PDA

View Full Version : Sox history: Does anybody remember Lou Frazier?

fuzzy_patters
02-01-2005, 11:13 PM
I was surfing retrosheet.org when I found that Lou Frazier is our franchise's all-time single game stolen base leader with 4. For the life of me, I could not remember him in a Sox uniform, so I looked him up. It turns out that he never had a hit for the Sox while appearing in 7 games back in 1998, and he only posted 2 walks. Yet, both walks were in the same game, and he managed to turn them into the record breaking 4 steals.

Gosox1917
02-01-2005, 11:36 PM
I remember watching that game. I can't remember what day it was or what the final score was. I do remember it was in the Skydome though and me thinking "who is this guy". Turns out he was a nobody. Hopefully, we'll break or at least tie that record this season.

Jabroni
02-01-2005, 11:37 PM
I remember watching that game. I can't remember what day it was or what the final score was. I do remember it was in the Skydome though and me thinking "who is this guy". Turns out he was a nobody. Hopefully, we'll break or at least tie that record this season.I think it was really Willie Harris in disguise.

popilius
02-01-2005, 11:48 PM
I remember watching this game with my dad- we had the same response; "who is this guy?!"

Also, reminds me of Liu Rodriguez, or has Hawk called him, "Little Liu." He played for the Sox in 1999- I remember this clutch homer he hit one game- the only one of his career. . . :gulp:

Clembasbal
02-02-2005, 07:59 AM
This was like early on in the season, the guy was already like 35-38 years old and I think they (The Sox) released him about 1-2 days after he broke that record.

BigEdWalsh
02-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Where was I? :dunno:

I've never heard of the guy and don't remember this record he set.

lowesox
02-02-2005, 08:38 AM
I remember him. In fact, I was at the game that he did it. I think he played CF, and I think he was a minor league free agent who had been in the expos system.

Mohoney
02-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Hopefully, we'll break or at least tie that record this season.

Scott Podsednik, your table is ready.

popilius
02-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Frazier, who was 33 at the time, appeared in 7 games, but only 3 in the outfield (CF). He was 0-for-7 hitting with the Sox in 1998.

:gulp:

RKMeibalane
02-02-2005, 09:11 PM
I remember when Frazier originally came to the big leagues. Apparently, he was a huge Ozzie Smith fan growing up.

Hangar18
02-03-2005, 12:22 PM
He was with the Montreal Expos for a long time.

tanko
02-03-2005, 12:30 PM
I remember one time,(I don't remember who he was playing for or who the announcer was),but Lou Frazier when back on a fly ball at the wall and jumped to try to make the catch.The announcer in his Howard Cosell voice said "Up goes Frazier" thats my Lou Frazier story.

batmanZoSo
02-03-2005, 01:27 PM
I remember putting in Griffey Slugfest for N64 for the first time and seeing some guy named Lou Frazier on the Sox, and thought who the hell is this? See, 1998 was the only year I really didn't watch the Sox. That was the lowpoint in my opinion, too depressing to watch, and Sammy and the cubs had the city by the throat. So I had no idea who Frazier was. I thought they put a boxer in a baseball game or something.

Another mysterious name from the 98 roster that appeared on Slugfest was Hensley Meulens. He was another guy I never heard of and wondered why he was on the roster. I just checked baseball-reference and there's no evidence he was ever on the Sox. He was a Yankee from 89-93, then disappeared before coming back for two years from 97-98. Anyone remember this guy at all?

tanko
02-03-2005, 01:30 PM
I remember putting in Griffey Slugfest for N64 for the first time and seeing some guy named Lou Frazier on the Sox, and thought who the hell is this? See, 1998 was the only year I really didn't watch the Sox. That was the lowpoint in my opinion, too depressing to watch, and Sammy and the cubs had the city by the throat. So I had no idea who Frazier was. I thought they put a boxer in a baseball game or something.

Another mysterious name from the 98 roster that appeared on Slugfest was Hensley Meulens. He was another guy I never heard of and wondered why he was on the roster. I just checked baseball-reference and there's no evidence he was ever on the Sox. He was a Yankee from 89-93, then disappeared before coming back for two years from 97-98. Anyone remember this guy at all?

All I remember about Meulens was his nickname was Bam Bam

Huisj
02-03-2005, 04:36 PM
i remember that I put created lou frazier for my computer baseball game after that game because I thought he'd be sweet as a pinch runner, and then when the sox released him, so did I. I was obsessive back then with keeping the sox' roster as accurate as possible all the time on my computer game. I think in my game, Anaheim picked him up as a free agent and he stole like 70 bases for them the next season. it was hilarious.

nccwsfan
02-03-2005, 09:51 PM
I remember watching that game. I can't remember what day it was or what the final score was. I do remember it was in the Skydome though and me thinking "who is this guy". Turns out he was a nobody. Hopefully, we'll break or at least tie that record this season.

4/19/1998 at Toronto

http://baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199804190TOR

BTW, Lou Frazier's 1998 stats:

7 AB
0 H
6 K
2 BB
4 SB