PDA

View Full Version : I just lost all respect for Bruce Levine

FightingBillini
02-01-2005, 11:40 PM
I was watching Comcast Sportsnight, and they had Levine on talking about the Cubs signing Burnitz. When they showed a possibly lineup, he said "this line-up is just like the line-up of the 2004 Red Sox." I am lucky I wasnt drinking anything at the time, because I would have spit it all over the TV. What an absolute joke. The Flubs line-up is maybe half as good as the powerful Red Sox last year. Its not even close. He then went on to explain that they wont strike out alot (BS) will have a very high OBP (BS) and that they are loaded with power (once again, BS).

To me, Bruce just humiliated himself with such a ridiculous comment. I respected him up to this point, and he had seemed unbaised to me. But a comment like that shows that he is a kool-aid guzzling Cub fan, who refuses to face the reality that:
1) This is a third place team
2)They went on the cheap and dumped over $30mil this offseason.
3) "Carrie" Wood is a mediocre pitcher
4) Don't have a closer, and
5) Burnitz wont replace the production os Sosa, Patterson blows, and Hairston wont replace the production of Alou.

Jabroni
02-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Don't forget that they lost Matt Clement and Kent Mercker and are replacing them with Glendon Rusch and Stephen Randolph! :tongue:

DrCrawdad
02-02-2005, 12:26 AM
I was watching Comcast Sportsnight, and they had Levine on talking about the Cubs signing Burnitz. When they showed a possibly lineup, he said "this line-up is just like the line-up of the 2004 Red Sox." I am lucky I wasnt drinking anything at the time, because I would have spit it all over the TV. What an absolute joke. The Flubs line-up is maybe half as good as the powerful Red Sox last year. Its not even close. He then went on to explain that they wont strike out alot (BS) will have a very high OBP (BS) and that they are loaded with power (once again, BS).

To me, Bruce just humiliated himself with such a ridiculous comment. I respected him up to this point, and he had seemed unbaised to me. But a comment like that shows that he is a kool-aid guzzling Cub fan, who refuses to face the reality that:
1) This is a third place team
2)They went on the cheap and dumped over $25mil this offseason.
3) "Carrie" Wood is a mediocre pitcher, and
4) Don't have a closer, and
4) Burnitz wont replace the production os Sosa, Patterson blows, and Hairston wont replace the production of Alou.

Ah, Bruce LeVineLine! Um, Bruce please remove your nose from Jim Hendry's ass.

HebrewHammer
02-02-2005, 12:41 AM
You had respect for Bruce LeVineLine?

MRKARNO
02-02-2005, 12:47 AM
If the Cubs had signed Beltran AND Magglio, I still dont think I would have taken that comment seriously.

Sox Laundry Guy
02-02-2005, 01:28 AM
He won't get away with the "don't worry, be happy" crap, as the Dark Tower Tribune windows will be watching.

Dusty, can you keep Burnitz from 110 Ks (or injury)
Or keep No-More from getting pouty?

The team has more holes than Hickory Hills CC.

81-81, and Prior goes 10 and 12.

MUsoxfan
02-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Levine is right again as always:

Hairston = Ramirez
Patterson = Damon
Barrett or even Blanco > Varitek
Todd Walker is at least as good as Ortiz, but probably at least 3x better

He's out of his mind. There's very little on the Cubs that can be compared to that murderer's row of last years Red Sox.

Chicago83
02-02-2005, 04:44 AM
He won't get away with the "don't worry, be happy" crap, as the Dark Tower Tribune windows will be watching.

Dusty, can you keep Burnitz from 110 Ks (or injury)
Or keep No-More from getting pouty?

81-81, and Prior goes 10 and 12.

I agree that this has been a bad offseason for the Cubs, but I see them winning at least 85-90 games, remember they do have the highest payroll in the NL(Maybe second to Mets after Sosa trade), although they have not spent their money well at all. Prior is an Ace and I see him winning at least 15 games if he's healthy. I think their rotation is overrated, Prior may be one of the best in the game, but after that you got an injury prone Wood, an incosistent Zambrano, an aging Maddux, and Glendon Rusch(Let's laugh as the northsiders are the ones with the fifth starter problem this year.)

I also had respect for Bruce Levine, as he seemd to be one of the few unbiased reporters in Chicago, but his comment about the cubs being the 04 Red Sox is an absolute joke!! He always seemed to be so smart about baseball, but where does he get this idea?? What have they done this offseason that is going to change them into a patient team? The only way that team is like the Red Sox is because of their annoying fans and an obsession with a losing curse.

Jerome
02-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Ah, Bruce LeVineLine! Um, Bruce please remove your nose from Jim Hendry's ass.

[Levine]See, normally I would. But unlike other human beings, it doesn't smell bad at all down here. But I get all the Cubs news stories before other reporters.[Levine]

34 Inch Stick
02-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Overrated Pitching? Prior has undeniable 20 win ability. Zambrano received Cy Young votes last year. Maddux just keeps on winning 15 or more games a year. Wood is the ace of a lot of teams.

I think that lineup will be bad this year but the starting pitching staff is very, very good.

DrCrawdad
02-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Overrated Pitching? Prior has undeniable 20 win ability. Zambrano received Cy Young votes last year. Maddux just keeps on winning 15 or more games a year. Wood is the ace of a lot of teams.

I think that lineup will be bad this year but the starting pitching staff is very, very good.

The Cubs pitching staff has the potential to be very good this year. Of course last year they had that same potential too. Not to be overlooked is the fact that they lost Clement, one of their best pitchers last season.

People talk as if it's a lock that each Cubbie pitcher will pitch up to, and beyond, expectations. They did the same thing last year too. Wood, Prior both had injuries and failed to live up to the hype. The Cubbies finished in 3rd place.

Jerko
02-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Guys, you didn't let Levine finish. He didn't mean BOSTON Red Sox, he meant the Chicago Red Sox of Donovan Park Little League of Illinois. Nah, even then he'd still be wrong.

mcfish
02-02-2005, 10:15 AM
The Cubs pitching staff has the potential to be very good this year. Of course last year they had that same potential too. Not to be overlooked is the fact that they lost Clement, one of their best pitchers last season.

People talk as if it's a lock that each Cubbie pitcher will pitch up to, and beyond, expectations. They did the same thing last year too. Wood, Prior both had injuries and failed to live up to the hype. The Cubbies finished in 3rd place.Wood is still the best 14 game winner in baseball. Maybe someday he'll get over that 15 game hump, but I wouldn't be on it. (He still had 22 starts last year with only 8 wins, so don't try to say that he would have made it if healthy. 10-11 more starts was all he could have gotten and he wouldn't have won more than 6 of them.) I can't wait until Spring Training when every Chicago sports writer/talk show analyst declares him an automatic 20 game winner like they did last year.

SOXSINCE'70
02-02-2005, 10:17 AM

They may have more holes than the Chevy Chase CC
in Wheeling.:D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

ND_Sox_Fan
02-02-2005, 10:59 AM

The starting pitching was good last year too, but their offense couldn't score any runs for them. Now we can expect even less offensive production - let's get ready for a lot of 2-1, 3-2 losses for the Cubs this year, and I am not crying about it!!!

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Browsing the Cubs website I came across an article (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/news/chc_news.jsp?ymd=20050131&content_id=937559&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp)with a title that just about made me pee my pants.

"Batting Around with Ryan Dempster"

Prophetic, no?:rolling::rolling::rolling:

02-02-2005, 12:11 PM
I got to admit I like Bruce. He's a Chicago Sports Writer and he has to give credit to all. But he is one of the few sports guys who gives credit to the Sox and gives the Sox there due time on the air. I respect him and his opinion. Now granted I hate the Cubs on a personal level just like the rest of you....but being a fan of the game, and if I were in Levines shoes, I would have to give the scrubs team credit for what they have.

They have an outstanding pitching rotation.....they have a great infield with Nomar, Lee and Rameriez. They have a cake ball park to hit in....and they get great fan support. They sell out every game, we don't...plain and simple, and we have nobody to blame but ourselves on that. We have the superior stadium, we have the parking where we can tailgate for hours instead of being crammed in a bar, we have the bull pen bar if that is your taste, we have the fireworks, we have it all, but 60% of the year the palce is empty. And Players love fans, if they didn't they would all sign with the Nationals. Now again, I HATE the Cubs, but Levine is just doing his job and don't forget he gives us the most props oput of anyone outside the website!

TDog
02-02-2005, 12:15 PM
.. "this line-up is just like the line-up of the 2004 Red Sox." ...

Of course. Both start the season with Nomar Garciapara at shortstop and talk of breaking a curse.

Palehose13
02-02-2005, 12:18 PM
if I were in Levines shoes, I would have to give the scrubs team credit for what they have.

What do they have?

- Great starting pitching when healthy.
- A Good offensive infield (not very good defensively)

AND???

nccwsfan
02-02-2005, 12:20 PM
What do they have?

AND???

Knowledgable fans who appreciate the history of baseball and the history of their team

A great ballpark with a wholesome family atmosphere

Flight #24
02-02-2005, 12:21 PM
What do they have?

AND???

As I recall, last year the talk was that the Sox had a great outfield, but a questionable infield - something which knocked them down in terms sportswriter rankings. Now the Cubs have a good infield and possibly the worst OF in baseball but they're going to be a great offensive team?

Not to mention that their "great starting pitching" relies on a guy who's never won 15 making "the leap", a guy who's been in decline and is aging continuing excellence, and a guy who's had a pretty mediocre to poor career repeating what looks like a flash in the pan in part-time start duty.

Mickster
02-02-2005, 12:22 PM
We have the superior stadium, we have the parking where we can tailgate for hours instead of being crammed in a bar, we have the bull pen bar if that is your taste, we have the fireworks, we have it all, but 60% of the year the palce is empty. And Players love fans, if they didn't they would all sign with the Nationals. Now again, I HATE the Cubs, but Levine is just doing his job and don't forget he gives us the most props oput of anyone outside the website!

Not to be nit-pickey, but we actually are about 60% of total capacity for the year. :tongue:

nccwsfan
02-02-2005, 12:28 PM
As I recall, last year the talk was that the Sox had a great outfield, but a questionable infield - something which knocked them down in terms sportswriter rankings. Now the Cubs have a good infield and possibly the worst OF in baseball but they're going to be a great offensive team?

:rolleyes:

Their 2004 team was a 3rd place team. They have holes in LF and RF, no closer and their starting rotation is worse than last seasons (Clement > Rusch). Their starting rotation is solid, but they're going to have to have several players have career seasons in order for them to have the offensive output necessary to compete. Burnitz is not an upgrade in RF, Nomar has to prove he's not a liability, and I'm not at all impressed with the bottom of their lineup.

The only upgrade in RF for the Cubs would be Aubrey Huff. Even if they pull off a trade for him the 2005 Cubs look to be worse off....maybe 2nd but certainly not 1st and absolutely not the 2004 Red Sox.

gosox41
02-02-2005, 01:20 PM

People talk as if it's a lock that each Cubbie pitcher will pitch up to, and beyond, expectations. They did the same thing last year too. Wood, Prior both had injuries and failed to live up to the hype. The Cubbies finished in 3rd place.

So whose starting pitching do you like better 1-5, the Sox or the Cubs?

Bob

gosox41
02-02-2005, 01:22 PM
The starting pitching was good last year too, but their offense couldn't score any runs for them. Now we can expect even less offensive production - let's get ready for a lot of 2-1, 3-2 losses for the Cubs this year, and I am not crying about it!!!

I hope you're right. But something tells me that Hendry isn't done just because he signed Burnitz and dumped Sosa. There's still plenty of time to make trades and the Cubs organzation has a decent amount of young pitching to trade for a good OFer.

Bob

veeter
02-02-2005, 01:52 PM

I think that lineup will be bad this year but the starting pitching staff is very, very good. Wood is an ace based on what.? His great stuff? His 20 strikeout game from SEVEN years ago?!!

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Wood is an ace based on what.? His great stuff? His 20 strikeout game from SEVEN years ago?!!Prior has undeniable 20 win ability. IF he manages to stay healthy. IF he has a decent bullpen to back him up. IF he gets decent run support. Three big IF's. How many of those appear likely? He MIGHT stay healthy. The other two are lost causes. If you have questions about Hernandez' health, you have to have equally big questions about Prior's and Wood's health.

veeter
02-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Prior has undeniable 20 win ability. IF he manages to stay healthy. IF he has a decent bullpen to back him up. IF he gets decent run support. Three big IF's. How many of those appear likely? He MIGHT stay healthy. The other two are lost causes. If you have questions about Hernandez' health, you have to have equally big questions about Prior's and Wood's health. This is another thing that irritates me. If these guys are so good why do they have to rely on their bullpen so much? Do you think Tom Seaver or Roger Clemens always had good bullpens to back them up? I use them as an expample because in this town Prior and Wood are thought of as HOFer's. Why doesn't Kerry Wood finish what he starts. He throws 100 pitches by the fifth. Then when the pen blows it, everyone says the pen blew it again for poor Kerry. Kerry Wood is Bobby Witt.

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2005, 03:06 PM
This is another thing that irritates me. If these guys are so good why do they have to rely on their bullpen so much? Do you think Tom Seaver or Roger Clemens always had good bullpens to back them up? I use them as an expample because in this town Prior and Wood are thought of as HOFer's. Why doesn't Kerry Wood finish what he starts. He throws 100 pitches by the fifth. Then when the pen blows it, everyone says the pen blew it again for poor Kerry. Kerry Wood is Bobby Witt.Yup. I've had this exact same conversation with a Cubs fan friend. He woulda won more games if he had decent bullpen support. He woulda won more games if he had decent run support. He woulda won more games if the defense didn't let him down. It's always some excuse. I've started calling him Kerry Woulda.

samram
02-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Kerry Wood is Bobby Witt.

That's a great comparison, one I've used many times.

As for Prior, I still think he's going to be pretty good.

SoxFan76
02-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Yup. I've had this exact same conversation with a Cubs fan friend. He woulda won more games if he had decent bullpen support. He woulda won more games if he had decent run support. He woulda won more games if the defense didn't let him down. It's always some excuse. I've started calling him Kerry Woulda.

Kerry Woulda, haha. Nice one.

Kerry Woulda Shoulda, didn't. It basically describes the career of this guy. How is he different than Garland? His highest win total was FOURTEEN!!! The only difference is that he is a power pitcher, therefore his K total, BAA, and ERA are down, however he still can't win 15 games. Oh, I forgot. Playing for the Cubs is an instant pass into the HOF. Wood is the 3rd, possibly 4th starter in the Sox rotation.

34 Inch Stick
02-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Please tell me you are going to defend a statement such as Garland is as good as Kerry Wood(s).

RKMeibalane
02-02-2005, 06:14 PM
You had respect for Bruce LeVineLine?

Exactly. I never had any respect for him, and I'm sure there are many people who felt the same way.

FightingBillini
02-02-2005, 06:15 PM
So whose starting pitching do you like better 1-5, the Sox or the Cubs?

Bob

Is that even a question? The Sox.

soxwon
02-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Levine is right again as always:

Hairston = Ramirez
Patterson = Damon
Barrett or even Blanco > Varitek
Todd Walker is at least as good as Ortiz, but probably at least 3x better

He's out of his mind. There's very little on the Cubs that can be compared to that murderer's row of last years Red Sox.

you know who has one hell of a lineup 1 thru 9

The White Sox thats who!!!!

everyone in our lineup can hit.

its not the redsox, but i think we are pretty loaded

MIgrenade
02-03-2005, 12:49 AM
"The team has more holes than Hickory Hills CC."

I can't believe anyone would reference HHC to anything. I used to have to play there for high school golf. Saying anything is as holey as that place says a lot.

SoxFan76
02-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Please tell me you are going to defend a statement such as Garland is as good as Kerry Wood(s).

Jon Garland 162 game averages:
Win/Loss: 11-12
ERA: 4.68 (in the AL)

Kerry Wood 162 game averages:
Win/Loss: 13-10
ERA: 3.63 (in the NL)

I'd say they are both consistently average. Woods is a little better, yes. But Garland is less injury prone. Wood is a 3, 4, MAYBE even 5 on the Sox staff. Of course that's assuming Contreras and Hernandez win between 12-15 games.

I got the numbers from baseball-reference.com

Jabroni
02-03-2005, 01:09 AM

I'd say they are both consistently average. Woods is a little better, yes. But Garland is less injury prone. Wood is a 3, 4, MAYBE even 5 on the Sox staff. Of course that's assuming Contreras and Hernandez win between 12-15 games.

I got the numbers from baseball-reference.comAre you not looking at the ERA's or something? :?: Kerry Woods is as injury-prone as they come but when healthy, he is a better pitcher than Garland. That is unquestionable.

SoxFan76
02-03-2005, 01:56 AM
Have you heard about comparing AL ERAs to NL ERAs? The way I usually hear it is to add a run to NL ERAs or subtract a run from AL ERAs.

MUsoxfan
02-03-2005, 01:58 AM
"The team has more holes than Hickory Hills CC."

I can't believe anyone would reference HHC to anything. I used to have to play there for high school golf. Saying anything is as holey as that place says a lot.

Stagg or St. Joe's?

Jabroni
02-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Have you heard about comparing AL ERAs to NL ERAs? The way I usually hear it is to add a run to NL ERAs or subtract a run from AL ERAs.Yes, but I don't think you subtract a whole 1.05 from the player's ERA to account for having to face a DH instead of facing a pitcher.

Mohoney
02-03-2005, 02:21 AM

The starters are solid, no doubts there, but that bullpen will be their undoing.

Wood can't go deep enough into games to win 20 with this bullpen. Leaving in the 6th or 7th inning and handing the ball to Stephen Randolph (lol) or Kyle Farnsworth (lol again) is like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun.

spawn
02-03-2005, 08:24 AM

Wow. He really said that? I know last night on tha radio, he was defending Sammy. This shouldn't surprise anyone. He is an admitted Cub fan. Just listening to him last season on the MJ&H show, when they would talk about the Sox, he would grudgingly give them some credit. But when they would talk about the Cubs, he would give glowing reports. I still like him. He does seem to have some good insider info. But that's where it ends for me. THeir lineup as good as the Red Sox lineup? Is he high?

Ol' No. 2
02-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Yes, but I don't think you subtract a whole 1.05 from the player's ERA to account for having to face a DH instead of facing a pitcher.The actual difference is about 0.5 run/game.

gosox41
02-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Have you heard about comparing AL ERAs to NL ERAs? The way I usually hear it is to add a run to NL ERAs or subtract a run from AL ERAs.

I thought it was half a run.

Bob

34 Inch Stick
02-03-2005, 01:09 PM

I got the numbers from baseball-reference.com

Let's see, El Duque is quickly approaching 40, has had arm troubles the last 2+ years and is hailed here as our #3 starter and Kerry Wood(s) would be behind him. SoxFan, you have got to give up this argument while you can. Garland is nowhere near the pitcher Wood(s) is and Wood(s) would be no less than our #3 (but possibly higher).

Ol' No. 2
02-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Let's see, El Duque is quickly approaching 40, has had arm troubles the last 2+ years and is hailed here as our #3 starter and Kerry Wood(s) would be behind him. SoxFan, you have got to give up this argument while you can. Garland is nowhere near the pitcher Wood(s) is and Wood(s) would be no less than our #3 (but possibly higher).Wood vs. Garland:

Which one won more games last year?
Which one was below .500?

SoxFan76
02-03-2005, 03:36 PM
So if you take a half run/9 innings away from Garland, and he gives up about a half run more than Wood per 9. Garland is not a strikeout pitcher, therefore there are more opportunites for men to reach base and score. Kerry Wood has proven that he cannot stay healthy, and Garland has proven he can give you 200+ IP a season. Last year Garland won more games than Wood....I don't know if I'd be too heartbroken if Garland was traded for Wood straight up. Having Wood on this staff would just guarantee Hermanson a lot more spot starts.

Wood is the most overrated pitcher in baseball. Oh, but there was that one time he struck out 20 batters in one game.

Jabroni
02-03-2005, 03:47 PM
So if you take a half run/9 innings away from Garland, and he gives up about a half run more than Wood per 9. Garland is not a strikeout pitcher, therefore there are more opportunites for men to reach base and score. Kerry Wood has proven that he cannot stay healthy, and Garland has proven he can give you 200+ IP a season. Last year Garland won more games than Wood....I don't know if I'd be too heartbroken if Garland was traded for Wood straight up. Having Wood on this staff would just guarantee Hermanson a lot more spot starts.

Wood is the most overrated pitcher in baseball. Oh, but there was that one time he struck out 20 batters in one game.So the fact that Garland gives up a half run more than Wood per 9 shouldn't count against him because he isn't a strikeout pitcher like Wood and instead allows more men to reach base and score? :rolleyes: Think about what you just said and you will realize how ridiculous it is.

I do agree that Wood is very injury-prone but when he is healthy, he is still a better pitcher than Garland.

Ol' No. 2
02-03-2005, 03:53 PM
So the fact that Garland gives up a half run more than Wood per 9 shouldn't count against him because he isn't a strikeout pitcher like Wood and instead allows more men to reach base and score? :rolleyes: Think about what you just said and you will realize how ridiculous it is.

I do agree that Wood is very injury-prone but when he is healthy, he is still a better pitcher than Garland.If I wanted a pitcher for ONE GAME, no question I'd go with Wood over Garland. But then if I wanted a pitcher for one game, I'd go with Hernandez over either one of them. But we're not talking about one game. Over a whole season, chances are pretty good that Garland will give you more wins than an iffy Kerry Wood.

Over By There
02-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Sorry to interrupt the Great Kerry Wood debate, but I wanted to throw in my story of losing some respect for Levine - this came yesterday.

I was listening to Silvy & Carmen on the way home, and they were carrying the Sosa press conference. They had Levine on in the next segment. They talked about the press conference and other items, then Silvy & Carmen asked Bruce whether he thought more people would show up at US Cellular this year for the Orioles series just to boo Sammy.

Levine then went on to talk about how Sox fans are just jealous - that we rightly felt like we got swindled in a terrible trade and we missed out on the great Sammy Sosa. In essence, we (Sox fans) hate Sammy because we can't have him.

Now I have to say that I have been okay with Levine - I haven't felt that he was unfair to the Sox or was too much of a Cubbie lover, but this blew me away. Perhaps the most ludicrous comment I've ever heard him utter.

Bruce, we don't hate Sammy because we don't/didn't have him, we hate Sammy because he's an egotistical, cheating, steriod-using a**pipe. Get a ****ing clue. :rolleyes:

Anyone else hear that segment?

Ol' No. 2
02-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Sorry to interrupt the Great Kerry Wood debate, but I wanted to throw in my story of losing some respect for Levine - this came yesterday.

I was listening to Silvy & Carmen on the way home, and they were carrying the Sosa press conference. They had Levine on in the next segment. They talked about the press conference and other items, then Silvy & Carmen asked Bruce whether he thought more people would show up at US Cellular this year for the Orioles series just to boo Sammy.

Levine then went on to talk about how Sox fans are just jealous - that we rightly felt like we got swindled in a terrible trade and we missed out on the great Sammy Sosa. In essence, we (Sox fans) hate Sammy because we can't have him.

Now I have to say that I have been okay with Levine - I haven't felt that he was unfair to the Sox or was too much of a Cubbie lover, but this blew me away. Perhaps the most ludicrous comment I've ever heard him utter.

Bruce, we don't hate Sammy because we don't/didn't have him, we hate Sammy because he's an egotistical, cheating, steriod-using a**pipe. Get a ****ing clue. :rolleyes:

Anyone else hear that segment?Yeah. And I thought Carmen was buying into it, too. Yeah, we're really jealous of all those winning seasons Sosa brought them.

Jabroni
02-03-2005, 04:11 PM

Anyone else hear that segment?Bruce is a Cubbie lover. His real name is Bruce LeVineLine.

34 Inch Stick
02-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Wood vs. Garland:

Which one won more games last year?
Which one was below .500?

Please tell me you are not joining in on the Garland side of the argument as I have too much respect for your insight.

Ol' No. 2
02-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Please tell me you are not joining in on the Garland side of the argument as I have too much respect for your insight.See my post #50 in this thread. For one game - Wood hands down. For a whole season, Jon Garland is pretty competitive with an iffy Kerry Wood.

Edit: Over the last three years, Wood has won 34 games, Garland has won 36.

SOXintheBURGH
02-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Wood is the most overrated pitcher in baseball. Oh, but there was that one time he struck out 20 batters in one game.

Absolutely. That's one thing I tell everyone I talk baseball with. Most overrated pitcher in the league. Great, he had an awesome game in 1997. What you done for me lately?

spawn
02-03-2005, 05:33 PM

I didn't hear the entire segment with Levine. I was getting home right when he came on. I heard the first part of his "I'm in love with Sosa" speech before I got out of the car. He actually said we're jealous? Cub fans ask me today who got the better of that deal, and I tell them the same thing I tell everyone else. At the time, George Bell was a much better hitter than Sosa, so at the time, it was a great move. Now I'm sure that if Sox Management would've known that Sosa would be a steroid popping egomaniacal freak in the years to come, they may never have traded him. But, as Sosa so eloquently put it, what's past is past. We traded him. So what. I know I never cried myself to sleep wishing we had him back....

mantis1212
02-03-2005, 05:41 PM

I heard this on my way home yesterday, most uninformed comment I've heard him say probably. He obviously doesn't know anything about Sox fans or how much George bell helped us win the division in 1993.

SouthSideRyan
02-03-2005, 06:41 PM
ERA differentials vary from park to park as well as from league to league. baseballreference.com shows the true value of ERA by using ERA+ which takes the league average ERA, normalized to the park, and comparing it to the player's actual ERA.

Wood's career ERA+ is 117(an ERA 17% better than that of league average)

Garland's is 101. (1% better)

Wood doesn't go deep enough in games? 11 CGs out of 164 starts. 2 out of 127 for Garland.

There is no comparison.

MUsoxfan
02-03-2005, 06:57 PM
ERA differentials vary from park to park as well as from league to league. baseballreference.com shows the true value of ERA by using ERA+ which takes the league average ERA, normalized to the park, and comparing it to the player's actual ERA.

Wood's career ERA+ is 117(an ERA 17% better than that of league average)

Garland's is 101. (1% better)

Wood doesn't go deep enough in games? 11 CGs out of 164 starts. 2 out of 127 for Garland.

There is no comparison.

I can also argue that the N.L. is an easier league to pad pitching stats due to pitchers batting. CG's should be taken out of the equation due to the double switch. I will say that Kerry Wood is the best 14 game winner around, but he's not light years beyond Garland by any stretch of the imagination.

Cowhead418
02-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Wood is obviously better than Garland. Don't even try to argue that. Saying Garland is better is just stupid. Wood would be #3 on our staff. Now, Let's compare Wood to Buehrle. I always hate it when Cub fans say "Wood is so much better than Buehrle, he'd be #4 on our staff. Did Buehrle have any 20 K games the 7th start of his career? HAHAHAHA!":bs: Then when I tell them that Buehrle's worst season is 14-14, and Wood's best season is 14-8, plus the fact that Buehrle has won 19 games and 16 games twice, they just respond "But poor Kerry Wood does not get any run support or bullpen help. If he could just get healthy he'd be the best pitcher in the league." I hate the excuses. I agree with whoever said Wood is the most overrated pitcher in the MLB. He's a pitcher who hasn't won even 15 games in a season, is injury-prone, has average control and cries at the umpires when a call doesn't go his way. How can you argue Wood against Buehrle? It's just not right. If you want to look at ERA's, Wood's career ERA is 3.63 and Buehrle's is 3.76. Take into the fact that Buehrle pitches in the AL in Coors East, and he comes out much better than Wood. I don't like the AL DH argument to say why the AL is better. I believe that the AL teams are just overall much better than the NL teams. If you look at the offenses of each team, their are much more scary looking lineups in the AL then the NL. That is why it is harder to pitch in the AL. Buehrle has two more wins, only 56 less IP, same amount of shutouts, more complete games, and 303 less walks then Wood in 25 less games started. He is also two years younger and is much healthier. Wood wouldn't even win 15 games if the Cubs went 162-0. That's just Wood.

MB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>KW:neener: