PDA

View Full Version : AL Central preview/predictions on mlb.com

chisoxmike
02-01-2005, 09:40 PM
What else is new?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20050131&content_id=937570&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

OEO Magglio
02-01-2005, 09:45 PM
No big deal the Twins should be the favorite until someone dethrones them. I do however think the Indians finish below .500 and don't even close to the sox or the twins. I have no problems with how they want to project teams but please do your fricken how: Best position battles: Willie Harris is expected to be the starter at second base, but he could get a run for his money from Japanese import Tadahito Iguchi, who signed a two-year contract with an option for a third. :rolleyes:

Blueprint1
02-01-2005, 09:48 PM
We were picked to finish third last year too. I don't even care anymore. I think we have a chance to win the division but I think it will be very difficult to defeat the Twins. Its too bad its impossible to win the wild card in the AL I wish it was more like the National League where its up for grabs every year.

chisoxmike
02-01-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm not complaining that the Twins are predicted to finish 1st. What I meant by the "what else is new" is the fact that the sox arn't even given the time of day. The Indians look like they are going to be the darlings of the AL Central in 2005 with mlb.com, espn, blah blah blah.

OEO Magglio
02-01-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm not complaining that the Twins are predicted to finish 1st. What I meant by the "what else is new" is the fact that the sox arn't even given the time of day. The Indians look like they are going to be the darlings of the AL Central in 2005 with mlb.com, espn, blah blah blah.
There's no doubt that Cleveland is going to be the experts sleeper pick so to speak. Like I said in my mind I don't think there is any chance Cleveland sniffs even 2nd place. I sometimes wish these guys would do their homework and realize that willie harris isn't expected to be the starter at 2nd base.

dcb33
02-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Biggest ST challenge: Replacing the considerable offense lost when Carlos Lee, Jose Valentin and Magglio Ordonez departed.

Does this guy not realize that Magglio Ordonez didn't play most of the season?

He lost all credibility with me when he he put the words Considerable, Offense, and Jose Valentin in the same sentence.

PAPChiSox729
02-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Who cares? :?:
And really, the Twins have won the division the last three years. No one else in the division has gotten significally better either. Right now, I too would say the Twins should be the favorites.

JUribe1989
02-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Willie is in no way shape or form the favorite to start at second. Do your research fatass Molony. It's gonna be great when we prove all these people wrong and they say they knew we would win it all along.

OEO Magglio
02-01-2005, 10:26 PM
And really, the Twins have won the division the last three years. No one else in the division has gotten significally better either. Right now, I too would say the Twins should be the favorites.
IMO the sox are significantly better, however like you said the twins are the champs and until they get dethroned they should be the favorites.

NonetheLoaiza
02-01-2005, 10:29 PM
He says that Harris is expected to be the starter, but last time I checked, teams not named the Yankees don't usually let 2.5 million dollar players ride the bench.

santo=dorf
02-01-2005, 10:33 PM
the 2004 team which made a late bid for the playoffs before fading. Since when is the first week in August considered "late?" :?:

FightingBillini
02-01-2005, 10:54 PM

Are you kidding? No one else had gotten better? Im assuming you mean OTHER THAN the Sox. Once again MLB/ESPN morons continue to say "they lost so much power, they cant possibly be good. These idiots dont do their homework, its ridiculous. This team has no holes.

I also find it extremely amusing that when it comes to the White Sox, all these jackasses say "IF x y and z are healthy, and play like they normally do, the Sox can go far. Because they may or may not get injured, that Sox have a lot of holes in their lineup." With the Twins, its like " x y and z are unproven minor leaguers, but they WILL step in and hit .300 with 30HR. This team has no holes." How is it these morons will think a minor leaguer for the Twins is a surer bet for more production than Jermaine Dye or Frank Thomas?

Norberto7
02-02-2005, 12:16 AM
I'm just not sold on the Indians. Sure, Vaughn can throw hard, but how much longer can Eddie Harris maintain his steady, veteran presence? Dorn can't be counted on to play hard, he's not in a contract year. But, that Chief Wahoo is pretty cute.

I confess to not knowing much about the Indians. Did not they have five All-Stars last year (Lawton, Belliard, Martinez, Sabathia, Westbrook) and only finish 80-82? I know their bullpen was garbage, but was there more to it than that? Lack of supporting cast, situational hitting, etc.....? Just curious.

ma-gaga
02-02-2005, 12:27 AM
How is it these morons will think a minor leaguer for the Twins is a surer bet for more production than Jermaine Dye or Frank Thomas?

Because Frank Thomas missed 80+ games last year and is reportedly out until June this year.

Have you looked at Dye's stats the last three years? The last 4?!? 2000 was the last year that he had a MONSTER season. The last 4 he's been the equivalent of an average outfielder.

Who do the Twins have stepping in? Morneau? Who has mashed for the last 3+ years in the minors. Mauer, the former #1 pick who despite a horrific knee injury has performed every step of the way. Ford, who has been hitting the ball since 2001 including a nice rookie+ season last year. Cuddyer, who's been groomed to take over either 3rd or 2nd. Punto... ok one offensive black hole, but they have a minor leaguer on his way at SS as well.

They have young hungry players with good minor league pedigrees, and THAT is why they "assume" that they'll outproduce the older guys.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Did not they have five All-Stars last year (Lawton, Belliard, Martinez, Sabathia, Westbrook).
That Torre added Westbrook instead of Buehrle, when there were already four of the (3rd-place) Indians on the team (and all the half-game-in-first Sox had was Loser-iza), was a travesty.

samram
02-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Ok. No one in the national media is going to pick the Sox to win the division because they don't go out on limbs very often and Minnesota is the safe choice. The local media is going to be reluctant to pick the Sox because they have done it for four years and they've been wrong all four years. Therefore, we should spare ourselves the indignation everytime we see the Sox picked second or third. Under the radar, etc.

Soxzilla
02-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Ok. No one in the national media is going to pick the Sox to win the division because they don't go out on limbs very often and Minnesota is the safe choice. The local media is going to be reluctant to pick the Sox because they have done it for four years and they've been wrong all four years. Therefore, we should spare ourselves the indignation everytime we see the Sox picked second or third. Under the radar, etc.

Last year weren't we picked for 4th place :/? We've never gotten any respect, but OH well, who cares what bologna moloney has to say, let's just go out there and get it done. Snatch first place by 20 games and win the WS!

Anyways, the twins middle infield looks to be the worst in the AL Central in terms of offensive production ... Castro and Rivas/Punto. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

doublem23
02-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Willie Harris expected to start over Tadahito Iguchi?

:?:

This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

veeter
02-02-2005, 09:07 AM
I think it's a good sign the Sox are predicted for third. I prefer it that way too. It's called the DJ sneak attack.

gosox41
02-02-2005, 09:23 AM

Then it should serve as motivation for the Sox.

Bob

Jerome
02-02-2005, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=FightingBillini]This team has no holes.QUOTE]

Are you talking about our Chicago White Sox?

A team with Crede at 3B?
A team with a leadoff guy who hit .240 and had an OBP of .313 last year?
A team who is relying on the health of Jermaine Dye?
A team whose best player is coming off a big surgical operation and doesn't know when he will first play?

I am as optimistic as the next guy, but I think you are going overboard when you say no holes.

Sorry if I misquoted you, maybe you were referring about how the 'experts' talk about the Twins.

Kuzman
02-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Wild card: There's no doubt this team will be more suited to Ozzie Guillen's style. If the starting rotation can keep up its end and the bullpen additions do the job, these White Sox could surprise some people.

Atleast he got something right.

OurBitchinMinny
02-02-2005, 04:25 PM
IMO the sox are significantly better, however like you said the twins are the champs and until they get dethroned they should be the favorites.

losing ordonez and lee makes them significantly better? Duque was on the DL as much as he was on the mound last year. Pods hit .240. The only spot they are significantly better at is catcher and thats only if aj doesnt poison the clubhouse. Iguchi has to prove himself over here. He is a .270 career hitter in japan. My point is a lot of these guys have a lot to prove. They have the potential, but losing two .300 hitters and a potential 80-85 HRs doesnt make you significantly better. LF they are weaker. RF they are weaker (comparing to a healthy maggs). 2B=?. How do we know iguchi will hit better than .262. Harris has seen ML pitching before. I think there should be an open competition for 2B. Obviously hopefully iguchi wins it with the money he is making, but you cant just hand a guy a job who has never faced ML pitching. Crede needs to step obviously and uribe needs to be more consistent. Rowand and konerko should be fine, but rowand needs to prove he can have the same type of year as last year which he should be able to do. Time will tell, but this team is not significantly better than last years. The rotation is if duque stays healthy and buerhle and garcia pitch like aces. And the bullpen is provided that marte rebounds and shingo goes out and duplicates the way he pitched most of last year.

OurBitchinMinny
02-02-2005, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=FightingBillini]This team has no holes.QUOTE]

Are you talking about our Chicago White Sox?

A team with Crede at 3B?
A team with a leadoff guy who hit .240 and had an OBP of .313 last year?
A team who is relying on the health of Jermaine Dye?
A team whose best player is coming off a big surgical operation and doesn't know when he will first play?

I am as optimistic as the next guy, but I think you are going overboard when you say no holes.

Sorry if I misquoted you, maybe you were referring about how the 'experts' talk about the Twins.

exactly. This team has the chance to win the division, but a lot of it depends on if new players go back to their levels or previous years. This team has a lot of holes and question marks. But so does every other team in the division. And people are making a mistake by just discounting cleveland. They dont suck.

longshot7
02-02-2005, 04:31 PM
There's no doubt that Cleveland is going to be the experts sleeper pick so to speak. Like I said in my mind I don't think there is any chance Cleveland sniffs even 2nd place. I sometimes wish these guys would do their homework and realize that willie harris isn't expected to be the starter at 2nd base.

I disagree. I picked Cleveland to win the division. They're the Sox of 2000, or the Twins of 2002. Not many holes.

That said, I hope the Sox surprise me.

PAPChiSox729
02-02-2005, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=FightingBillini]Are you kidding? No one else had gotten better? Im assuming you mean OTHER THAN the Sox. Once again MLB/ESPN morons continue to say "they lost so much power, they cant possibly be good. These idiots dont do their homework, its ridiculous. This team has no holes.[QUOTE]

The Sox made many moves to fill holes. But to say that this team has NO holes is a little too optimistic. As of now, I would consider Crede a hole at third. I am expecting, though, that he will improve and I really wouldn't look for a replacement right now. Iguchi and Podsednik are also question marks. I am not that optimistic because of the fact that I picked the Sox to win the division the last 3 years. Hopefully, this team will be different.

OurBitchinMinny
02-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Last year weren't we picked for 4th place :/? We've never gotten any respect, but OH well, who cares what bologna moloney has to say, let's just go out there and get it done. Snatch first place by 20 games and win the WS!

Anyways, the twins middle infield looks to be the worst in the AL Central in terms of offensive production ... Castro and Rivas/Punto. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

What about their 1b? Outfield? Pitching staff? They are gonna be there till the end like it or not. I have picked against them the last 3 years and its cost me pride and money in bets with my twins fans friends.

PAPChiSox729
02-02-2005, 04:40 PM
I disagree. I picked Cleveland to win the division. They're the Sox of 2000, or the Twins of 2002. Not many holes.

I would favor the Twins over Cleveland right now. No matter what the media says, the Indian's rotation is NOT that great. Many of the hitters in their lineup had career years last year. I am not sold that those hitters are that good. There bullpen is still bad. I wouldn't pick the Indians to place any higher then 3rd.

OEO Magglio
02-02-2005, 05:00 PM

They had their chance last year, honestly. Their bullpen is improved but still not very good, their rotation isn't good at all, Millwood stinks, Elarton is awful, Lee was absolutely horrendous the 2nd half of last year, CC is very good and Westbrook was very good last year but I'm sure he'll have a bit of a dropoff. I think the thing a lot of people forget with Cleveland is that Lawton and Vizquel are what made them go, both of those guys are gone and I just don't think they'll be as good offensively this year even though Martinez and Hafner are studs, imo.

OEO Magglio
02-02-2005, 05:04 PM
losing ordonez and lee makes them significantly better? Duque was on the DL as much as he was on the mound last year. Pods hit .240. The only spot they are significantly better at is catcher and thats only if aj doesnt poison the clubhouse. Iguchi has to prove himself over here. He is a .270 career hitter in japan. My point is a lot of these guys have a lot to prove. They have the potential, but losing two .300 hitters and a potential 80-85 HRs doesnt make you significantly better. LF they are weaker. RF they are weaker (comparing to a healthy maggs). 2B=?. How do we know iguchi will hit better than .262. Harris has seen ML pitching before. I think there should be an open competition for 2B. Obviously hopefully iguchi wins it with the money he is making, but you cant just hand a guy a job who has never faced ML pitching. Crede needs to step obviously and uribe needs to be more consistent. Rowand and konerko should be fine, but rowand needs to prove he can have the same type of year as last year which he should be able to do. Time will tell, but this team is not significantly better than last years. The rotation is if duque stays healthy and buerhle and garcia pitch like aces. And the bullpen is provided that marte rebounds and shingo goes out and duplicates the way he pitched most of last year.

The rotation is significantly better because we have a 5th starter, Garcia and Contreras are around all year. The sox bullpen is also much improved adding Vizcaino and Hermanson, the sox possibly have the deepest bullpen in the league. As far as the offense goes you can't compare player to player to say who makes the offense better, it's who the better fit is. Iguchi will get on base at, at least a .340 clip imo which being able to hit behind scott and move him along will be a nice addition, same with Pods, he should be able to hit around .270 while adding tons of speed. The sox needed to add speed and better fundamental players, they did that and added Ozzie's type of guys, this team is greatly better then it was last year.

chaz171
02-02-2005, 05:06 PM
I guess this is why they play the games.... To actually find out if your team is any good or not.

Chisox003
02-02-2005, 05:07 PM
They had their chance last year, honestly. Their bullpen is improved but still not very good, their rotation isn't good at all, Millwood stinks, Elarton is awful, Lee was absolutely horrendous the 2nd half of last year, CC is very good and Westbrook was very good last year but I'm sure he'll have a bit of a dropoff. I think the thing a lot of people forget with Cleveland is that Lawton and Vizquel are what made them go, both of those guys are gone and I just don't think they'll be as good offensively this year even though Martinez and Hafner are studs, imo.

I picked Cleveland last year to win the division, but this year I really dont know...The Central has proven to be an odd division, with one constant winner...the Twins

Gotta dethrone them before we start making any "White Sox winning the division" picks, but the cliche of "we have a better team on paper" should be applied here...As it has been for the last 3 years and has gotten us absolutely nowhere

longshot7
02-02-2005, 06:29 PM

I see what you're saying, but I still like a lot of those young hitters - Broussard, Blake, Martinez, Belliard, Hafner, Gerut... Guess only time will tell if last year was the aberration or the rule. Hopefully, the former....

gosox41
02-03-2005, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=Jerome]

exactly. This team has the chance to win the division, but a lot of it depends on if new players go back to their levels or previous years. This team has a lot of holes and question marks. But so does every other team in the division. And people are making a mistake by just discounting cleveland. They dont suck.

I agree with you. This team has enough to contend for the division. KW did a good job of putting that together this offseason. But by no means is this team the favorite to win the division, IMHO.

Bob

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2005, 03:33 AM
How many times are any of these guys right? 1/100 at best.

We know about the Sox and how good they are way before everybody else knows. Most of the nation will call us a "surprise". We call them STUPID.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-05-2005, 03:35 AM
I see what you're saying, but I still like a lot of those young hitters - Broussard, Blake, Martinez, Belliard, Hafner, Gerut... Guess only time will tell if last year was the aberration or the rule. Hopefully, the former....

Keyword= YOUNG aka UNPROVEN. Belliard (30 on 4/5/05) isn't that young and he SUCKS. I don't care what he did last year. Hafner, Gerut, and Martinez I somewhat respect. Blake (not young, 32, .261 career BA, 47 career HRs, 28 last year, 'roids?) and Broussard (28, .260 career BA, 37 career HRs in 916 ABs) will suck next year. I even think V-Mart will suck as well. He did have a good year last year but a well-timed sophomore jinx and some luck may factor in. Who you forgot to mention are Grady Sizemore and Coco Crisp. The guys are 22 and 25, respectively, and have FAT potential. Only problem is they may cancel each other out fighting for a spot in the outfield.

IMO, this team will win 82 games because of they're pitching (full year out of Bob Wickman and the additions of Arthur Rhodes and Kevin Millwood give the Tribe a solid staff) and nothing else. I also see them finishing 2nd in the division, 7 games behind the White Sox, and 3 games infront of the Twins.

Let's not forget the team added Jose Hernandez to play SS (had 373 strikeouts in 2 seasons, and oh by the way, he doesn't pitch). Has decent power, but his shaky defense and lack of contact overshadow any home runs he will hit. Indians may also start Aaron Boone at 3B (injury may make him much less of a threat if he ever was one) and Bob Wickman has always been questionable as their closer (did convert 33 SVs in 36 SVO last 3 years; but 4.30 ERA and 1.50 WHIP during that stretch and only 66 appearances; numerous injuries). As long as he gets the job done though, huh? I don't think so.

Sabathia/Millwood/Westbrook will be a VERY solid 1-3. However, the Indians just have no # 4 and 5. Cliff Lee's record was a mistake last year (14-8, 5.43 ERA [before All-Star Break; 9-1, 3.77/after; 5-7, 7.91]; compared to the much hated by WSI Nation Jon Garland's 4.89 ERA and just 12 wins) and Scott Elarton's 5.90 ERA and 3-11 record don't look good. He may not even make the rotation this year (last spot in rotation may go to Jason Davis).

HoustonAstros967
02-05-2005, 12:33 PM
We could win the World Series and sports writer still wouldn't give us any respect. Look at the Cubs they have done NOTHING this offseason but for some reason the Sox unbelievable offseason still pales in comparision in the eyes of sports writers. Man i hate the cubs.

HoustonAstros967
02-05-2005, 12:37 PM
I think that the Indians have a good shot at the division. If not the wild card. They have a very young and surprising offense. They added pitching and could be real contenders. I think that they will take the division and the Sox will finish second. I think that the Sox roster needs a little boost to get them over the hump and iguchi may do that if he can put up similiar or slightly below numbers in the US.

marlins03
02-05-2005, 12:48 PM
i hope you guys win the AL Central
remember they picked the Cubs to win the WS in 2003
well..... that didnt happen did it??

MrRoboto83
02-05-2005, 04:22 PM
The wild card may very much be up for grabs this year. I don't think the Red Sox will be as great as everyone says. I am glad we are not favored at all too bad they don't pick us to finish last so we could really cash in on the odds

flo-B-flo
02-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Generally when ANY "expert" begins to bloviate about who is gonna win, lose, be good, be bad. I don't even read. Whoever recovers from seasonal injuries usually has a good shot. In other words, thats why they play the games. There'll be experts predicting the Sox will come in first too.