PDA

View Full Version : The Big Hurt????

mikesouthside
02-01-2005, 02:12 PM
How important is it to you that Frank Thomas remains a member of the White Sox for his entire career?

Rocky Soprano
02-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Frank Thomas, deserves to end his career as a White Sox. PERIOD.

Palehose13
02-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Very important. He was a first round pick by the White Sox and he has spent his entire career here. It is extremely rare for a baseball player to spend his entire careeer with the team that drafted him. Frank Thomas should be one of those rare players. It would be a sad, sad, day if Frank Thomas goes to another team.

mjharrison72
02-01-2005, 02:18 PM
I agree... not only would it be somewhat unique to see a ballplayer, especially a great one, spend his entire career with the same team, but I also think the Sox sometimes get a bad rap for how they have treated aging stars in the past. A certain catcher comes to mind. Here's to dealing with Big Frank in a more professional manner and letting him retire with pride on the South Side.

jshanahanjr
02-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Hopefully he will retire a White Sox. I don't know what his market value will be next year coming off 2005, if he only plays in 100 games?

Chicago83
02-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I hope Frank will retire as one of the greatest Sox ever.

BRDSR
02-01-2005, 02:24 PM
I think it would be awesome to see Frank Thomas hit his 500th home run at Sox Park in say...2006, 2007. Who was the last player to hit 500 home runs with the same team?

BigEdWalsh
02-01-2005, 02:24 PM
The way the options are worded, I chose Depends.....
In all actuality, I would say it's very important, but come on, life goes on.

mikesouthside
02-01-2005, 02:28 PM
I know over the years Frank has had his up's and down's with his attitude, but on the field he was business. I would love to see him stay and do think he WANTS to stay but...if he becomes unproductive...how do you handle the situation? Let's all hope for White Sox pride that he puts up good numbers and knows when to say when.

idseer
02-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Frank Thomas, deserves to end his career as a White Sox. PERIOD.

i don't understand this sentiment. what do you mean 'he deserves' it?

imo it doesn't make any difference at all where he ends his career. would you say that if he can no longer help the sox for whatever reason but he COULD help someone else that he shouldn't? it's absurd.
i don't know what it is that's so important about a player spending his whole career with one team. who is it important to? the player? i doubt it. the team? i doubt it. the fan? probably.

NonetheLoaiza
02-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Who was the last player to hit 500 home runs with the same team?

iirc, bonds has hit 500+ with the Giants.

idseer
02-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Who was the last player to hit 500 home runs with the same team?

iirc, bonds has hit 500+ with the Giants.

i'm guessing the guy from baltimore. hmmm i can't recall his name right now. 1st baseman ... hof'er .....

edit: eddie murray?

re edit: nope! way off. wow i didn't realize he played for so many teams.

maybe mantle was the last.????

re re edit: mike schmidt! :smile: then mays .... THEN mantle!

jake27
02-01-2005, 02:44 PM
i choose very important, even tho i wouldnt die 1000 deaths. i think this poll is worded very well... weird. but i would love for frank to retire as a white sox

Deadguy
02-01-2005, 02:46 PM
I seriously doubt Frank will finish his career on the South Side. He really has no ties to the city or the organization other than the fact that he just happened to be drafted by the White Sox in 1989. This is different than the sentiment that Barry Larkin feels towards the Reds and the city of Cincinatti. It's no secret that KW doesn't want him on the team, and the Sox aren't going to pay him 10 million next year. I imagine Thomas will take the 3.5 million dollar buy out, and move on to Baltimore if Palmeiro retires after this season.

As far as the importance, the bottom line is winning the division. No one should take precedent over that. I'm not convinced that FT is currently hurting the Sox at his production level or salary. Power is the last thing that usually leaves an athlete, and Thomas isn't going to lose his batter's eye or plate discipline, which will ussually equate into a high OPS. The wild card of course is his BA, which is a very fickle stat. The difference between a hit and an out can literally be measured in inches. An extra single per week in the baseball season (26), as opposed to an out, can make up the difference between a guy hitting .265 for a season, vs. hitting .315.

Clembasbal
02-01-2005, 02:48 PM
With the era of free agency, rarely does anybody stay his entire career with one team, let only one organization. Ripken and Gwynn are the only two I can think of in the last three-five years.

It would kill me to see him in another uniform.

Flight #24
02-01-2005, 02:49 PM
I seriously doubt Frank will finish his career on the South Side. He really has no ties to the city or the organization other than the fact that he just happened to be drafted by the White Sox in 1989. This is different than the sentiment that Barry Larkin feels towards the Reds and the city of Cincinatti. It's no secret that KW doesn't want him on the team, and the Sox aren't going to pay him 10 million next year. I imagine Thomas will take the 3.5 million dollar buy out, and move on to Baltimore if Palmeiro retires after this season.

As far as the importance, the bottom line is winning the division. No one should take precedent over that. I'm not convinced that FT is currently hurting the Sox at his production level or salary. Power is the last thing that usually leaves an athlete, and Thomas isn't going to lose his batter's eye or plate discipline, which will ussually equate into a high OPS. The wild card of course is his BA, which is a very fickle stat. The difference between a hit and an out can literally be measured in inches. An extra single per week in the baseball season (26), as opposed to an out, can make up the difference between a guy hitting .265 for a season, vs. hitting .315.

I believe they'll come to agreement on an extension at less than the current $10mil for 2006. This team needs his production, and JR wants him around. Plus, I think they'll see the worth of keeping him around his whole career - and if they don't, Brooks will certainly remind them!

voodoochile
02-01-2005, 03:13 PM
I was really torn by the choices in this poll.

I want Frank to retire here. I think he deserves to retire here. I hope JR goes out of his way to make sure Frank retires here.

But... I'm all about the team. If they can improve the team by trading him and it gives Frank a chance to go where people will scream his name and give him a legitimate shot at at WS title, then go with my blessing, Frank.

If it means screwing the big man over for a minor improvement then I am not for it. It has to be a definite upgrade and it has to be fair for Frank. He deserves no less...

mweflen
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
The choices are worded a bit strong, but I picked "face of the Sox."

I'd put it more this way: Frank Thomas is a great player, and I'd like to see him finish his career with us, and to see his career return to a bit higher level than the past few seasons. He's not perfect and shouldn't be worshipped as a hero. But he seems like an all-right guy, and you can't argue with his production.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-01-2005, 03:16 PM
If this team wins a World Series, and Frank is an intergral part of the team, then I want him to stay. It'll cost some good coin, but what the heck, it'll be worth it. On the other hand, a World's Championship is what I want, and I don't really care what guys are wearing the uniform. The season is long enough to warm up to anyone.

ja1022
02-01-2005, 03:19 PM
I think it would be awesome to see Frank Thomas hit his 500th home run at Sox Park in say...2006, 2007.

Preferably 2006.

I'm a Frank Thomas fan and I'd love to see him finish his career with the Sox. That said however, I only want him as long as he's producing. I hope that Frank doesn't try to hang on longer than he should, in any uniform.

Ol' No. 2
02-01-2005, 03:19 PM
I'd love to see Thomas finish his career on the South Side. But it's a two-way street. When he gets to the point that he's not productive anymore, he should recognize it and retire gracefully. Unfortunately, too many players don't know when to hang 'em up, and will go to whoever will pay them just to try to squeeze out another year.

Rocky Soprano
02-01-2005, 03:22 PM
i don't understand this sentiment. what do you mean 'he deserves' it?

imo it doesn't make any difference at all where he ends his career. would you say that if he can no longer help the sox for whatever reason but he COULD help someone else that he shouldn't? it's absurd.
i don't know what it is that's so important about a player spending his whole career with one team. who is it important to? the player? i doubt it. the team? i doubt it. the fan? probably.

He's done a lot for the Sox, and I think he could still do more. When Frank is hot, he can carry the whole team.

When I say he deserves it, I say it because of his accomplisments with the Sox, he deserves to be able to retire on the team where he started, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame with a Sox hat, he deserves to get rid of that bad rap he has.

idseer
02-01-2005, 03:37 PM
He's done a lot for the Sox, and I think he could still do more. When Frank is hot, he can carry the whole team.

When I say he deserves it, I say it because of his accomplisments with the Sox, he deserves to be able to retire on the team where he started, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame with a Sox hat, he deserves to get rid of that bad rap he has.

i'm sure he'll go in in a white sox hat no matter who he finishes with.

i don't see how he 'deserves' to stay a white sox just because he started here anymore than any other player who started wherever they started.
and i actually think he deserves the rap he has. he may have mellowed the last couple years, but he also made the bed he sleeps in.

personally i hope he stays IF his price is right AND he keeps producing.

Deadguy
02-01-2005, 03:47 PM
I'd love to see Thomas finish his career on the South Side. But it's a two-way street. When he gets to the point that he's not productive anymore, he should recognize it and retire gracefully. Unfortunately, too many players don't know when to hang 'em up, and will go to whoever will pay them just to try to squeeze out another year.

FWIW, Thomas really looked up to Harold Baines, and mentioned that he admired the way that Harold pretty much hung on until the phone stopped ringing, and that he plans on going out the same way.

This was before this particular injury, though, and Thomas says a long of things that either don't come to fruition or don't make a whole lot of sense. I honestly think it really depends on how he can bounce back from this injury.

I'd say he should take into consideration the possibility of doing some permanent damage to his ankle, rather than the possibility of embarassing himself by hanging on too long. Thomas' life is less than half over, and there is no reason for him to take the chance of having to live in constant pain for the rest of his life just for the sake of squeezing out a couple more seasons. I'm not Beckett and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night though, so I won't speculate any further on that.

Ol' No. 2
02-01-2005, 03:57 PM
FWIW, Thomas really looked up to Harold Baines, and mentioned that he admired the way that Harold pretty much hung on until the phone stopped ringing, and that he plans on going out the same way.

This was before this particular injury, though, and Thomas says a long of things that either don't come to fruition or don't make a whole lot of sense. I honestly think it really depends on how he can bounce back from this injury.

I'd say he should take into consideration the possibility of doing some permanent damage to his ankle, rather than the possibility of embarassing himself by hanging on too long. Thomas' life is less than half over, and there is no reason for him to take the chance of having to live in constant pain for the rest of his life just for the sake of squeezing out a couple more seasons. I'm not Beckett and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night though, so I won't speculate any further on that.Watching Harold that last year trying to hang on to squeeze out his 3000th hit was painful. I hope Thomas doesn't do the same thing.

voodoochile
02-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Watching Harold that last year trying to hang on to squeeze out his 3000th hit was painful. I hope Thomas doesn't do the same thing.

Yeah, but getting the chance to be one of the 3K people or so who stuck around on a cold early fall afternoon to give Haaarold a standing ovation during his last MLB AB at the Cell was worth every penny of my season tickets that year.

PAPChiSox729
02-01-2005, 04:29 PM
I, like many was torn on this question. I am a big Frank Thomas fan. But no player is greater then the team. If we were to better the team by getting rid of him, then I would not be absolutely devestated to see him go.

spawn
02-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Frank needs to retire as a member of the White Sox. That is extremely important to me. But as someone else stated, if he doesn't, life goes on...

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2005, 04:33 PM
I really don't see how Frank suddenly becomes underachieving or overpaid. He is already a DH and no liability in the field. His value to another team is already sliced because he can't play the field, 16 N.L. teams won't even look at him.

Compared to Maggs, Konerko, and Lee, the 2004 Frank was significantly underpaid. I'm guessing many of you have already forgotten it was Frank carrying the offense through May. Then he turned up lame with a broken foot and the team went into an immediate nosedive with others trying to fill his shoes.

Frank has a great batting eye and that lifts his OBP to top-tier levels. This isn't a skill that will fade with age.

Frank figures to be cheap to keep, provided the Sox aren't stupid about throwing him away. The only good reason Frank would leave the Sox is because he has been treated so lousy by the organization, including Kenny Williams whining about the need for cast-wearing "decoys" on the Sox bench.

chaz171
02-01-2005, 04:40 PM
I think it would be awesome to see Frank Thomas hit his 500th home run at Sox Park in say...2006, 2007. Who was the last player to hit 500 home runs with the same team?

That Big goof who the Crub just traded to baltimore..........

Church Turtle
02-01-2005, 04:48 PM
The team's number one. No one member of the team is more important than the success of the whole. However, it would be a shame if he finished his career some place else. One of the best SOX players of all time DHing for Tampa? That's just wrong.

OurBitchinMinny
02-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Its fairly important, but I dont want to see him stick around and be a shell of himself. If it helps the team in some way and they are not in contention in the next couple years, I wouldnt have a problem with it, especially if he got traded to a contender because all the **** he has put up with this orginization he deserves a shot at a title. Hopefully that can come here, but they are not quite there yet. Especially with the evil empires out east. It does no good to just have him here on the DL or hitting .220 with the occassional homer. Hopefully he comes back strong this year and regains his all star form.

Jjav829
02-01-2005, 05:44 PM
I chose the middle one. I would like to see him finish his career here, as long as he is still productive and not hurting the team. But once that day comes that he is no longer a productive player, then it will be time for him to hang them up or choose to stick around on another team. For that matter, if he is still a semi-productive player, but no longer a force, I wouldn't have a problem with the Sox letting him go to sign a better player. I'm with what I hope is the majority of fans that feel team success is more important than keeping a player around for sentimental reasons. But as long as he is still hitting well, and making money worthy of his prodcution, I'd want him on the Sox.