about. Perhaps there could be a booklet of do's and don'ts when it
comes to things like these, or maybe even a pre-game message from Paul
Konerko on the matter.

What say you?

A few hours ago, I got a response:

Thanks for the note.

Couldn't agree with you more. I have had people tell me that anyone
throwing a ball on the field should be thrown out, beaten and never let
back in the park. I think I like your idea better.

We may be able to create a video in spring training addressing the
issue.

How stupid is it to throw a ball back? I have been going to games for
years hoping to have a chance to get a ball with no luck. If I get it,
I certainly would not throw it back.

Brooks

About an hour after that, I got another letter.

To further my earlier e-mail, as of this morning I have our game
operations department looking into putting something together. No
specific promises but I think it is an issue we can tastefully address.

Brooks

Not only is this guy awesome, but man does he work fast.

Baby Fisk
02-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Most impressive, young Jedi. :thumbsup:

Rocky Soprano
02-01-2005, 10:08 AM
That is a great idea! Last year I caught my first ball, a foul pop up from the great Joe Borchard. :D: Since it was my first I kept it, but if I ever catch another ball, I would not hesitate from giving it to a kid nearby.

I was able to meet Brooks at SoxFest and I have to say that I really enjoyed chatting with him. He asked me questions as a fan, he asked what I liked about the Sox and when I told him, he actually listened and gave a thoughtful response. At the end he said, hey make sure to invite your friends to the park.

I am a huge Brooks fan! Keep up the great work!

chaz171
02-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I really think this is a good Idea to give the ball to a kid at the game....

I've been going to games since I was 3 and I'm 0 for life (That's a lower average than Len Sakata had in his career at sox park) so I'd never dream of tossing a ball back......

spawn
02-01-2005, 10:20 AM
I really think this is a good Idea to give the ball to a kid at the game....

I've been going to games since I was 3 and I'm 0 for life (That's a lower average than Len Sakata had in his career at sox park) so I'd never dream of tossing a ball back......

I've been going to games since I was 9, and I'm 0 for life as as well. I took my stepson to his first game a few years back. It was the Sox and the Blue Jays. At the end of the Jays batting practice, Jm Fregosi tosses him a ball. He then got it autographed by James Baldwin and Kelly Wunsch, I think. Then later in the game, The batboy tossed him a foul ball. So he gets two balls his first game, and I'm still stuck with 0! And the worst thing is, he's becoming a Cub fan!!! I don't know how, considering he's never been to the shrine, and I have no intentions of taking him. I will break him of that!

Ok, rant over.:D:

Iguana775
02-01-2005, 10:20 AM
this guy rocks! I'm glad they finally have a real PR guy in the front office. :dtroll:

mweflen
02-01-2005, 10:26 AM
could not agree more with everything on this thread.
:threadrules:
oh, i have one foul ball, off of Armando Rios during a game which had to be about 32 degrees in April 2003. So I had no competition tracking it down as it rattled around the empty seats just to the 3rd base side of home plate. :rolleyes:

JKryl
02-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Giving the ball to a kid is a great idea, but I think beating the crap out of someone who throws it onto the field would be much more fun. It would also help keep the security staff in shape. :wink:

ps We should give the same treatment to anyone trying to start "the wave". :D:

Ol' No. 2
02-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Throwing the ball back is too dumb even for Cubs fans. They bring an extra ball with them and throw that one back, keeping the game ball.

jabrch
02-01-2005, 10:39 AM
I went to the Sox/Cubs game on Friday last year. I was sitting just over the visitors dugout. Sosa was playing catch, right in front of the dugout with Alou during warmups and I was taunting Sosa MERCILESSLY. I would rotate between english and spanish, got on him about his rubberband arm, his Ks, his hop...absolutely everything... My voice carries very well - he heard me - and turned around a few times to see me...

So when he was done loosening up, he came over towards me - pointed at me - and tossed me a ball. Now the last thing I want in life is a souverneir (sp?) from Sammy Sosa - so I turned to this little girl in a Sox hat and I gave it to her.

I see no reason to not do that. Brooks and Fish are right. It should be THE thing to do.

jake27
02-01-2005, 10:41 AM
if i got a foul ball i would NEVER throw it back. I had billy koch toss me a ball when he was done warming up in the bullpen and Man Soo Lee toss me one during batting practice... but not foul or home run balls. if you dont want it, giving it to a kid would be awesome... mabye if you give it to a kid you get a coupon for free hot dog for free tickets or buy 1 get 1 free tickets.

a story kind of on topic... i was about 9 and my family went to a game. a foul ball came my direction, my dad attempted to catch it, but some guys behind be got it and in the process spilled 3 beers all over me. they didnt even give me the ball or say sorry :mad:

RedPinStripes
02-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Brooks rocks! I really like the move they made here. Gallas never did stuff like this.

mweflen
02-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Nothing should ever be thrown on the field. It's just not cool. They should kick anyone who does it out, and fine them for disporderly conduct. It's a safety issue, pure and simple. I hope they stress this in whatever video announcement they cook up.

Dadawg_77
02-01-2005, 10:54 AM
if i got a foul ball i would NEVER throw it back. I had billy koch toss me a ball when he was done warming up in the bullpen and Man Soo Lee toss me one during batting practice... but not foul or home run balls. if you dont want it, giving it to a kid would be awesome... mabye if you give it to a kid you get a coupon for free hot dog for free tickets or buy 1 get 1 free tickets.

The Sox could see if SBC Yellow Pages or the Yellow Book would sponsor this. If you give the ball away you'll get a prize from the phone book or if you throw the ball on the field, you'll get the phone book.

Hangar18
02-01-2005, 11:11 AM
So when he was done loosening up, he came over towards me - pointed at me - and tossed me a ball. Now the last thing I want in life is a souverneir (sp?) from Sammy Sosa - so I turned to this little girl in a Sox hat and I gave it to her.

Give credit where Credits due ............ that was Nice of him to do that.

SOXintheBURGH
02-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Viva la Brooks! That's awesome. This guy is working wonders for our team.

I've only caught one foul ball, and it was at Three Rivers Stadium off of Ed Sprague.. actually, my dad caught it and gave it to me, but instead of being a kid I was like 16 or 17 at the time. :D:

Iwritecode
02-01-2005, 11:39 AM
The Sox could see if SBC Yellow Pages or the Yellow Book would sponsor this. If you give the ball away you'll get a prize from the phone book or if you throw the ball on the field, you'll get the phone book.

Not a bad idea...

:D:

LineShot
02-01-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm proud to say that I actually caught a foul ball in my lifetime. It was off the bat of Rafael Palmero, it bounced off the bottom of the upper deck and fell down into an empty row of seats on the 3rd base side. I ran to the spot where the ball was, put my hand on it and was immediately pancaked by 2 or 3 people! But I got it and was so happy I had to go give my dad a big hug. (Honestly don't know where the ball is now, but I still have the memory!)

iwcup
02-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Given the media bias in this city, it would be best NOT to beat anyone up in the bleachers, regardless, of how dumb they are....

Church Turtle
02-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Brooks seems to be a great PR guy. Taking time for fan e-mails and really pondering them, that is really awesome. Sounds like a guy that loves his job.

On the other thing. I've never caught a foul or homer. Not at any of the major league games I've been to, not even any of the dozens of minor league games I went to. And the way the media portrays baseball as becoming less and less relevant to young fans in comparison with football and basketball (not to dis either of those sports) what better way to promote baseball (and the Cell experience) to a young person than to place a fresh-caught foul or homer in their hand? Great idea.:D:
Everybody can take the rest of the day off!

BRDSR
02-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Giving the ball to a kid is a great idea, but I think beating the crap out of someone who throws it onto the field would be much more fun. It would also help keep the security staff in shape. :wink:

ps We should give the same treatment to anyone trying to start "the wave". :D:

Thank you! I've been trying to spread that news for years now. Everytime I bring a non-Sox fan friend to Sox Park and a wave starts, they always ask me why I'm not standing for it, and I simply reply "The wave is not done at Sox Park," which of course isn't true since everyone and their mother can see the wave going on at that very moment. Then they call me all sorts of names like "party pooper" and "that boring guy." I've also noticed that the White Sox have a higher tendency to lose games in which "the wave" is performed. I think we do need a public service announcement to that effect.

As for balls into the stands...I got to a game early once when the Sox were finishing up warmups and Damaso Marte tossed me a ball lying on the outfield grass. I brought it home and within days it had been chewed up by my dog. It was just a BP ball but I was still kind of bummed about it. Maybe this year is my year for a real ball.

NonetheLoaiza
02-01-2005, 01:46 PM
I've got a similar story to the one about Sosa. My friend and I were at one of the Tigers-Sox games late last season and we were taunting Higginson in RF so badly.It was the game where Higginson killed us (wait, i guess that doesn't narrow it down enough). Though I don't condone it, my friend was shouting obscenities and gave Higginson the finger. At the end of the inning, Higginson looked in our direction and tossed us the ball, but kind of chucked it pretty hard. My friend got it, but gave it to this little girl as we were walking out of the park.

Jerome
02-01-2005, 01:55 PM
They should make like a sarcastic video to show at the Cell depicting someone throwing a home run ball back, then show the right thing to do, giving it to a kid.

(Of course when I went the Bulls game a week ago Friday and Jared Reiner gave me a t shirt I did not give it to the little kid in front of me)

Clembasbal
02-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Two things from me.

1) I love the wave idea (as well as this one). The wave must be stopped, it hasn't been cool since 1993 when the top and bottom sections at Comisky Park II were in synch. Myself, and others in my LF section yell at people when they either try and start it or do it.

2) It was mentioned that anybody who throws anything on the field should be tossed. Well they should! The only problem is that even when people don't throw garbage out it gets on the field, then the place looks like Wrigley Field after a call gaoes against the Cubs. We should make sure to toss everything in the trashcan, but that is not happen. Anything on the field looks bad.

A. Cavatica
02-01-2005, 11:17 PM
That is a great idea! Last year I caught my first ball, a foul pop up from the great Joe Borchard. :D: Since it was my first I kept it...

I would never throw a ball back, but I might make an exception if I caught a Borchard foul pop.

Nellie_Fox
02-01-2005, 11:53 PM
The wave...hasn't been cool since 1993...The wave was never cool.

Two By Four
02-02-2005, 12:41 AM
This is a great idea. In fact, I am dubbing it Grinder Rule #47. Needs to be part of the marketing. Should be printed on the side of cups at Cellular. Something like:

Grinder Ball Rule #47:

In the unlikely event that a player from the opposing team turns a lucky swing into a home run ball here at US Cellular Field and an unsuspecting Sox fan catches said ball, he or she should NOT throw the ball back into the field of play.

Doing so sends a false message of hope and acknowledgment that this run somehow actually matters, when in fact it serves only as a spark that simultaneously ignites the fires of Sox Pride, Sox Team Defense, and Sox Fireworks.

Rather, the proper way to handle this unfortunate event is to locate the nearest young fan and give the ball to them. They will be delighted with the gift.

NOTE: It is important, however, that you locate an especially young Sox fan on which to bestow this "gift", as our fans tend to know more about baseball by the age of six than most other fans know by sixty. So choose wisely or you will force this young person to fake sincere appreciation (out of respect for the Black & White you are wearing), only to then give the ball to a Cubs fan—who would then throw it back on to the field.

BigMo
02-02-2005, 01:59 AM
I have a question i have been meaning to send to Brooks, could you guys tell me what his email address is?

Clembasbal
02-02-2005, 06:48 AM
The wave was never cool.

Maybe not, but I was 11 years old then, so I thought it was.

Randar68
02-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I sent him the following email yesterday:

Well done. Big pet peeve of mine as well. I also occasionally yell at people doing the wave, LOL!

Irishsox1
02-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I don't have a problem with the wave, yes its lame, but it doesn't stop the game. Throwing a homerun back on the field delays the game and its dangerous (might hit a player...or ump).

However, when I caught a homerun at the Cell last year hit by some wash-up from Texas, some big fat dude started yelling at me to throw it back. He said that that as a White Sox fan, I should throw it back. I said that as a Sox fan myself, I was gonna give it to my nephew. He then called me a closet cub fan, which didn't make any sense, but it's this mentality that is often present at any baseball stadium. "Throw it back" is the streaking of this decade.

Sad
02-02-2005, 12:15 PM
yeah- throwing it back is lame & I never understood it regardless of where the game's played...

I'm betting alot of balls that are "traditionally thrown back" from the bleachers at Wrigley are not the "actual ball" that was just hit out there... whose to say they're not throwing back a ball purchased at a sporting goods store they brought to the game?

not sure...

keep it or give it to someone who will appreciate it