PDA

View Full Version : White Sox again snubbed by Street and Smiths Baseball

Medford Bobby
02-02-2005, 12:07 PM
:(: I was checking the regional covers of this years 2005 Street and Smiths Baseball Annual. The Midwest cover edition feature's again another Chubbie, "Just Say NOmore" .........Last year I also pointed this out when some other Chub was on the cover (Kerry Wood?) Where's the photo of Paulie swingin' deep?? Oh, I forgot the SOX are a middle market franchise........Jeez I'd rather buy the Ichiro cover here in the Great Northwest! :whiner:

http://www.streetandsmiths.com/covers_base05.html

2005 Bridgeport White Sox at Chicago World Champions

kittle42
02-02-2005, 12:26 PM
A cover with a Cub will sell more.

Iwritecode
02-02-2005, 12:40 PM
A cover with a Cub will sell more.

Especially considering he used to play for Boston...

Brian26
02-02-2005, 01:32 PM
The Chicago-edition of the Sporting News 2005 Baseball Yearbook has Prior on the cover (2nd year in a row).

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2005, 01:33 PM
:(: I was checking the regional covers of this years 2005 Street and Smiths Baseball Annual. The Midwest cover edition feature's again another Chubbie, "Just Say NOmore" .........Last year I also pointed this out when some other Chub was on the cover (Kerry Wood?) Where's the photo of Paulie swingin' deep?? Oh, I forgot the SOX are a middle market franchise........Jeez I'd rather buy the Ichiro cover here in the Great Northwest! :whiner:

http://www.streetandsmiths.com/covers_base05.html

2005 Bridgeport White Sox at Chicago World ChampionsShocking.

tacosalbarojas
02-02-2005, 01:35 PM
The Chicago-edition of the Sporting News 2005 Baseball Yearbook has Prior on the cover (2nd year in a row).Both the Sporting News and Street covers will be jinxes.

calderon
02-02-2005, 02:32 PM
I just bought the mag, and they pick the sox to finish fourth behind Minnesota, Cleveland and Detroit. No big deal though, they had KC winning last year and we all know how well they did.

Jurr
02-02-2005, 05:26 PM
In the S&S review, though, we've got to consider a few issues. Number 1, they did not have Pierzynski on our roster, and they were saying (scouting report) that the Sox catching would be HORRIBLE. This is just a factor of the press times and the moves that have been made since then. Also, they thought that the Sox infield was pretty subpar with Harris at second. Getting a better hitter like Iguchi could help that rating, as well. I doubt that they'd have the Sox rated so low now that their remaining question marks have been addressed. However, it really doesn't matter how the Sox are picked. Maybe playing with a chip on their shoulders will help. The team has expected to beat the Twins for years now, and it seemed like they were never prepared to do it consistently in a season. Hopefully the low ratings are just a part of the motivation the team uses to win a division title.

DumpJerry
02-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Come on guys, the pudnits don't pick the winners. The games pick the winners.

BRING IT ON! APRIL 4TH!!!!!:supernana: :supernana:

Whitesox029
02-02-2005, 10:49 PM
I just bought the mag, and they pick the sox to finish fourth behind Minnesota, Cleveland and Detroit. No big deal though, they had KC winning last year and we all know how well they did.
:angry:
You're kidding, right? How could anyone be that stupid? I can't fathom it. We have arguably the best offseason we've had in 10 years and they pick a bunch of flukes and also-rans to finish ahead of us? What is this a 12-year old Cubs fan writing? Come on...that's just a joke.
Ok I've had my rant for the week :D:

Foulke You
02-03-2005, 02:15 PM
You're kidding, right? How could anyone be that stupid? I can't fathom it. We have arguably the best offseason we've had in 10 years and they pick a bunch of flukes and also-rans to finish ahead of us? What is this a 12-year old Cubs fan writing? Come on...that's just a joke.
Ok I've had my rant for the week :D:

Even before the Iguchi and AJ signings, I felt the Sox had a stronger team than Detroit and Cleveland. Oh well, hopefully, we'll make these pre-season progosticators look foolish for picking the Sox so low. I am used to our team not getting any recognition and respect.

DaleJRFan
02-03-2005, 02:51 PM
F$&% the Cubs. Let their overrated starting rotation and Nomah have the spotlight. We're flying under the radar.

Church Turtle
02-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Come on guys, the pudnits don't pick the winners. The games pick the winners.

BRING IT ON! APRIL 4TH!!!!!:supernana: :supernana:
AMEN Brother!

JKryl
02-03-2005, 02:56 PM
These clowns must write their articles in November to save time. We'll be in 1st place by June 1st, and never look back.

Jurr
02-03-2005, 11:42 PM
These clowns must write their articles in November to save time. We'll be in 1st place by June 1st, and never look back.
They probably pushed their deadline forward a little bit so they could include the Randy Johnson trade. It wouldn't feel right for a prognosticating magazine to have the Yankees finish second.

nccwsfan
02-04-2005, 07:23 AM
They probably pushed their deadline forward a little bit so they could include the Randy Johnson trade. It wouldn't feel right for a prognosticating magazine to have the Yankees finish second.

They have the Yankees beating the Braves in the WS, Randy Johnson winning the Cy Young, and A-Rod winning the MVP

SHOCKING!

jake27
02-04-2005, 10:08 AM
speaking of street and smith... does anyone know when it will hit news stands? i know sometime in february, i guess im just really anxious for this season to start

Medford Bobby
02-04-2005, 12:02 PM
:bandance: The official sale date is Feb 8th...but it may already be on the newstands.....back when these magazines were all we had before the internet, the start of spring was the early March release of Street's and the April edition of Baseball Digest.......yea... melting snow piles and fresh packs of baseball cards at your neighboorhood mom and pops were all signs that Opening Day was near!!:bandance:

Dick Allen
02-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Saw Street and Smith's and Sporting News today on the newsstand for the first time. Sporting News has Cubs going to the WS. For some reason, I thought we were done with that crap, but I guess we never really will be.

TDog
02-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Saw Street and Smith's and Sporting News today on the newsstand for the first time. Sporting News has Cubs going to the WS. For some reason, I thought we were done with that crap, but I guess we never really will be.

Sports journalists (what an oxymoron) want the Cubs to win the World Series. As long as they appear to have enough pitching, they will be picked to go to the World Series.

It doesn't matter what the White Sox do to improve. Preseason publications will ignore them. Dye is a question mark. Ordonez -- now that he's left the Sox -- is a solid hitter.

The Spaz
02-06-2005, 09:48 PM
We even have to share the cover with the Cubs in Athlon's Baseball Magazine.

tacosalbarojas
02-06-2005, 11:02 PM
In the S&S review, though, we've got to consider a few issues. Number 1, they did not have Pierzynski on our roster, and they were saying (scouting report) that the Sox catching would be HORRIBLE. This is just a factor of the press times and the moves that have been made since then. Also, they thought that the Sox infield was pretty subpar with Harris at second. Getting a better hitter like Iguchi could help that rating, as well. I doubt that they'd have the Sox rated so low now that their remaining question marks have been addressed. However, it really doesn't matter how the Sox are picked. Maybe playing with a chip on their shoulders will help. The team has expected to beat the Twins for years now, and it seemed like they were never prepared to do it consistently in a season. Hopefully the low ratings are just a part of the motivation the team uses to win a division title.
Good points, all. I wish these magazines would move their deadlines back a few weeks so all acquisitions could be completed by final edits, but I guess that's a bit unrealistic. Well, we can now look forward to Athlon's 5th place prediction.