PDA

View Full Version : Brooks contemplating "Sammy" promotion?

Realist
02-01-2005, 05:17 AM
Sammy driving up ticket sales (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox01.html)

''Sammy is a big draw, and there will be people here to boo and Sammy fans who will cheer,'' said Boyer, who is waiting for the trade to become official before thinking too much about the May weekend.
''I hoping to have Sammy promotion suggestions [from Sox fans],'' Boyer said. "Maybe we'll smash a boombox or something. I'll let the fans let us know.''

SSN721
02-01-2005, 06:13 AM
I would definitely show up for that "smash the boombox" event, that would be awesome. Well, done tastefully anyway. But it would be pretty funny. :smile:

DrCrawdad
02-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Sox ticket sales aren't as brisk, and Boyer would like to help out by making the Orioles series a memorable one not only for Sox fans, but also for Sosa.

''I hoping to have Sammy promotion suggestions [from Sox fans],'' Boyer said. "Maybe we'll smash a boombox or something. I'll let the fans let us know.'' - Sun-Times, February 1, 2005

So my Sox fan friends, what should the promotion be?

hsnterprize
02-01-2005, 08:19 AM
How about giving away a toy that grows in water symbolizing the super-quick growth Sammy did after leaving the Sox.

...and we all know it was all natural, right?

gosox41
02-01-2005, 08:21 AM

Free hot dogs in honor of Sammy's ego.

Or if the Sox lose, fans can leave the game early and get their money back.:D:

Bob

hsnterprize
02-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Or how about this...a Sosa bobblehead doll with a special inflatable head. Squeeze the head, and you'll see for yourself just how big Sammy's head got over the years.

Palehose13
02-01-2005, 08:23 AM

That quote from Brooks is great, but I'm afraid if we get Gallagher in to smash a boom box that might lead to Disco Demolition II. What about a "sneezy" figurine made out of cork?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2005, 08:27 AM

The Sox would be very foolish to do anything "special" for Sammy Sosa. It brings out the very worst in Sox Fans. If Brooks is seriously contemplating this, he is making a HUGE mistake.

The Fraud is gone from the Cubs and their idiot fans won't be getting in our face about it anymore. This is a great opportunity to make a clean break and start IGNORING Sammy.

Have Harold Baines give him an Old Comiskey "rocking chair" the day he retires. The way Scammy's career is going downhill, the Sox won't have to wait too long.

:cool:

Terry21fg
02-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Turn the regular Bat Day into "Corked Bat Day" with Sammy's signature on it.

mjharrison72
02-01-2005, 08:43 AM
How about giving away a toy that grows in water symbolizing the super-quick growth Sammy did after leaving the Sox.

...and we all know it was all natural, right?
Brilliant... a Grow-in-the-Tub Sosa!
Where you at, Brooks?

Rocky Soprano
02-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Make it a kids type of promotion and hand out Flinstone Vitamins.

Mickster
02-01-2005, 08:52 AM
The Sox would be very foolish to do anything "special" for Sammy Sosa. It brings out the very worst in Sox Fans. If Brooks is seriously contemplating this, he is making a HUGE mistake.

The Fraud is gone from the Cubs and their idiot fans won't be getting in our face about it anymore. This is a great opportunity to make a clean break and start IGNORING Sammy.

Have Harold Baines give him an Old Comiskey "rocking chair" the day he retires. The way Scammy's career is going downhill, the Sox won't have to wait too long.

Agreed. Do nothing.

HebrewHammer
02-01-2005, 08:52 AM
What do you call those sponges that grow when they get sprayed with water? Whatever they are give them away.

I still like the smashing a boombox idea, make sure its BLARING salsa music before smashing.

Sad
02-01-2005, 08:54 AM
well if they're going to do anything (personally, I wouldn't), I guess I'd second the idea of the corked bat giveaway... or maybe those mini-bats.

Ol' No. 2
02-01-2005, 09:10 AM

:cool:I'm with George on this one. We should concentrate on our own team.

jabrch
02-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Bring Steve Dahl back (Pat?) to smash Sammy's boombox!

No - I agree with PHG and others. Do nothing for him - that's more than he deserves.

Palehose13
02-01-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm with George on this one. We should concentrate on our own team.

Well yeah, but it sure is fun to think about things that could be done.

I'd stay away from mini-bats. Remember what happened when that was the promo item for the minor league team on the northside. :wink:

Jerko
02-01-2005, 09:20 AM
If Scammy was still on the Cubs, I would think it a waste of time to do a "promotion" about him. To do one now with him gone makes us look really pitiful IMO. Like someone said earlier, let's worry about our own team. Does that mean I won't boo his ass if I'm any of those Oriole games? Hell no, but to have a promotion dissing him make us look really petty IMO. We all know he's a lying, cheating, wife-beating ass.

DC Sox Fan
02-01-2005, 09:25 AM
We all know he's a lying, cheating, wife-beating ass What about Hanes or Fruit of the Loom sponsoring "Scammy SoSo Wife Beater Day"? Everyone receives a free Tenement Tee!!!

Church Turtle
02-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Jerko, Mickster and PaleHoseGeorge - I'm with you. I think it would be taking the focus away from what looks to be a great SOX team. AND don't forget, the north side fans are split on Sammy. Some of them would come to the Cell to boo him too. I'd rather just ignore him in an official capacity and if the fans want to boo him off the field then that's great.
The little ball-player shaped sponge item that grows when thrown in water was a funny suggestion even if I don't think we should do anything.:D:

jackbrohamer
02-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Give a carton of Tropicana to the first 10,000 fans showing up, because Sosa's on the "juice.'

chaz171
02-01-2005, 09:30 AM
As humourous as an inflatable head would be....

I have to side with George and #2 on this one......
a team that wants to win concentrates on winning and promoting a winning team.

Leave the slams to the Unauthorized T-shirt Vendors.....like the one you used to buy under the bridge before games in the old park....

Procol Harum
02-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Some funny reponses, but I'm definitely with the "Don't do nothin'" faction. There's no need either to publicize this goof any further or to lower our own sense of dignity.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Here's a thought. If the Sox want to do something to stoke ticket sales for Scammy's first game back in Chicago, why not choose that game to HONOR the most accomplished hitter in the history of Chicago Baseball, Frank Thomas.

This keeps the focus on OUR TEAM, tramples over all the fake crap Scammy put up, and puts Cubs fans into a tough bind: show up at the Cell and honor Frank or stay home and leave the spotlight for Frank and Sox Fans to enjoy for ourselves.

Who says you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Baby Fisk
02-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Jerko, Mickster and PaleHoseGeorge - I'm with you.
Me too. A Sammy Sosa promotion at a Sox game? *** is the point?! :?: Belongs on the same ash heap as a Bartman day.

Tekijawa
02-01-2005, 09:40 AM
How about Willie Harris Runs the Bases day when Sammy comes to town? Although the Boombox Smashing is clever and could maybe done "unofficially" I don't think it would be good for us and I'd hate to see what the papers would write about it!

Jerko
02-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Don't forget, Scammy is an attention whore. Cub fans booing him might have made him cry, but if Sox fans IGNORE him, that will hurt him worse than any booing. Unless we all wear Cub jerseys that day. Plus, what would Chris Vermin say?

DC Sox Fan
02-01-2005, 09:50 AM
I actually think a better idea would be a promotion on the game of that series that Ponson starts:

Racing Rapids Water Action Park presents Sidney Ponson day. Use your ticket stub to get 1/2 off admission to Racing Rapids

Viva Medias B's
02-01-2005, 09:55 AM
I agree with PHG that we should do nothing when Sosa returns. I admit that the ideas were funny, however.

Not that we should do anything when that happens, but what kind of promotions should we come up with when Mágglio returns in a visitor's uniform?

BigEdWalsh
02-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Here's a thought. If the Sox want to do something to stoke ticket sales for Scammy's first game back in Chicago, why not choose that game to HONOR the most accomplished hitter in the history of Chicago Baseball, Frank Thomas.

While there have been some really funny ideas, this is the only one that makes sense. What better way to observe Sham-Me's return to Chicago than to honor The Big Hurt in front of The Big Scam?

chaz171
02-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Jerry likes the Taco Promotion from Taco Bell at Bulls Games When the Bull Scores 100+ points.

Sammy k's 3 times= a Chimichanga!

TheTwinsMustDie
02-01-2005, 10:07 AM

This keeps the focus on OUR TEAM, tramples over all the fake crap Scammy put up, and puts Cubs fans into a tough bind: show up at the Cell and honor Frank or stay home and leave the spotlight for Frank and Sox Fans to enjoy for ourselves.

I give a big 'ol second to this idea..........I agree that it keeps the focus on the Sox in honoring a player has achieved success through his own NATURAL talent and skills. In addition, it indirectly, slaps around the Scrubbie/Sammy fans without being tasteless.......C'mon WSI, lets push this idea!!

24thStFan
02-01-2005, 10:29 AM
I give a big 'ol second to this idea..........I agree that it keeps the focus on the Sox in honoring a player has achieved success through his own NATURAL talent and skills. In addition, it indirectly, slaps around the Scrubbie/Sammy fans without being tasteless.......C'mon WSI, lets push this idea!!

You got my vote. Honoring Frank on a day when Sammy is town is brilliant. Let's do it!:gulp:

Clement's beard
02-01-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm going to email Brooks on this and tell him to not do anything. It will once again make Sox fans and the organization seem obsessed with the cubs. It's even worse when you consider the fact Sosa is now an Oriole. He played the "us VS them" card last year and it blew up in his face.

Brooks needs to get over the cubs.

JKryl
02-01-2005, 10:34 AM
I would definitely show up for that "smash the boombox" event, that would be awesome. Well, done tastefully anyway. But it would be pretty funny. :smile:

WE COULD CALL IT SALSA DEMOLITION DAY!!

jake27
02-01-2005, 10:35 AM
how about bring in a piece of cork and then you get buy 1 get 1 free tickets or one of them thundersticks to annoy the heck out of him with

Ol' No. 2
02-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm going to email Brooks on this and tell him to not do anything. It will once again make Sox fans and the organization seem obsessed with the cubs. It's even worse when you consider the fact Sosa is now an Oriole. He played the "us VS them" card last year and it blew up in his face.

Brooks needs to get over the cubs.I wouldn't say the Us vs. Them blew up in his face. But once is enough. Don't overdo it. Honoring Thomas instead is a good idea, but that's usually the kind of thing you do when a player is retiring.

DC Sox Fan
02-01-2005, 10:36 AM
WE COULD CALL IT SALSA DEMOLITION DAY!!

YES, YES, YYYYYYESSS!!!! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT!!

:tealpolice:
This thing makes me laugh so hard every time I see it I almost cry. And now I get to post it :D:

JKryl
02-01-2005, 10:37 AM

What?? And alienate himself from 95 % of the Sox fans? Come on may, the second best part of being a Sox fan is hating the Scrubs.

chaz171
02-01-2005, 10:37 AM
In all seriousness, Frank Does Deserve Something for his career here. he is still one of the best Right handed hitters of all time. He is a Career Chicago White Sox!

I think this would be the Best time to honor one of Chicago's too Few great Players.

How may players had hall of fame careers that played Exclusively for one Chicago team?

Jordan? nope
Aparicio? nope
Payton? yes
Appling? yes
Banks? who cares!!!!

Frank Thomas? as of now yes

How about to commemorate all of Frank's 1st innings homers to put the sox ahead early?

Palehose13
02-01-2005, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't say the Us vs. Them blew up in his face. But once is enough. Don't overdo it. Honoring Thomas instead is a good idea, but that's usually the kind of thing you do when a player is retiring.

I really like the idea of honoring Frank when the O's are in town. However, the last time I was at a game that honored an active player was Carlton Fisk night...and we all know how that ended. :(:

Hokiesox
02-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Well, I'll definitely only be going to Orioles park this year the weekend of July 31-August 3. Thank god for the Nationals, and I won't have to watch Scammy more than the 4 games the Sox play here. Thanks to this pickup, my butt will be at RFK more often this season to see baseball.

As for a promotion at the Cell, I agree that nothing should be done. Cheer for our own team, not against the other. Besides, by May, we'll be 10 games ahead of the Twins.

duke of dorwood
02-01-2005, 10:41 AM
:reinsy

Note to ticket office:

Add this series to premium game status and collect the difference at the gate from those who already have them.

Palehose13
02-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Actually, instead of singling out Frank the White Sox honor all of the great Sox hitters in White Sox history. This, of course, would exclude a certain Sox player that wore "25" in the late 80's early 90's.

Dadawg_77
02-01-2005, 10:42 AM

Actually the Sox should wait till Sept to do that. Since all indications right now are saying this is Frank's last season with the White Sox, that night should be held on the last home stand of the year.

Only bad would come from doing something special for Sammy, since Cub fans already accuse Sox fans of rather seeing the Cubs lose then the Sox win. Why should we give them more ammo for their false accusations?

SpammySosa
02-01-2005, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't say the Us vs. Them blew up in his face. But once is enough. Don't overdo it. Honoring Thomas instead is a good idea, but that's usually the kind of thing you do when a player is retiring.

Well it doesn't have to be an on-field presentation, but perhaps some kind of commerative giveaway promotion and video highlights.

OEO Magglio
02-01-2005, 11:23 AM

Agreed, this wouldn't be a good move.

Fungo
02-01-2005, 12:04 PM

Excellent idea. As someone said earlier, some of the promotion ideas are funny, but if there was a give-away such as cork or a bobblehead, it's gonna end up being thrown at Sosa* by a bunch of knucklehead "fans" and real Sox fans end up with the bad rap in the end.

MIgrenade
02-01-2005, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't do anything, personally, but the Sneezy figure made of cork is really clever and wouldn't require fans to handle tools of destruction, like bats. Doing nothing hardly separates Boyer from 95% of the fans. Sosa isn't on the Cubs anymore so who cares if he keeps playing.
I support F. Thomas.

Brian26
02-01-2005, 12:40 PM

This is one of the most brilliant ideas I've ever heard. Force all of the schmuck media-types (Giangreco, etc) to pay homage to Frank Thomas. I love it.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2005, 12:50 PM
This is one of the most brilliant ideas I've ever heard. Force all of the schmuck media-types (Giangreco, etc) to pay homage to Frank Thomas. I love it.

Yeah, but Joe Cowley would probably ask Frank a bunch of leading questions about renegotiating his contract and spoil the mood. Maybe only half of that should be in teal?
:wink:

I agree Giangreco would practically have a nervous breakdown.

:giangreco
"No Flubbie bear Sammy? No empty blue seats? And I have to honor Frank's accomplishments, too???"
<faints>

:hurt
"I should be coming back from the DL right about the time Baltimore visits the Cell, too."

:bandance:

maurice
02-01-2005, 02:48 PM

I agree.

Plus, I'm not sure ownership would go for it. Didn't a Sox DJ get fired for less?

hsnterprize
02-01-2005, 04:27 PM

:cool:After reading some of the posts...even though this is a funny thread, I agree. Let's not give the devil and due when he comes to our part of town. The idea of honoring Frank Thomas though would be a hoot for making Cubs fans cringe in our place.

But here's another "promotional idea"...the first 10,000 fans get a commemorate Sammy Sosa mini bat with a removable cork barrel. When you open the top, you'll hear a digitalized voice saying, "I wanna apologi for no' hittin' the homrun..."

NSSoxFan
02-01-2005, 04:33 PM
If the Sox do anything related to Sammy Sosa that weekend, I will be embarased. Listen, we are White Sox fans first, not Anti-Sammy fans.

ewokpelts
02-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Free hot dogs in honor of Sammy's ego.

Or if the Sox lose, fans can leave the game early and get their money back.:D:

Bob
well...may 12 is dollar hot dog day.
Gene

mikef1331
02-01-2005, 04:44 PM
The only thing the Sox should do for Corky's return to the Cell is have our pitchers strike him out 3-4 times a game and beat the Orioles.

ewokpelts
02-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Here's my letter to Brooks on this subject.....

Brooks,
Hi. I just read your comments in the Sun-Times. I think a great promo idea for the Orioles series should be "Frank Thomas' night. I think the Sox should honor the best slugger to ever come out of the Sox system. If not Frank, how about Harold night, to honor the best former Sox player to play in Baltimore at one point in his career? Come to think of it, Ozzie played there too, and Albert Belle...and Luis Aparacio..and....

Gene

jackbrohamer
02-02-2005, 11:47 AM
The only thing the Sox should do for Corky's return to the Cell is have our pitchers strike him out 3-4 times a game and beat the Orioles.

And have Guillen ask the umps to check his bat for cork at least once each game

SOXFAN82
02-02-2005, 12:08 PM
let's get Mike Veeck to and make a x-ray machine behind home plate and it pops up everytime sosa comes up to check his bat for cork.

:bandance:

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-02-2005, 12:16 PM

Well put - in a few year's time, all the writers in this town will be saying how "the fans" ignored the true hitter in this town, and we'll know that they did. NO ONE will asterisk Frank's #'s...ever. Honor Frank, ignore Sosa.

For fun, however, pass out mini bats made of cork that grow when added to juice. When you swing with it, you strike out. When you throw it, it hops.

Frater Perdurabo
02-02-2005, 12:16 PM
And have Guillen ask the umps to check his bat for cork at least once each game

Now that would be funny.

Agreed on honoring Frank as the greatest hitter in the history of Chicago baseball.

ode to veeck
02-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Have BALCO sponsor the event

Otherwise, do nothing.

bestkosher
02-02-2005, 02:30 PM
when they show a picture of him batting throughout the game on the scoreborad the should show his picture with steady progression of the many faces of Sammy.

Or

when they do player introductions not mention his name.

C-Dawg
02-02-2005, 04:58 PM
The irony of honoring Frank Thomas on the night Sosa is playing here at the Cell would be completely lost on him. He just wouldn't get it.

Maybe the Sox should use some bizarre picture of him on the scoreboard instead of the "regular" roster photo? Maybe a pic from his rookie year - even Sammy himself wouldn't recognize it.

Chrisaway
02-03-2005, 03:12 AM
I dont really like this idea. Next thing ya know we'll be smashing TORII HUNTER pinatas before Twins games...................Hey not a bad idea!!!!

gobears1987
02-03-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm all for a Frank Thomas day, not to say I won't boo Sammy when he goes up, but I don't want to mark his coming to Chicago any other way.

gobears1987
02-03-2005, 10:48 PM
I dont really like this idea. Next thing ya know we'll be smashing TORII HUNTER pinatas before Twins games...................Hey not a bad idea!!!!
Actually I'd have more of a reason to hate Torii than Sammy. I mean it was Hunter who ran over Burke. Sammy never did any of that.

Rush20
02-04-2005, 02:55 PM
I vote for mini corked bats. Like the small red ones they used to give away in the early 70s....:D:

have them explode open upon contact.

hsnterprize
02-04-2005, 05:27 PM
I e-mailed Brooks about this very subject, and he wrote back soon after. To paraphrase his comments, he said if anything happens during the time the O's are in town, it'll be more emphasized on the Sox rather than Sammy's return to Chicago. He also said he hopes the Sox go 4-0 against Baltimore and Sammy goes 0-4. Good thinking Brooks.

All these suggestions are funny and all, but I think we're investing too much time in thinking about how to react when Sammy comes back. Let's be like Brooks, and strive to be more PRO-active instead of RE-active. SOX PRIDE isn't about wallowing in another team's over-hyped superstar. It's about US...and what makes the Sox a helluva lot better than most think.

dcb33
02-04-2005, 05:40 PM

I would agree.

I finally got around to ordering my 9 game ticket package today and when I told the sales rep I want tix for the Friday night game vs. the O's in May the sales rep actually asked me, "You aren't planning on heckling or causing any type or disorder during that game, are you?" His question definitely caught me off guard. The Sox must be pretty concerned about what might happen that weekend if they are asking questions like that to their customers...

I wouldn't be surprised if the spike in ticket sales for these games is caused by Cubs fans who are planning on doing something stupid to demonstrate their hatred for Sammy....

Sox Laundry Guy
02-04-2005, 05:53 PM
He wouldn't know there was a promotion. He wears earplugs, and he has tunnel vision of his massive ego.

If anything, 1st 5,000 get big cardboard syringes.

BRDSR
02-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Actually I'd have more of a reason to hate Torii than Sammy. I mean it was Hunter who ran over Burke. Sammy never did any of that.

Well, I guess you can say one thing for Sosa. Sosa would never put that much effort into a baseball game.

StillMissOzzie
02-04-2005, 10:46 PM
I've got a way to kill two birds with one stone:

1) Have a Frank Thomas Day where the Sox announce that Frank will be the last White Sox player to wear #35

2) Have that day on one of the days that the Orioles are in town in May.

Coincidence? Hardly.
I don't have Brook's e-mail address handy, but give me credit for the idea if you send it off to him and he likes it.

SMO
:gulp:

Hitmen77
02-04-2005, 11:48 PM

I don't feel that e-mailing Brooks is enough for me anymore. Someone told me where he lives - i'm going to wait outside of his house until he comes home and then approach him with all of my questions and suggestions.
:tongue:

NSSoxFan
02-04-2005, 11:57 PM
This is a great thread to read. I personally love the idea of having a Frank Thomas day, and make it known it is to honor the GREATEST hitter in Chicago Baseball history. The media, as smart as they are, will pick up on this and it would become a good story IMO.

Another thing that I view as a major problem that weekend are idiot sCrUB fans coming into OUR park and trying to do something stupid like run on the field after Sosa. I have a feeling security is going to be awfully high that weekend.

Here is another thought for that weekend. How making it a weekend of honoring White Sox players of the past. Maybe have one of the days honoring the 1993-4 team, another honoring the 1983 club???

SpammySosa
02-05-2005, 10:26 AM
I've got a way to kill two birds with one stone:

1) Have a Frank Thomas Day where the Sox announce that Frank will be the last White Sox player to wear #35

2) Have that day on one of the days that the Orioles are in town in May.

Coincidence? Hardly.
I don't have Brook's e-mail address handy, but give me credit for the idea if you send it off to him and he likes it.

SMO
:gulp:

This is the 2nd post I have seen where you are concerned with receiving credit for this idea. Maybe Brooks will sugggest the team build a statue of you next to the one they will build for Frank.

flo-B-flo
02-05-2005, 11:20 AM

:cool: This is pure genius.:cool: Enough of the soso obsession. FRANK deserves to be honored more than yet another spotlight on the fraud. GO-GO SOX!

Ol' No. 2
02-05-2005, 04:26 PM
How about spousal abuse awareness night?:angry: