PDA

View Full Version : Time in 1st place in '04

SOX ADDICT '73
02-01-2005, 02:31 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this thread, but I need the help of a stat-head who may already know something that I'm too lazy to look up myself: How many days did the Sox spend in first place last season vs. how many days the Cubs and Twins led their respective divisions?

Of course winning the division was the goal for 2004, but given the circumstances of last season (sub-par winter dealings, injuries to top contributors, Crede), it seems to me that the Sox spent enough time at or near the top to make for a pretty exciting year. What do the rest of you think? (Forgive me if this thread is four months past due, but it appears that all the dealin' is done for now and I need something else to obsess over until Spring Training starts!)

chisoxmike
02-01-2005, 01:55 PM
The SOX spent 50 days in first place. (That includes days tied for 1st too)

chisoxmike
02-01-2005, 01:58 PM
The Cubs spent 17 days in first place. (Including days tied for first.)

SOX ADDICT '73
02-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks, chisoxmike. That's about what I figured, even though the media made a bigger deal out of the Cubs futile Wild Card chase near the end. Like most Sox fans, I was pissed off last year when Loser-iza was our only All-Star selection, when he admitted himself it was undeserved. But I also had a real sense of satisfaction when Shingo got that last save before the break to put us in first. I seem to remember an ESPN All-Star break special highlighting all the division leaders, and the boneheads discussed the Twins instead of the Sox!

PAPChiSox729
02-01-2005, 08:03 PM
I would be happy if the Sox were in first for one day. Just as long as that day is the last day of the regular season.

chisoxmike
02-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks, chisoxmike. That's about what I figured, even though the media made a bigger deal out of the Cubs futile Wild Card chase near the end. Like most Sox fans, I was pissed off last year when Loser-iza was our only All-Star selection, when he admitted himself it was undeserved. But I also had a real sense of satisfaction when Shingo got that last save before the break to put us in first. I seem to remember an ESPN All-Star break special highlighting all the division leaders, and the boneheads discussed the Twins instead of the Sox!

The Sox were in first place by a 1/2 game at the all star break.

HoustonAstros967
02-01-2005, 08:56 PM

I agree loaiza???? What about Konerko! He is much better than JASON GIAMBI! He deserved to be there.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-01-2005, 11:43 PM
I agree loaiza???? What about Konerko! He is much better than JASON GIAMBI! He deserved to be there.
At the time, I thought it was just Torre's way of sticking it to the Sox: "Sure, I'll add a Sox player to the All-Star team...just not any of the ones who deserve to be there." The number of Yankees (and 3rd place Indians, for that matter) on that team was appalling. Juicin' Giambi over Pauly? Javier Vasquez over Mark Buehrle? But then the morons went and traded for Loaiza a few weeks later (thank God!). Is it possible that Torre just misjudged Esteban's talent?

milrtyme28
02-02-2005, 02:02 AM
I seem to remember watching "baseball tonight" on ESPN almost every day last year when the sox were in first. On "baseball tonight" they always pan over the batting helmets of the division leaders at the beginning of the show and the entire time the sox were in first place they still showed a twins helmet. The other division leaders were always current and accurate but the twins helmet never moved even if they were in second place. anyone else notice this?

FightingBillini
02-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Thanks, chisoxmike. That's about what I figured, even though the media made a bigger deal out of the Cubs futile Wild Card chase near the end.

To play Devil's advocate, the Cubs actually were in a wild card race. The Sox never were, and they fell apart in August. The Cubs were within a few games of the WC lead most of the second half. I would say the Cubs deserved the media attention at that point, but I wont because I know the Sox wouldnt have gotten it. The Cubs were very much in the race, they just had a choke job of epic proportions. How things stood going into the last week, The Cubs SHOULD have won the wild card. The fact that the Cubs lost those games to the Mets and Reds made it all that much sweeter.:D: