PDA

View Full Version : Patch Idea - response from Brooks

ewokpelts
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Brooks,

Hi.Gene here. St holder. We've talked before, at soxfest, the park or through email. I got a few ideas, but the one most pressing to me at the moment is a matter of civic pride. You may not know this, but Chicago is the only city with a flag(Vatican City dosent count...it's a country, even though it's army isnt from there.) I think you guys need to seriously consider putting city flag patches on the uniforms. The home uni has an open slot(there USED to be a Comiskey Park patch, but ..oh well). Or you can place the "flying white sock" on the home uni, and place the flag on the road uni. Just a thought, since we draw from more of a local pool as opposed to the "Distinguished Competition".

Thanks in advance,

Gene Kelly

p.s. Like the job so far.

Gene,

Thanks for the note and thought.

That is something that I did not know so I appreciate the idea. I know we cannot do anything this season because uniforms are already ordered and in production. I will look into this because it could be unique. I also have to look into MLB rules to see if I run into any roadblocks.

I appreciate your time and thanks for sending this my way.

Brooks

Cellview22
02-01-2005, 03:17 PM
It's amazing how many fans know who Brooks is. Among Sox fans, he's one of the most popular guys on the Sox organization. I can't believe how many threads are devoted to him. He deserves all the praise! :worship:

Rocky Soprano
02-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Maybe we can help Brooks buy the Sox! Every e-mail I read I like this guy even more.

Baby Fisk
02-01-2005, 03:21 PM
It's amazing how many fans know who Brooks is. Among Sox fans, he's one of the most popular guys on the Sox organization. I can't believe how many threads are devoted to him. He deserves all the praise! :worship:
I guess the Mods like these threads better than the Obsessing Over Ordoņez threads. :cool:

SOXintheBURGH
02-01-2005, 03:29 PM
That would be a sweet patch to stitch on the jerseys, I never thought of that either. :gulp:

hosieryofthegods
02-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Never even thought about it. Like the Guinness guys say BRILLIANT!

BRDSR
02-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Maybe we can help Brooks buy the Sox! Every e-mail I read I like this guy even more.

Maybe we can all just get a pool together to pay Brooks for the amount of overtime he must be spending answering our emails. And by ours, I mean a lot of other peoples, because I haven't had the pleasure of emailing him.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Great idea! Although I'm sure the cubs would quickly copy the idea from the sox...:(:

ewokpelts
02-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Great idea! Although I'm sure the cubs would quickly copy the idea from the sox...:(:
doubt it...most flubbie fand dont even know we have a flag..and the cubs draw anational fanbase....a local flag wouldnt fly with them...
Gene

BRDSR
02-01-2005, 05:12 PM
doubt it...most flubbie fand dont even know we have a flag..and the cubs draw anational fanbase....a local flag wouldnt fly with them...
Gene

I didn't know we had a flag. I'm not sure that one has much to do with team alliegance. Honestly, everybody raise your hand if you knew we had a city flag.

Ol' No. 2
02-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I didn't know we had a flag. I'm not sure that one has much to do with team alliegance. Honestly, everybody raise your hand if you knew we had a city flag.**raises hand**
We had to learn that stuff in grade school. Bonus points if you can tell me the significance of the two stripes and all four stars.

Unregistered
02-01-2005, 05:17 PM
I didn't know we had a flag. I'm not sure that one has much to do with team alliegance. Honestly, everybody raise your hand if you knew we had a city flag. Seriously? If you've ever seen a Chicago cop, you've seen a Chicago flag...

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2005, 05:19 PM
**raises hand**
We had to learn that stuff in grade school. Bonus points if you can tell me the significance of the two stripes and all four stars.

Here's the definitive resource (http://fotw.vexillum.com/flags/us-il-ch.html).
:cool:

What makes the black, white, and silver Sox uniforms work so well is the lack of color. Adding a red, white, and blue flag would take away from the effect. Put me down with a big "NO" to this patch idea.

jake27
02-01-2005, 05:20 PM
o man never thought of that... great idea!

NSSoxFan
02-01-2005, 05:21 PM

What makes the black, white, and silver Sox uniforms work so well is the lack of color. Adding a red, white, and blue flag would take away from the effect. Put me down with a big "NO" to this patch idea.

Good call George. I think the patch would add to much color to the Sox uni's.

RichFitztightly
02-01-2005, 05:30 PM

I disagree, but to each his own. I don't think a Chicago flag would add any distracting color. But it is a nice touch to solidify the team's relationship with Chicago. Especially after the "Move to Florida" threat.

ewokpelts
02-01-2005, 05:37 PM

What makes the black, white, and silver Sox uniforms work so well is the lack of color. Adding a red, white, and blue flag would take away from the effect. Put me down with a big "NO" to this patch idea.yeah...but the addition of color on the asg patches worked immensely
Gene

DC Sox Fan
02-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Hooray for the 3rd point on the 3rd star :cool:

Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are a few independent cities here in the fine commonwealth of VA that have their own flags
(Richmond, Williamsburg, Fairfax, Harrisonburg to name a few)

Bobby Thigpen
02-01-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm not even from Chicago and I knew that it has its own flag.

But on another note I do like the idea of the patch.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2005, 05:52 PM
I remember the Sox used to wear a small Chicago flag decal on the back of their batting helmets back in the 90's. It was terribly distracting and added nothing to the uniform.

I've got nothing against the city's flag. In fact I think it is a rather nice design, far superior to the State of Illinois' or Cook County's.

It just doesn't fit anywhere on a black and white Sox uniform. If you're really determined to use it anyway (it's been 17 years since they threatened to move, time to put it in the past), put it on the sleeve of the warm up jacket or the batting practice jerseys. That's where most of these alternate logo designs wind up regardless.

hose
02-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I didn't know we had a flag. I'm not sure that one has much to do with team alliegance. Honestly, everybody raise your hand if you knew we had a city flag.

Raised hand.....what is ya ignorant or something:redneck

GregoryEtc
02-01-2005, 06:16 PM
I wrote Brooks today to suggest that the Sox remove the last names from their home jerseys because its not like that would help us recognize this group of "no-names" and I think it would really endear the team to the city more by establishing itself as less individual-oriented...

Brooks replied that he thought it was a good idea but that the Cubs are removing their last names this season so he didn't want to be a "follower".

Did anyone else know the Cubs were going nameless this year? I'm up in michigan so I hadn't heard.

NSSoxFan
02-01-2005, 06:17 PM
I wrote Brooks today to suggest that the Sox remove the last names from their home jerseys because its not like that would help us recognize this group of "no-names" and I think it would really endear the team to the city more by establishing itself as less individual-oriented...

Brooks replied that he thought it was a good idea but that the Cubs are removing their last names this season so he didn't want to be a "follower".

Did anyone else know the Cubs were going nameless this year? I'm up in michigan so I hadn't heard.

:)

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-01-2005, 06:21 PM

I love this idea!!!

BRDSR
02-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Raised hand.....what is ya ignorant or something:redneck

Haha, apparently I am. Everybody who has answered knew that Chicago had their own flag. Either I'm the only one or my fellow ignorant's aren't coming to my defense.

zach074
02-01-2005, 09:00 PM
. You may not know this, but Chicago is the only city with a flag I think you guys need to seriously consider putting city flag patches on the uniforms.

Thats a nice bit of information I never knew, who would think that the one thing i learned today was from Gene and not school?:bandance:

mjharrison72
02-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Hooray for the 3rd point on the 3rd star :cool:

Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are a few independent cities here in the fine commonwealth of VA that have their own flags
(Richmond, Williamsburg, Fairfax, Harrisonburg to name a few)
I would think most cities have a flag... even Naperville has that stupid tree-logo flag. Where did he get the idea only Chicago had its own flag?
DC represent (yes, I realize it's a "special" city).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/DCFlag.PNG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DCFlag.PNG)

Rocklive99
02-01-2005, 09:18 PM
That's a great idea that I've never thought of, the only thing is others won't know anything about it, and they'll think it's some Latino thing or something, but I'm sure the opposing commentators'll have it covered

EDIT: Yeah, wrong, Houston also has a flag ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/Us-tx-hu.png ), I still think it'd be cool though

Nellie_Fox
02-01-2005, 11:09 PM
I would think most cities have a flag... even Naperville has that stupid tree-logo flag. Hey, that's the Naper Tree, commemorating the first tree Captain Joe Naper's dog peed on when they first arrived.

chisox2005
02-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Gene,

Thanks for the note and thought.

That is something that I did not know so I appreciate the idea. I know we cannot do anything this season because uniforms are already ordered and in production. I will look into this because it could be unique. I also have to look into MLB rules to see if I run into any roadblocks.

I appreciate your time and thanks for sending this my way.

Brooks

[/QUOTE]

Here is the MLB official rules on the uniform. Doesn't really say if they would allow or not allow a city patch just no commerial patches it says.
(a) (1) All players on a team shall wear uniforms identical in color, trim and style, and all players uniforms shall include minimal six inch numbers on their backs. (2) Any part of an undershirt exposed to view shall be of a uniform solid color for all players on a team. Any player other than the pitcher may have numbers, letters, insignia attached to the sleeve of the undershirt. (3) No player whose uniform does not conform to that of his teammates shall be permitted to participate in a game. (b) A league may provide that (1) each team shall wear a distinctive uniform at all times, or (2) that each team shall have two sets of uniforms, white for home games and a different color for road games. (c) (1) Sleeve lengths may vary for individual players, but the sleeves of each individual player shall be approximately the same length. (2) No player shall wear ragged, frayed or slit sleeves. (d) No player shall attach to his uniform tape or other material of a different color from his uniform. (e) No part of the uniform shall include a pattern that imitates or suggests the shape of a baseball. (f) Glass buttons and polished metal shall not be used on a uniform. (g) No player shall attach anything to the heel or toe of his shoe other than the ordinary shoe plate or toe plate. Shoes with pointed spikes similar to golf or track shoes shall not be worn. (h) No part of the uniform shall include patches or designs relating to commercial advertisements. (i) A league may provide that the uniforms of its member teams include the names of its players on their backs. Any name other than the last name of the player must be approved by the League President. If adopted, all uniforms for a team must have the names of its players.

Nellie_Fox
02-01-2005, 11:28 PM
PHG confirmed my memory that the Sox had the Chicago flag on the back of their batting helmets relatively recently, so I'm quite certain it would be legal elsewhere. However, I'm also with him that I don't think it would add anything to the uniform. I like to eliminate clutter and keep the uniforms clean and simple.

Hangar18
02-02-2005, 08:16 AM
I started a thread on this last year .......... regarding putting the
City of Chicago Sticker back on their helmets .................
They Looked great, and that would be a start ........

Hangar18
02-02-2005, 08:29 AM

Removing "names" from jerseys is Stupid. Every time I see a team
without names on the back, reminds me of high school teams that CANT
AFFORD to pay for names on the jerseys. Somthing I think this team
is trying to GET AWAY FROM .........being perceived as Cheap

mjharrison72
02-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Hey, that's the Naper Tree, commemorating the first tree Captain Joe Naper's dog peed on when they first arrived.
Something like that... I wanted to find a picture of it online, but Naperville pride seems to be running a little thin lately. Sharp-looking city website, though... as long as you aren't trying to search for the flag.

Church Turtle
02-02-2005, 08:54 AM
I like the City of Chicago flag. I am way out in the Outback and knew about it. I would have to see it presented on a uni to decide if I like it as a patch or not. It might not look so hot with the black and silver, but then again...

And as for the State of Illinois flag in comparison - the Chicago flag wins hands down. Who ever came up with the idea of the state seal on a white flag must have been just mailing it in folks. Indiana - they have a great state flag.

MisterB
02-02-2005, 09:29 AM
I would think most cities have a flag... even Naperville has that stupid tree-logo flag. Where did he get the idea only Chicago had its own flag?
DC represent (yes, I realize it's a "special" city).

San Francisco's had an official flag since 1900:

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/u/us-ca-sf.gif

RustyKuntz
02-02-2005, 11:15 AM
**raises hand**

If I remember correctly:

The 2 blue stripes represent the 2 branches of the Chicago River.

The 4 stars represent:
-Fort Dearborn
-The Chicago Fire
-The 1893 World's Fair, "World's Columbian Exposition"
-The 1933 Wor'd's Fair, "A Century of Progress"

What do I win? :bandance:

Palehose13
02-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Removing "names" from jerseys is Stupid. Every time I see a team
without names on the back, reminds me of high school teams that CANT
AFFORD to pay for names on the jerseys. Somthing I think this team
is trying to GET AWAY FROM .........being perceived as Cheap

I agree with you Hangar. IIRC, when the Sox first wore their most recent uni's the home jersey didn't have names. A few years later, the names were put on the back...leave'em on. And if you wanna talk about tradition...who was the FIRST team to put names on the back? :wink:

mzol11
02-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Hate to spoil you nice little trivia, but the city of New Orleans has its own "official" flag.

wdelaney72
02-02-2005, 12:41 PM

When I first heard of the Cubs doing this, I thought it was ridiculous. I understand keeping it that way if a team never put the names on in the first place, but to take them off later just seems stupid. I like the names on the uniforms.

As far as the City Of Chicago patch goes, I don't think the color would be a distraction. I think it's a great idea.

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2005, 12:48 PM
If I remember correctly:

The 2 blue stripes represent the 2 branches of the Chicago River.

The 4 stars represent:
-Fort Dearborn
-The Chicago Fire
-The 1893 World's Fair, "World's Columbian Exposition"
-The 1933 Wor'd's Fair, "A Century of Progress"

What do I win? :bandance:You win a banana.:supernana:

RustyKuntz
02-02-2005, 04:08 PM
sweet. :bandance: