PDA

View Full Version : Who would you most like to be a SOX fan?

Church Turtle
02-01-2005, 09:51 AM
I was discussing the movie Ground Hog Day with a colleague. Afterward I was thinking about how much I liked the movie and thought, "Man, it's too bad Bill Murray is a fan of the team on the north side of town."
Then I thought about that again. Am I really saddened by that? Really?
And after a little more reflection I came to the conclusion that I could care less. In fact you hear of different famous people being fans of that particular team and you hear about fans of other teams that are famous (Jerry Seinfeld - Mets, Ben AFLAC - Bosox) but you don't hear about too many famous people who say they are fans of the SOX.
And I've decided that I prefer it that way.:cool:
Part of the beauty of the SOX isn't that you go to the game to be seen on TV, or with Jack Nicholson or whatever. Nah, you go to the Cell to see your team play and hopefully win. The only stars at the game are on the field, and most of them seem like the kind of guys you could hang out with when they aren't on the field. (Oh yeah - I could be fishing with Konerko "Hand me that jig-n-pig there Paul")
SO... finally the point of this. Who would you most like to suddenly find out is as big a SOX fan as you? :smile: Not the famous person that showed up on Jay Leno or Letterman with a SOX hat on. Someone you look up to, or someone you just would like to have something in common with.
I vote for my mechanic.
Who do you vote for?

HomeFish
02-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Before Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado, Matt Clement, Carl Pavano, Jarret Wright, etc. all signed with their current teams, I would have given them as answers.

For now, let's say next year's big FA's, whoever they may be.

SEALgep
02-01-2005, 10:19 AM
George W :bandance:

HomeFish
02-01-2005, 10:20 AM
George W

Has a Cub fan in his cabinet. :(:

tacosalbarojas
02-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Mark Cuban.

SEALgep
02-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Mark Cuban.Better yet

SEALgep
02-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Has a Cub fan in his cabinet. :(:It's cool, he likes the Rangers anyhow. Certainly wouldn't mind if he saw the light though.:D:

Rocky Soprano
02-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Donald Trump

Michael Jordan (yeah he played for the Barons, but 2 years ago he also was seen partying with the Flubs)

Over By There
02-01-2005, 10:30 AM
My newborn son.

jake27
02-01-2005, 10:33 AM
jerry springer is actually a white sox fan. ive seen him and the bald body guard guy (the name of him slips my mind now) at a few games a year.

DSpivack
02-01-2005, 10:46 AM
The Fiery Furnaces. Wait, they already are. What may be their worst song on their new album, Blueberry Boat, is an homage to the 1917 White Sox, with references to many players on the team and other cultural images of the time. Still don't understand the point of the song, but can't really understand the point of any of their songs. (They're just a couple of Jewish siblings, Matt and Eleanor Friedberger, from Oak Park)

tebman
02-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Barack Obama.

- tebman

SOXintheBURGH
02-01-2005, 11:49 AM
jerry springer is actually a white sox fan. ive seen him and the bald body guard guy (the name of him slips my mind now) at a few games a year.

STEVE!!

Jerry Springer lives in Frankfort, where I grew up, which is a White Sox town.

SEALgep
02-01-2005, 11:56 AM
STEVE!!

Jerry Springer lives in Frankfort, where I grew up, which is a White Sox town.Steve has season tickets to the Flubs.

SEALgep
02-01-2005, 11:56 AM
My newborn son.Congratulations, I'm sure you'll put him on the right path. Cheers. :gulp:

santo=dorf
02-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Springer is a Yankees and Reds fan.

I wouldn't mind seeing the owner of IKEA coming to a few games on the South Side next year.:cool:

White Sox Randy
02-01-2005, 12:02 PM
all the baywatch babes were Sox fans !

SOXintheBURGH
02-01-2005, 12:07 PM
all the baywatch babes were Sox fans !

I wouldn't mind if it was still 1993 too... :o:

Church Turtle
02-01-2005, 12:11 PM
My newborn son.
Let me join in here. Congrats!
His name?
Can you post a pic?

SOXintheBURGH
02-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Let me join in here. Congrats!
His name?
Can you post a pic?

:gulp:

Congratulations are definitely in order! The world needs more Sox fans!

:gulp:

cwsfannick
02-01-2005, 12:19 PM
The entire population of the north side. Then there would be no need for the Flubs to exist.:smile:

White Sox Randy
02-01-2005, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't mind if it was still 1993 too... :o:

I was just trying to think of a group of hot women. I guess I'm gettin old .

ZachAL
02-01-2005, 12:40 PM

Springer actually sat right in front of me a few years back at a game against the yankees, and he is indeed a yankees fan like someone already posted. He was only there because the yankees were playing.

Sad
02-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Springer...

Hoo Hah.

I'm glad he's not a White SOX fan...

DumpJerry
02-01-2005, 12:50 PM
I like the Marc Cuban and Michael Jordan nominations. I always felt that MJ should bu the team from him old nemisis Jerry. MJ could sigmn the big name FA's a bargain basement prices because they idolize him and want to work for him. However, MJ would probably be in the dugout at each game and Lord help the soul who strikes out with the winning run on Third in the bottom of the Ninth for the third out.........

jake27
02-01-2005, 01:52 PM
ok nevermind... count me wrong about the springer thing... thank for the clarification

eastchicagosoxfan
02-01-2005, 02:11 PM
We're Sox fans. I could care less what celebrities are associated with the team. That's the stuff Cub's fans worry about. The Stever is a Sox fan, that's plenty for me.

Mickster
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM

You probably saw him at the Sox-Yankees games. He's actually not a Sox fan (Steff asked him point blank).

Edit: Sorry, already answered above.

02-01-2005, 02:18 PM
George W :bandance:

Well George Wendt is a Sox Fan!! So theres your George W!

akingamongstmen
02-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Bill Gates' accountant.

Ol' No. 2
02-01-2005, 02:42 PM
My newborn son.Congrats. Is this your first? If so, being a baseball fan is about to take on a whole new meaning.

Church Turtle
02-01-2005, 03:31 PM
We're Sox fans. I could care less what celebrities are associated with the team. That's the stuff Cub's fans worry about. The Stever is a Sox fan, that's plenty for me.

yeah. that was kind of my point. I'm amused when I hear Joe Moviestar telling Matt Lauer how wonderful his beloved (expletive deleted to protect the young) are and how he sang Take Me Out To The Ballgame etc. etc. and I DON'T hear hollywood phonies raving about the SOX.
BUT, is there someone you respect that you'd like to find out is a SOX fan. Not necessarilly someone famous.

Cellview22
02-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Don't Care! As long as Brooks is a fan... :bandance:

doublem23
02-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Some owner of a bar down here in Peoria so I can drink and watch the Sox without the oppressive Cub/Cardinal bull**** down here. Anybody familiar with a good Sox bar in the Peoria Metro/North Central Illinois area? I sure as hell can't find one.

KarkoFan1
02-01-2005, 04:50 PM
I am a new member just wanted to chime in with a celebrity.

I believe Bernie Mac is a big fan. I know he "Sang Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the Flubs playoff run in 2003, but he is a Southside guy and I have heard he loves the Sox.

Check out this website he talks about Comiskey:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_38_228/ai_n6206373

SoxFan76
02-01-2005, 04:56 PM
My vote goes for Over By There's new kid. The most important fans are the kids who are creating a new generation of Sox fans.

I think I'm going to e-mail Brooks and ask who he wants to be a Sox fan.

Over By There
02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Wow, thanks for the interest in my son. Actually, I have one boy that's 14 months, so probably not considered a newborn anymore, and another boy due March 31. Yes, you read that right. 16 months apart.

Anyhow, my 14-month-old (Adam's the name) actually went to his first game last year, despite the protestations of the no-kids-at-games crew around here. We sat in the UD, safely out of harms way. Went on a Saturday night, and he seemed to enjoy the surroundings, but we had to leave during the fireworks as he got pretty freaked out.

I would post a picture of him all decked out in his Sox garb (beleive me he has tons), but posting pictures of kids on the Internet kind of weirds me out... thanks again for the kind thoughts.

Ol' No. 2
02-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Wow, thanks for the interest in my son. Actually, I have one boy that's 14 months, so probably not considered a newborn anymore, and another boy due March 31. Yes, you read that right. 16 months apart.

Anyhow, my 14-month-old (Adam's the name) actually went to his first game last year, despite the protestations of the no-kids-at-games crew around here. We sat in the UD, safely out of harms way. Went on a Saturday night, and he seemed to enjoy the surroundings, but we had to leave during the fireworks as he got pretty freaked out.

I would post a picture of him all decked out in his Sox garb (beleive me he has tons), but posting pictures of kids on the Internet kind of weirds me out... thanks again for the kind thoughts.Are you going to name the next one Brooks?:D:

Over By There
02-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Are you going to name the next one Brooks?:D:

Yes, and I will email him incessantly. :D:

Church Turtle
02-01-2005, 07:11 PM
I would post a picture of him all decked out in his Sox garb (beleive me he has tons), but posting pictures of kids on the Internet kind of weirds me out... thanks again for the kind thoughts.

Now that you mention it... probably a good idea. (Good news is Michael Jackson's not a SOX fan.)

Anyway, congratulations. Guess you could say you've got one little SOX fan up, one little SOX fan on deck. Good luck with the March arrival!:D:

chisox06
02-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Do celebrities care about what baseball team I root for? I doubt it, so why do I care about them? Because there on TV?

zach074
02-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Bill Gates anyone?:bandance:

JUribe1989
02-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Here are some more notable celebrity Sox fans, and these are people that I am greatly satisified with rather than the fairweater celebs who chase a fad and go with the Cubs. Bernie Mac is no Sox fan, he criticizes them constantly, which would be ok, if he didn't sing the 7th inning stretch at the Urinal.

Celebrity Sox fans
1. Rapper Kanye West
2. Rapper Twista
3. Chicago Bulls Radio announcer Bill Wennington
4. Bears cornerback Charles "Peanut" Tillman who threw out the first pitch on 7/23/04 against the Tiggers.
5. Former Chicago Bulls forward Will Perdue
Honorable Mention: Julia Roberts went to a Sox game when filming "My Best Friend's Wedding" in Chicago.

doublem23
02-01-2005, 09:49 PM
I know Bernie Mac is no longer a Sox fan (he did an interview with ESPN the Magazine and said that he dropped the Sox for the Cubs when Shammy got dealt. Maybe he loves the O's now) and I am pretty sure Kanye West has been quoted to be a Twins fan.

chisoxmike
02-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Um, who really cares if/what celebratites are Sox fans. Remember the world series, it was more like the Ben Afflack series. Do you want the games to be cut with shots of celebs in their row 1 seats? I could care less.

bahn1225
02-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Celebrity Sox fans
1. Rapper Kanye West
2. Rapper Twista
3. Chicago Bulls Radio announcer Bill Wennington
4. Bears cornerback Charles "Peanut" Tillman who threw out the first pitch on 7/23/04 against the Tiggers.
5. Former Chicago Bulls forward Will Perdue
Honorable Mention: Julia Roberts went to a Sox game when filming "My Best Friend's Wedding" in Chicago.

I feel that if the general public hasn't heard of them they really aren't celebrities.
All of the above and Jerry Springer are "B List" at best
(except, of course, Julia Roberts. I'd attend EVERY GAME if she were there.)

The original post of Bill Murray would be great but he's taken.
I like Kevin Kline but he a "Pirates" fan.
I've always admired David Letterman but he's a fan of the "Reds".
Tom Hanks would be great but he's a die-hard "Indians" fan.

Come to think of it, this sucks!

The WHITE SOX have been around for a long, long, long time.
There must be someone of fame that is a fan.
We can do better than this.

guillen4life13
02-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Muddy Waters was a Sox fan. Eddie Vedder used to be a Sox fan (and he was very good friends with Jack McDowell, even before PJ got famous).

I don't know many who are though.

popilius
02-01-2005, 11:10 PM
I had heard Pat Sajak (host of Wheel of Fortune) is a Sox fan, but I found out that he was also a Cubs fan, which certainly cancels it out.

I got the following (disturbing) Sajak quote from http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040319&content_id=641957&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

"I grew up in Chicago and lived and -- mostly -- died with the Cubs," he said. "But, oddly enough, I was one of those rare breeds of Chicagoans who loved both the Cubs and the White Sox. In fact, my first game was at old Comiskey Park. Because we lived close to it, I attended many more games there than I did at Wrigley. Bill Veeck owned the (White Sox) at the time, and he introduced the exploding scoreboard, players' names on the uniforms, new baseballs coming from some underground device behind home plate, a picnic area, and so many other innovations. But, for me, his best move was making every home Sunday date a doubleheader. For a buck-and-a-half I could watch six hours of baseball from the left field upper deck." :gulp:

SOXintheBURGH
02-01-2005, 11:13 PM
I had heard Pat Sajak (host of Wheel of Fortune) is a Sox fan, but I found out that he was also a Cubs fan, which certainly cancels it out.

I got the following (disturbing) Sajak quote from http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040319&content_id=641957&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

"I grew up in Chicago and lived and -- mostly -- died with the Cubs," he said. "But, oddly enough, I was one of those rare breeds of Chicagoans who loved both the Cubs and the White Sox. In fact, my first game was at old Comiskey Park. Because we lived close to it, I attended many more games there than I did at Wrigley. Bill Veeck owned the (White Sox) at the time, and he introduced the exploding scoreboard, players' names on the uniforms, new baseballs coming from some underground device behind home plate, a picnic area, and so many other innovations. But, for me, his best move was making every home Sunday date a doubleheader. For a buck-and-a-half I could watch six hours of baseball from the left field upper deck." :gulp:

Sajak is totally a Sox fan, he's from Joliet. I remember watching awhile back and this loser guy playing said he was a "Die hard Cubs fan," Sajak shrugs and says "Yeah, well, I like the White Sox."

SOX ADDICT '73
02-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Who would you most like to suddenly find out is as big a SOX fan as you?
God.

Sox Laundry Guy
02-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Sadahuru Oh. He'd have a welcome wagon.

And Desi Arnaz.

Shorty1983
02-02-2005, 01:21 AM
Bruce Wolf is a Sox fan.

Dan Jiggets can go to hell.

Sad
02-02-2005, 07:48 AM
feh

:threadblows:

CubsfansareDRUNK
02-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Jerry Reinsdorf

BigEdWalsh
02-02-2005, 07:58 AM
feh

:threadblows:

I'll second that. Really, who gives a ****?

Church Turtle
02-02-2005, 08:41 AM
I was discussing the movie Ground Hog Day with a colleague. Afterward I was thinking about how much I liked the movie and thought, "Man, it's too bad Bill Murray is a fan of the team on the north side of town."
Then I thought about that again. Am I really saddened by that? Really?
And after a little more reflection I came to the conclusion that I could care less. In fact you hear of different famous people being fans of that particular team and you hear about fans of other teams that are famous (Jerry Seinfeld - Mets, Ben AFLAC - Bosox) but you don't hear about too many famous people who say they are fans of the SOX.
And I've decided that I prefer it that way.:cool:
Part of the beauty of the SOX isn't that you go to the game to be seen on TV, or with Jack Nicholson or whatever. Nah, you go to the Cell to see your team play and hopefully win. The only stars at the game are on the field, and most of them seem like the kind of guys you could hang out with when they aren't on the field. (Oh yeah - I could be fishing with Konerko "Hand me that jig-n-pig there Paul")
SO... finally the point of this. Who would you most like to suddenly find out is as big a SOX fan as you? :smile: Not the famous person that showed up on Jay Leno or Letterman with a SOX hat on. Someone you look up to, or someone you just would like to have something in common with.
I vote for my mechanic.
Who do you vote for?

Looked like Big Ed and a few others had missed my point. :?: Again, I don't care if Brad Pitt or ZaZu Pitts is a SOX fan, but it'd be cool to find out that my new brother -in-law is one. Suddenly we have something in common to yack about other than my mother-in-law.:cool:
Sorry for any confusion.

whitesoxwilkes
02-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Barack Obama.

- tebman

Obama is an avowed Sox fan.

BigEdWalsh
02-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Looked like Big Ed and a few others had missed my point. :?: Again, I don't care if Brad Pitt or ZaZu Pitts is a SOX fan, but it'd be cool to find out that my new brother -in-law is one. Suddenly we have something in common to yack about other than my mother-in-law.:cool:
Sorry for any confusion.

Oh contrare! I got YOUR point, a few others were getting carried away with the celebrity worship.
Zazu Pitts?! :kneeslap: Gale Storm? Stormy Weather?

ja1022
02-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Oprah, Rush Limbaugh, Ben Afleck, Matt Damon, Billy Crystal, Ronnie "Woo-Woo" Wickers, Richard Simmons, Chip Carrey, Tim McCarver and The San Diego Chicken.

DC Sox Fan
02-02-2005, 09:18 AM
sorry to keep this off your original topic, turtle. But I was checking to see if there was any reference of Obama being a Sox fan and came across a great quote on some board from a Sox fan:

"Cubs fan?" Hey, our hero is from the South side of Chicago, which means that like all good Chicago pols, he is a WHITE SOX fan. To me it's perfect, White Sox fans are crazy, the insane, partisan fighters who want their guys to win. Never forget, we hold the record. We haven't won a playoff series since 1918, easily a record. Bostons may get to an occasional series the cubs may have hope, we have only hate, and we are relying on Obama to bring us to the promised land.

:D: just had to share that one.

SOXintheBURGH
02-02-2005, 09:26 AM
sorry to keep this off your original topic, turtle. But I was checking to see if there was any reference of Obama being a Sox fan and came across a great quote on some board from a Sox fan:

:D: just had to share that one.

Yeah but Mike Wilbon and Bernie Mac will tell anyone they know that they're from the South Side and look what happened to them. :angry:

I just want to see Obama walk into Congress wearing a Sox hat.

chisoxlady
02-02-2005, 09:27 AM
My Dad. If he had been a Sox fan, or a baseball fan for that matter, I maybe would have discovered my love of the game much earlier in my long life.