PDA

View Full Version : Regarding All of the Brooks Copy-and-Pasting

Brian26
02-01-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm just going to throw this out there for some people to chew on.

I think it's fantastic that Brooks is making himself so accessible via email, and it's amazing that he's been generous enough to respond to questions so quickly and honestly.

Is anyone else cringing at all of these copy-and-paste threads? Brooks seems like a cool guy, but I'm not sure it's the best idea to keep posting his responses here. I guess there's a huge gray area when it comes to electronic media and one's right to privacy- but are we certain he's cool with us posting his responses? Should we be para-phrasing his responses instead? I'd hate to see this privilege get abused. Just throwing it out there. If anyone knows for sure that Brooks is OK with his responses being shared with every verbatim, then I guess it's a moot point.

MUsoxfan
02-01-2005, 08:01 PM
That's a good point. I like Brooks and think he's a great guy, but maybe every response shouldn't be put on these boards. I think alot of us are just getting used to this novel idea of baseball executives actually caring about fans and their ideas.

BRDSR
02-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Brian, have to agree with you on this one. The whole situation seems ripe for biting Brooks in the behind(anyone else pumped by my alliteration?). I can just imagine some Mariotti-type writer perusing these boards and finding something that Brooks wrote that for some reason rubs him the wrong way, and all of a sudden Brooks is getting slammed in the local media because of an email that he thought he was just writing to some Sox fan.

Brian26
02-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Brian, have to agree with you on this one. The whole situation seems ripe for biting Brooks in the behind(anyone else pumped by my alliteration?). I can just imagine some Mariotti-type writer perusing these boards and finding something that Brooks wrote that for some reason rubs him the wrong way, and all of a sudden Brooks is getting slammed in the local media because of an email that he thought he was just writing to some Sox fan.

OR- and this is what I'm worried about, what if someone happens to change a word or two (or maybe even a sentence) in Brooks response when they copy and paste the alleged email? You're absolutely correct- this is a situation that right now looks very good-natured but could turn nasty very quickly.

Just looking out for the best interests of Brooks and WSI.

samram
02-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Each response he writes is as a representative of the Sox and he composes his responses with that in mind. He isn't giving out trade secrets or airing dirty laundry, nor is he giving out personal information, so I don't think there's any violation of privacy. He probably also knows that he gets a good deal of email from members of this site, and there's a chance they'll post his response.

Now, as far as whether it's necessary or desirable for people to start a new thread everytime he responds to one of their emails, that's a different question.

samram
02-01-2005, 08:29 PM
OR- and this is what I'm worried about, what if someone happens to change a word or two (or maybe even a sentence) in Brooks response when they copy and paste the alleged email? You're absolutely correct- this is a situation that right now looks very good-natured but could turn nasty very quickly.

Just looking out for the best interests of Brooks and WSI.

I think people on this site would know if someone doctored one of his responses or fabricated one to make him look bad.

mjharrison72
02-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Don't all kinds of alarms and sirens go off if Mariotti ever tries to long on to WSI?

dpbyron
02-01-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm just going to throw this out there for some people to chew on.

I think it's fantastic that Brooks is making himself so accessible via email, and it's amazing that he's been generous enough to respond to questions so quickly and honestly.

Is anyone else cringing at all of these copy-and-paste threads? Brooks seems like a cool guy, but I'm not sure it's the best idea to keep posting his responses here. I guess there's a huge gray area when it comes to electronic media and one's right to privacy- but are we certain he's cool with us posting his responses? Should we be para-phrasing his responses instead? I'd hate to see this privilege get abused. Just throwing it out there. If anyone knows for sure that Brooks is OK with his responses being shared with every verbatim, then I guess it's a moot point.

I was thinking that myself. If I were him I wouldn't want my responses posted anywhere.

npdempse
02-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Seriously, this is getting out of hand. There almost needs to be a separate forum for "Sox Marketing" or just "Brooks," given today's posts. Actually, it would be awesome if there was an "ask Brooks" area on WSI (or the mlb site) so he could respond to suggestions in words calculated for public consumption.

mealfred13
02-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Why don't we have someone email Brooks and ask him if he's ok with us posting his responses here, verbatim?

Then we can post his response response to that here, verbatim.:smile:

Dan H
02-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Why don't we have someone email Brooks and ask him if he's ok with us posting his responses here, verbatim?

Then we can post his response response to that here, verbatim.:smile:

I agree with this. The man has a right to know if his comments are going to made public. What someone says privately or what one says publicly can drastically change. If people really respect the guy, he should know where everyone is coming from. This would also help if WSI wants to keep the lines of communication open between the team and anyone at this site.

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Brooks is smart guy. He's not going to say anything in an email that he wouldn't want to be public. Anyway, I suspect the Brooks-stalking is a temporary fad, so it's not going to be a real issue.

Clarkdog
02-02-2005, 10:39 AM
My take is that Brooks is a marketer, and he is marketing the White Sox. So he is going to be very "vanilla" when it comes to his responses. So you're never going to get anything controversial coming from him.

But as to the cutting and pasting of responses - Brooks is cool enough to give a thoughtful response to the emails he receives from fans. Which is way more than you will get from probably any team in the MLB. But by posting them to a message board you are really putting him in a No Win situation. It only takes one of those responses to be edited and twisted to make him look like a bad guy- and then he stops responding all together. Which will affect the way he reallty wants to do his job.

Any ideas that someone decides to float past Brooks, and he is good enough to reply to, should be kept off the message boards. If your desire is to discuss an idea with the members of WSI, post away. But to post an idea that you have 'validated' by Brooks Boyer by cutting and pasting his response - doesn't really have much merit as a discussion thread - except to say "Brooks Boyer is a cool guy for getting back to you."

My $.02.

Baby Fisk
02-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Anyway, I suspect the Brooks-stalking is a temporary fad, so it's not going to be a real issue.
Agreed, and evidenced by the fact that there hasn't been a second eruption of Brooks threads so far today.

"E-mailing Brooks? That's so yesterday..." :cool:

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Having done this myself, in reading this as a separate party now, I think I would agree. Maybe we focus on people sharing their feedback without "compromising" Brooks...my fear is that because of someone being malicious and changing his responses, HE NEVER RESPONDS AGAIN...and we're back to the Rob Gallas show.

Brian26
02-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Brooks is smart guy. He's not going to say anything in an email that he wouldn't want to be public.

That's an assumption. The intelligent, honest, and fair approach would be to get his permission to post his emails verbatim, or we need to start paraphrasing what he says.

Brian26
02-02-2005, 12:19 PM
He probably also knows that he gets a good deal of email from members of this site, and there's a chance they'll post his response.

Again, that's an assumption. I have no doubt that Brooks is an awesome guy with a good head on his shoulders. I'm just looking out for everyone's best interests.

samram
02-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Again, that's an assumption. I have no doubt that Brooks is an awesome guy with a good head on his shoulders. I'm just looking out for everyone's best interests.

Well, as Ol' No.2 and Baby Fisk mentioned, it's probably a non-issue since the postings are a fad. I also have no problem with people getting his permission to post his responses verbatim, and it would be best if they did since he would be more likely to continue to provide quick responses- but it's not necessary. I just hope people stop doing it or do it all in one thread.

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2005, 12:40 PM
That's an assumption. The intelligent, honest, and fair approach would be to get his permission to post his emails verbatim, or we need to start paraphrasing what he says.Which is the assumption: that he's a smart guy or that he knows that you don't send anything in an email to a complete stranger with the expectation that it's private? I think I'm safe on the first one, and anyone who hasn't been living in a cave for the last 20 years knows the second.

Brian26
02-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Well, as Ol' No.2 and Baby Fisk mentioned, it's probably a non-issue since the postings are a fad. I also have no problem with people getting his permission to post his responses verbatim.

Ok, well, three people said it was ok, so just forget I ever mentioned it.

I guess all of the people who said they agree with me don't count?

Maybe the postings are a fad, and maybe they aren't. The point is that posting private email sets a dangerous precedent for a number of reasons, which apparently aren't obvious to you.

Brian26
02-02-2005, 12:54 PM
I think I'm safe on the first one, and anyone who hasn't been living in a cave for the last 20 years knows the second.

That's an assumption. More importantly, as I pointed out earlier, electronic media can be altered. This whole thing sets a bad precedent and is somewhat dangerous...not in a life-or-death way, but in a good-relationship sort of way. You're not looking at the big picture.

Baby Fisk
02-02-2005, 01:06 PM
That's an assumption. More importantly, as I pointed out earlier, electronic media can be altered. This whole thing sets a bad precedent and is somewhat dangerous...not in a life-or-death way, but in a good-relationship sort of way. You're not looking at the big picture.

I think by way of this thread everyone is getting the message. There still hasn't been another eruption of Brooks threads today. I certainly won't create another one again.

samram
02-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Ok, well, three people said it was ok, so just forget I ever mentioned it.

I guess all of the people who said they agree with me don't count?

Maybe the postings are a fad, and maybe they aren't. The point is that posting private email sets a dangerous precedent for a number of reasons, which apparently aren't obvious to you.

I mentioned the other two because I was repeating a thought they had posted.

Also, his responses are not private. He's a representative of an organization responding to a customer about marketing ideas.

Furthermore, I actually agreed with you that it would be best to get his permission since it's more likely he would continue to respond to fans' inquiries. However, I don't think he would change the content of his response whether or not he knew it would be posted.

chaz171
02-02-2005, 03:36 PM
http://www.civicresearchinstitute.com/covers/stalking.jpg

Book are out!!! Seek Help immediately!!!

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2005, 03:52 PM
That's an assumption. More importantly, as I pointed out earlier, electronic media can be altered. This whole thing sets a bad precedent and is somewhat dangerous...not in a life-or-death way, but in a good-relationship sort of way. You're not looking at the big picture.Email can be altered. Written media can be altered. What someone tells me verbally can be altered. I can get his OK and then alter it anyway. But if I'm out to mislead, why bother with all that when I can do it the easy way and just make stuff up? "Do you know what Brooks said...?" Anyone who sends an email to a complete stranger on the expectation it will be kept private is an idiot. Brooks is no idiot and sorry, but there is no big picture. Believe me, he doesn't care if you post his resposes.