

immagine the ratings

Jjav829
02-03-2005, 05:59 PM

Would you do your show like you type? Emphasizing certain words and abruptly stopping lines? That would be funny. I imagine a cross between Jim Rome and Suzy Kolber. :D:

ChiSoxGirl
02-06-2005, 10:35 PM
*sigh!* This is a very sad day for Sox fans. I have just *loved* Dave Wills ever since he took over the pre & post shows in the mid 90s. Seeing as I don't have cable, I listen to about 100 games on the radio per season (including spring training), so I feel like I know Dave and Ed Farmer & John Rooney so well. Losing Dave Wills is like losing a good friend of mine. Though I never called into the postgame show or Rain Delay Theater, the interaction between Dave Wills and the callers that did was nothing shy of entertaining.

What will I miss most about Willsy? There's so much. I particularly loved his "NNNEEEEXXXXXTTT" calls right before the broadcast was handed over to Rooney & Farmer, the way he referred to Cub fans as "drillrods" (that never ceases to make me crack up), and most importantly, the way he made all Sox fans feel like they had someone who totally understood what they were feeling & going through as fans- because Dave Wills is a fan. And though he's a die-hard Sox fan, he never let his passion for the team get in the way of his constant professionalism. If an opponent really handed it to us, he was the first to recognize that and place the blame where it needed to be placed- there were no excuses made for the negative outcome of a game.

I have one specific memory of Willsy and it's from last season. I have the fortune of sitting in Sec. 134 quite often during the 18-22 times I go down to the ballpark, and I remember seeing him during the 7th Inning Stretch and yelling his name. He stood up & looked down to see who was calling his name and waved when he saw me waving at him.

Best of luck to Dave Wills as he embarks on this new journey. And as an avid lover of the state of Florida and everything it is, I envy him for getting away from these harsh Chicago winters. Come back and visit when the Rays are in town in July, and maybe take a swing through Chicago during SoxFest '06. :wink: We'll all miss ya, Dave!

Viva Medias B's
02-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Best wishes, Dave! We'll miss you.

We enjoyed the broadcasts.

Mohoney
02-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Would you do your show like you type? Emphasizing certain words and abruptly stopping lines? That would be funny. I imagine a cross between Jim Rome and Suzy Kolber. :D:

:rolling: Too funny.

StillMissOzzie
02-06-2005, 11:09 PM

Sarcastic remarks should be in teal, Dave. Damn newbies!!!

Seriously, I'd like to add to the piling on of well wishes. I may be one of the few here who actually heard & remember Dave doing p-b-p for the Kane County Cougars, so I know he's up to the task. Good luck, Dave!!!

SMO
:gulp: