PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a picture of Sosa in a SOX uniform on mlb.com?

chisoxmike
01-31-2005, 06:17 PM
I get the caption under the pic but please. This sickend me when I saw this on the mlb.com homepage.

www.mlb.com (http://www.mlb.com)

darklord23
01-31-2005, 06:54 PM
man why would they show that that was a dark era when sammy was here

RKMeibalane
01-31-2005, 07:53 PM
man why would they show that that was a dark era when sammy was here

Now that he's finally been traded, I think MLB.com is trying to pretend as though his years with the Cubs never happened. They're going to find a way to blame this on the White Sox... again.

Jabroni
01-31-2005, 07:56 PM
The MLB is trying to show fans what Sham-Me looked like before he roided up.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-31-2005, 07:59 PM
That was my guess too. He'll probably show up to O's camp looking like that.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-31-2005, 10:54 PM
I was going through some old baseball cards in preparation for SoxFest, and ran across a couple of Sosa and Bonds cards from the late 80s /early 90s. My wife, who follows baseball enough to know what those cheating caricatures look like today, refused to believe they were the same guys!

Shorty1983
02-01-2005, 12:09 AM
I was going through some old baseball cards in preparation for SoxFest, and ran across a couple of Sosa and Bonds cards from the late 80s /early 90s. My wife, who follows baseball enough to know what those cheating caricatures look like today, refused to believe they were the same guys!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/june63/sammyfro.gif"Whatchu talkin' bout Willus"

Lip Man 1
02-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Actually Sosa had a very good year with the Sox in 1990. He was the only outfielder at least in the American League (and maybe in all of baseball) to have double figures in doubles, triples, home runs, RBI's, stolen bases and outfield assists. He was the complete package.

Also according to some of his teammates that I interviewed for WSI (guys like Scott Fletcher and Cory Snyder) Sosa was a good teammate, a guy who hustled and appeared to care.

That would be an excellent question to ask someone 'in the know,' when did Sosa's attitude change and why? Since he didn't seen to have it with the Sox.

Sosa was traded to the Cubs for George Bell in large part because he didn't get along with hitting coach Walt Hriniak (he wasn't the only one as eventually the Sox fired him...) and because he was an undisiplined hitter. Obviously he learned disipline but his attitude went to hell.

Lip

Palehose13
02-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I get the caption under the pic but please. This sickend me when I saw this on the mlb.com homepage.

www.mlb.com (http://www.mlb.com)

Where? I clicked the link and he was in cubbie blue.

rdivaldi
02-01-2005, 11:23 AM
and because he was an undisiplined hitter. Obviously he learned disipline but his attitude went to hell.

Lip

I agree that SamMe was a much nicer, more grounded person when he was with the Sox. But it's quite a stretch to say that this guy ever "learned discipline".

SpammySosa
02-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Sosa was traded to the Cubs for George Bell in large part because he didn't get along with hitting coach Walt Hriniak (he wasn't the only one as eventually the Sox fired him...) and because he was an undisiplined hitter. Obviously he learned discipline but his attitude went to hell.
Lip

You forgot to mention his .233 average and 150 whiffs in '90 too.:wink: As for learning discipline,certainly to a degree, but his 2110 lifetime K's are a byproduct of the man never seeing a WAY outside pitch as well as a ball in the dirt he didn't like.Throw in his paltry 856 walks lifetime....

Rocky Soprano
02-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Where? I clicked the link and he was in cubbie blue..

I dont see it either.

SOXintheBURGH
02-01-2005, 11:51 AM
All I got was a video of Ordonez. Anyone else notice whenever ESPN or anyone else shows highlights of Ordonez hitting or playing, its always with an away jersey.. never shows him playing at the Cell. Of course, they show at bats at Wrigley Field.

chisoxmike
02-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Where? I clicked the link and he was in cubbie blue.

It was changed late Monday night when the players association approved the deal.